• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Details on Halo 5: Guardians matchmaking in Arena mode

Akai__

Your MMR will be Bronze level if you play like shit during your initial matches.

Of course it will be at first, but when you start destroying people in the wrong division your MMR will get a lot higher. Meaning you could start to get Gold opponents while being in a middle Bronze tier.

tootsi666

Of course it will be at first, but when you start destroying people in the wrong division your MMR will get a lot higher. Meaning you could start to get Gold opponents while being in a middle Bronze tier.
Not how I understood it. MMR should be the same as your CSR level most of the time, unless you lose when you can't lose CSR. Your MMR will rise at the same speed as your CSR when you win. That's how it works in other games at least.

GECK

And thus, the "ranking" system was a complete failure made worse by an awful seasonal system...

Seasons are cool and good. But going by the beta where I had friends placing pro after winning 6/10 in placement I'm not a fan at all of not being able to 'lose' the rank you lucked into the first 10 matches.

Not how I understood it. MMR should be the same as your CSR level most of the time, unless you lose when you can't lose CSR. Your MMR will rise at the same speed as your CSR when you win. That's how it works in other games at least.
It is definitely not the way it works in sc2. In sc2 your MMR is independant to your league which means you do can be matched against players from higher leagues if you keep winning.

Akai__

This is not how it works in other games, especially in SC2's case and that is a good example since Josh Menke worked on that and on the Halo 5 one.

I guess we will need to see further clarification on that, but the hidden MMR would be pretty pointless, if it's acting the same as your visible CSR. And since they use the hidden MMR in Warzone, too I doubt that it's acting the same.

tootsi666

This is not how it works in other games, especially in SC2's case and that is a good example since Josh Menke worked on that and on the Halo 5 one.

I guess we will need to see further clarification on that, but the hidden MMR would be pretty pointless, if it's acting the same as your visible CSR. And since they use the hidden MMR in Warzone, too I doubt that it's acting the same.
According to quick google search, it works like that in LoL and SC2 but in DOTA2 and CSGO your hidden MMR and visible ranking (of course you just see your MMR in DOTA2 so it doesn't really count) rise at a similar rate even during winstreaks.

It doesn't really affect smurfing anyway. You just intentionally throw a few games when you start facing against people in the higher divisions.

Then why not have some social playlists?

They would only need
Team slayer
Team objective lol
BTB

Even in social/unranked playlists I'm not personally a fan of JiP. It's rarely enjoyable to get thrown into a match on the team that is down 45-10 in a race to 50. Sure, sometimes you have those epic moments where you hot-drop into a match like that and somehow pull off a 10 or 15 kill streak before the match ends. Then you walk away like "sure we lost, but I rocked that shi....".

But how often does that happen? In most cases, if you get dropped into a match like that (social or not) you might as well just bend over at the spawn location and wait for the pain to be over... or quit out and let some other poor bastard take the abuse.

Join in progress is a plague. (IMO)

Akai__

According to quick google search, it works like that in LoL and SC2 but in DOTA2 and CSGO your hidden MMR and visible ranking (of course you just see your MMR in DOTA2 so it doesn't really count) rise at a similar rate even during winstreaks.

It doesn't really affect smurfing anyway. You just intentionally throw a few games when you start facing against people in the higher divisions.

I'm not sure where you found that it works like this in SC2, because it totally isn't working like this for smurfing. And remember, we have been talking about this special case. I've seen several Grand Master players (top 200) starting a new smurf account, losing all the placement matches on purpose and then ranking up. As soon as they are placed Bronze and won 2-3 matches, they already started to get Gold and Platinum players, because their MMR was increasing or too high for an actual Bronze or Silver player. So, your MMR is not tied to your rank or the division you are placed in, but it affects the players you are finding.

In reality, if you are not smurfing, your MMR will have a correlation to your rank/division, of course. Higher ranked players will have a higher MMR obviously. MMR systems usually try to put you on a 50% win-loss ratio, which when you hit it, is for every person different. Some will hit that limit in Silver and others will hit it in Champion. As long as that works there shouldn't be a problem with the actual ranking system.

Hope 343i has a live ladder list for at least the top 200 players. Similiar to this SC2 Grandmaster list: http://eu.battle.net/sc2/de/ladder/grandmaster/heart-of-the-swarm

JIP only works in modes where the player count is high. It just doesn't work for 4vs4 modes, where each individual skill is crucial to the outcome of the match.

The only reason why it works in games like BF is that 1 squad can completely dominate the game, so individual skill is weighted less, especially since the modes are 32v32 players. It's basically ideal for a 12v12 mode like Warzone.

Based on my experience with the Killer Instinct system I'll absolutely stomp my first 4 games and then get completely wrecked the last 6, landing me in Bronze or something. Game finally started installing, just 10 more days. Feels like yelling about Chief being replaced by Blue Samus based on the original cover art reveal was just yesterday.

Leyasu

Banned
Even in social/unranked playlists I'm not personally a fan of JiP. It's rarely enjoyable to get thrown into a match on the team that is down 45-10 in a race to 50. Sure, sometimes you have those epic moments where you hot-drop into a match like that and somehow pull off a 10 or 15 kill streak before the match ends. Then you walk away like "sure we lost, but I rocked that shi....".

But how often does that happen? In most cases, if you get dropped into a match like that (social or not) you might as well just bend over at the spawn location and wait for the pain to be over... or quit out and let some other poor bastard take the abuse.

I understand all the arguments. Just that none really bother me. Also I dont really see the penalties stopping people.

Talking of things that not liked. I wouldn't be against turning off friendly fire. Lol

I just hope that matchmaking doesn't pair me up with americans half the time instead of someone a lot more local unless i'm playing at 3am in the morning.

Theorry

I just hope that matchmaking doesn't pair me up with americans half the time instead of someone a lot more local unless i'm playing at 3am in the morning.

I guess you can select yourself the datacenter you wanna connect to?
Same like Titanfall and GoW?

Akai__

The search is ping based, according to one of the blog posts. It will try to find low ping matches. Not sure about what is considered low ping.

Datacenter selection has been dropped.

343 felt it was better to rely on their auto selection methods and scrapped the datacenter choice after saying that they would add it after the beta last winter.

bad move imo.

Leyasu

Banned
The search is ping based, according to one of the blog posts. It will try to find <75ms matches, iirc.

Datacenter selection has been dropped.

Do you remember what blog that was?

<75ms would be great. But Josh said on slaent that they consider everyting under 100ms to be acceptable.

Still, as I ping the east US datacenter at 112ms, I will forever play in the EU which is perfect for me.

@ diablohead. Totally agree with the bad move statement.

krang

343 felt it was better to rely on their auto selection methods and scrapped the datacenter choice after saying that they would add it after the beta last winter.

bad move imo.

Not this again. Isn't there a thread specifically for this topic?

I understand all the arguments. Just that none really bother me. Also I dont really see the penalties stopping people.

Talking of things that not liked. I wouldn't be against turning off friendly fire. Lol

Lol yeah, I mean I'm not losing any sleep over it being in Warzone. I'm just not personally a fan.

But turn off friendly fire, are you mad man!? I can't even imagine all the careless grenade spam that would happen if you turned off.... oh wait.

link1201

I hate getting shot from teammates but I think having it off also allows bad things to happen. For instance from my experience it makes the game a grenade spam fest which isn't very fun. I am hopeful the ranking system, once I get settled into a rank, will keep me away from teammates who just want to try and be a wise guy and shoot me for whatever reason. I had a good experience during the beta with this. I am very glad Arena is all ranked for this reason.

Ramirez

Then why not have some social playlists?

They would only need
Team slayer
Team objective lol
BTB

That's what WZ is for. Maybe I'm wrong on this, but I feel like they wanted all of the Arena to be ranked to make people care about the competitive aspect more. As most have pointed out, no one cared in Reach because it was restricted to one playlist with a low population.

This all sounds great! I loved the ranking system in the beta. This is a team game so if your losing solo find a team to play with.

Tawpgun

Part of me wants to intentionally do shit in those qualifying matches so I get put into silver tier or something and can just groundpound kids all day.

Kei-

So is this similar to the League Of Legends system? Haven't played it myself, just going based off what I know of the game.

I thought this post covered everything we needed to know about the ranking system.. Another case of ppl not reading it all and ppsting knee jerk reaction and perhaps trolling?

Cant wait to have my first monthh I'm bronze. 2nd in gold. And when i have time, try to get up as high as i can. Wont be no champion though:((( not enough time

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Part of me wants to intentionally do shit in those qualifying matches so I get put into silver tier or something and can just groundpound kids all day.
As has been pointed out elsewhere, that won't work. You be placed in a lower rank for blowing those matches but still get matched with players at your skill. Presumably, after donging for a few games you'll be matched with appropriate opponents but still have your low visible rank till you slowly, hopefully, rank up. You are much better off getting the best qualifying rank possible from the get go.

I like the idea of bans for quitting, but I just hope it doesn't ban you too long for quitting every once in a while when stuff come up and you have to quit for a while.
Anyways, this should make arena a much better experience.

EvB

I give it a month until after launch before we get a Wahbulance thread of "my connection is bad and I've been banned from Halo"

RowdyReverb

I give it a month until after launch before we get a Wahbulance thread of "my connection is bad and I've been banned from Halo"
Arena is probably not the best mode for someone with a shit connection. Such a person should stick to Warzone. It sucks for them, but the alternative is having it suck for everyone they play with.
Kinda like an STD.

Madness

It's not fun. Maybe I do suck, but I didn't deserve my original ranking from the beta. I was in the early access and I just was screwing around in matches. When the real beta started, I was still in the low ranks. There were some matches when no one would go for Prophets Bane and I literally ran around in circles getting running riots with it.

As has been pointed out elsewhere, that won't work. You be placed in a lower rank for blowing those matches but still get matched with players at your skill. Presumably, after donging for a few games you'll be matched with appropriate opponents but still have your low visible rank till you slowly, hopefully, rank up. You are much better off getting the best qualifying rank possible from the get go.

I don't think it works like that. The primary matching algorithm goes by rank. I know some people who were backpacked up in beta. Even though they didn't deserve to be in Gold or Onyx, they would then be destroyed the next 50 matches in terms of K/D but as long as their team won or lost, they stayed where they were. The ranking system only takes into account win/loss beyond the initial ten matches. So you can be the absolute worst played 2-23 on a winning team and keep ranking up. They're not going to put a Bronze level player who is Gold with Bronze players.

bad move imo.

I really don't understand why people dislike this. The reason people liked to choose their data center is because sometimes the one in their region isn't the one with the best connection, but Stinkles said the auto-selection automatically chooses the one with the best connection anyway so isn't it just automatically doing what you would do anyway?

Tawpgun

It's not fun. Maybe I do suck, but I didn't deserve my original ranking from the beta. I was in the early access and I just was screwing around in matches. When the real beta started, I was still in the low ranks. There were some matches when no one would go for Prophets Bane and I literally ran around in circles getting running riots with it.

I don't think it works like that. The primary matching algorithm goes by rank. I know some people who were backpacked up in beta. Even though they didn't deserve to be in Gold or Onyx, they would then be destroyed the next 50 matches in terms of K/D but as long as their team won or lost, they stayed where they were. The ranking system only takes into account win/loss beyond the initial ten matches. So you can be the absolute worst played 2-23 on a winning team and keep ranking up. They're not going to put a Bronze level player who is Gold with Bronze players.

I like a mix.

We had a really close match with a pro team in the early access. Blew it at the end and lost but it was a really fun match. Got matched up against pro teams fairly frequently in the early access.

But its also fun to unwind and dump on randos.

My concern with the quitting thing is... I hope there's a mercy thing in effect. Like if your teammates quit or something you can forfeit the match with no penalty. The games where there's only one kid on the enemy team that refuses to quit are the worst.

My concern with the quitting thing is... I hope there's a mercy thing in effect. Like if your teammates quit or something you can forfeit the match with no penalty. The games where there's only one kid on the enemy team that refuses to quit are the worst.
I'm interested in knowing why this hasn't been implemented already, a mercy or voting option to end the match early. Since Halo 2 this has been the case, but we still don't have anything to fix it. Join In Progress was supposed to help, but that turned out to be a terrible experience for competitive play.

It's the same with many things, like the recent TMCC patch that randomizes tied votes. Why did it take this long for that to be a thing when it's an obvious improvement?

Bsigg12

Wouldn't that create an issue that every match in Arena with someone quitting would result in the match being void? Couldn't you then if you're not going to win have someone quit from your team to to void the game and keep your CSR up?

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

I think you misunderstood me. I was probably unclear. It sounds to me like the visible rank is not strictly how you are matched, MMR is taken into account as well. A skilled player (say could be onyx) that purposely throws his/qualifying and gets placed as bronze will initially have bronze CSR and MMR. But after destroying opponents, over time the MMR will adjust and match him with better opponents. Eventually, this onyx skilled player may match with onyx players based on his MMR and skill, despite his csr rank lagging behind. Hence, making it not as attractive to throw your initial ranking as matchmaking will do its job and pair you with like skilled players eventually, CSR reflecting that or not.

Do I have this wrong?

TheOddOne

Nah, those guys are the best. They at least go down with the ship.

I'm supposed to be in full dark mode but I can't resist... I don't wanna read the whole thread but I wanna add something and maybe someone will have an answer.

I'd like 343 to have their website show how many players are ranked in each category. For Reach, you could go on Bungie's website and see where you rank vs the rest of the world.

Thoughts?

Jolkien

I'm supposed to be in full dark mode but I can't resist... I don't wanna read the whole thread but I wanna add something and maybe someone will have an answer.

I'd like 343 to have their website show how many players are ranked in each category. For Reach, you could go on Bungie's website and see where you rank vs the rest of the world.

Thoughts?

If it's not on the official website third parties website will have that information since 343 will make their API public for stats tracking.

Smokey

Is FFA dead?

I really don't like playing on Teams competitively. Someone always quits, AFK, or doesn't really give af.

Where is FFA :(

If it's not on the official website third parties website will have that information since 343 will make their API public for stats tracking.

Yeah, I forgot about that very interesting fact. Thanks man.

In the last week I dreamt twice that I was playing... the wait is almost over... almost...

Back to my hole now....

Dynasty8

Is FFA dead?

I really don't like playing on Teams competitively. Someone always quits, AFK, or doesn't really give af.

Where is FFA :(

They're banning quitters, AFKers, and team killers. The more they do that the longer the ban becomes.

And there is FFA as well.

Yeah, I forgot about that very interesting fact. Thanks man.

In the last week I dreamt twice that I was playing... the wait is almost over... almost...

Back to my hole now....

Me and you both man.

Top Bottom