• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny makes $500 million in first 24 hours

Activision will have an amazing Season revenue wise.

-Destiny
-Warlords of Draenor
-Call of Duty

did i miss something?

D3: UEE

Amazing how well this game is doing. I can see it only getting stronger as more content is added. I wonder why everyone is expecting a GOTY edition though. I haven't seen one for any of the CODs, but maybe I'm just missing something. I see the base game dropping in price, but the expansion packs are going to remain stagnant for a while.

DNAbro

I don't know how you infer that from my post. I'm miffed that they muted reviews on the game with a bullshit excuse and led people to think that there's more to the game than there actually is (like the whole "you can go there" stuff). Another win for AAA gaming and publisher-led PR media.

If only people got to play the game before buying. Oh...

th4tguy

I'm glad Bungie has sold a lot of copies. Even if the sure to be mixed reviews came out before launch they would of sold a lot of copies.

I'm not sure why people are acting like Microsoft let Bungie go, they wanted out of their contract and MS let them leave. It's not like they "fired" them. I'm sure MS would of backed Bungie if they had the chance too. Even so it would of sold more on PS4 because there's just more Ps4s

Makes me wonder how the ex Bungie, now 343 guys are feeling. Are they kicking themselves knowing they are missing out on those Destiny bonuses?

Its sold over 2 million on Xbox one alone. Its attach rate is 30% or more. I'd say its pretty successful and was damn fun.

The problem. Was they assumed there would be a bigger install base or growth. The game itself was a success

So 2 million on Xbox One, and ~500,000 on PC and 360 each? I'm not questioning the quality of the game or EA/MS judgement or anything, I'm just asking for sales figures and stats that help solidify this data, and the best I've got is that it recently broke 3 million across all platforms. I'm not sure why you're insinuating I said it wasn't successful or fun.

Pepboy

So they sold 10 million copies in one day?

There were several preorder bundles ("Ghost Edition") worth substantially more than $60, though unclear what % this comprised. I am also curious whether they are including the full price of white PS4 bundle as "revenue" for Destiny -- I wouldn't put it past Activision's "180 awards" marketing department.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Not my kinda game but happy to hear, a close college friend of mine is on the dev team. I'll certainly be picking up a copy in support of him once I get my PS4.

KooopaKid

Banned
Mmmm I'll wait for the real numbers.

receipts.gif

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
That's amazing, and good on them for branching out and bringing something fresh to the table.

Go Bungie.

Go Destiny.

Go Guardians!

KoopaTheCasual

Welp..more only online for games that don't even need it...and i like game.
Yea... this is the only dark cloud today. The only online single-player was only tolerated because Bungie made such a fun and enjoyable game, that people overlooked that BS. Publishers will probably see the results from Destiny and be like "seee?! people love always online! we can totally get away with it too!" =/

Aroll

My only problem with this:

Everyone else in the industry will see the success and assume you have to SPEND 500 million dollars to create a blockbuster new IP. They won't look at what made teh game successful, but what the budget was, and start throwing money at their problems.

I mean, I am not saying it can't work (Destiny did, obviously), but in general... this is going to spell doom for a lot of companies that attempt to "steal" Destiny's audience. Because those games are inevitable.

Do you have a link to the breakdown of the sales, by chance? Not doubting you, but everything I was able to find in an unrelated search earlier was from May-June, and in another thread here people had mentioned that Titanfall just recently, within ~1 month, broke three million sales across all platforms. Just thinking logically, over half of that would have to be on XB1, right?

Yet it still significantly under-performed by EA's standards.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=838517&highlight=titanfall

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=835700&highlight=titanfall

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Why is that?
Microsoft because they let Bungie go (after Bungie really didn't want to be Halo-machine for the rest of their lives)

TitanFall just because it's gotta be bitter for Respawn to bust their ass and release a decent game, only to be backdoored by EA and shoved onto a struggling console while seeing your former overlords release their new hotness to massive numbers. Pretty sure no one would be saying "poor titanfall" had EA not fucked over Respawn like that.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
No guys, I don't think Microsoft are crying at all, because majority of these Destiny copies were sold in a bundle with a PS4 and Xbone. So the people earning the most out of this victory is Microsoft and Sony (mostly Sony).

no. just no.

Yea... this is the only dark cloud today. The only online single-player was only tolerated because Bungie made such a fun and enjoyable game, that people overlooked that BS. Publishers will probably see the results from Destiny and be like "seee?! people love always online! we can totally get away with it too!" =/

Yeah that is the only real downer of this. I will tolerate it I guess if they go with the Destiny model over something like Titanfall, but I would rather they make most games offline capable. I am enjoying the heck out of Destiny regardless.

mrlion

Well...expect the following to happen:

1) Bungie will make 1-2 sequels for Destiny.

2) Activision screws over Bungie somehow and the original team leaves Bungie.

3) Activision keeps Destiny IP and rebuilds Bungie and build another team for yearly releases

4) Destiny gets another 3-4 sequels, each released every year

5) The cycle continues...

Ramrock

Banned
No guys, I don't think Microsoft are crying at all, because majority of these Destiny copies were sold in a bundle with a PS4 and Xbone. So the people earning the most out of this victory is Microsoft and Sony (mostly Sony).
This is utter nonsense.

Karl Hawk

Banned
Well...expect the following to happen:

1) Bungie will make 1-2 sequels for Destiny.

2) Activision screws over Bungie somehow and the original team leaves Bungie.

3) Activision keeps Destiny IP and rebuilds Bungie and build another team for yearly releases

4) Destiny gets another 3-4 sequels, each released every year

5) The cycle continues...

Did you read about that leaked contract? Bungie owns the Destiny IP, while Activision only handles the publishing rights (Correct me if I'm wrong on that)

But meh, things can change, so who knows what will happen next

Top Bottom