• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Details on Halo 5: Guardians matchmaking in Arena mode

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Man I am not a fan of no drop in/out in Arena. So basically when 1 douche bag decides to leave your game is fucked and there is no hope for someone else joining in. So you kind of have to suck it up or quit as well.

I don't get the reason behind it. There is a game type Last Titan Standing in Titanfall. If they can do drop in/out why the fuck these people can't? can someone explain?

Glass

yes..the Halo dreams are real. I hope I can get some new halogaf friends to play with me everyday!
this is a hint. my Gamertag is in my profile. ADD ME

Yeah I'm going to need some UK GAF'ers to play warzone with, I'm hoping the announcement Stinkles teased for next week will make such a thing a lot easier.

Trup1aya

Man I am not a fan of no drop in/out in Arena. So basically when 1 douche bag decides to leave your game is fucked and there is no hope for someone else joining in. So you kind of have to suck it up or quit as well.

I don't get the reason behind it. There is a game type Last Titan Standing in Titanfall. If they can do drop in/out why the fuck these people can't? can someone explain?

Two main reasons...

1) no one wants to be the guy who drops in to join your (hypothetically) shitty team in the middle of a lopsided match

2) it screws up the ranking system if folks are playing incomplete matches.

Titan Fall does it because there is no skills based matchmaking system...

Join in progress needs to be kept FAR AWAY from any competitive game modes...

Madness

Join in Progress works in call of duty because of loadouts. It doesn't matter when you start a match because you can pick and choose what weapon you have. If you get thrown into a match that's 4 minutes in, in Halo, you're almost guaranteed that the other team has BR's, has secured some of the power weapons.

Additionally, Halo has a greater focus on team play and map control. Does it matter where you join in Call of Duty? No. You spawn and run around with short kill times, respawn. Whereas in Halo, if you are coming into the match, the other team could have secured the key areas of the map already and once they're entrenched, it's hard to change it coming in.

If someone in CoD is holed up in a key building, I can spawn with some kind of explosive load out or a sniper loadout and take him out from far away, but how can I do that in Halo with just an AR/pistol?

I may sound confusing but I was really thinking about this. It's just so vastly different that it just doesn't work in Halo. Especially if we're talking competitively. I'd ideally like to start a Warzone match from the start as well. I'd hate to be put into blowouts.

Ramirez

Because it's an awful experience to be the person that joins in on a team that's getting destroyed. It also invalidates the ranks, should someone lose their ranking because they JIP and lose 25% of their matches or whatever?

Find 3 people and play together, you're posting on a forum that will have hundreds of people playing this game.

Nutter

It's not fun. Maybe I do suck, but I didn't deserve my original ranking from the beta. I was in the early access and I just was screwing around in matches. When the real beta started, I was still in the low ranks. There were some matches when no one would go for Prophets Bane and I literally ran around in circles getting running riots with it.

I don't think it works like that. The primary matching algorithm goes by rank. I know some people who were backpacked up in beta. Even though they didn't deserve to be in Gold or Onyx, they would then be destroyed the next 50 matches in terms of K/D but as long as their team won or lost, they stayed where they were. The ranking system only takes into account win/loss beyond the initial ten matches. So you can be the absolute worst played 2-23 on a winning team and keep ranking up. They're not going to put a Bronze level player who is Gold with Bronze players.

Getting Running Riots, yet still couldn't transition to the next tier.

I started at Gold 1 because I allowed many folks to play on my account, but eventually ended up in Semi-pro with a 2100 rating towards the end.

BeforeU

Two main reasons...

1) no one wants to be the guy who drops in to join your (hypothetically) shitty team in the middle of a lopsided match

2) it screws up the ranking system if folks are playing incomplete matches.

Titan Fall does it because there is no skills based matchmaking system...

Join in progress needs to be kept FAR AWAY from any competitive game modes...

Because it's an awful experience to be the person that joins in on a team that's getting destroyed. It also invalidates the ranks, should someone lose their ranking because they JIP and lose 25% of their matches or whatever?

Find 3 people and play together, you're posting on a forum that will have hundreds of people playing this game.

So why are you guys assuming the person will be joining the losing team ONLY? I fail to understand how this is skill issue. The way its handled in Titanfall is, if you join the losing team. The loss does not register. Basically the way its set up right is, if someone leaves your team, you are fucked. But if someone joins mid match there is still chance to come back.

@bold please stop. Everytime I want to play Halo 5 Arena I have to find 3 people here on NeoGAF? What a fuckind dumb defense force.

I am not ranting, now I am even more annoyed at the defence force than slightly different then I would have liked matchmaking. But whatever it is what it is. Will still be one hell of a game.

Phionoxx

Dumb question I'm sure but has it been specified which playlists will have the CSR system in place? I'm thinking it's obviously out for Warzone and would be enabled for Team Arena.

But what about the Team Slayer, FFA, SWAT playlists? You do your 10 placement matches for each playlist and could theoretically be placed in a different division across Team Slayer, FFA, and Team Arena? It's been such a long time since playing Reach and the CSR / division system seems closest to that one and I can't remember how that aspect worked. Not sure if I'm wording this well but basically could you be Gold in FFA, Diamond in Team Slayer, etc. concurrently? And then each playlist gets reset monthly for a new season.

Also curious if any (or highest ranked) CSR emblem will be visible in lobbies while playing Warzone or if all of that information will be hidden in that playlist.

Edit: All of the info as part of the post on Waypoint sounds very promising. Glad to see 343 is taking a firm stance on people quitting out and implementing ban guidelines.

Ramirez

So why are you guys assuming the person will be joining the losing team ONLY? I fail to understand how this is skill issue. The way its handled in Titanfall is, if you join the losing team. The loss does not register. Basically the way its set up right is, if someone leaves your team, you are fucked. But if someone joins mid match there is still chance to come back.

@bold please stop. Everytime I want to play Halo 5 Arena I have to find 3 people here on NeoGAF? What a fuckind dumb defense force.

I am not ranting, now I am even more annoyed at the defence force than slightly different then I would have liked matchmaking. But whatever it is what it is. Will still be one hell of a game.

Defense force? Fuck outta here.

You asked what was wrong with JiP, I gave you my thoughts on the subject.

Trup1aya

You said it yourself... A guy quit, leaving your team outnumbered... What are the chances that the match will still be close when I get dragged into it? Chances are the first guy quit BECAUSE he was losing... Now, the other team has all the power weapons and I join a cluster fuck.

The losses not registering doesn't remedy the issue... In Halo people expect their matches to count for something, so that their ranks have meaning... What you're proposing is that the 'joiner's' match is nothing but a waste of time...

It TitanFall, wins/losses don't mean a damn thing anyway...

Above all else JiP is usually terrible experience for the person joining... It might give YOU hope, if your teammate ditches you, but it offers no joy to the player who's thrown into the situation... We want to play a full match with equal starts, and a chance to control our on destiny.

This isn't a 'defense force'. We know from experience that JiP doesn't work in Halo...

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
What I understand is that the Australian server situation has improved significantly since the beta. Won't know for sure how it (our game) performs at scale for another week but I'm optimistic.

Not gonna lie Frank, this statement doesn't fill me with confidence. Kinda over how shitty we're treated when it comes to online gaming.

Titanfall, to this day is still the only multiplayer shooter to give us any kind of respect and that game is fucking fantastic.

I said during the beta that on the odd occasion that I had a lag free game, Halo 5 Arena was almost as good as Titanfall. But WITH lag, it was one of the worst things I've ever experienced. Just horribly horribly inconsistent when lag was an issue. It's why I stick to SWAT. The only Halo playlist not horrifically affected when lag is present.

BeforeU

Defense force? Fuck outta here.

You asked what was wrong with JiP, I gave you my thoughts on the subject.

You suggested terrible fucking alternative that find a group on NeoGAF to play. That does not work when I want to play few matches instantly.

You said it yourself... A guy quit, leaving your team outnumbered... What are the chances that the match will still be close when I get dragged into it? Chances are the first guy quit BECAUSE he was losing... Now, the other team has all the power weapons and I join a cluster fuck.

The losses not registering doesn't remedy the issue... In Halo people expect their matches to count for something, so that their ranks have meaning... What you're proposing is that the 'joiner's' match is nothing but a waste of time...

It TitanFall, wins/losses don't mean a damn thing anyway...

Above all else JiP is usually terrible experience for the person joining... It might give YOU hope, if your teammate ditches you, but it offers no joy to the player who's thrown into the situation... We want to play a full match with equally starts, and a chance to control our on destiny.

This isn't a 'defense force'. We know from experience that JiP doesn't work in Halo...

You guys are just assuming things now. He or the team is losing the the ONLY option when someone would quit? and oh I have WON so many matches in Titanfall dropping in late in the game in a losing team. And have also witness win because of some awesome player dropped in mid match to change the tied.

Let me put in simple.

without JiP if someone leaves the team, the team is most likely fucked and entire match is gone to shit. BUT if there is a chance of another player joining, it can do come back. just my opinion.

Saying find 3 other player to game everytime is a defence force and pretty bad one. I wasn't saying that to you though. it was for the person who suggested that option.

I hope there is a no holds barred playlist because sometimes I want nothing more than to blast three or four of my teammates with a wraith's main cannon.

Madness

Anyone know if Warzone will have some kind of ranking or progression system in place?

Just the overall Spartan Rank. Which works sort of like Reach/Halo 4. Only Arena has CSR ranks that are skill based as opposed to overall progression.

Ramirez

You suggested terrible fucking alternative that find a group on NeoGAF to play. That does not work when I want to play few matches instantly.

You guys are just assuming things now. He or the team is losing the the ONLY option when someone would quit? and oh I have WON so many matches in Titanfall dropping in late in the game in a losing team. And have also witness win because of some awesome player dropped in mid match to change the tied.

Let me put in simple.

without JiP if someone leaves the team, the team is most likely fucked and entire match is gone to shit. BUT if there is a chance of another player joining, it can do come back. just my opinion.

Saying find 3 other player to game everytime is a defence force and pretty bad one. I wasn't saying that to you though. it was for the person who suggested that option.

Then fucking play them and stop worrying so much about your rank? Or play FFA?

JiP fucking blows, and I'm glad 343 agrees for Arena. If that makes me king of the 343 defense force, so be it.

JIP just doesn't work in competitive playlists

dunno about every arena playlist being ranked though. turns me off of the MM even more because now my friends will be super sweaty if they get me to play MM. they didn't want to play Halo 4 in MCC because it was ranked. Warzone being the only social alternative doesn't bode well for people who don't care for ranks.

Trup1aya

Let me put in simple.

Regardless of whether or not you win, JiP doesn't not work with a skill based matchmaking system, period...

Sure, not EVERY person that quits does so because they were losing, but anyone who's been with Halo knows that it's a very common, if not THE MOST common reason for quitting. Regardless of the reason, it gives the joining person a less than ideal experience...

And the TitanFall comparisons just don't work... It doesn't have skill based matchmaking... The player that joins could be the best player in the world, or a noob... In halo, it supposed to be a player at everyone else's skill level, so the chances that he'll be able to dig you out of a hole are slim...

BeforeU

Regardless of whether or not you win, JiP doesn't not work with a skill based matchmaking system, period...

Sure, not EVERY person that quits does so because they were losing, but anyone who's been with Halo knows that it's a very common, if not THE MOST common reason for quitting. Regardless of the reason, it gives the joining person a less than ideal experience...

And the TitanFall comparisons just don't work... It doesn't have skill based matchmaking... The player that joins could be the best player in the world, or a noob... In halo, it supposed to be a guy at your level, so the chances that he'll be able to dig you out of a hole are slim...

I see what you are saying now. I was only thinking it in terms of when I am in a game and someone in my team quits then I want someone else to join and help out. But yeah it would be dumb if I am in matchmaking and the system keep on throwing me into an active game. That was be frustrating as hell.

Phionoxx

Just the overall Spartan Rank. Which works sort of like Reach/Halo 4. Only Arena has CSR ranks that are skill based as opposed to overall progression.

I might be wrong but I'm interepreting the Waypoint information in such a way that it seems the CSR system will not only be for the Team Arena playlist. The Waypoint article clearly mentions the CSR system being implemented on a per playlist system. Why specify that if its only active for one playlist (Team Arena)?

That's why I was curious about what other playlists will have the CSR system active. Obviously not Warzone but what about FFA, Team Slayer, SWAT, etc? Maybe 343 is still trying to figure that out or it just hasn't been specified yet. Basically of the launch playlists which ones are Arena and which ones are not.

Trup1aya

I see what you are saying now. I was only thinking it in terms of when I am in a game and someone in my team quits then I want someone else to join and help out. But yeah it would be dumb if I am in matchmaking and the system keep on throwing me into an active game. That was be frustrating as hell.

you got it!

Now if they add social playlists I'd be all for JiP. Warzone has it, and I'm perfectly cool with that!

Trup1aya

I might be wrong but I'm interepreting the Waypoint information in such a way that it seems the CSR system will not only be for the Team Arena playlist. The Waypoint article clearly mentions the CSR system being implemented on a per playlist system. Why specify that if its only active for one playlist (Team Arena)?

That's why I was curious about what other playlists will have the CSR system active. Obviously not Warzone but what about FFA, Team Slayer, SWAT, etc? Maybe 343 is still trying to figure that out or it just hasn't been specified yet. Basically of the launch playlists which ones are Arena and which ones are not.

All of the Arena playlists have CSR:

Team Arena
Team Slayer
FFA
SWAT
Breakout

And presumable BTB when it comes

Ramirez

I know people like to kick back and shit on randoms, but I doubt the randoms enjoy that, lol. Maybe they're trying to make sure everyone has a fair match in all of the lists?

Do we even know if our ranks are visible to everyone in every playlist?

Phionoxx

All of the Arena playlists have CSR:

Team Arena
Team Slayer
FFA
SWAT
Breakout

And presumable BTB when it comes

Awesome! Thanks, good to know. I was getting hung up on the naming convention of the playlists. So only Warzone modes and Weekend Social will (at least initially) be without CSR.

Dynasty8

I know people like to kick back and shit on randoms, but I doubt the randoms enjoy that, lol. Maybe they're trying to make sure everyone has a fair match in all of the lists?

Do we even know if our ranks are visible to everyone in every playlist?

They were visible in the beta.

Going back to JiP, I've played countless games of Halo 4 where I was thrown into the middle of a match. Literally out of 50+ games, not once was I on the winning team and we always ended up losing (they were landslides). I'm glad they're getting rid of that for Arena. Just hope that with the new Banning system in place, players don't end up quitting like they always do in MCC (prior to the update).

Yeah, I figure I'll probably top out around Gold. Got Silver in the beta, and under the new scheme, that's what Gold is.

It was an interesting tier to be in in the beta. You get a real mix of people. Remember this one time there was this one guy who was just straight AFK for the first 2/3 of the match, then apparently picked up the controller and absolutely destroyed the other team. Must have hit 20 kills. It was nuts.

Eric WK

A little late, but man, I agree that this all sounds fantastic. Between the beta and everything we've learned since the beta, I think this has the potential to be the best Halo experience in a long, long time. We'll see if that pans out.

If there's anybody who anticipates ending up in Diamond or above and wants to do placement matches together right when the game goes live, let me know. I'd prefer not to go it alone. Maybe we can play some MCC matches in the lead up to launch.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Not gonna lie Frank, this statement doesn't fill me with confidence. Kinda over how shitty we're treated when it comes to online gaming.

Titanfall, to this day is still the only multiplayer shooter to give us any kind of respect and that game is fucking fantastic.

I said during the beta that on the odd occasion that I had a lag free game, Halo 5 Arena was almost as good as Titanfall. But WITH lag, it was one of the worst things I've ever experienced. Just horribly horribly inconsistent when lag was an issue. It's why I stick to SWAT. The only Halo playlist not horrifically affected when lag is present.

I'm saying they literally added tons of Azure servers. When you played the beta, there wasn't enough infrastructure. We made changes to the code to improve that AND there are more servers now.

Also Xboxtradamus predictions:

Tomorrow

1. Scotland beats Australia in shock upset
2. Hawks win at home
3. Amusing Halo thing in the morning

Dynasty8

I'm saying they literally added tons of Azure servers. When you played the beta, there wasn't enough infrastructure. We made changes to the code to improve that AND there are more servers now.

Tomorrow

2. Hawks win at home

Nice!

Tomorrow

2. Hawks win at home

Speaking of which, hate to be that chase up guy, but any news on our LCE 1 week early with EB Aus? Currently have 6 people to update on that as we're all getting the same 27th info still.

Top Bottom