• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny makes $500 million in first 24 hours

Cole Slaw

Banned
I'm ealy into it, but I wish Sony hadn't killed their Santa Monica game for Destiny.

Sony made the right choice. "This is chess, not checkers!" Capitulating to Bungie is safer than letting Microsoft have EA and Activision. And by doing so, Sony has ensured the PS brand will live to see another generation, perhaps even after Microsoft's acquisition of Mojang.

Squalor

HALO 5 will eclipse this, and all being well will live up to the hype...well a lot closer at the very least than this game did, judging by impressions from another thread.
michael-jordan-laugh.gif

Xbot alert.

HALO 5 will eclipse this, and all being well will live up to the hype...well a lot closer at the very least than this game did, judging by impressions from another thread.

Halo 4 made 220m in the first 24 hours, only 20m more than Reach. I expect Halo 5 to make less money, reasons being that Xbone will have a smaller install base then when those games came out and Halo 4 MP not being well received by fans.

People disliked GTA IV. Then GTA V went on to be the biggest game ever.

People did dislike it but it still continued to sell well for years after its release and there's a lot of Rockstar fanboys who refuse to admit there were any issues with IV.

the $500 millions investment for the entire franchise is back within 24 hours. Incredible.

Great game.

Not quite.

Holy shit. Huge respect for Bobby Kotick. What a businessman.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Sometimes i believed that this is what MS and EA wanted to make with Titanfall :(

It's what any major developer wants to make with any game. I don't see why people keep bringing up TitanFall here as though MS ought to feel bad about the fact that a game with a much larger potential user base sold much better.

Sometimes i believed that this is what MS and EA wanted to make with Titanfall :(

Probably, they could have added a single player campaign or at least a coop campaign (to keep it online only) against bots and it would have gotten me to buy it too.

Regarding Destiny, seems weird we all bought it without waiting for reviews huh? seems demos/betas/alphas are very successful in getting you on board on the hype train.

Well deserved sales and it was released at a perfect time since it's kicking off the Fall season of games. Bungie owns September.

Kouriozan

I just hope it'll make other publisher to have more faith in new IPs.

Not going to happpen, we'll get clones instead T_T

No surprise here, it's a great game. People still got too hyped which destroyed their ability to like it though; that or they don't understand what this game is supposed to be.

With that said it's not without it's faults; the lack of chat in such a team-play oriented game is ridiculous. Hoping Bungie works out some kinks to really make this game shine.

The backlash will subside and this game will flourish.

jcm

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

I don't like Kotick. I haven't bought an Activision game in years, and have no plans to change that, but calling Kotick a broken clock is laughable. He's far and away the most successful executive in video games.

Karl Hawk

Banned
No surprise here, it's a great game. People still got too hyped which destroyed their ability to like it though; that or they don't understand what this game is supposed to be.

With that said it's not without it's faults; the lack of chat in such a team-play oriented game is ridiculous. Hoping Bungie works out some kinks to really make this game shine.

The backlash will subside and this game will flourish.

Agreed. I still think some people's prediction for a huge backlash is gonna bite them in the ass.

Dire

the $500 millions investment for the entire franchise is back within 24 hours. Incredible.

Great game.

Haha. No.

That's $500million gross and based on sell-in.

They're still a very long ways away from seeing a positive ROI. To put the number into context you can use CoD Ghosts as an example. It saw $1billion sell-in in 24hours. The fact they're using gross sell-in as opposed to another metric is interesting.

AmyS

When Destiny's hype settles down in a few weeks, watch Rockstar pounce with GTA V for new current gen and PC.

We know PS4 sales reached 10M already, where is Xbox One at (sold not shipped) around 6M ?

By the time GTAV remaster ships (Nov-Dec ?) there could be close to 20M PS4+Xbox One consoles sold globally, as well as countless PCs that meet the minimum / recommended requirements.

More like next 2 years.

its activision, they will drag it through the mud with yearly releases. next one will be made by treyarch and will launch next september. Bungie will then spend the next 5 years developing a new game for the next highest bidder

pure speculation of course

Karl Hawk

Banned
its activision, they will drag it through the mud with yearly releases. next one will be made by treyarch and will launch next september. Bungie will then spend the next 5 years developing a new game for the next highest bidder

pure speculation of course

Contract stated 4 games every 2 years and all of them will be made by Bungie.

I don't see them to make any major changes to their agreement in any way.

Edit: Double post, my bad.

Damerman

I don't like Kotick. I haven't bought an Activision game in years, and have no plans to change that, but calling Kotick a broken clock is laughable. He's far and away the most successful executive in video games.
hmmmm, it depends what you mean by success. if you mean badass mofo who turned a company around after having a resume that would make Leonardo De Vinci jealous, i think Strous Zelnic is more successful.

Nzyme32

Marketing wins again.

Still nice to hear a success story. Hears hoping the game actually lives up to the hype, apart from GAF, I'm not reading too much that enthuses me about the game. Hope it isn't too grindy

MilesTeg

Banned
This was expected honestly. I believe CoD has done 500 million in 24 hours multiple times. Doesn't have a shot a touching GTAV's records though.

DNAbro

Why do people think Halo 5 won't be a bigger launch?

Also Activision were are the day one destiny sales?

4 platforms vs 1 platform. Simple as that.

Yeah, because a "beta" is supposed to be representative of the full experience right?

If you played the beta, you knew exactly what kind of game it would be. The main thing we didn't know was exactly how much content there was and the variety of the missions. The first part is subjective and we could not know from the beta and the second part is a legit criticism of the game that I'm disappointed that Bungie didn't do much with.

*cough* Titanfall *cough*.

It didn't have nearly the same marketing budget

plus it was mostly promoted for XBox One. 360 version wasn't really advertised, and PC gamers were mostly snobby towards it.

So super hyped and promoted game on all consoles, vs one big release only marketed to one console.

So we're not entirely sure how much of this includes related sales taxes, shipping, bundles, etc?

But 6-7M day one seems like a reasonable-ish estimate. So, so much money on marketing that I'm wondering if it'll take a little more time yet to fully break even for the game (NOT the $500M figure, but just this title + marketing + distribution). Pretty sure they'll make it, though.

Wasn't there some insider statement this last spring about a new IP looking at 8-10M needed to eventually break even? And people laughed that there was absolutely no way that that was going to happen? Yeah. I think the expectation is that this will have legs, too, as word of mouth spreads. Thoughts that Halo can match this are, hah, oh man.

Longsword

A very impressive number, but remember:

This was sold to retail, not to customer.

Remember that Activision does not get 60$ for 60$ game. There has been many estimates on the breakdown of 60$ game, but most reliable number has been around 27$ per copy to the publisher -so less than half of the retail price, once the game is sold to a consumer.

Once we learn what the actual sell-through of Destiny is, we will know how close to the fabled 500M$ Activision is.

Dire

Actually doing some number digging. It's amusing how misleading these figures they like to trumpet out are.

Fact 1: Activision also announced $1billion sell-in for CoD: Ghosts in 24 hours.
http://investor.activision.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=804829

Fact 2: That $1billion sell-in for CoD: Ghosts is actually even less than the sell-in for Cod: Black Ops 2
http://www.forbes.com/sites/danieln...gs-warcraft-call-of-duty-hearthstone-destiny/ (ctrl+f for: "the $1 billion sell-in to retail for Call of Duty: Ghosts is actually less than the sell-in for Call of Duty: Black Ops 2")

Fact 3: GTA 5 had sell-through of $800million in 24 hours:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier/2013/09/18/gta-5-sells-800-million-in-one-day/

Fact 4: GTA 5 sold vastly more than both CoD titles.

For people that are being misled or don't understand how this can be, note the careful phrasing of their boast: “Destiny is officially the biggest new franchise launch.."

th4tguy

No guys, I don't think Microsoft are crying at all, because majority of these Destiny copies were sold in a bundle with a PS4 and Xbone. So the people earning the most out of this victory is Microsoft and Sony (mostly Sony).

How many of these copies were paid for by MS via their free game deal?

Muffdraul

Coulda been a little higher if they made enough Ghost Editions to cover demand. FUCK YOU ACTIVISION.

#notbitteroranything

Because you have an exclusive game coming out on a smaller userbase than what Halo 3 and 4 had?

This would only make sense if you randomly decided Halo won't move consoles anymore. Halo 3 and reach both moved significant consoles. Halo 4 did a little bit as well but not as much since the install base was already big. This however is the start of a new generation and you don't think Halo 5 won't have as big of a marketing campaign, but managed and sell more?

Top Bottom