• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Details on Halo 5: Guardians matchmaking in Arena mode

I'm going to need teammates to play with...the ranking wasn't terrible for a loner during the beta, I still worked my way from silver well into gold...but man, I felt like I was getting first place on my team well over half the time. With a good team I think I could definitely get into diamond tier this time around. I know we'll be doing this in the OT but if anybody feels like they're around that level, feel free to add me, my username is in my public profile

So , there is only one way rank system between main segments (silver-gold etc) Once you rank up , you never drop back to your previous rank. Wish you could lose rank in H5 , that could be better..

Well I think it resets every month. So you have to do the 10 matches each month for placement.

So you will/can be a different rank each month. That's what I took from it.

EDIT:
Seasons

Seasons are a new competitive feature for Arena that gives you a chance to continuously challenge yourself while having the opportunity to earn monthly rewards. When Seasons debut later this year, your CSR in certain playlists will be reset and you will play your placement matches again. You get a fresh start each month to try to prove yourself in select Seasonal Arena playlists. This gives you a chance to top your performance from last season, and see how high of a rank you can achieve. Seasons will last for a month, and anybody who earns a CSR in a Seasonal Playlist will earn cosmetic rewards to commemorate the Season

ahh its only for the seasonal playlists. My bad lol

EDIT2:
So it looks like ill just use the normal arena playlists as practice then jump into the seasonal when I'm warmed up.

Dynasty8

If it's a map like Lockout or Guardian, make that 6.

I agree with you for earlier Halo games that those maps had many bad jumps that could kill you and add a negative point to your team's score....but with Halo 5, clamber is a blessing.

I take it onyx is the new semi pro and champion is pro (from the beta)?

Love the strict banhammer stuff but please tell me the system will look out for and take care of harassers, or players that don't betray but constantly harass teammates with friendly fire so they die easier by enemy fire? This has been an issue since betrayal boots were invented and really needs to be squashed. Many a halo match has been ruined by such shitty people.
You don't enjoy jumping into a ghost only to have a teammate bring it down to 2% health before you even leave the spawn?

I make it a point to block their gamertag and report them. In hopes that at some point they can't even get into an online match...in any game.

Trup1aya

Not true, a lot of join in my matches are right in the begining of the game when a full party leaves, you can still bounce back and have been part of come from behind victory games before in halo and other fps

How do you guys think casuals, people new to the series / caught up in the hype are going to react to bans from games? Seems extreme enough to push people away

1) the fact that it's POSSIBLE to come from behind, or it's POSSIBLE to join early, doesn't negate the fact that JiP is too often an undesirable situation for the player jointing...

I'd rather be guarunteed to play a full match, beginning to end, than to live with the small possibility of a good JiP outcome.

2)This isn't the first game to have bans... Also, you pretty much have to TRY to get put into time out...

I'd much rather people who refuse to be good sports leave the game for good, than have an inflated player count full of assholes...

I'd much rather people who refuse to be good sports leave the game for good, than have an inflated player count full of assholes...
It would be good sportsmanship to end a lopsided match rather than let it play out without possibility of alternates joining up to help.

I'd prefer either JIP or just ending the game when there's quitters/disconnects.

Trup1aya

It would be good sportsmanship to end a lopsided match rather than let it play out without possibility of alternates joining up to help.

I'd prefer either JIP or just ending the game when there's quitters/disconnects.

Lopsided matches tend to end pretty quickly anyway...

The best thing to do is 1) guaruntee full, fair start matches and 2) discourage quitting, both of which have been accomplished.

Nobody want to be that alternate... Especially when playing solo makes being an alternate more likely.
I've yet to see a single proposal on how JiP could work fairly in a ranked playlist... It's all good in social, but it flat out doesn't work in ranked. Period.

AsmBeTI.png

Thanks mate, so awesome in two separate phone calls to EB neither staff member had a clue about this. They could actually send out an email to any preorder customers too, it's not like they don't have our email addresses from ordering online or anything...

tuna_love

Banned
Thanks mate, so awesome in two separate phone calls to EB neither staff member had a clue about this. They could actually send out an email to any preorder customers too, it's not like they don't have our email addresses from ordering online or anything...
Son people got texts about it.

Nobody want to be that alternate...
Not at all true. You don't want to be that alternate, and other posters here wouldn't want to be either, I'm sure. Just as I'm sure there are people who are willing to jump into those games provided they could have some help when they find themselves in the same position.

But I'm not here to bitch about a lack of JIP in Arena - that contest has already been decided and I know what I'll be getting into once the game hits. I just have a different view of sportsmanship, and it doesn't begin and end with stats and the primacy of stats.

jeffc919

Really tempted to pick up an Xbone for this. Destiny has been my main PvP shooter fix for the last year but the changes they've made to matchmaking recently are extremely frustrating. Bungie hasn't been very clear on what they did but it seems the consensus is that they are grouping the top player with scrubs and expecting him to carry them. I seem to be getting punished with this a lot as a > 2.0 KDR player. Anyway, I only mention that because, while I'd really just prefer a purely random roll of the dice where the only matchmaking criteria are connection quality and avoiding random solo players vs. parties, at least the Halo 5 system appears to be transparent about what it's doing. Usually my goal in these types of games is to steadily improve my KDR. I guess here I need to come to terms with that getting replaced by trying to move up in the rankings. Not a big fan of that at least at first since it seems like it will basically be a constant pull on everyone toward a 1.0 KDR, but it beats the Destiny system where I'm being punished by some hidden formula.

I do hope they take into account solo players and avoid matching them against parties. I didn't see any mention of that in the announcement. Obviously they will also need to do some sort of averaging when a party is formed of players that are far apart in skill.

Top Bottom