• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF Face-Off: Resident Evil Revelations 2 - Xbox One trumps PS4

It was just a bad port of the game. Not sure why so many have their panties in an uproar because a Xbox One game is out performing a PS4 version of the same game. Obviously, the game is not breaking any graphical new standards or anything like that. When I see a game that IMHO just looks "ok" and I see a drop in frame rate like I seen in those video's, it is obvious it was just a bad port.

I don't see an issue with the title that DF has put on it. It is accurate and proof is in the video that supports that claim. Like someone else posted earlier, some are just in an uproar and are acting like they have to defend their platform. It is just a lousy port...nothing more.

Hopefully they will patch it to get it where it should be.

Exactly.

PS4 gamers have every right to be upset, but the question is is it worth getting upset over? It's not like this is some AAA title that is going to sell millions upon millions of copies, win awards, and be remembered until the end of time.

So, Capcom messed up a port. It's not the first time, and it definitely won't be the last.

This is one of those pick your battles kinds of situations, and I honestly don't think this one is worth fighting.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Exactly.

PS4 gamers have every right to be upset, but the question is is it worth getting upset over? It's not like this is some AAA title that is going to sell millions upon millions of copies, win awards, and be remembered until the end of time.

So, Capcom messed up a port. It's not the first time, and it definitely won't be the last.

This is one of those pick your battles kinds of situations, and I honestly don't think this one is worth fighting.

???

Who cares what the value of the game is to you? I was looking forward to playing this game, but because they botched the port, now i have no intention of getting the game until its fixed.

Why would someone who doesn't want to stand for unacceptable performance keep silent? Especially when XB1 shows that PS4 can run the game fine, like there's nothing there that justifies such horrible FPS drops at all.

???

Who cares what the value of the game is to you? I was looking forward to playing this game, but because they botched the port, now i have no intention of getting the game until its fixed.

Why would someone who doesn't want to stand for unacceptable performance keep silent? Especially when XB1 shows that PS4 can run the game fine, like there's nothing there that justifies such horrible FPS drops at all.

I was under the impression this was a discussion board.

Anyway, you don't have to buy the game and give Capcom your money if you feel that way about it. You could always rent it. Seeing as how this is an episodic title anyway, that route may be more agreeable to you.

If you were looking forward to it and you really want to play it, why voluntarily deny yourself that just because Capcom screwed the pooch?

Sweep14

Oh thank you, now I remember what it is! XD Just I'm not used to call it "AF", in French I say the full name, or "aniso" (hum... xD), but it's probably just me doing that. :D

Well yes, AF needs a lot of ressources but I don't get why the PS4 wouldn't handle this if the Xbox One can. :/ Maybe a patch will be coming, or maybe Capcom did a bad job, I dunno.

No, AF doesn't require a lot of ressources. It requires a correctly established rendering pipeline though

tensuke

Well, what do you expect from Capcpom?

But wait! Here's a simple trick to improve performance if you bought the PS4 version. Since it runs better on Xbone, just plug in your PS4 to the Xbone's HDMI IN port, and plug in your TV to the Xbone's HDMI OUT port. Boom! Now you're running your PS4 copy on the Xbone. Easy performance boost.

watership

As the PS4 has in nearly every other face-off this generation but never have we seen such a hyperbolic title.

Man bites dog. X1 out performing the PS4 is notable because it's not the norm this gen. That's why they called it out. I'm not sure I see the problem.

Yoday

After AC Unity, we have another case of Xbox One version being better just because they messed up PS4 version.

There is no winning on bad optimized games, but a win is a win, right?!
I don't think they messed up the PS4 version specifically when it comes to Unity. The framerate difference was minimal between the two, it just made a larger impact seeing as it was already low. As it is I find the PS4 version to out perform the XB1 version from my own play testing, especially in cinematics. I also think when it comes to Unity that the actual graphical parity has more to do with them simply spending all of their resources on trying to optimize each version as much as possible in the given time that they had rather than spending resources on bumping up one versions resolution.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
The PC version is horribly unoptimized with insane fps drops.
On this topic I have an idea as to what is happening...

The game, by default, uses double buffer v-sync (when enabled). If you're running at 60 fps and the frame-rate dips it will come crashing down to 30 fps and, if it goes below that, you're at 20 fps. You'll need to force triple buffering outside of the game.

My primary PC ran circles around the game at 60 fps without any frame-time anomalies (@1440p). When using 2160p, however, I started to encounter some performance dips and noticed that it would jump from 60 to 30 fps (16.7ms to 33ms).

Same deal on the second PC with a Radeon 7770. I didn't have time to mention this in the article but I did test it on a low power PC and the performance was just dreadful. Depending on where you looked it would jump from 60 fps to 20 fps and lower. It's an under-powered card but it should be noted that the 7770 is capable of running Ryse at a fairly stable 30 fps. It does seem somewhat poorly optimized.

Still, if you have a reasonably strong PC, you shouldn't really be seeing any major issues. Forcing triple buffering should help too.

c0de

Man bites dog. X1 out performing the PS4 is notable because it's not the norm this gen. That's why they called it out. I'm not sure I see the problem.

Disturbance in the force. People spent their money in ps4 this gen also because it would be the default winner in performance due to better hardware.
First error is a game that does not (like this or Unity), second error is wording from df. Could be a sign of insecurity or disappointment.

Hugstable

Banned
I don't see what the big deal is, the framerate only drops in one section, and that section lasts like 5 minutes or so where the framedrops might happen. Outside of that the game is smooth on PS4. It's pretty much just that first section of the forest in Barry's scenario that dropped a bit, and even then it didn't even drop that much.

Putty

I don't think they messed up the PS4 version specifically when it comes to Unity. The framerate difference was minimal between the two, it just made a larger impact seeing as it was already low. As it is I find the PS4 version to out perform the XB1 version from my own play testing, especially in cinematics. I also think when it comes to Unity that the actual graphical parity has more to do with them simply spending all of their resources on trying to optimize each version as much as possible in the given time that they had rather than spending resources on bumping up one versions resolution.

That performance patch for Unity a few month ago brought pretty much both versions in line in terms of fps during the problematic areas.

dark10x

Disturbance in the force. People spent their money in ps4 this gen also because it would be the default winner in performance due to better hardware.
First error is a game that does not (like this or Unity), second error is wording from df. Could be a sign of insecurity or disappointment.
This is actually a big case of disappointment. I had pre-ordered the disc version for PS4 and expected to play it on that system. I was as shocked as anyone else when uncovering the issue.

If the game were capped at 30 fps it would at least feel more consistent but the performance is all over the place in many scenes leaving the game feeling super unpolished.

I'm super interested in seeing the Vita version now. I really hope Sony is able to deliver a nice port but it's worrying.

c0de

This is actually a big case of disappointment. I had pre-ordered the disc version for PS4 and expected to play it on that system. I was as shocked as anyone else when uncovering the issue.

If the game were capped at 30 fps it would at least feel more consistent but the performance is all over the place in many scenes leaving the game feeling super unpolished.

I'm super interested in seeing the Vita version now. I really hope Sony is able to deliver a nice port but it's worrying.

Can we expect an analysis on the vita version? I hope they at least lock it at 30 on vita. Such framerate differences definitely make gameplay worse.
Btw, is Sony doing the port for vita?!

dark10x

People love the Souls games but often forget how modest they are tech-wise. Their console framerates are pretty shit
I don't think that's fair. Dark Souls 2 is a piece of shit on last gen consoles but that's not true of Demon's Souls or Dark Souls. Yes, Blighttown is very sluggish, but the rest of the game runs reasonably well and the visuals on display are quite striking. They are lovely games. Great post-processing effects, large detailed environments, object motion blur, seamless worlds (at least DS), etc.

Revelations 2 is a whole lot less impressive on the whole.

Can we expect an analysis on the vita version? I hope they at least lock it at 30 on vita. Such framerate differences definitely make gameplay worse.
Btw, is Sony doing the port for vita?!
I don't know about the Vita version. I can't capture Vita games, unfortunately. :(

I do believe Sony themselves are handling the port (but I can't say for sure). It's a modest looking game but I think it could appear rather striking on Vita if don't right.

THRILLH0

Banned
Some weird reactions in this thread. Whenever Xbox owners complain about Konami's shitty ports they're laughed off for using the "lazy devs" argument.

In reality it's no different to what's happened here yet we've got all sorts of tantrums and bluster about boycotts.

stryke

I'm not telling anyone to do anything.

You're allowed to disagree with me. There's no penalty for it.

Gladly, because it's that kind of shitty attitude we could use less of.

If you put out a shit performing game, it's a shit performing game. It shouldn't matter if it's AAA, middle tier or indie.

GnawtyDog

Banned
Some weird reactions in this thread. Whenever Xbox owners complain about Konami's shitty ports they're laughed off for using the "lazy devs" argument.

In reality it's no different to what's happened here yet we've got all sorts of tantrums and bluster about boycotts.

Tried to search for the word boycott in this thread and got no results.

Gladly, because it's that kind of shitty attitude we could use less of.

If you put out a shit performing game, it's a shit performing game. It shouldn't matter if it's AAA, middle tier or indie.

You seem like you really want to be upset and vent, so please don't let me stand in your way.

I just ask that you please direct your anger in a more appropriate direction.

stryke

That's because we actually have a pretty good guess as to why their ports are "shitty" and it ain't being "lazy".

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
That's because we actually have a pretty good guess as to why their ports are "shitty" and it ain't being "lazy".

Actually it is, because they could optimize their engine towards Xbox One, too, using similar, but worse work-arounds for the techniques that make the Xbox One struggle.

c0de

Only 2, yours and another one about killing exclusive partnerships.

I was just giving a hint that if people boycott the game on PS4 doesn't necessarily mean they write "boycott" but use other words. Like they did. Requires more effort to search though, you have to actually read posts.

Except that there are known and valid reasons in those cases. But let's not let facts get in the way here.

GnawtyDog

Banned
I was just giving a hint that if people boycott the game on PS4 doesn't necessarily mean they write "boycott" but use other words. Like they did. Requires more effort to search though, you have to actually read posts.

What I found is people taking jabs at Capcom, DF or being sarcastic about the Xbox One/PS4. The cause of the "problem" is pretty much established - poor optimization.

c0de

I don't know about the Vita version. I can't capture Vita games, unfortunately. :(

Wouldn't buying a VitaTV solve this issue?

I do believe Sony themselves are handling the port (but I can't say for sure). It's a modest looking game but I think it could appear rather striking on Vita if don't right.

Let's at least hope someone familiar with the hardware does the port.

GnawtyDog

Banned
Many words... there is a fella on this page saying he's not going to buy it unless they fix it. Stop being a div.

Well, that fellow definitely values how s/he spends his money. That's far from a boycott. That's just being smart imo.

Edit: I only quoted the OP for one reason, I have been following this thread and have yet to see anyone actively try to boycott the game. And boycotting is simple: actively trying to pesuade others to not buy the game. AC Unity had that, not this one. People placing their planed purchases on hold or being disgusted = /= boycott.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Effectively that CPU difference shouldn't amount to much though.

Busier scenes with a few more active AI routines should in theory run a little faster on X1. Identical code running across the two should favor X1 within a few hundred ms at the maximum.

There is a fairly large gulf between the two in GPU performance. Millions of pixels or significant frametime differences. Which is generally the standard for the two so far this generation.

To put it in an entirely stupid way. There's a 6 WiiU difference in capability between GPU's in X1 and PS4. And a two WiiU difference between them in CPU.

When XB1 games run at 900p, and PS4 games run at 1080p, that's a difference in pixels of pretty much a PS360 version of Call of Duty.

FeiRR

Banned
Heh, I have to admit, I actually think Destiny is one of the most beautiful games produced last year. It's not technically stunning but the quality of the design and assets is just remarkable. I also appreciate that it runs 99.99% consistently.

Also, GTA V is one of the most technically accomplished games on last gen consoles. The changes they made to the PS4/XO version are also pretty insane - they overhauled just about everything.

Again, I do believe that The Order was able to look as impressive as it does as a result of its confined scope. I don't believe they could have achieved those visuals in a large, open ended game like GTA V or even Destiny. I'd love to be proven wrong, though.
I agree with all that. Yesterday I played a bit of TO and then switched to GTA and the difference is shocking but still, it's a last gen port which sometimes looks just stunning (open areas, flying at night, reminds me of this). The only thing they couldn't change and it stands out a lot is geometry.

Could TO be open world? I think it could. If you can manage LOD and streaming well, hiding pop-ups from the player's eyes, it might be possible. But, of course, the amount of graphics work would be insane and I don't think any publisher could be able to afford that. And definitely not an open world game with fast flying over the map (CPU limitations mostly, I'd guess). Maybe an Assassin's Creed kind of game could look like TO on PS4. Well, we'll see how UC4 fares.

Schlomo

Still, if you have a reasonably strong PC, you shouldn't really be seeing any major issues. Forcing triple buffering should help too.

What's reasonably strong? My 6950 is the "recommended" spec, but performance is horribly inconsistent. I'll try triple buffering, but the weird half-second freezes when shooting certain enemies don't seem like a double buffered v-sync issue to me. Clearly this port has different issues on certain setups.

dark10x

What's reasonably strong? My 6950 is the "recommended" spec, but performance is horribly inconsistent. I'll try triple buffering, but the weird half-second freezes when shooting certain enemies don't seem like a double buffered v-sync issue to me. Clearly this port has different issues on certain setups.
You're absolutely right. I just wish I had more hardware to test on. It runs great on my rig whixh isn't high-end (i5/gtx780). It does seem to be a lot worse than previous MT Framework releases.

Mabufu

Banned
Let's be honest. PS4 took this port as a bad joke and doesnt even care to use resources to run it. If I was a console I would do that.

UnrealEck

You guys know this could be an inside job, right? Maybe the president doesn't even know of CAPCPOM's dealings with Microsoft.

BouncyFrag

It's the beginning of the end for the PS4. This is where the downward spiral starts. /s
Yup. The PS4, until now, had been having its way with MS ever since launch:
drago-kos-rocky-o.gif

The tides of have finally turned and the PS4 is in big, big trouble:
1432098raj0tpk24r.gif

Jobbs

Banned
Graphically, RER2 is pretty bland and unimpressive, either console should be able to run it fine at 60 fps. There's a specific spot where you get some slowdown on PS4, and I'm sure that's just because it's not optimized properly. The game, despite the fact that I enjoyed it a lot, obviously was made on a relatively low budget. Just accept it for what it is and you'll all be happier.

I can't wait for episode 2. ;)

After playing through both scenarios on XB1, I think Barry's has the most problems. I didn't really notice anything with Claire's but Barry's would stutter every so often after passing through a door or when it would load a new area. Nothing that affected play, but you would definitely see it.

Barry's bigger so he needs more polygons all to himself.

It's been the underdog, and I'm sick of it being talked down about.

hqdefault.jpg

Top Bottom