• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Develop: PC VR sales has almost ground to a halt

kinggroin

Banned
Cuz it kinda sucks atm. Games aren't polished enough and certainly not varied enough.

Plus the unit is still way to expensive

Sizzel

I love the VIve and it completely was not what I thought VR would be, but with the games out, I am glad my office bought it and not me. I can;t see Oculus or PSVR( outside of the lower price and large install base) doing well. Actually I am sure PSVR will do well since it is sold out, but seated VR is exactly what I thought VR would be.. kinda gimmicky/3d tv strapped to face.

With free roam ( Vive) you get presence and a feeling of actually being in the game world. It has to be tried.Need moar games. C'mon Bethesda. It will be a tragedy if PSVR/Oculus becomes the standard.. seated DS4 vr :/

I can't help but feel there is a correlation between the upswing alt-right/gamergate in recent months and the flatlining of VR. conservative gaming not just in content but platform/medium?

Not surprised, the pc fans who were shouting how it would be huge on pc were always delusional.

I mean when you take Into consideration that there were only 13 million pc owners who had compatible computers for the pcvr sets when they released it was always going to be slow going for the platform.

Psvr does have a much better chance of taking off compared to pc. Pc owners will spout how crap psvr is in comparison yet for most people the difference isn't that great and considering many people are floored just using smartphone vr the jump to psvr is huge for them.

The price will still be a high barrier but it's much more affordable compared to other comparable sets, plus Sony have a much bigger potential audience (over 40 million ps4 owners) plus Sony being a platform holder will have better access and motivation to suitable software that will help drive sales.

Doesn't mean it will be HUGE instantly but it's going to do much better than the vive or rift.

QaaQer

Looked up my purchased games for HTC Vive

Space Pirate Trainer VR
$14.99
Owners: 73,804 ± 7,080

so the first non-pack in game is at 73K sold @ $14.99. After Steam's cut, the dev is looking at $766 000, assuming full price purchases.

Moonstone

You can't even buy those devices at amazon or retail here (germany).
Only via their website. I'm not buying though htcvive.com which ship from Ireland a product which costs 950€. I'd rather have at least a retailer from my country or better a local retailer.

PSVR will have the big advantage that you get it at retail. That is how you reach a wider audience. If you can't even order at amazon - it's meant to be niche.

grizzelye

VR releasing now is a good step in the right direction, but won't really be mainstream till a couple years later (5-8 years?).

Price isn't the problem stopping me purchase a headset, I just haven't seen anything that interests me.

pa22word

I want to believe, but there's just not a lot there to convince me to buy. Valve really needs to put out something for VR other than old ports for me to get into it.

Alo0oy

Banned
Who didn't see it as one?

It's not a fad, it needs to be successful first before it becomes a fad, when the best selling VR game sells like a Compile Heart game, then it's not a fad, it's a niche product people on message boards overestimated.

PSVR could be another niche product just like Oculus and Vive, comparisons to Move and Kinect are bad because those peripherals sold 20 million units, PSVR would be lucky to sell a quarter of that.

We have a vive set up at work to test it, and see what we can do with it etc. It is REALLY impressive tech, and the experience is very cool. That said though, holy shit is it expensive, and I think there are some other issues that need to be worked out still. Like a single standard. I don't need a separate display device for each console, and hell I can hook a computer up to the same tv as everything else nowadays. I don't want or need a separate VR display for everything. Specially not when they're so damn expensive.

The key players need to come together, establish a consortium, like the Bluray or Wireless one. Set some standards and figure out a way to lower the entry price.

With free roam ( Vive) you get presence and a feeling of actually being in the game world. It has to be tried.Need moar games. C'mon Bethesda. It will be a tragedy if PSVR/Oculus becomes the standard.. seated DS4 vr :/

I really can't see gaming standing up and walking around as the standard.

IvanJ

Banned
Wow, this fad died faster than I expected.
I thought it will limp and stagger until late 2017 for some reason, but in the end it's basically D.O.A.

Now we will have PSVR, some people will jump into it Kinect-style, only to store it in the attic six months later at best.

I'll buy into VR when there's content worth the price of entry and there's much less chance that I'll be spending that kind of money on a glorified paperweight.

There's really no need for a split VR market, especially this early in the game. I would assume it stops most rational people who don't have loads of disposable income from buying in. I have a VR ready PC and the cost of entry for a headset alone is too high to buy one over another when there's a chance that the VR games you'll want won't work with whichever you chose.

I am still looking forward to PSVR. I like the the guys from PS Acess and they played Driveclub VR. I know they work for Sony but I doubt the enthusiasm is fake.

That video sold me on VR:

https://youtu.be/VkPSZMFYSzk

These guys clearly never played VR before and let me tell you after a few hours of VR it becomes quite normal, the initial excitement is excellent but that's about that. And Driveclub is still Driveclub.

Fret

I didn't and I don't.

High end VR is not a fad, it's (currently) a niche.

Which is perfectly fine with me, most of my favourite things in gaming are niche.

exactly.

not only that though, but I think the people who wanted to buy into high-end VR have already done so, thus the slow down in sales. VR was always going to take a while to get doing.

jett

D-Member
This is going to go the way of 3D gaming at this rate. Remember when that was a thing? :p Maybe the next generation of VR platforms will fare better, when the barrier of entry has lowered considerably.

Sadly there's no compelling content on PC, PS4 or anywhere either. No killer app, no system seller.

I still think VR is the next big thing and, honestly, the only tech that really excites me in this space.

Saying slow adoption means it's a fad is funny to someone who lived through stupidly slow broadband internet adoption.

Also, fads tend to be supremely popular, but short-lived. This feels the opposite.

QaaQer

I've tried and liked a lot both HTC Vive and the Samsung Gear VR, but the entry point for both of them (although I know they are completely different products) is too expensive for what they are offering right now.

I really want VR to become mainstream and therefore cheaper, but I'm sorry I'm not spending thousands of euros to have a HTC Vive (o Rift) and I'm not buying a Samsung compatible smartphone just for the Gear VR.

The combo PS4 + PSVR might become interesting (price wise). We'll see. Maybe by the time Scorpio is a thing there are better and chaper generation 2 devices.

Gear VR is $50 if you have a compatible phone.

ChryZ

The question is if VR will manage to break out of the early adopter / ultra enthusiast ghetto. Prices need to come down for sure, but more needs to happen: easier to setup, wireless gear, killer apps, etc.

i dont think another $500 AUD set of vr goggles and a heap of demo games are really going to save VR to be honest

most of what im seeing coming out on the psvr is at most gimmicky with only a handful of stuff that may be full fledged experiences

i think most people will get over the vr factor really quickly and it will go back in the draw with the move controls...the kinnect

in order to succeed it needs to be better priced and it needs to have proper vr games with full experiences.

McHuj

Imo VR is still a decade away. It needs to physically smaller, wireless, and really cheap to take off.

Alo0oy

Banned
This is going to go the way of 3D gaming at this rate. Remember when that was a thing? :p Maybe the next generation of VR platforms will fare better, when the barrier of entry has lowered considerably.

Sadly there's no compelling content on PC, PS4 or anywhere either. No killer app, no system seller.

3D was fun though, as soon as 3D was released to the mainstream we had Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy VII, and Gran Turismo.

When PSVR releases to the mainstream on PS4, what's it gonna have? Rigs?

Xater

3D was fun though, as soon as 3D was released to the mainstream we had Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy VII, and Gran Turismo.

When PSVR releases to the mainstream on PS4, what's it gonna have? Rigs?

He means 3D with 3D TVs and glasses.

So you think the solution to VR has anything to do with the new Microsoft console, which consists in attaching an already too expensive product (VR Headset) for the mainstream to a new console that Microsoft is already saying it's going to be sold at a premium cost aka not for mainstream?

Oculus Rift was also sold out in hours. The problem is that after the rush of hardcore gamers, there is no 2nd wave of interest that comes from the mainstream audience. I doubt PSVR will be any different at that price.

I don't think being a "hardcore" gamer means you want things like VR.

Sold my Vive recently. The technology is impressive, but the games and experiences I'm looking for just aren't there or even on the horizon. I'm sold on VR though and will jump back in if they continue to grow the support.

If Sony can cut the cost of PSVR by half in the next year-year and a half, VR can be easily obtainable by the masses as long as the quality games are there.

kinggroin

Banned
I can't help but feel there is a correlation between the upswing alt-right/gamergate in recent months and the flatlining of VR. conservative gaming not just in content but platform/medium?

A lot of enthusiast gamers and the community they reside in tend to be VERY conservative and VERY close minded.

Mostly due to an unfounded paranoid view that anything "new" and non-traditional puts their tried and true gaming structures at risk of future support. It's completely irrational.

Then there are the rest that simply want to keep fucking in the same position for the rest of their lives because it works for them. They aren't haters or anything, but just rather not try anything new since things already work for them. This is a much more (if boring) understandable viewpoint.

I think most gamers (as in those not falling into those two categories) are actually very open minded and willing to try anything that's legitimately fun, inexpensive, and gets great support.

Zia

Of course it was never going to blow up on PC, with its $2,000 buy-in and inferior tech in the Vive. Just wait until it hits a mainstream platform like PlayStation and Sony unleashes its killer slate of industry-leading exclusives. It's why PlayStation is the best place to play.

Lister

Banned
Of course it was never going to blow up on PC, with its $2,000 buy-in and inferior tech in the Vive. Just wait until it hits a mainstream platform like PlayStation and Sony unleashes its killer slate of industry-leading exclusives. It's why PlayStation is the best place to play.

This thread is weird.

Xater

You assume price is the main deterrent to VR. It could be most people don't give a shit, like 3D(which is more likely).

I think price is the biggest deterrent. I have tried VR multiple times and always enjoyed it, but I am not buying in at these prices and these games.

Burai

shitonmychest57
The biggest risk to the long term future of VR is mobile. I have a horrible feeling that by the time the high end headsets come anywhere near to being affordable the market will have already decided not to bother based on the experience they had with Cardboard/Gear VR.

"I had that on my phone already and it was crap."

Much like how substandard experiences with 3D TV killed that market dead before glasses-free tech had a chance, I'd predict the same for VR.

The lack of killer apps is doing nothing to sell it as any more than a throwaway curio either.

QaaQer

Smartphone VR is very accessible in terms of price, and it will only get moreso. That is where mass market will be, not with stand alone headsets requiring expensive desktop PCs.

PSVR really needs to sell if investments in non-mobile VR games are going to be made in the next few years.

You assume price is the main deterrent to VR. It could be most people don't give a shit, like 3D(which is more likely).

Pretty much. The price for me at the moment is a factor but, I wouldn't mind paying for it right now if there was something that I actually wanted to play on the thing. Also I am not a big fan of headsets so VR might be something I look at way later.

This could very well be true. Trying to explain VR is near-impossible without the person having tried it, so it's hard to persuade gamers to invest that kind of money in something they don't fully understand yet. VR is the future, but I'm scared that it may have come too early.

I'm not sure I understand all the mentions of PSVR. What is it doing differently? Comparisons between it and the Vive, for example, made it sound like an inferior experience. (Plus it doesn't seem to be fixing the actual game issue.) It seems to have a lower barrier of entry, but I'm not seeing any staying power.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
A lot of enthusiast gamers and the community they reside in tend to be VERY conservative and VERY close minded.

Mostly due to an unfounded paranoid view that anything "new" and non-traditional puts their tried and true gaming structures at risk of future support. It's completely irrational.

Then there are the rest that simply want to keep fucking in the same position for the rest of their lives because it works for them. They aren't haters or anything, but just rather not try anything new since things already work for them. This is a much more (if boring) understandable viewpoint.

I think most gamers (as in those not falling into those two categories) are actually very open minded and willing to try anything that's legitimately fun, inexpensive, and gets great support.

df27923b5cef5cc3ba15197ed15d7b53.jpg

7d39fd88cfaaa1303fc6fce1554fa6e2.jpg

PSVR has a couple of major advantages cp. to PC sets:
- A mass market compatble price
- Plug & Play
- No high-end rig required
- Killer-apps

So, it's not only a price issue.

PSVR will be fine for now, on the long run? That remains to be seen.
The first and last point are highly, highly debatable.

400 bucks for the headset plus another 250-400 bucks on top (whatever the slim and neo will end up costing) are definitely not mass market compatible by any standard.

I don't see any "killer apps" anywhere either. A bunch of "experience games", indie games and RE7 that's...like... it.

Top Bottom