• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny - Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

smoothj

Sucks man.. I got my friends to pick this game up from me hyping it and the disappointment on my part is hard to hide.

I hope a lot of this is correctable.

Sentenza

It's core combat is fantastic though.

The core combat was "fantastic" even in Titanfall, though. More than anything I've seen so far about Destiny.
What made me decide to not purchase that game after the beta were just a couple of baffling design decisions that made me dislike those online matches after few repetitions.

NZ gamer is the same site that gave Battlefield 4 a 9, Knack an 8, watch dogs 8.4, Metal gear solid ground zeroes a 8.1, Titanfall a 8.9 and Infamous Second son a 9.5. I don't think I trust their collective opinion.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
The whole game feels disjointed and slightly hollow and soulless. I was hoping that would change after playing the alpha build. Then when the beta hit, I had that a slightly sinking feeling that Destiny was going to be disappointing.

Heroman

Banned
NZ gamer is the same site that gave Battlefield 4 a 9, Knack an 8, watch dogs 8.4, Metal gear solid ground zeroes a 8.1, Titanfall a 8.9 and Infamous Second son a 9.5. I don't think I trust their collective opinion.

I mean outside of knack and bf4, All those game are great.

Euron

I love exploration in games. Story doesn't really matter THAT much if the world is fun to explore. Hopefully critics will at least somewhat agree.

Though bullet sponge bosses are a bit aggravating and turn the game into a chore at times. Nevertheless, while not GOTY 2014, I am very happy about my Destiny purchase and really want to see how it reviews.

Vol5

I'll wait for more reviews - but the writing was on the wall it seems. It had a clear identity problem from the start (as in Bungie didn't know how to present it), they were coy on how big the game was and didn't send any review copies out until release. I like the idea of a loot based sci-fi FPS but after watching some vids it's pretty clear it's repetitive in nature.

Still, I'm open minded. Hoping Eurogamer has it's review soon. They previewed it a month or so ago and made a connection between it and Diablo which still sounds OK in my mind.

hamchan

This really might be the Assassin's Creed 1 of this generation. Extremely hyped game coming out to mediocre reviews but still manages to create a mega franchise. A game with a great base to build off of but is plagued with repetitive mission design.

You released a product to consumers and that's what they are spending their hard-earned money on. You have to review what's in the box, IMO.

Banned
Oh boy this thread is gonna be an ass storm.

ibblOmXnlHkCTu.gif

Rembrandt

Banned
I predict 7-8, and I feel that is a fair score.

A great new IP, but coming from a developer with such a pedigree as Bungie, there is just some stuff which I feel are really stupid, amateur mistakes that bring it down.

1. No matchmaking in story mode
-Seriously, why not? Going solo penalizes you (darkness zone), and for such a game like this that values teammates, forcing you to try and find friends to play your level 6 story mode is not fun. Nobody on your friends list wants to waste their time with that.
Dumb, dumb oversight. Needs more common sense.

2. No communication in the tower
-Really, Bungie? Really??? I might as well be walking into a ghost town of dancing ghosts. Seriously, whats the point? No text chat? Would be a great place to pick up fireteam members or just shoot the shit. No mics either? Seriously, WHAT THE FUCK. I posted this TWICE on their forums. Once in the Alpha and once in the Beta. Whatever.

3. No mic support in the crucible.
-Yeah, can't talk to players on your team! Great idea!! Awesome!! Jesus......

4. Explore mode.
-Another god damn ghost town. You'll get a spattering of people here and there, but people seem more interested in doing their own shit. Also, there is nothing to do here. I honestly feel no reason to explore. Whats the point?

5. Grinding
-To do that strike, I had to play the array mission 4 times just to get to level 8. And even then, that strike is more tedious than anything. That spider boss is literally the worst. Just boring as all hell.

Anyways, great gunplay, haven't finished the story, but it seems like crap from what I've read. Dunno, expected more from Bungie to be honest. The kind of game that you play for 1 hour and you can rattle off a million things wrong with it.

Yup. 1-3 bugged me like hell in the beta and I really cannot understand the choices behind them. For a game so focused on social interactions and multiplayer, they're trying really hard to hinder it.

Gestault

I don't get how they could have already played it enough to review. These must have been rushed out.

Part of the criticisms of the reviews I've seen (and some overviews from the most recent Giant Bombcast) is that the game doesn't have much content compared to how it was promoted, at least as it stands now. We've seen plenty of people already above the level cap in the OT thread on Gaf, and considering Russia and the Moon from the beta are already half of the game's hubs, I'd say it's possible that reviewers have seen a fair amount to assess it in a review.

There have been some "running commentary" style review formats that have actually been pretty interesting, and their takeaways are similar to what we're seeing here.

Not surprising considering a lot of people are only just figuring out what Destiny is and what it has to offer and finding out it's not what they thought it'd be.

This game was hyped to all hell, with expectations that could never be fulfilled: huge maps, numerous levels per location, multiple locations per planet, open world, completely unique missions, etc etc. It was built up to be some kind of ultimate fantasy space combat game with tons of exploration when it's really a smaller, more focused project with expansions in mind.

While it may hold true for some folks, this opinion that keeps getting stated in the OP that you're bringing here is a crock of shit, especially when you're stretching them to the most extreme versions. Being unachievable is especially a ridiculous claim for most of that.

We shouldn't have to wait for the raid, then the DLC, then the big expansion, then more DLC, and so on and so forth with goal posts. The game is what it is and people have the right to criticize the game FOR WHAT IT IS without being told they fell for hype or that someone can't handle anything more than an echo chamber.

Edit: While liking both games, Titanfall comparisons are pretty crappy outside of the marketing comparisons, where even there they were handled quite differently.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
The core combat was "fantastic" even in Titanfall, though. ;ore than anything I've seen so far about Destiny.
What made me decide to not purchase that game after the beta were just a couple of baffling design decisions that made me dislike those online matches after few repetitions.

I'm talking about single player/PvE. I like the PvP but that's not the core mode for me. I'm talking about the interaction between player and enemy AI, Bungies enemy AI has always been fun as hell to fight against and it makes you earn your kills, even on Normal and especially on Hard. The tension, the desperate fight to survive, the fact that you've just fought against an enemy in an intense skirmish and had a shitload of fun before moving onto the next one. No big spectacles, just fun skirmishes against AI mobs who aren't completely fuckin braindead.

I'm just surprised to see not many folk talk about how good it is because it does stand out from near enough any recent FPS for this reason alone. They can be right devious fuckers. Destiny isn't a 'game changer', it's been overhyped and it has its problems, especially in how atrocious its story is (and I apply the same to every other Halo game with the exception of 1 maybe) but its combat is sublime.

I feel like Rab Florence explains it best in why Destinys/Bungies FPS combat is so much fun to play.

http://www.amusementarcade.org/2014/09/10/destiny-diary-day-one/

MormaPope

Banned
From my perspective as a Halo fan, Bungie is really good at creating small, puzzle like areas that encourage very specific styles of play. This even applies to the multiplayer in all Halo games. Certain maps are made for certain play styles. When it comes to socialization in Halo games its simple but extremely effective. Clans, theater mode, screenshots, making clips, making maps, making entirely new game modes, the social elements of Halo multiplayer always felt modern and fresh.

Based on reading a ton of things about Destiny, Bungie tried to incorporate social elements into game design, while trying to design a game that revolves around social elements. The result is a fun game that has a lot of appeal when it comes to co-op, but the actual meat behind the co-op is shallow. Things become less puzzle like, and more open, but at the cost of removing tight design variety.

To be fair, there are a lot of similarities. They're both scifi shooters and new IPs, from big publishers, with huge marketing pushes, released within 6 months of one another.

Take out that first part and you could compare destiny to almost anything. They're barely comparable people just bring it up because somehow TF = MS and Destiny = Sony.

lantus

Mmmm yeah that seems like the trend I was expecting for this game. Playing the alpha and beta was really the best thing for me, because it basically reaffirmed my thoughts on the game, which were pretty indifferent. Game just didn't sell me on anything really. I'm kind of sad to feel that way too since I have enjoyed the majority of Bungies games.

nib95

Banned
Part of the criticisms of the reviews I've seen (and some overviews from the most recent Giant Bombcast) is that the game doesn't have much content compared to how it was promoted, at least as it stands now. We've seen plenty of people already above the level cap in the OT thread on Gaf, and considering Russia and the Moon from the beta are already half of the game's hubs, I'd say it's possible that reviewers have seen a fair amount to assess it in a review.

There have been some "running commentary" style review formats that have actually been pretty interesting, and their takeaways are similar to what we're seeing here.

But a tonne of people have been saying the game really opens up after Level 20 too, with more to do, collect and so on. So bare that in mind. The level cap doesn't really correlate with the amount of content on offer.

Xav

Killzone Shadow Fall, Knack, Forza 5, Killer Instinct (6 characters at launch), Ryse, Battlefield 4, Titanfall, Watch Dogs ... Destiny. Anyone else feel that most of the new gen "big titles" have all been kind of "meh" once they've actually arrived?

I don't mean to sound like a fanboy (avatar quote incoming) or even derail the thread but Wii U titles seem to be the only ones either meeting or exceeding my expectations... well except Sonic Lost World, that game sucked.

Going into the fall, I'm having mixed thoughts on Sunset Overdrive and DriveClub but feel almost certain that Smash Bros and Bayonetta 2 will deliver.

I can see myself picking up Destiny eventually since I enjoyed the Alpha on PS4 but I don't feel any desire to check it out anytime soon.

KooopaKid

Banned

So you're saying they are overly generous and they gave Destiny a 7?

Game is a 70-75.

The overhype and under delivering with Destiny makes Watch Dogs and Titanfall look like genre redefining masterpieces.

no matchmaking is idiotic. if you want a social type game then make the features easily accessible to everyone. I shouldn't have to post on a gaming message board to get people together for a game.

matchmaking should be a given for an online only game.

It's certainly not a 8/10. I haven't finished the story (I've just started Mars with a level 20 character) but so far I'd rate it a 6/10, which in my rating system corresponds to "nice".

This really might be the Assassin's Creed 1 of this generation. Extremely hyped game coming out to mediocre reviews but still manages to create a mega franchise. A game with a great base to build off of but is plagued with repetitive mission design.

Assassin's Creed averaged an 81 metacritic. Hardly mediocre reviews (it deserved less).

I actually WANT this game to be amazing. It sounds like the kind of FPS experience I would love.

Please don't be terrible, Destiny. And please get ported to PC....

MormaPope

Banned
But a tonne of people have been saying the game really opens up after Level 20 too, with more to do, collect and so on. So bare that in mind. The level cap doesn't really correlate with the amount of content on offer.

"More to do" in Destiny sounds like stuff you've already been doing but with different enemies and wave spawning.

sp3000

Who would've thought Titanfall would end up being better than Destiny?

I've stated this before, but Titanfall's core gameplay is better than the vast majority of shooters on the market. Coming from a competitive Unreal Tournament background, it's the only shooter that captures focus on movement over aiming in a long time.

Unfortunately, this also renders the gameplay very hostile to casuals, despite all the handicaps Respawn put it to try to ease new players. New players will get completely smashed and unable to get a single kill. It's also a very content light game, made by a relatively small development team. Respawn made it in 2 years with a development team of 50 or so. Bungie had 300 people, 4 years, and unlimited money.

Frankly, if Destiny ripped off Titanfall and Halo rather than COD/Borderlands, the game would be better off for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom