• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Develop: PC VR sales has almost ground to a halt

It's actually closer to 500 seeing you need a camera for newcomers who don't have one. In any case like others have said so far all I'm seeing is mostly those experiences, on rails and sims. It's always these little add on vr levels that seem to be added. Time will tell I guess

I just don't see the masses buying an additional $500 device just for those experiences. Seems to be good for sims, racing and maybe fighting games though but everything else seems limited. I did see fallout 4 was going in vr on vive but even they are considering teleporting for movement. The games people would love to play in vr seem to be meeting issues with movement and getting dizzy. Or those that have fast movements.

Generally, you can put any game in vr though so the entire it needs a killer app thing is funny to me since I view the vr headset as another medium for viewing content. Devs should be able to adjust for vr in mostly any game unless the hardware itself is limited and they need to adjust specifically to make it acceptable.

im pretty much right with you.

VR needs a killer app, but the install base isnt AAA justification big yet, so you have experiences like RE7 that offer in VR but arent VR games.

and like you said, the masses plopping down 500 bucks for the experiences currently available on VR seems like a stretch.

Until a AAA game comes out that is exclusive to VR, I'm not sure anyone can be surprised people don't want to pay the entry fee.

Software has been selling hardware since the don of personal computing.
Who is the Don of personal computing?

giphy.gif

This guy.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Of course it will, it's cheap and it's Playstation.

I still don't see it setting the world on fire though. VR is too damn early.

400 bucks for a headset with a lackluster software library is still way, way too expensive. Time will tell how many developers are willing to jump in on supporting PSVR.

dalin80

Banned
Expensive fad flops like expensive fads always do. I'm sure the interest cycle will come round again one day, much like how 3d seems the big relevant thing once every 20 years.

Thing about that is, VR is not required. Not that Capcom would do that with RE anyway, they aren't that crazy. Still though I think most people will play that without VR.

A good point. I just hope AAA studios invest in full game experiences for PSVR to get it moving. At that point, Sony needs to work hard on cutting the costs of the headset.

Hardware and software both just aren't there yet. I don't think it's going to be a fan given how seriously so many companies and developers are looking at this. It's just a slow adoption process. Like 1080p TV's or anything else with a relatively high upfront cast has been. That being said, it's still too high a cost for what you're getting. They need to offer more value in one way or another. One is lowering the price. The other is giving more for your money. I still think Eye tracking and foveated rendering and the massive performance advantage it could potentially bring Is a big factor of pushing forward VR. It's just very expensive to build a computer that can run those VR games we all want to play. Some people might say but look at PSVR and yes you're right but it's still a more limited experience than what many of us want. With the performance boost it becomes the inverse for a system build. They potentially might go the VR route because it becomes more cost effective for IQ in the long run.

Just to be clear that will still be niche. But it will keep the boll rolling. Not to mention that performance paradigm shift would be a big deal for console level VR. It affects the bottom line more than anything.

MattXIII

Technology is not good enough just yet. It will be a fad on PlayStation too mark my words

And if history has proven anything its Sony will drop major focus for anything at the first sign of struggle.
Vita, Move, Playstation Eye, PS Mobile...

What ever the case, it'll be interesting to watch the reception of PSVR.

filly

My Vive had a dead pixel. Kind of a blessing, sent it back for a full refund in the first 2 weeks. I had kicks out of showing my friends, but there is only so much millage you can get out of loading a few demo's for friends to try out only to realize there are very few meaningful experiences that are not just technical demonstrations for yourself to play.

I have no problem with gimmicks and I don't think the Vive itself is a gimmick, but until VR games are able to step up and become as deep and nuanced as normal games we won't see growth past the enthusiast high end PC gamer level. Also, of course a price drop...

I hope that VR game makers don't see this as a reason to pump in less money into development. I'm sure at this stage a lot of projects are waiting to see if the market is fruitful from how PSVR performs. I think there are some very compelling titles coming out on that, that will in turn make the PC VR developers push harder if the uptake of them is good.

Grief.exe

VR flopping on PlayStation won't be a good thing for VR.

Companies are aware the adoption rate will be slow. The tech is too expensive and too niche to penetrate the mainstream. You will see a similar result to the PC market.

The armchair GAF economists in this thread have been fascinating as usual.

Who didn't see it as one?
I was sure this first iteration would bomb hard and I don't think it was a fad.

But they are selling a overpriced shitty experience with uncomfortable, low resolution headsets and still doesn't have a proper solution for acknowledging your body... It's bound to only sell a little until they can offer a cheap and better experience.

Not surprising in the slightest. I knew VR was never going to be the future. The lack of anything resembling a killer app for any of the VR platforms doesn't help.

longdi

Banned
Too expensive
Too many cables
Too lowres

It will take a miracle for VR to take off.
Or at least takes dedicated investors to keep pumping money into it

No surprise, we're past the early adopter phase and the average gamer sure isn't going to spend thousands on a beefy PC and VR headset just to play a bunch of rail shooters, wave shooters or teleportation shooters. My interest in VR has plummeted through the floor after watching Giant Bomb's VRodeos and such, there isn't a single game I'd want to play for more than 2-3 mins - especially not if "point to teleport" continues to be the primary movement method.

Linkup

July was when Oculus had caught up with shipping so the usual bumps Steam was seeing likely had to do with that and now they are gone. I don't have an excuse for the Vive, especially since it already has the roomscale stuff and controllers that the Rift is getting in a few months. The fan base will tell you there is plenty of content, but the mainstream gamers seem to think otherwise. I'm sure Steam will show an increase once Touch launches and Rift owners look for additional motion controller content outside of Oculus Home. We could see a price drop for the Vive by then to combat the Touch controllers and PSVR.

Hardly shocking.
PC VR is expensive as hell and the games so far don't seem that great to justify the investment required.

I watch GiantBomb's VR streams every once in a while and most of the games they play seem pretty mediocre after the novelty wares off.
Hopefully PSVR can deliver some more worthwhile, high production experiences.

Foggy

Not surprising to detractors or evangelists of VR. What is surprising is so many people not understanding what a fad is. But hey, hot takes are free.

Lagamorph

A lack of titles alongside massive headset pricing won't really lead to a huge uptake.

Occulus Rift trying to implement hardware DRM and attempting to split the community doesn't exactly help either.

eh, for a series that hasn't been relevant like before, I wouldn't put much weight on that game.

They need something else.
That seems like a silly argument against the game.

I mean it’s a well-known franchise that is now fully playable in VR, depending on how well it works that could be an easy way to get attention for VR.
Just because it isn’t as popular as it was before doesn’t take away from its name recognition and the potential for being a driving force towards changing perceptions on VR as a medium.

One of the main complaints against VR is ‘it’s all tech demos/small games’ and this is one of the first ‘real’ games that you can play fully in VR so it’s at least going to be something that will get peoples interest that may have written off VR up to that point. It opens up the idea that it isn’t just small experiences that are available in VR.

Vlaphor

I still want an HTC Vive, but if they want to lower the price...I wont complain.
I also really want a PSVR as well, but that is for the games they've been showing.

LordRaptor

It opens up the idea that it isn’t just small experiences that are available in VR.

Just slapping a VR capable camera onto an existing title undermines the need for VR experiences to be built as VR from the ground up, not treated as more expensive 3D TV though.

Linkup

Too expensive
Too many cables
Too lowres

It will take a miracle for VR to take off.
Or at least takes dedicated investors to keep pumping money into it

Google, Sony, Facebook, Intel, Nvidia, and Valve aren't dedicated investors willing to pump money into it?

Heck, what major tech company isn't talking/showing off some kind of VR/AR project/hardware?

Even though I am aware of the lack of fully featured games, as soon as they are able to drop the price to something that I consider reasonable, I'm in like Flynn.

Price is the biggest hang up for me.

Angry Fork

I want one badly but it's way too expensive. I don't even really care that there aren't a ton of games for it, I still want to experience it and would buy one if the price wasn't insane.

gcubed

I think PSVR will drive VR gaming more so than what's out now, but if that lasts beyond the year or so after it's release will be the question.

I plan on using psvr now and moving to PC based for gen 2 is it does actually turn out that way

Necro900

This first gen of consumer VR is horrendously expensive, but that's kinda expected. I'll wait for 3rd/4th gen devices before even considering one. By then we'll have wireless/standalone, high resolution displays, better eye comfort (light field displays) and improved usability.

Yep, but the question is: will we have 2nd, 3rd and 4th generation products if this first generation doesn't sell well?

Oh man, I just bought a Vive! its arriving today.

Ive only really got it for Elite though so if there are any other games for it its a bonus for me.

me0wish

Picture quality and comfort are my main complaints, I find VR to be underwhelming once the "magic" wears off.

Trogdor1123

Played psvr this weekend and was really impressed. It wasn't as detailed as a vive but it was certainly serviceable and was much better than I expected. Could do some really neat things with it. The headset was way more comfortable than the other 2.

inki

I'm confused. The quoted article is stating Growth not install base is slowing down. If 10 people buy VR in June and there is 0.03 growth in sales then 10.3 people bought it in July.
That's not grounding to a halt, that simply just not exponential sales growth.

Please elaborate in case I'm misreading?

I would have jumped in, but at a very high price point with little compelling software (from all feedback around the industry). Well, that's a terrible combination...

ElFly

Yep, but the question is: will we have 2nd, 3rd and 4th generation products if this first generation doesn't sell well?

I assume there will be a second generation at least, if anything as a last ditch attempt to reignite the market

ZOONAMI

VR again put on the market before it's ready, just like the 90s.

Or, no one really cares about VR. I don't think entertainment is necessarily better from a VR perspective with as much immersion as possible. I think a lot of people realize that. Not everyone wants to be completely immersed in their media, they just want to be entertained, and I don't think VR is inherently better suited to entertaining people than other screens that aren't strapped around your head. Or even books, and music. VR as a medium is competing with a lot of other forms that are far more culturally engrained and with decades or even centuries of polished content. It has a tough road ahead of it I think. Once it is completely mind blowing with 8k+ screens and 20 teraflops GPUs, then it might take off because of how mind blowing it is.

I have an Oculus and it is the future, I hate news like this because it brings out the "dar dar fad" folks. It doesn't take Nostradamus to see that the medium has a very high probability of being massively successful and important technology, the question is just still "when".

Like Durante said, as of now it's niche. The tech is there but it's still too expensive for a lot of people. The thing is, it's not going away. VR has been around for decades for various reasons, only it was thousands and thousands of dollars. Now it's much more advanced, streamlined, lighter, etc. with lots of developers working on it. When you have a tech that keeps coming back like this, a lot of people think it's doomed to fail, but I think the opposite. It keeps coming back because of the idea behind it, some sort of need to have this reflection of reality that can be manipulated.

If people can't see the power behind that, as well as how close we're coming to achieve it, then that's a limit of imagination and the power of human capability. I mean it's right there, the technology works and many of you dismiss it simply because it's not selling gangbusters right now.

Things the tech needs to push it into the stratosphere:
-More developers and time for developers to understand the medium.
-Comfort factor, including size and weight needs to be a little better, but considering the strides they've made, there's no doubt that this is an achievable goal.
-Price of course.

Tons of developers are working on VR, for example doesn't Valve have like a third of their team working on it or something? Comfort level isn't terrible but it can easily be improved. Prices will drop on these devices within months, I think we'll see a steady reuptake once it gets below 400 or so, which should be in a matter of months, not years. Have a little hope, GAF.

Of course if it was dirt cheap I would buy one but my main concerns right now are resolution and field of view.

I think VR is here to stay but its going to have to tick along slowly and somehow keep improving with the display tech etc

Metal B

Why is anybody surprised? This is the first generation of a new medium and technology. Only people, who want to develop for it and techgeeks, should really buy one at this early point. People still haven't figured out the basics of VR.

Everybody can buy one, but it isn't meant to be a mainstream product. Their simply still too many problems to solve and important features missing (eye-tracking, wireless, powerfull PCs becoming cheaper, etc.). Maybe at the end of next year or in two years I could see VR really taking off.

PSVR will be a nice gimmick for what is possible in this pricr range.

Top Bottom