• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny - Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sucks man.. I got my friends to pick this game up from me hyping it and the disappointment on my part is hard to hide.

I hope a lot of this is correctable.

Don't worry they will fix it with paid DLC and sequels.

no matchmaking is idiotic. if you want a social type game then make the features easily accessible to everyone. I shouldn't have to post on a gaming message board to get people together for a game.

matchmaking should be a given for an online only game.

100% truth right here. Having turn to avenues outside the game to get people to play with is lame as fuck.

farisr

Story doesn't seem great or even good so far. Haven't played pvp in the final game, but to me pvp in the beta felt like Halo Reach 2.0 (which is bad for me). Only thing redeeming this game for me is the base gameplay, exploration, and the fact that I'm playing through with a friend on co-op using party chat for the first time.

So my impressions so far, decent game, if I were to predict a metacritic rating it would be high 70s or low 80s.

dankir

How do you review something without having access to all the content?

How much will the core gameplay evole when DLC hits? If that's that the case then any game with already announced DLC shouldn't be reviewed day 1?

Come on son!

Squalor

Came in expecting Titanfall deflections. Did not leave disappointed.
Good for you. I couldn't care less what reviewers say about the game, though.

It's about an eight, certainly nothing more. There's a ton of ambition, but ambition isn't some panacea that can make up for weak plotting and character.

Overall, it's a fun shooter, though.

I feel it should be treated differently to Titanfall. Unlike that game, they hyped up their "epic" story and even promised a decent campaign. If, as is becoming increasingly apparent, the campaign is just a bunch of horde mode arenas with some weak cutscenes in between, the game deserved to be docked points for it. I don't care if the PvP or the core gameplay loop is excellent, the game does not deserve a high score if they promised a solid campaign and singularly failed to deliver it. Hopefully that would force them to invest more time and money into the story and the campaign the next time round.

I've stated this before, but Titanfall's core gameplay is better than the vast majority of shooters on the market. Coming from a competitive Unreal Tournament background, it's the only shooter that captures focus on movement over aiming in a long time.

Unfortunately, this also renders the gameplay very hostile to casuals, despite all the handicaps Respawn put it to try to ease new players. New players will get completely smashed and unable to get a single kill. It's also a very content light game, made by a relatively small development team.

Frankly, if Destiny ripped off Titanfall and Halo rather than COD/Borderlands, the game would be better off for it.

Titanfall needs a single player or at least a non-competitive mode. I think that was a dealbreaker for more people than MS or Respawn anticipated, myself included.

Arkam

So people were gaga over the game during the beta but now that it's out the game is mediocre to meh? What happened between then and now that's so disappointing?

Was a bunch of content starved kids who thought the beta was "exclusive".

RoKKeR

Sounds like there is a fair amount of disappointment throughout the community. Obviously there are people who are loving it and I'm sure I'll enjoy my time with it but it seems to be nowhere near the game we thought it would be.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
I'm seriously amazed that someone who supposedly writes for a living can make this mistake.

Yeesh.

Looking forward to seeing how the game is received.

They don't write for a living. Payment is a free game, that is all.

Gryph

This really might be the Assassin's Creed 1 of this generation. Extremely hyped game coming out to mediocre reviews but still manages to create a mega franchise. A game with a great base to build off of but is plagued with repetitive mission design.

I hope the improvements in Destiny 2 are on the same level as the Assassin's Creed improvements... If Bungie can make that happen, they'll have one heck of a strong franchise.

If you want to know why the press still puts scores on their reviews, look at this thread. Three random reviews, four page thread already.

I feel it should be treated differently to Titanfall. Unlike that game, they hyped up their "epic" story and even promised a decent campaign. If, as is becoming increasingly apparent, the campaign is just a bunch of horde mode arenas with some weak cutscenes in between, the game deserved to be docked points for it. I don't care if the PvP or the core gameplay loop is excellent, the game does not deserve a high score if they promised a solid campaign and singularly failed to deliver it. Hopefully that would force them to invest more time and money into the story and the campaign the next time round.

I could be wrong, but didn't TF devs say shit like 'we're redefining the story mode by blending it seamlessly into the multiplayer mode!' or something like that? I feel like they did their fair share of 'story hyping', albeit in a different way.

¡HarlequinPanic!;129399533 said:
This is probably why companies are sheepish on new IPs, friendo~
ieuLhwwW2lBXj.gif

Been wanting to use that new IP gif for a while :p

sp3000

Titanfall needs a single player or at least a non-competitive mode. I think that was a dealbreaker for more people than MS or Respawn anticipated, myself included.

Why? Quake 3 didn't have one and it was a full priced $50 game back in 1999. Same with Unreal Tournament. Same with Tribes 2. Same with Battlefield 1942. Same with Battlefield 2.

None of those games were faulted at the time of release for having no single player or non competitive modes. Why is Titanfall?

This sort of mentality is why AAA budgets are out of control and studios are going out of business. People complain when singleplayer games have multiplayer thrown in, yet demand single player when it's the other way around.

Banned
Game is a 70-75.

The overhype and under delivering with Destiny makes Watch Dogs and Titanfall look like genre redefining masterpieces.

Well, you're entitled to your opinion. I haven't put enough time into Destiny to rate it, but I can rate Watch Dogs and Titanfall. Watch Dogs is hot garbage and Titanfall has no single player and it's PC community is barren.

Destiny can't be worse then them imo.

Clefargle

Seeing the average of the final review scores is gonna be pretty damn fun.

Because that's what really matters, metrics right? Ok, have fun playing with the measuring tape, I'll be paying attention to impressions from GAF users and the actual words used in a review to make up my mind. Cool, have fun.

Trying to force yourself to "beat" the game in a couple of days sounds awful. They clearly didn't design it as a linear game.

The mission design is definitely barebones and the game is far from perfect, but the level of polish in the mechanics and aesthetic really make it an enjoyable experience. PVP is super fun too

BigDug13

Seems like with a lack of matchmaking that if you don't have friends to play it with, it's not a very good game. But if you have friends...

Maybe they should have another sticker on the box next to "online required" that says "previously established friends required"

Superflat

While it may hold true for some folks, this opinion that keeps getting stated in the OP that you're bringing here is a crock of shit, especially when you're stretching them to the most extreme versions. Being unachievable is especially a ridiculous claim for most of that.

We shouldn't have to wait for the raid, then the DLC, then the big expansion, then more DLC, and so on and so forth with goal posts. The game is what it is and people have the right to criticize the game FOR WHAT IT IS without being told they fell for hype or that someone can't handle anything more than an echo chamber.

Woah there, I'm agreeing with you, lol. I'm personally not buying the game.

What I'm saying with my post is that those were the high-flying expectations that got a lot of people excited about the game, including me. Even the way it was presented at its debut with crazy concept art, different locations and species had everyone thinking it was some kind of massive space-trotting adventure.

The reality of game development hit when Giant Bomb and other sites talked candidly about their experience with the game in the past couple days, and it sounds like a competently made FPS, but with a much more limited and smaller world than anyone would have expected.

ryanthelion123

Neo Member

"One area that excels past the Halo standard, to me, is the story. It’s about aliens and space. Hell, it’s even about a savior of mankind in a sense."

He says its a better story than Halo by vaguely describing the same story of Halo.

Lol If aliens and space arent enought for you, Bungie outdid themselves with a story about the savior of mankind. He is impressed by cliche parts of the story.

Spinluck

Game is great, absolutely fantastic with friends. I have about 8 friends with it so it's a ball with them.

No as far as the game itself, it's a bit repetitive already. The mechanics are satisfying and the enemy variation is diverse so far. But without my friends I can see it getting boring after 2 weeks. I may be wrong though, but I'll continue to add feedback as I play.

If there is a second one this generation, I think they'll nail it for sure.

Sentenza

Who would've thought Titanfall would end up being better than Destiny?
I totally did. For months, since I've seen gameplay videos of both for the first time
Now, incidentally Titanfall also ended up being less enjoyable than I expected -mostly cause of few secondary issues that didn't match my taste, I still think the core gameplay is absolutely good- but I still wouldn't rate it below Destiny, which on the other hand seems to offer a lot of what I simply don't like in a shooter.

It's not that surprising to me that a lot of people praising it seem to be also the same people who loved the two Borderlands, also games I didn't like, mostly for the very same reasons.

Chris1

Titanfall was fantastic, and extremely fun, but content starved. It deserved the scores it received. Destiny from all accounts is just an average game that doesn't do anything new or anything particularly well.

Yeah gameplay wise, which is what the game was hyped up over and Respawn was pretty straight forward about what you were getting with Titanfall so I'd say it deserved the scores it got IMO.

Bungie lead people onto believing there was a ton more content, a much bigger/better story so when you find out that's not necessarily the case (I don't have the game, just going by what people post here) then it shouldn't really be surprising if reviewers dock it a point or two.

Banned
ibTimes gives it an 8/10

Graphics: 8/10 – Superb. Even if the art design is lacking, the fact a world this big can look this good is incredible.
Gameplay: 7/10 – Slick, functional and perfectly refined, but the mission structure repeats itself and always runs contradictory to the game's drama.
Writing: 5/10 – Again, it's perfectly functional, but drab and convoluted. On top of that, it doesn't fit, at all, with the game's mechanics.
Sound: 8/10 – There are a few distinct tracks among the score and Peter Dinklage does some great voice work as Ghost. Guns are suitably loud, also.
Replay value: 10/10 – Destiny is massive. You'll be playing this for years.

Overall: 8/10 – Ambitious, polished and clearly pored over by hundreds of people, Destiny is an incredible creative undertaking. It doesn't all click, but it's a huge achievement.
I know this was in the OP but I wanted to focus on these points. This scares me a little.

MormaPope

Banned
Why? Quake 3 didn't have one and it was a full priced $50 game back in 1999. Same with Unreal Tournament. Same with Tribes 2. Same with Battlefield 1942. Same with Battlefield 2.

None of those games were faulted at the time of release for having no single player or non competitive modes. Why is Titanfall?

You know what all those games had?

Modding communities and tools that added a metric shit ton of content to those games. Titanfall came out on PC, but its very far from being a multiplayer shooter from that time period when it comes to content in general.

Fdkn

If metacritic score is below 85 when all is said and done I will stop enjoying the game, crash it, burn the pieces and never ever look back.

Obviously not, I'll keep playing because the game is awesome

What a weird thing to say. That's not what reviews are for. They aren't for people to validate their own opinion of a game either.
I don't know about you, but I use reviews to govern my emotional state for the day. There is the side effect of mood swings, but that's life for you.

Reviews 4 lyfe.

Alucrid

Banned
i was reading that NZ review and there's so many things wrong, first and foremost was that 500 million dollar number that's always thrown around.

and with each level you get a new ability or perk

which would be stupid since hitting cap would mean you wouldn't get more abilities

There are no stats to deal with beyond attack power and defence

minus the three main stats on armor plus light

Striek

My score would be a 5/10 at best. Not a happy chappy owning the digital CE.

- Poor AI
- Terrible attempt of a story; hampered by exposition style
- Ultra repetitive mission design
- No characterisation; all the NPCs in the tower are completely one-dimensional and add absolutely nothing
- Completely non-social unless you are in a fireteam of friends, in which case you could be playing any game and get the same experience
- Loading times are fucking atrocious
- Limited customisation, mostly meaningless cosmetic stuff and fails hard at even that
- No reason at all to explore the barren levels; there is literally nothing to discover, its clinically sterile

It has some solid points, music, graphics are nice, spawning a sparrow anywere to zoom off to your destination is very cool, PvP is decent fun.

But damn is it a disappointment everywhere it counts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom