• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF Face-Off: Resident Evil Revelations 2 - Xbox One trumps PS4

d9b

Banned
Well, this is embarrassing for Capcom. Is there official word about the patch to fix this mess?

On the other side, (obviously) more important for Capcom, is that all the microtransactions are working perfectly fine...

WITHE1982

So has it been confirmed that it was in fact different studios handling the optimization/porting on each platform?

I bought this on PS4 yesterday but will give it a couple of weeks to see if a patch is released. If it is just a case of poor optimization then it should be sorted soon.

Poor, poor job by Capcom. They really need to up their game before RE7 is released.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
So has it been confirmed that it was in fact different studios handling the optimization/porting on each platform?

I bought this on PS4 yesterday but will give it a couple of weeks to see if a patch is released. If it is just a case of poor optimization then it should be sorted soon.

Poor, poor job by Capcom. They really need to up their game before RE7 is released.
Curious to see which engine RE7 uses. You'd think they'd use Panta Rhei for a new mainline RE game unless it wasn't ready to use when development began.

Melchiah

What puzzles me is, that I don't recall something like this ever happening with the 360, that was easier to develop for, just like the PS4 is compared to the XB1.

dark10x

What puzzles me is, that I don't recall something like this ever happening with the 360, that was easier to develop for, just like the PS4 is compared to the XB1.
To this degree? Probably not simply due to the fact that most multiplatform games aimed a bit lower (720p/30 fps).

Bayonetta is an example of a PS3 version falling way below a 360 version (like this) but there aren't even many instances of that. While many PS3 ports were inferior they weren't inferior to this same degree and I don't think it happened with 360 ports either.

The closet thing that comes to mind are games that suffered from screen tearing on 360 but not on PS3. Frostbite games were a bit better on PS3 and Vanquish on 360 suffered from lots of screen tear that PS3 avoided.

FFXIII is probably one of the biggest gaps with the PS3 running at a higher resolution and a more consistent frame-rate (not to mention the bad video quality on 360).

WITHE1982

Curious to see which engine RE7 uses. You'd think they'd use Panta Rhei for a new mainline RE game unless it wasn't ready to use when development began.

Be very interesting to see what Panta Rhei can do outside of Deep Down. I suspect that RE7 may have started development before the engine was finalized though.

on topic: Capcom sux, PS4 sux where's my patch!?

Melchiah

To this degree? Probably not simply due to the fact that most multiplatform games aimed a bit lower (720p/30 fps).

Bayonetta is an example of a PS3 version falling way below a 360 version (like this) but there aren't even many instances of that. While many PS3 ports were inferior they weren't inferior to this same degree and I don't think it happened with 360 ports either.

The closet thing that comes to mind are games that suffered from screen tearing on 360 but not on PS3. Frostbite games were a bit better on PS3 and Vanquish on 360 suffered from lots of screen tear that PS3 avoided.

FFXIII is probably one of the biggest gaps with the PS3 running at a higher resolution and a more consistent frame-rate (not to mention the bad video quality on 360).

FF13 had a pretty big discrepancy between the versions.

Wasn't the biggest difference with FFXIII the quality of FMVs?

There were a plenty of worse PS3 versions, but I don't think there was a single 360 version which was this much behind the PS3 one.

dark10x

Wasn't the biggest difference with FFXIII the quality of FMVs?

There were a plenty of worse PS3 versions, but I don't think there was a single 360 version which was this much behind the PS3 one.
FFXIII was 576p on 360 with a much less consistent frame-rate while it was 720p on PS3 with better performance all around.

Ushay

Surprising to be honest, was NOT expecting results like these. I guess we can attribute these results to some or all of the following;

- MS SDK has improved by magnitudes and developers are getting to grips with it much better
- Development wasn't allocated efficiently for Sony's system
- We simply do not understand the efficiency or potential of MS system yet (same can be said about PS4 really)

Either way it's good news for those that have an X1. Things are looking good this year.

At the end of the day, this stuff happens all the time, certain games will perform better on different platforms for various reasons, it happened a lot last gen. No need to worry Sony owners I'd say.

Ushay

I won't be buying this until I know if week two and three are at least as good so ill see if capcom patches the ps4 version during the release schedule.

I have no problem getting it on Xbox, I own all consoles so I have no salty tears. Makes me wonder if dragons dogma will be a mess though. I think that runs on the same engine.

Wait, is Dragons Dogma getting another game??

KageMaru

Happy I held off on getting this. Capcom really needs to patch up the PS4 version, there's no reason it should be performing like this.

Majanew

Banned
Surprising to be honest, was NOT expecting results like these. I guess we can attribute these results to some or all of the following;

- MS SDK has improved by magnitudes and developers are getting to grips with it much better
- We simply do not understand the efficiency or potential of MS system yet (same can be said about PS4 really)

These two can already be ruled out. It doesn't matter how much the XDK improves, it can't improve the specs above what they are. XB1's 1.31 TFLOPS GPU with 768 Shaders and 16 ROPs isn't going to turn into a 1.84 TFLOPS GPU with 1152 Shaders and 32 ROPs.

The "potential" of the Xbox One isn't a mystery. It's similar AMD architecture as PS4, just with slower RAM, a significantly weaker GPU, and a slightly better CPU thanks to a higher clock and half of a 7th core.

dark10x

I revisited several of the RE games from last gen just today for comparison.

Resident Evil 5 holds up incredibly well, I think. The backgrounds are beautifully designed, even if they're showing their age, and feel nuanced and complex. The first major area where you do battle features so many things to climb on and inside of. There's nothing even remotely close to that in Revelations 1 or 2.

That's kind of the major difference here - Revelations takes place almost entirely on boring, flat terrain. Even when it has elevation there's nothing tactically interesting about it. The level design in Revelations 2 is just a bunch of hallways, basically, even outdoors. RE5 immediately starts throwing big, complex areas to fight through.

RE6 does the same, actually, with even larger areas and lots of tactical options. It's a more difficult game to play, of course, but I quite like it. It also looks much better than Revelations 1 or 2. It lacks the motion blur of RE5 but the lighting and environment design are excellent and varied.

Revelations 2 really DOES feel like it was designed primarily as a handheld title. The combat is so simplistic, the level design is boring, and the visuals very plain. I know those other games were much higher budget productions but the dull level design in Revelations 2 is really disappointing.

Don't know what you mean.
Seems like Microsoft finally unlocked the hidden GPU in he Xbox One's external power-supply. And as you can see, the gap has been closed. The Xbox One is now superior.
Penello was right all along. Guess who's laughing now?

Well that would explain why they made the power supply external no?

Like obviously having 2 GPUs in the case would cause the heat envelope to skyrocket.

That's why you can hear the wee fans in the External PSU going crazy on the Xbox One now more than usual, the external GPU needs cooling.

EvB

This is kind of interesting, in every other situation the simple remedy to alleive such things is to drop the resolution to 900p.

Why choose not to in this situation?

CozMick

Banned
This is kind of interesting, in every other situation the simple remedy to alleive such things is to drop the resolution to 900p.

900p? this shit needs to drop to 720p just to reach 60 frames.

MilkyJoe

So 1080p on Xbox and 900 on PS4?

GAF be like...

nuclear-bomb-o.gif

I revisited several of the RE games from last gen just today for comparison.

Resident Evil 5 holds up incredibly well, I think. The backgrounds are beautifully designed, even if they're showing their age, and feel nuanced and complex. The first major area where you do battle features so many things to climb on and inside of. There's nothing even remotely close to that in Revelations 1 or 2.

That's kind of the major difference here - Revelations takes place almost entirely on boring, flat terrain. Even when it has elevation there's nothing tactically interesting about it. The level design in Revelations 2 is just a bunch of hallways, basically, even outdoors. RE5 immediately starts throwing big, complex areas to fight through.

RE6 does the same, actually, with even larger areas and lots of tactical options. It's a more difficult game to play, of course, but I quite like it. It also looks much better than Revelations 1 or 2. It lacks the motion blur of RE5 but the lighting and environment design are excellent and varied.

Revelations 2 really DOES feel like it was designed primarily as a handheld title. The combat is so simplistic, the level design is boring, and the visuals very plain. I know those other games were much higher budget productions but the dull level design in Revelations 2 is really disappointing.

So ultimately, when comparing it to last gen efforts ala RE5, RE6, revelations should actually be running on PS2? :p

Seriously though, when comparing it to those other games, with how complex they are, surely for both consoles Revelations should be a 1080p 60FPS lock on for both consoles no?

Because in other situations, presumably the Xbox was running maxed out to try and hit that 1080p and it was causing frame rate drops so the only way to give a near 60/30 fps lock was to drop the frame rate.

In this scenario, neither console is running maxed, so neither console needs to sacrifice anything to hit 1080p and 60fps.

It's basically just an extremly poorly coded game across PC/Xbox and PS4 which is causing the problems.

Fury451

Banned

Because it's not an issue of the hardware being unable to run it, so that remedy wouldn't make sense. It's an issue of bad optimization, which needs a permanent fix.

Huh. Thats weird.

Wonder what happened with the Ps4 version. A bug that popped up last minute thats waiting to be patched or was it just a sloppy port. The extra few MHz on the XBO CPU dont really explain whats going on.

Or maybe decent AF really is a achilles heel of the PS4. Look for Major Nelson and Greenberg to start talking about how important great texture filtering is at E3!

dark10x

So ultimately, when comparing it to last gen efforts ala RE5, RE6, revelations should actually be running on PS2? :p

Seriously though, when comparing it to those other games, with how complex they are, surely for both consoles Revelations should be a 1080p 60FPS lock on for both consoles no?
You would think so but Revelations 2 appears to be poorly optimized. The PC version of Rev 2 is much more demanding that RE5 or 6. I can easily run RE5 at 2880p at 60 fps on a 780 while RE6 is totally smooth at 2160p. Revelations 2, though? Nope. 4k resolution is right out as the frame-rate becomes unsteady. At 1440p it's perfectly fine, though.

So, despite super simplified level design and visuals, the game simply requires beefier hardware.

thelastword

Banned
Selling my PS4. Can't believe they fucked up with this GOTY. /sarcasm
I know it's sarcasm and all, but this will be patched, there's just no way this is not patched with 3 more episodes coming in shortly.

In any case, I still see drops on the xbone version which is a travesty. This looks like a game that should be running at 90fps locked on the PS4, whatever they did to this port takes special skill indeed. If you can make superior hardware perform 30fps worse then that's a special type of genius.

Mostly all of Capcom's games have performed worse on Sony's hardware in recent times. SF4, SSF4, SSF4AE, USF4, MVC3, UMVC3, Dragons Dogma, LP1, LP2, LP3, RE5 and the list goes on. RE4-HD and REMAKE were all disappointing ports from a technical and performance perspective. At this point, I'd rather Ninja Theory do the remake of DMC4 Special Edition than Capcom proper, they're just not the same as they used to be. USF4 is still a mess on the PC, maybe they're understaffed, who knows, but this is just subpar work all round.

dark10x said:
Same deal on the second PC with a Radeon 7770. I didn't have time to mention this in the article but I did test it on a low power PC and the performance was just dreadful. Depending on where you looked it would jump from 60 fps to 20 fps and lower. It's an under-powered card but it should be noted that the 7770 is capable of running Ryse at a fairly stable 30 fps. It does seem somewhat poorly optimized.

Hey there, that underpowered card is pretty much like for like as to what's in the trumping power of the XBONE. Of course, so many arguments can be derived from that bit you wrote right there.

I'm pretty sure that you coupled this card with a much better cpu than what's in the xbone, so some of the earlier talk that this game may not be gpu bound as Durante suggested is quite silly to be honest. For anyone to even infer that this game is cpu bound no matter how subtle is also laughable in the circumstances . Let's not forget that the pc version is using the Direct-X api just like the xbone, so talk of xbone performing better simply due to the api is shot down as well.

So where do we go from here, there are arguments that a closed architecture like that of the xbone gives you about twice the performance of similar hardware in a PC. Is that what we're seeing here? Like Carmack and others have indicated.

Is it that the XBONE version just got all the attention? Rather, is it just that, perhaps there's a major bug in the PS4 code? I don't buy that the PS4 api is so different to that of the xbone that a non complex game like this should have a 30fps deficit on account of it. There are too many cases of devs transferring much more complex code from much more convoluted hardware designs to the PS4 in quick order and with great performance.

The PS4 and XBONE have a very similar architecture minus the edram, the cpu and gpu are of a similar type, so heavy issues in code porting is indeed a myth and a bad theory. If anything, the PS4 should have an edge when unoptimized code is dumped on both it and the xbone, on account of it's more powerful GPU as well as it's faster and better memory.

dark10x

Is it that the XBONE version just got all the attention?
We simply don't know. It's not clear which teams within Capcom worked on each port. Clearly the team working on Xbox One was able to produce better results for some reason.

Regardless, the work done on the PS4 version is inexcusable.

I don't think there is anything else to infer from this situation other than error on the part of Capcom.

Mostly all of Capcom's games have performed worse on Sony's hardware in recent times. SF4, SSF4, SSF4AE, USF4, MVC3, UMVC3, Dragons Dogma, LP1, LP2, LP3, RE5 and the list goes on.
Street Fighter 4 wasn't bad on PS4 nor was MvC3. DMC4 was also fantastic on PS3. That's where I bought all of those versions.

MT Framework was designed for 360 originally, however, that much has been confirmed. MT Framework 2.0 was supposed to be better suited for multiple platforms but that didn't happen either and it runs poorly on both consoles.

Lost Planet 3 uses Unreal Engine 3, though, which never ran as well on PS3.

thelastword

Banned
We simply don't know. It's not clear which teams within Capcom worked on each port. Clearly the team working on Xbox One was able to produce better results for some reason.
You guys should start contacting the devs for answers, perhaps that would give them a little jolt so that they address this pronto. I'm not even sure that this has gotten much of any bad press, this is a botch job worse than ACU, relative to the hardware where it's worse.

dark10x said:
Street Fighter 4 wasn't bad on PS4 nor was MvC3. DMC4 was also fantastic on PS3. That's where I bought all of those versions.

MT Framework was designed for 360 originally, however, that much has been confirmed. MT Framework 2.0 was supposed to be better suited for multiple platforms but that didn't happen either and it runs poorly on both consoles.

Lost Planet 3 uses Unreal Engine 3, though, which never ran as well on PS3.
SF4 was lower resolution during cutscenes in the original version, it was only changed till recently in USF4 (if memory serves me correctly), there's worse textures in background stages, worse texture filtering and no AA on the PS3 version. There's also the little thing called input lag in the PS3 version across all SF4 releases.

MVC3 has slowdown on many stages and when things get chaotic, there's also the same input lag issue. Funny enough the vita version of UMVC3 is excellent, too bad they never ported sf4. As for the Lost planet games, I think they look so much crisper, textures look better and AA was better on the 360 versions, framerate was better, the 360 versions were clearly superior. I do understand the UE3 troubles but there were diamonds in the rough, 50 cent blood on the sand was a pretty good UE3 port.

You guys should start contacting the devs for answers, perhaps that would give them a little jolt so that they address this pronto. I'm not even sure that this has gotten much of any bad press, this is a botch job worse than ACU, relative to the hardware where it's worse.

This isn't going to get half the bad press that ACU did. It's just not that major of a title.

Now, if this were Resident Evil 7 and it was in this state, then I could see it getting a whole lot more attention.

EvB

Because it's not an issue of the hardware being unable to run it, so that remedy wouldn't make sense. It's an issue of bad optimization, which needs a permanent fix.

Optimisation also extends to reducing the resolution if required in a given situation.
I'm not saying that it's not poorly optimised, as the PS4 as we all know it is the more powerful machine.

but in this situation why have they let this happen, are they not allowed to reduce the resolution lower than the competitor?

Haunted

Given how the game looks and what it actually displays on screen at any one time, it comes as a surprise to me that the versions show any difference whatsoever. Both machines should easily be capable enough. Fuck, WiiU probably would be. It's really not a looker.

This garbage-looking game should be running at a locked 60fps on both platforms.
jett taking no prisoners as usual. :D

stryke

Optimisation also extends to reducing the resolution if required in a given situation.
I'm not saying that it's not poorly optimised, as the PS4 as we all know it is the more powerful machine.

but in this situation why have they let this happen, are they not allowed to reduce the resolution lower than the competitor?

Lowering the resolution doesn't solve every problem.

Biker19

Banned
These two can already be ruled out. It doesn't matter how much the XDK improves, it can't improve the specs above what they are. XB1's 1.31 TFLOPS GPU with 768 Shaders and 16 ROPs isn't going to turn into a 1.84 TFLOPS GPU with 1152 Shaders and 32 ROPs.

The "potential" of the Xbox One isn't a mystery. It's similar AMD architecture as PS4, just with slower RAM, a significantly weaker GPU, and a slightly better CPU thanks to a higher clock and half of a 7th core.

Exactly. Can't believe that a lot of people still think that many optimizations on Xbox One will be equal to PS4 in terms of power.

Microsoft's PR marketing must be doing a terrific job fooling everybody, just like Sega with their "Blast Processing" shit back in the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive & Super Nintendo/Super Famicon days.

You mean on PS3.
Yes it is bad - 2 frames more input lag than the 360-version and longer loadtimes. Absolutely the worst version.

SF4 was lower resolution during cutscenes in the original version, it was only changed till recently in USF4 (if memory serves me correctly), there's worse textures in background stages, worse texture filtering and no AA on the PS3 version. There's also the little thing called input lag in the PS3 version across all SF4 releases.

MVC3 has slowdown on many stages and when things get chaotic, there's also the same input lag issue. Funny enough the vita version of UMVC3 is excellent, too bad they never ported sf4.

I'm hoping that the problems that occurred on the PS3 versions of SF IV games that you two have mentioned won't be happening in the upcoming PS4 version of USF IV, especially when Sony are the ones who are handling it.

Yoday

- Development wasn't allocated efficiently for Sony's system

Either way it's good news for those that have an X1. Things are looking good this year.

At the end of the day, this stuff happens all the time, certain games will perform better on different platforms for various reasons, it happened a lot last gen. No need to worry Sony owners I'd say.
How in the hell is a horrible PS4 port good news for XB1 owners? The game clearly wasn't optimized much at all on any platform, especially so on the PS4. How is that good for anyone? Console Warz bullshit.

Exactly. Can't believe that a lot of people still think that many optimizations on Xbox One will be equal to PS4 in terms of power.

Microsoft's PR marketing must be doing a terrific job fooling everybody, just like Sega with their "Blast Processing" shit back in the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive & Super Nintendo/Super Famicon days.

I don't think anyone really believes this anymore as there's been plenty of evidence to the contrary for the past year. Sounds to me like you're making up a scenario that doesn't exist.

What DX12 will do is give devs better access to the raw power of the hardware in the console so they can squeeze every last drop out of it.

It's more than obvious that it won't make the console any stronger.

thelastword

Banned
It seems every time one of these botch jobs surface, as rare as they do, you have persons coming out of the woodwork trying to suggest that the power of the two consoles are a wash or not too far apart. I don't know if this is fantasy land, but this could not be further from the truth.

There is nothing in the xbone that will give it a superior game on a technical level, the 150mhz upclock is too insignificant to have any type of impact on any game whatsoever. If the xbone had a stronger class cpu over the PS4, then arguments as to the type of game being made could be a factor, even then, graphically the PS4 game would still be superior. As it stands though, botch jobs and unexplained development practices is an actual factor, but please don't miss the forest for the trees.

Biker said:
I'm hoping that the problems that occurred on the PS3 versions of SF IV games that you two have mentioned won't be happening in the upcoming PS4 version of USF IV, especially when Sony are the ones who are handling it.
You don't have to worry about that, the PS4 version should be the best version of USF4 when it launches, it's also the official version being used at EVO this year. Sony is not going to make Capcom lay waste to their investment.

dark10x

MVC3 has slowdown on many stages and when things get chaotic, there's also the same input lag issue. Funny enough the vita version of UMVC3 is excellent, too bad they never ported sf4. As for the Lost planet games, I think they look so much crisper, textures look better and AA was better on the 360 versions, framerate was better, the 360 versions were clearly superior. I do understand the UE3 troubles but there were diamonds in the rough, 50 cent blood on the sand was a pretty good UE3 port.
I actually had forgotten about the extra frames of lag. That does make it useless for tournament play. Aside from that I really think it's still a solid version. The important thing is that it ran at 60 fps and still looked great. The 360 version may have been a better but it didn't feel like a lazy release on PS3. If not for the lag I would say it's a fantastic port. We know damn well that PS3 was a more difficult platform to work on (unlike PS4). Compared to your average PS3 port it was pretty great.

The thing about UE3 is that, even with good UE3 ports, the results were never actually BETTER than 360. At best they were quite comparable but 360 usually had a small advantage. Also, LP3 was made by a C-tier developer that I wouldn't expect to be able to deliver a solid port.

So far, though, the situation is completely reversed between XO and PS4. Revelations 2 is a weird anomaly.

Vroadstar

No need to worry Sony owners I'd say.

I don't understand why is it good news? and why would Sony owners even worry when there is good news on the X1 front?

Top Bottom