• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny - Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't played Destiny apart from the beta, but if you beat the campaign and play the competitive stuff, how have you not experienced all the content? Is there something more to the game then that?

So people were gaga over the game during the beta but now that it's out the game is mediocre to meh? What happened between then and now that's so disappointing?

Squalor

So far Titanfall is the far better game of the two. I've put more than 24 hours into that. I'm barely motivated to put another hour into Destiny after my first 3.
I've played nearly 80 hours of Titanfall. Most of that was in the first two or three months, though.

Destiny is the better game. It's not great, but it's better.

Trago

I don't care about the scores, I wanna see what different journalists thought of certain parts of the game I'm interested in, like the music or something.

Yeah, this is gonna be one of the first huge AAA franchises that will get disappointing reviews.

I think if it was reviewed in the traditional way, the scores would be higher. Without the same pressure/time contraints, these reviews are likely to be more measured (and let's face it, accurate!).

Alchemy

7-8 range is about right. Its like a fun Halo game with loot, but the loot and content structured around the flimsy social elements make it less fun then Halo (pre-4) minute to minute.

Madness

How do you review something without having access to all the content?

So do you blame the reviewer then, or do you blame Bungie? But they'll probably the same way they've been reviewing other multi-player games in the past? It's why I don't really trust non-single player reviews in a sense. How can these reviewers ever play games like Halo, for a couple days pre-launch when the only people in matchmaking are other reviewers or devs and say things like, it's perfectly balanced, it's this or that. A lot of multi-player games need to be at least played a month or longer with the general populace before you notice the good and bad things.

As for Destiny, even my friends list, which is comprised of Halo and Bungie fans, while they are enjoying it, don't like the PvP or think it is as good as it was made out to be. Obviously, I believe there is no way Destiny will get low scores from any of the big sites.

GRaider81

Im really enjoying it and can see me playing it for a good few months.

I can totally understand it might not hold everyone's attention span though.

It can be repetitive but the addiction comes with the loot for me.

Expect it will average 75-80 on metacritic

Tookay

I'm actually surprised the first few reviews haven't been 9/10. I didn't find the game to live up to the hype but still it seems rare that AAA games with mass marketing get anything below 9/10.
I've noticed that new AAA franchises still get scrutinized a little more than established ones. The first Assassin's Creed and even Watch Dogs were subject to this. It's once they gathered fan bases that criticism became off-limits.

Rembrandt

Banned

I doubt raids are gonna improve a person's general complaints about the game.

I've noticed that new AAA franchises still get scrutinized a little more than established ones. The first Assassin's Creed and even Watch Dogs were subject to this. It's once they behind sacred cows to fan bases that criticism becomes off-limits.

The first AC scored in the 80s and there were numerous valid complaints that got fixed in the sequels. Watch Dogs is just an average game all around and got higher scores than it really deserved, tbh. Easily should be low 70%.

Wouldn't even bother reading any review that hits sooner then two weeks out. End-game is the meat of Destiny, a rushed review of the leveling process is basically worthless.

The raid isn't gong to change the fundamental issues of the game, though I do agree that it should be taken into account.

As for the DLC and expansions....again they won't change the fundamental stuff. It will be the same game.

that review is dead on about the shitty social elements. also there is a serious lack of variety from what i have played so far. another thing that's off is having big ass areas full of jack shit.

Squalor

Titanfall was fantastic, and extremely fun, but content starved. It deserved the scores it received. Destiny from all accounts is just an average game that doesn't do anything new or anything particularly well.
Titanfall was content deficient for a good month or two.

The game didn't deserve all the 10s, 9s, and 8s it received. At launch, it was a 7.5-8 game.

I like the game, and feel like I got my money's worth.

Having said that, watching the review kerfuffle over this game is gonna be very entertaining.

Usually with review meltdowns (Uncharted 3) there are a ton of fanboys freaking out over scores on a game they haven't yet played, but this time most of the people freaking out will have already played the game, and therefore spent cash on it.

Watching people have meltdowns to justify their purchase is gonna be GOLD.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Titanfall was fantastic, and extremely fun, but content starved. It deserved the scores it received. Destiny from all accounts is just an average game that doesn't do anything new or anything particularly well.

It's core combat is fantastic though, to say it doesn't do anything particularly well is very silly and not true. As a fan of FPS it's actually nice to play against smart AI again in a single player FPS.

I'm curious to see if any of the reviews will mention the sound issues, ie, the way there are no audio sliders. Makes things hard to hear, especially when doing voice chat.

kasane

This is my impressions from two nights

Watch unskippable cutscene

Walk to location
Shoot anything that moves deploy ghost
Stop the fallen
Kill the fallen
Etc

Also its a shared world shooter but the other dudes in my gama re just shooting stuff too without being able to talk to them or being able yo invite them

Superflat

Not surprising considering a lot of people are only just figuring out what Destiny is and what it has to offer and finding out it's not what they thought it'd be.

This game was hyped to all hell, with expectations that could never be fulfilled: huge maps, numerous levels per location, multiple locations per planet, open world, completely unique missions, etc etc. It was built up to be some kind of ultimate fantasy space combat game with tons of exploration when it's really a smaller, more focused project with expansions in mind.

Mikey Jr.

I predict 7-8, and I feel that is a fair score.

A great new IP, but coming from a developer with such a pedigree as Bungie, there is just some stuff which I feel are really stupid, amateur mistakes that bring it down.

1. No matchmaking in story mode
-Seriously, why not? Going solo penalizes you (darkness zone), and for such a game like this that values teammates, forcing you to try and find friends to play your level 6 story mode is not fun. Nobody on your friends list wants to waste their time with that.
Dumb, dumb oversight. Needs more common sense.

2. No communication in the tower
-Really, Bungie? Really??? I might as well be walking into a ghost town of dancing ghosts. Seriously, whats the point? No text chat? Would be a great place to pick up fireteam members or just shoot the shit. No mics either? Seriously, WHAT THE FUCK. I posted this TWICE on their forums. Once in the Alpha and once in the Beta. Whatever.

3. No mic support in the crucible.
-Yeah, can't talk to players on your team! Great idea!! Awesome!! Jesus......

4. Explore mode.
-Another god damn ghost town. You'll get a spattering of people here and there, but people seem more interested in doing their own shit. Also, there is nothing to do here. I honestly feel no reason to explore. Whats the point?

5. Grinding
-To do that strike, I had to play the array mission 4 times just to get to level 8. And even then, that strike is more tedious than anything. That spider boss is literally the worst. Just boring as all hell.

Anyways, great gunplay, haven't finished the story, but it seems like crap from what I've read. Dunno, expected more from Bungie to be honest. The kind of game that you play for 1 hour and you can rattle off a million things wrong with it.

I like the game, and feel like I got my money's worth.

Having said that, watching the review kerfuffle over this game is gonna be very entertaining.

Usually with review meltdowns (Uncharted 3) there are a ton of fanboys freaking out over scores on a game they haven't yet played, but this time most of the people freaking out will have already played the game, and therefore spent cash on it.

Watching people have meltdowns to justify their purchase is gonna be GOLD.
I'm hoping, on account of it being a new IP that people aren't as invested in, and with people already having played it as you said, that will actually lead to less hyperbolic reactions and meltdowns than UC3.

There's nothing worse than people who haven't even played the game freaking out over reviews.

This is my impressions from two nights

Watch unskippable cutscene

Walk to location
Shoot anything that moves deploy ghost
Stop the fallen
Kill the fallen
Etc

Also its a shared world shooter but the other dudes in my gama re just shooting stuff too without being able to talk to them or being able yo invite them

Press R3 while near them.

M4shy

Neo Member
I don't have the game but this game honestly looked very promising. Going to be interested to see what the overall reviews are.

sp3000

I've played nearly 80 hours of Titanfall. Most of that was in the first two or three months, though.

Destiny is the better game. It's not great, but it's better.

How are two ever remotely comparable? Titanfall shares more in common with COD or Tribes. It's designed around competitive PvP gameplay.

Besides, Titanfall's core shooting and movement gameplay has far more depth than Destiny. Strip Destiny of it's RPG elements and you are left with a bog standard shooter.

I'm hoping, on account of it being a new IP that people aren't as invested in, and with people already having played it as you said, will actually lead to less hyperbolic reactions and meltdowns than UC3.

There's nothing worse than people who haven't even played the game get freaking out over reviews.

Yeah I guess with the game being on both major platforms it'll cut down on the 'system war' crap too.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I predict 7-8, and I feel that is a fair score.

A great new IP, but coming from a developer with such a pedigree as Bungie, there is just some stuff which I feel are really stupid, amateur mistakes that bring it down.

1. No matchmaking in story mode
-Seriously, why not? Going solo penalizes you (darkness zone), and for such a game like this that values teammates, forcing you to try and find friends to play your level 6 story mode is not fun. Nobody on your friends list wants to waste their time with that.
Dumb, dumb oversight. Needs more common sense.

2. No communication in the tower
-Really, Bungie? Really??? I might as well be walking into a ghost town of dancing ghosts. Seriously, whats the point? No text chat? Would be a great place to pick up fireteam members or just shoot the shit. No mics either? Seriously, WHAT THE FUCK. I posted this TWICE on their forums. Once in the Alpha and once in the Beta. Whatever.

3. No mic support in the crucible.
-Yeah, can't talk to players on your team! Great idea!! Awesome!! Jesus......

4. Explore mode.
-Another god damn ghost town. You'll get a spattering of people here and there, but people seem more interested in doing their own shit. Also, there is nothing to do here. I honestly feel no reason to explore. Whats the point?

5. Grinding
-To do that strike, I had to play the array mission 4 times just to get to level 8. And even then, that strike is more tedious than anything. That spider boss is literally the worst. Just boring as all hell.

Anyways, great gunplay, haven't finished the story, but it seems like crap from what I've read. Dunno, expected more from Bungie to be honest. The kind of game that you play for 1 hour and you can rattle off a million things wrong with it.

I knew about some of these things...but this list is pretty terrible. its like an anti-social online game. da fuq

You review what's in the box.

i8lNB9I03g2jE.png

https://twitter.com/bradshoemaker/status/509809205365071873
https://twitter.com/bradshoemaker/status/509809888856268800

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom