• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Is Uncharted 4 the generational leap we were hoping for?

From what I've seen, The Order looks more impressive than Uncharted 4. But the king of graphics on playstation will be God of War like always. Can't wait for all 3 games though.

LiK

They need to work on the hands gripping the rocks more. You can still see when he's not totally aligned with them. I hate to be picky but it's something I notice and probably hard to solve.

Hubble

Yeah because the final game will look exactly like the pre-alpha build a year from now *smh*

Compared to the expectations ND set at e3, this doesn't meet it by a long shot. I'm sure it will be improved by release but judging by what we see now.

The video is a little dark is my only complaint. I think if it was popping with colors reactions would be different. This game looks fantastic and they'll only look better a few years from now. I bet it's going to have some of those "wow" moments that we haven't really seen much of yet this gen.

edit watch this video Amir0x posted and set it to 1440p and tell me that shit doesn't look good.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Graphically it looks wholly similar to other nextgen games in terms of techniques used and overall quality. I am not sure why it is a generational leap that is hoped for, you can already see the graphically generational leap in other games.

I really dislike the inordinate level of hyping that comes to some games and not others that use similar graphical tech...
I think it stems from their past achievements combined with that E3 teaser and the 60 fps target frame-rate. They built the hype themselves so expectations were high.

Kinyou

"Pre-Alpha Version"

Imagine the final version now.

This is what AC: Unity beta version looked on the Xbox One.
But that's the beta version that leaked.

The AC version they deemed ready for the public and showed at E3 looked much, much better.

You should rather look at the Last of us demo from 2012 and compare it with the final game from 2013

There will definitely be some improvements (especially stuff like clipping), but I'd be surprised if this isn't already somewhat close to the final look of the game.

hah, to be specific in the first few mins of the video,

Mentioning adaptive tesselation, mentioning tesselation in the waves from the ocean, mentioning POM (even though it is only obvious in one location), mentioning tesselation of rocks, etc...

Those things are not apparently evident/ lack the tell tale signs or information to deduce that they are there. Also, the idea that so much tesselation could be in use on a GCN hardware seems kind of... unrealistic.
I think it stems from their past achievements combined with that E3 teaser and the 60 fps target frame-rate. They built the hype themselves so expectations were high.

I still am not sure why they hyped up 60fps only to demo this game at 30. Were they trying to hype up the TLOU 60fps at the time?

Sometimes you gotta sit back and laugh at the gaming community.

They show a teaser so gamers demand to see the graphics, then they make a 'vertical slice' of a clearly unfinished game that is probably 10-12 months away and gamers go 'omg the graphics suck'.

They can't win either way.

I took more away from the demo than just the graphics, changes in gameplay, platforming looks more freeform with less blindingly obvious handholding, levels are less linear with multiple paths, animation fidelity, everything was physics dolan.jpg etc..

madmackem

I thought it looked fucking amazing, dat wording on df man and some people wonder why others call them out about bias.

How many games have we seen shown off that are coming in late 2015? Barely any. Uncharted 4 keeps getting compared to games coming out in a few months like the Order, but those are basically done improving in graphics department at this point. Uncharted has about a whole year to improve, so I don't know why people keep comparing it to early 2015 games saying it is not as impressive as they think. I would be shocked if major tech improvements don't happen for this game over the next year.

nelchaar

The gameplay looked fantastic. The animations, foliage, details.. Just wow. The order has U4 beat in terms of graphics, but it's still pre alpha. Let's not forget naughty dog are magicians.

Salz01

Personally I'd rather have it at 30fps, with all the graphic, AI, and gameplay turned up to over drive. If they have to cut stuff just to get it to 60fps, I'll be irked. Because what they showed looked pretty damn smooth at 30fps, 1080p. To get it to 60 just to please a small nitch of players is lame. I bet the general public outside gaf would be fine with 30fps.

Hurley

I still am not sure why they hyped up 60fps only to demo this game at 30. Were they trying to hype up the TLOU 60fps at the time?

According to scott rohde on a interview during PSX he said when he saw Uncharted a few weeks back it looked much rougher then what we saw on the stream, perhaps ND just wanted to get a better looking version of the build up and running for the show and just decided to get the frame rate as stable as possible for it and not worry about hitting 60 at the time.

People would have to be crazy to expect the game to look like that with a year to go .
In fact the game having such a good frame rate this far from release is very rare .

shpankey

not an idiot
In short, no. Not the leap I was anticipating. I feel by the time it releases it will be much better though, but not even close to being wow'ed. The Order looks significantly better to me (though unfair comparison as it is, it's the new bar as far as I'm concerned). The gameplay I know will be aces in U4 though, so no matter what, I can't wait for it.

DC R1D3R

Banned
If they get it to 60 then yes, if 30 then it's just a marginal step improvement.

in my honest humble opinion, if ND can't get it to 60fps, then they aren't improving as a developer.

if they can.....this game will literally break minds!

/i say we pray

reKon

Banned
Personally I'd rather have it at 30fps, with all the graphic, AI, and gameplay turned up to over drive. If they have to cut stuff just to get it to 60fps, I'll be irked. Because what they showed looked pretty damn smooth at 30fps, 1080p. To get it to 60 just to please a small nitch of players is lame. I bet the general public outside gaf would be fine with 30fps.

I think I actually agree here...

Great AI, animations, and a lot more particles effects would make me happy.

in my honest humble opinion, if ND can't get it to 60fps, then they aren't improving as a developer.

if they can.....this game will literally break minds!

/i say we pray

That's a pretty shitty opinion, but OK.

martino

DF nailed it for me (i'm agree with them)
Very good but less than e3 trailer but what shown of gameplay is a bigger good surprise

BumRush

Agree. That was my initial impressions. The game doesn't look as good as I thought it was going to be for a generational leap, it looks just OK to me, nothing special. Kind of disappointed to be honest.

Dude, the game probably has 12 months or so until release.

I've never seen people get so defencive over a DF before

In what way specifically? Being irritated by the analysis of a demo or just defending Uncharted? Because if it's the former, that happens in every demo/beta/alpha analysis thread. If it's latter, well yea, ND's got some passionate fans.

There's some disparity already between the tech Naughty Dog was pimping in their "Bringing Nathan Drake to PS4" panel and what was shown. So I'm betting the game is going to look a lot different as it comes toward release.

Not that anyone should stop complaining about it now. It's a far ways off from the teaser, just as I always said it would be. But I also don't think we're close to indicative of where we'll be. Interview said the game looked extremely differently only 2 or 3 weeks ago, and they probably tried to get this demo running at as solid a framerate as possible, prioritizing that over putting all the effects they're going to have in place up.

Yeah i know. If it would look like this i would be fine with it. If they change it a bit but keep the level of detail and image quality, fine with me too.

What i don't hope, is that the image quality will take a dive.
What i wouldn't mind is if the quality of what was shown even improves.

The teaser probably was also inengine and i'm pretty sure they can reach that in realtime cutscenes. I doubt it will look THAT detailed while interactive.

I have to laugh at people who respond to criticisms of the Gameplay reveal with statements and comments like "It's pre-alpha!" or "The final game will look better, this is really early footage!"

If the game is THAT early in it's development, won't be out for the best part of another year, and won't represent the final quality of the game - then don't show it. It's like movie trailers that are released over a year prior to release. Why bother? That said, I've no doubt the final game will look considerably better and address any concern that people may currently have.

Personally, I thought the reveal looked good anyway. It looks like Uncharted (surprisingly enough)

Nibel

Still, as beautiful as the game's foliage is, the rock formations do leave a bit to be desired at this point. While texture work is impressive, we note many hard geometric edges visible across the world, reminiscent of Naughty Dog's work on the original Uncharted. We suspect that this is a compromise between aesthetics and gameplay - the developers need some way of highlighting traversable areas, otherwise the player could get lost. The trade-off is that these edges look almost artificially enhanced, literally standing out in a way that doesn't feel realistic. It's not helped by the fact that so many of these areas appear to lack proper occlusion properties, with bits and pieces fitting together without any sort of contact shadow.

Yup, that's what I meant when I wrote my opinion in the UC4 thread, and I can also agree with their verdict.

People who get defensive about this: keep in mind they are talking about this specific piece of media, an early gameplay demo of a game that from the looks of it will be in the oven at least until the second half of 2015.

I wonder why so many people think the graphics of a game is getting better near release, when nearly all games got huge downgrades between first gameplay clips and final game in the last few years.

I think Uncharted 4 does look good, but its clearly no big leap. Theres nothing that makes me go wow about it. Maybe Ryse set the bar too high for consoles, even through using kinda small areas

vpance

After watching the direct feed a few times I'd say it's definitely a generational leap. It's just that it doesn't come across as obviously as it should with the art style, since all the textures have been drawn.

martino

Yup, that's what I meant when I wrote my opinion in the UC4 thread, and I can also agree with their verdict.

People who get defensive about this: keep in mind they are talking about this specific piece of media, an early gameplay demo of a game that from the looks of it will be in the oven at least until the second half of 2015.

But in the end i can deal with that if it make it a better video game...
Because it is what it must be first.

twdnewh_k

I said the same in the other thread and was viciously attacked by those who disagree. It was revealed too early.

FLAguy954

Graphically it looks wholly similar to other nextgen games in terms of techniques used and overall quality. I am not sure why it is a generational leap that is hoped for, you can already see the graphically generational leap in other games.

I really dislike the inordinate level of hyping that comes to some games and not others that use similar graphical tech...

This. Uncharted 4 isn't the only game using advanced graphical effects and the effect that ND does deploy isn't automatically the best implementation. Uncharted 4 looks great but it isn't the only amazing-looking game out there.

reKon

Banned
I said the same in the other thread and was viciously attacked by those who disagree. It was revealed too early.

It wasn't revealed too early. Everything in that demo made it seem like it was ready for retail and it looked more fun to play than any other Uncharted. What they showed was the standard gameplay.

Danlord

By the way, if anyone wants to see a truly amazing dissection of the demo in both gameplay and tech watch this video.

He catches all sorts of shit I missed the first time, really gives you an appreciation of what Naughty Dog is already accomplishing. It's infinitely more useful than this Digital Foundry article, but your mileage may vary.

And he brings up some great points about the framerate as well.

I'm really impressed with this video you posted here, thanks.

I am impressed with Uncharted 4 and a stupid comment in the UC4 thread aside (was trying to be funny, realised 18 pages in the thread prior was being ridiculous and as such, Poe's Law) I am happy with what I've seen so far with Uncharted 4 gameplay. They have gone beyond just making incredible visuals for the sake of it, the amount of small animations on the characters themselves, the combat, but my favourite is definitely the foliage. I love foliage work when done densely, and I've hoped that the 8th Generation brings us dense environments and so far I'm definitely happy with some (upcoming) games, (WilD, The Forest, Uncharted 4, The Witcher 3 maybe, RIME, No Man's Sky).

The only slight issue I had with the current Uncharted 4 showing is that it was 30fps, or more specifically that if the final game is 30. I understand they're showing off an in-development segment at a pre-alpha stage and want to have a stable showing and not drop frames everywhere then locking it to 30 when it could possibly be hitting 50fps for example makes sense. I'm just hoping that they will keep the original target of 60.

MisterR

I wonder why so many people think the graphics of a game is getting better near release, when nearly all games got huge downgrades between first gameplay clips and final game in the last few years.

I think Uncharted 4 does look good, but its clearly no big leap. Theres nothing that makes me go wow about it. Maybe Ryse set the bar too high for consoles, even through using kinda small areas

Because that's how it generally works. What you are talking about is showing games on high end PCs and then the downgrade happens going to less powerful systems. This is a game a year out shown on PS4, it will look much better in a year.

Amir0x

Banned
I'm really impressed with this video you posted here, thanks.

I am impressed with Uncharted 4 and a stupid comment in the UC4 thread aside (was trying to be funny, realised 18 pages in the thread prior was being ridiculous and as such, Poe's Law) I am happy with what I've seen so far with Uncharted 4 gameplay. They have gone beyond just making incredible visuals for the sake of it, the amount of small animations on the characters themselves, the combat, but my favourite is definitely the foliage. I love foliage work when done densely, and I've hoped that the 8th Generation brings us dense environments and so far I'm definitely happy with some (upcoming) games, (WilD, The Forest, Uncharted 4, The Witcher 3 maybe, RIME, No Man's Sky).

The only slight issue I had with the current Uncharted 4 showing is that it was 30fps, or more specifically that if the final game is 30. I understand they're showing off an in-development segment at a pre-alpha stage and want to have a stable showing and not drop frames everywhere then locking it to 30 when it could possibly be hitting 50fps for example makes sense. I'm just hoping that they will keep the original target of 60.

If people really want visuals consistently close to the teaser, they really should drop the 60fps dream now I think though

Top Bottom