• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Ark: Survival Evolved Xbox One Frame-Rate Test

Ushay

It dropped as low as 8 fps, with screen tearing.

It's hard to fathom why Microsoft were promoting Early Access at E3 as a plus point.

Same reason kickstarter exist I guess, to help with the development of the game, and to see if you like it before buying.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
its supposed to run like shit.... its early. What is the point making a spectacle of its performance when its not fully optimised??

Because people who are paying real money, right now, have a right to know what performance they're getting?

Crazy, I know.

flkraven

The PC version looks way better than the Xbox One version too, it's just terrible, hope they'll optimize and work on consoles as much as possible...

AvCnZka.jpg

So 1 ground texture = way better?

Every time I see streams of this on twitch, 90% of PC streamers have their settings way down so the game looks WAY worse than Xbox. For most people, this game will look better on the XB1 than the PC.

This game destroys hardware, so the fact that it runs as it does on the XB1 is a miracle.

Warxard

Banned
Because people who are paying real money, right now, have a right to know what they're getting?

Crazy, I know.

But there's a trial/demo so you don't have to pay money for it blindly. That should give you a proper gauge on what to expect if we're discussing performance.

If you can tolerate the performance, give them your money. If not? Just wait for the full release.

The power of demos!

R3TRODYCE

Whoa that runs like shit and looks like shit. I'm not surprised since I had to drop the res to 1080p just to get 60fps on a 980ti.

Kezen

Banned
So 1 ground texture = way better?
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1159370
Take a deep breath.

Every time I see streams of this on twitch, 90% of PC streamers have their settings way down so the game looks WAY worse than Xbox. For most people, this game will look better on the XB1 than the PC.
Pure assumption and speculation on your part.

This game destroys hardware, so the fact that it runs as it does on the XB1 is a miracle.
It runs about as well on R7 260 grade hardware so no, its performance on xbone is nothing "miraculous", it was expected based on hardware.
http://gamegpu.ru/action-/-fps-/-tps/ark-survival-evolved-test-gpu.html
Keep in mind : the xbone version is not 1080p.

Portugeezer

Really bad at times, 6 months to fix that seems like too little time.

But I think the developers said the games runs at 30 - 45fps, so we'll see.

either way its one of those game that runs like shit but you still play it anyways cause its fun. you dont play it for the technical marvel or the graphics.

6 months might be to little but the devs are constantly improving and adding shit so i dont doubt they will continue after release ( and by constant i mean literally like updates every other day)

jett

D-Member
What a technical mess. These devs have their work cut out for them to get this up to acceptable levels.

Didn't know there was early access stuff on consoles though.

ScribbleD

Glad to see it's getting heavily criticized. If it's far enough along to take your money, criticism of any aspect of it, performance included, is fair game.

Gowans

Are you implying DF is misrepresenting the game's general performance and visuals`?

Not at all, they are showing when it runs like shit, which it does but not all the time. I've been having a blast playing, resolution is too low tho.

Check out the clips in that link.

Xater

What a technical mess. These devs have their work cut out for them to get this up to acceptable levels.

Didn't know there was early access stuff on consoles though.

MS made it a big thing during their E3 conference. Everyone I knew laughed.

jesu

Because people who are paying real money, right now, have a right to know what performance they're getting?

Crazy, I know.

Every Early Access game has an hour long demo on the X1.
They also you encourage you only to buy it if you are comfortable with the games current playable state.

MS made it a big thing during their E3 conference. Everyone I knew laughed.

whats so funny about it? also are you a journalist in the gaming industry? otherwise why would everyone you know laugh? at least console gamers who cant run it on pc can play it. its a fun game even tho it runs like shit

Xater

whats so funny about it? also are you a journalist in the gaming industry? otherwise why would everyone you know laugh? at least console gamers who cant run it on pc can play it. its a fun game even tho it runs like shit

Early Access on consoles seems like a bad idea. This game in particular is known for running like shit even on PCs. So yeah it was incredibly funny.

FZW

Crazy, I know.

all game previews on the xbox have a trial, anybody interested in this game ALREADY knows what they are getting into. Anybody that paid for it dont mine the performance and/or expect it to get better when released.

Nobody is being fooled here, please stop.

Early Access on consoles seems like a bad idea. This game in particular is known for running like shit even on PCs. So yeah it was incredibly funny.

I dont get why its a "bad idea" if the game is playable and fun. console gamers always clamor to play betas and the success of early access on steam shows that gamers want to try games early even if they are unfinished. the game technically isnt sound but the gameplay is.

This really goes to show you that most people don't give a shit about performance. Despite a 1 hour trial period to determine how the game played the game has been shooting up the most played list since it released and now seems to get more daily players on xbox then the likes of Halo 5, Star Wars Battlefront, and Minecraft.

flkraven

Honestly, I'd be fine if the technical aspects of this game remained the same if they just fixed server queues. That is the real thing that needs highlighting.

Akronis

Yeah no excuses. The game has been in that state for over half a a year on PC and no amount of GPU power can brute force it. They piled on plenty of content with little idea of how to implement it properly so all they did was number inflation. They've been claiming optimization was coming since July last year. By now they could have tidied the game up a bit but they'd rather waste lots of man hours making content for week long events that nobody ever ends up happy with.

You nailed it. I bought it on release and the only thing that seems to be "better" now is that there's more shit. No real significant changes to the game.

The thing about Ark is the devs are constantly adding new stuff as if it was dlc like literally every week. Since Ive got this game (which was when Jurassic Park in theaters?) it literally had enough content for a complete survival game. and since then I have seen more stuff added than any MMO. granted its early access but they have added a ton of stuff at a rapid rate. they make rust and dayz devs look lazy as fuck in comparison

Mahonay

Banned
The thing about Ark is the devs are constantly adding new stuff as if it was dlc like literally every week. Since Ive got this game (which was when Jurassic Park in theaters?) it literally had enough content for a complete survival game. and since then I have seen more stuff added than any MMO. granted its early access but they have added a ton of stuff at a rapid rate. they make rust and dayz devs look lazy as fuck in comparison
What? Rust has had numuerous massive updates. It's an entirely different game today than when it was first in people's hands.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
You nailed it. I bought it on release and the only thing that seems to be "better" now is that there's more shit. No real significant changes to the game.

So what sticks in my craw is these guys have been selling this game steadily on PC for a year. Rather then continue optimizing their PC port, they decide to cast a wider net and expand sales onto console to make even more money, releasing another rough version.

Thry should've finished one version before starting another.

What? Rust has had numuerous massive updates. It's an entirely different game today than when it was first in people's hands.

ive owned rust since it came out. number one it took them about a year to get that one massive update out. and even then it took a long time for that to become the main game. I think you misunderstand what i meant as in the frequency of adding stuff as to actually adding stuff.

ark devs constantly rolled out new stuff frequently and consistently unlike rust, thus the lazy as fuck comment

Darkroronoa

This is horrible performance, looks bad and even watching it feels bad, maybe they should not release it on pre-release like that. People pay money for this, right?
I doubt they will improve it much, hopefully they will fix the framerate so it wont go down that low and bump the resolution because it looks like a blurry mess.

But i guess if people like playing like that them maybe they did the right thing...

Akronis

So what sticks in my craw is these guys have been selling this game steadily on PC for a year. Rather then continue optimizing their PC port, they decide to cast a wider net and expand sales onto console to make even more money, releasing another rough version.

Thry should've finished one version before starting another.

It's even worse than that, they've had tournaments with money as the prize for a fucking alpha game.

They probably realize that it's going to take a long time before it's out and they want to get sales before people forget about it.

Mahonay

Banned
ive owned rust since it came out. number one it took them about a year to get that one massive update out. and even then it took a long time for that to become the main game. I think you misunderstand what i meant as in the frequency of adding stuff as to actually adding stuff.

ark devs constantly rolled out new stuff frequently and consistently unlike rust, thus the lazy as fuck comment
Their pipeline for releasing updates is clearly different. This doesn't mean they're "lazy as fuck".

In any case, for sure, with these type of early access survival games other teams could learn from the Ark devs. They've really delivered.

God help them trying to optimize this on Xbox One. Ark definitely does not feel like a game engine intended for these less powerful consoles.

Their pipeline for releasing updates is clearly different. This doesn't mean they're "lazy as fuck".

In any case, for sure, with these type of early access survival games other teams could learn from the Ark devs. They've really delivered.

God help them trying to optimize this on Xbox One. Ark definitely does not feel like a game engine intended for these less powerful consoles.

so obviously i was exaggerating as i said made the rust devs "seem" lazy as fuck. keyword seem. i remember that looooooong drought of updates from the rust developers. it sucked. unlike in ark Ive never experienced a drought and sometimes think "we are getting this already?" on the surface thats what it seems, and thus my comment. and you yourself just agreed

but dont take everything so literally.

Top Bottom