• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny's Playstation exclusives are only timed?

Cels

Can I just raise the question:

If a generalization of NeoGAF itself is a bannable offense, why should generalized, escalatory drivel like this be any different? NeoGAF isn't one person, why is any other discussion board any different?

it's not being totally fair but when a site's april fool's joke is to imitate another site that they hate...i think you are allowed to generalize a bit

ohlawd

xbox reddit sounds like my kinda place

bros is Ubisoft the only one actually doing exclusive platform content like in AC and WD?

i think what he says is

pot meet kettle

I'm prone to criticizing the X1 heavily, but I don't know what I'd be a fanboy of. I spend most of my time right now on my Wii U and Vita.

I don't like the automatic assumption that being overly critical of the X1 means one is automaically a PS4 fanboy.

xbox reddit sounds like my kinda place

bros is Ubisoft the only one actually doing exclusive platform content like in AC and WD?

Isn't the Ubi stuff also timed? I though that other platforms eventually got the 60 minutes or whatever of content, no?

"Exclusive" has an incredibly ambiguous meaning for both Sony and Microsoft nowadays, especially during E3 conferences. Both made several misleading statements during their conference this year, so I'm not sure what the shock is.

You obviously haven't been over there lol, the reason it's such a popular hub for xbox one fans is because GAF shits on xbox no matter the news and is genuinely hostile to anyone who's a supporter. These forums are an abusive place to be if you like the xbox one(either that or you have balls like me and don't gaf about the drama).

Well, this isn't really a surprise to me.

Poor baby! Are you okay?

jem0208

Persecution complex much.
Positive X1 threads do tend to get shitted up quite often. You can say persecution complex all you like but it is kinda true... People certainly aren't hostile to X1 owners though, that's kinda ridiculous.

The way Sony have gone about doing this exclusive Destiny stuff is pretty shady tbh. The image in the OP has "Only on PlayStation" right next to the Destiny title. Obviously it's only referring to the exclusive content but it's seriously misleading. I hate all this exclusive advertising stuff, MS is guilty of it too and it really annoys me. Don't intentionally mislead the consumer.

Jigorath

Banned
You obviously haven't been over there lol, the reason it's such a popular hub for xbox one fans is because GAF shits on xbox no matter the news and is genuinely hostile to anyone who's a supporter. These forums are an abusive place to be if you like the xbox one(either that or you have balls like me and don't gaf about the drama).

What seriously? Sony gets just as much bashing when they screw up.

Azull

This has been known for nearly a year.

Also...

uwH6KhC.gif

Gestault

it's not being totally fair but when a site's april fool's joke is to imitate another site that they hate...i think you are allowed to generalize a bit

With respect, is your rationale that the community really does amount to one point of view? Evidenced by an April Fool's joke theme?

jem0208

Anyway I'm just glad anyone who wants it can play it even if it is frustrating having to wait.
Xbox support shouldn't really ever be taken as a credible source for this sort or of stuff, they don't really know what they're talking about when it comes to it. They're good for troubleshooting problems though which is kinda their purpose.

Cels

yeah, recent example - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=814747

With respect, is your rationale that the community really does amount to one point of view? Evidenced by an April Fool's joke theme?

no, r/xboxone has 50k subscribers, so obviously not every one of those 50k people have exactly the same viewpoint. but enough of them do that such an inside joke would work and be understood by them. enough people vote up anti-neogaf sentiment that it gets to the top of various threads. when someone comments defending neogaf it's downvoted. that's enough for me to say the community as a whole is anti-neogaf.

Not surprising. Sony made all of their timed exclusives sound like exclusives at the conference. He'll, they made GTA5 (multiplatform) sound exclusive. Really scummy and misleading IMO. Why give consumers a choice when you can lie. I thought MS was the anti-consumer one!?

An excellent example is the TLG is cancelled thread (before it was proven false)

Not surprising. Sony made all of their timed exclusives sound like exclusives at the conference. He'll, they made GTA5 (multiplatform) sound exclusive. Really scummy and misleading IMO. Why give consumers a choice when you can lie. I thought MS was the anti-consumer one!?

No, they didn't. They just didn't mention other platforms which is fine since that's what has always been done. Most of the timed stuff was referred to as exclusive console debut, which means the same thing. You just had to pay attention

Here's the article that confirms it's timed.

GC: I’m just interested in whether you’re purposefully saying no to them either because you don’t want to spend the money or from some other matter of principle?

JR: No, and you know we’ve carefully selected titles where we feel it’s appropriate to partner with a third party. So Activision, yes, are doing stuff on Call Of Duty with Microsoft. However, we are partnering with Activision on Destiny. And you know Destiny is a new IP from Bungie and there’s gonna be stuff that is exclusive to the PlayStation SKU for a window of time and there’s gonna be a lot of PlayStation-branded marketing collateral and there’s gonna be PlayStation hardware bundles.

So… Destiny isn’t a launch title but it’s pretty much an exact offset to what Activision is doing with Microsoft and I would argue that as new IP coming from Bungie I would rather be in a position of having a long term relationship with Activision on Destiny than on Call Of Duty, which has obviously been around for a very long time.

And equally on Ubisoft… Destiny is new IP on this gen, as is Watch Dogs. We feel it’s preferable, if possible, to tie these sorts of deals in with stuff that’s new and a bit fresh.

N.Domixis

Banned

Microsoft do the same thing.

Navy Bean

"Exclusive" has an incredibly ambiguous meaning for both Sony and Microsoft nowadays, especially during E3 conferences. Both made several misleading statements during their conference this year, so I'm not sure what the shock is.
Yep, Sony was more blatant this year but both do it. Like a dirty gentleman's agreement.

Good i cant stand exclusive content no matter how small it is also That titan armor looks so bland come on bungie you made recon armor you can do better

Wubbys

Timed exclusive or not I would personally prefer playing this on xb1 since that is where my friends are at. With that said I am definitely getting the white ps4 bundle so Idk lol tough call here.

Positive X1 threads do tend to get shitted up quite often. You can say persecution complex all you like but it is kinda true... People certainly aren't hostile to X1 owners though, that's kinda ridiculous.

The way Sony have gone about doing this exclusive Destiny stuff is pretty shady tbh. The image in the OP has "Only on PlayStation" right next to the Destiny title. Obviously it's only referring to the exclusive content but it's seriously misleading. I hate all this exclusive advertising stuff, MS is guilty of it too and it really annoys me. Don't intentionally mislead the consumer.

It isn't kinda true its just straight up true. Some people like to stick their heads in the sand. But its not every thread and its not all of GAF its just the usual suspects.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Sony gets called out here only if they screw up. Near every Xbox One thread is a shit fest no matter the subject.

Pretty much this. The hate is real for Xbox One no matter what the topic is. It still blows my mind about recent thread on Yusuf's quote. The dude is clearly saying, "its the right vision but we didn't gave consumer a choice" and all the OP took out of that context was "It was the right vision" and people not even reading the article. And cursing the whole company and everybody. Its insane lol

Isn't it, like, common knowledge/practice that DLC is next to never a hard exclusive?

Also, so many people spinning something being at a 1st party conference as being "1st party said this was an EXCLLUUUUSIVE!!!"

shanew21

The "get to play destiny first, exclusively on PS4...through an alpha build" was comical. MS had an exclusive beta as well (Evolve maybe?). Really they're just finding ridiculous excuses to tout exclusivity.

geordiemp

Sony and MS were both as guilty as each other in their conference, almost every third party game presented had an exclusive mission / hat / coat / early DLC on just about every game they showed.

I buy a game for the main game, the rubbish fluff is getting annoying and should be included in the game for everyone who forks out the £ 45 or $ 60...

People moan about resolution gate and fps analysis, but for me how the game runs and looks on the console is more important than a different costume or 5 minute side mission (if comparing same game on different consoles as I have 3)....

Jaxyfoo

Banned
This thread is getting nastier and nastier for no reason. So much bitterness at Bungie. Ms did the real dirty on them and they couldn't get out of there quick enough, I'm suprised Destiny is even multi - format, let alone some of the DLC. Some of it will be fully exclusive and some only timed, doesn't really matter. I don't see the reverse hostility to Sunset Overdrive threads for a company that Sony saved twice from going out of business, and suddenly it is producing what is being advertised as The Game of the Year. Till that game most Xbox fans would happily tell you Insomniac are one of the very worst game developers out there, what gives?

DLC, Timed Dlc, exclusive Dlc is one of the worst things in the games industry and we all get hit by it, even on the same platform, you might find half a dozens different ones for a game depending on where you buy it. It isn't going away anytime soon. Some you win, some you lose, anybody who buys a console for a games few minutes of extra content and a couple of cosmetic Dlcs needs to see a shrink.

geordiemp

Pretty much this. The hate is real for Xbox One no matter what the topic is. It still blows my mind about recent thread on Yusuf's quote. The dude is clearly saying, "its the right vision but we didn't gave consumer a choice" and all the OP took out of that context was "It was the right vision" and people not even reading the article. And cursing the whole company and everybody. Its insane lol

Well to be fair MS started to say the right things, we listened to our customers and changed. Well said phil and is the right thing to say.

God knows why Yusuf then started to try and justify the original stuff, all he had to say was we listed and changed.

He should leave the smooth talking to phil, some people just don't deliver well on 'touchy' subjects. Every time I see Yusuf I think of him rattling on about TV TV / US centric features E3 2013 and he grinds me being a 360 faithful guy who defected.

An excellent example is the TLG is cancelled thread (before it was proven false)

No, they didn't. They just didn't mention other platforms which is fine since that's what has always been done. Most of the timed stuff was referred to as exclusive console debut, which means the same thing. You just had to pay attention

The thing is, this last conference, you had to listen to what they DIDN'T say to make sense of it. The GTA V announce being the best example. It took R*'s official release to clarify. And that was kinda shady.

I wonder if all these exclusivity deals (with all games )!i wonder if they will end up doing more harm them good.

Does the potential sales loss from people not buying on Xbox (or vice versa) due to the perception it's only on ps4 versus whatever amount of money they got paid by sony.

Does destiny 2 end up selling shit because it's assumed it's playstation ? Impossible to know now , but I would love to see the eventual figures .

I guess seeing cod sales on last gen would give a rough answer.

Prelude.

The thing is, this last conference, you had to listen to what they DIDN'T say to make sense of it. The GTA V announce being the best example. It took R*'s official release to clarify. And that was kinda shady.
How is it shady? They said that it's coming to PS4, what should they have said instead?

Nimby

Banned
Don't know about you guys, but this "timed exclusive" content is not swaying me one way or another on a 'next-gen' console. Sony and Microsoft seem to think of it as a reason to say, "That's why our console is better." Not really, especially coming from someone who doesn't buy money-grabbing DLC anyway.

"Hi, I'm Andrew House, President and CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment and I'm pleased to announce that GTA V will be coming to Xbox One, PS4 and PC"

Looks wrong doesn't it.

leobebes

Banned
"Hi, I'm Andrew House, President and CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment and I'm pleased to announce that GTA V will be coming to Xbox One, PS4 and PC"

Looks wrong doesn't it.

How about...

"Hi, I'm Andrew House, President and CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment and I'm pleased to announce that you'll be able to transfer your PS3 GTA V character to your PS4 GTA V game."

and leave it at that.

Conference talk are always about filtering out what they didn't say. These are scripts reviewed to perfection to ensure that the right words are mentioned and unnecessary words aren't spoken.

In fact,the skepticism should be tripled when it's 3rd-party games. Eg. I initially expected all 3rd-party titles announced At TGS to be also coming to Xb1,but then subsequent press releases confirm that they are indeed exclusives.

Top Bottom