• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Is Uncharted 4 the generational leap we were hoping for?

While his facial structure appears comparable, the quality of his hair is reduced significantly while lighting and shading lack the sense of realism presented in the teaser, and the detail of his bandolier and shirt also seems pared back.
I knew the hair in the e3 trailer was utter bs, much less at 60fps. I remember ND saying that their goal was to surpass the e3 trailer and i just don't see that happening. That said the game currently looks amazing and there's no denying that, but not as jaw-dropping as the e3 trailer everybody talked about for months.
iKAGIZtc3IKCW.png

iHwFIaDYBJzeh.png

ibn6VEHFPwpj7K.png

irEeDoT8U6iPE.png

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
SP 30fps MP 60fps

I could live with that

I mean for pre-alpha it already looks stunning in motion. Just imagine what ND can do with another year of development

Imagine what games we will get from them in 4-5 years or at the end of this generation.

I loved how his shirt moved in the wind over his body..

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
At this point, I'd just like an answer from ND if they're still going for 60fps with the final game or not. If they are, this is an incredible standard for 60fps visuals. If not, they should through some high quality object motion blur in there.

Yeah, that's really the most interesting question here. The fact that such an early demo is already (as near as-makes no difference) locked at 30fps leaves room for hope. On the other hand, the fact that they rather proudly said that the game is at a "stable 30hz" is a bit suspicious.

Trying to judge generational leaps based on an unfinished, unreleased game? Christ people really get turned in knots over dumb things

I'll make my judgement call on how good the game looks when it is released.

Cyborg

I knew the hair in the e3 trailer was utter bs, much less at 60fps. I remember ND saying that their goal was to surpass the e3 trailer and i just don't see that happening. That said the game currently looks amazing and there's no denying that, but not as jaw-dropping as the e3 trailer everybody talked about for months.
iKAGIZtc3IKCW.png

iHwFIaDYBJzeh.png

ibn6VEHFPwpj7K.png

irEeDoT8U6iPE.png

We should not forget that the game has a lot of time over for development! One more year.

which details is he wrong about? genuinely curious.

For instance, the global illumination he keeps harking about, its not there. There's no real time GI. Another one being that there's no difference between cinematic model and real time, you can see the change happen.

I also think he's wrong on the neck moving anatomically correct, I think its good deformation, but I don't think its actually moving the way muscles would under skin, but I need to get a copy I can frame by frame through.

He's specially wrong on a lot of the lighting claims he's making, it just isn't there and he's just throwing terms around.

He's just very enthusiastic about the game, which is great, but he's jumping to details that aren't there and really over selling things.

I'm not trying to say the game doesn't look good or anything but that video is bad, the guy is either overly enthusiastic or doesn't fully know what he's talking about. Either way its going to lead to misinformation being out there, and people claiming Uncharted 4 does real time GI, or silly things like that.

twdnewh_k

It wasn't revealed too early. Everything in that demo made it seem like it was ready for retail and it looked more fun to play than any other Uncharted. What they showed was the standard gameplay.

I was not referring to game play.

foxbeldin

Trying to judge generational leaps based on an unfinished, unreleased game? Christ people really get turned in knots over dumb things

I'll make my judgement call on how good the game looks when it is released.

I don't care if it's unfinished, the leap is already there for me. It can only get better.

Nestunt

It definitely showcased a fresh take on the typical Uncharted combat scenario. Very welcome.

this

my only concern is how they will balance the michaelbayesque typical scenes of uncharted and the more slow paced moments in wider corridors ala TLOU

I'd say the lighting differences are because of different lighting, not because of a different quality of the lighting.
I hope they'll improve the hair though.
NaughtyDog said the E3 teaser was running on real time on a Ps4, so its possible with enough optimisation.
I hope they have the time to get the whole game on that level at 60FPS.

omonimo

Banned
iKAGIZtc3IKCW.png

iHwFIaDYBJzeh.png

ibn6VEHFPwpj7K.png

irEeDoT8U6iPE.png
To be honest the only worst part it's the 30 fps. The rest seems quite in line with the e3 video. Of course zoom to the details it's quite different to see those in the long distance. People should play TLoU to understand what I mean. Joel not seem that good how is it in the camera capture.

Majanew

Banned
For instance, the global illumination he keeps harking about, its not there. There's no real time GI. Another one being that there's no difference between cinematic model and real time, you can see the change happen.

I also think he's wrong on the neck moving anatomically correct, I think its good deformation, but I don't think its actually moving the way muscles would under skin, but I need to get a copy I can frame by frame through.

He's specially wrong on a lot of the lighting claims he's making, it just isn't there and he's just throwing terms around.

He's just very enthusiastic about the game, which is great, but he's jumping to details that aren't there and really over selling things.

I'm not trying to say the game doesn't look good or anything but that video is bad, the guy is either overly enthusiastic or doesn't fully know what he's talking about. Either way its going to lead to misinformation being out there, and people claiming Uncharted 4 does real time GI, or silly things like that.

And he's saying there's adaptive tessellation on Drake's nose and face, on the sea line, and all over the rocks. He knows, how?

I don't get people being disappointed ... Spoiled generation I guess

That teaser happened, and then ND said it was what the game looked like and that they were going to pass it.

gtj1092

But he's wrong about a shit ton of it. It doesn't matter if he's catching things when he's wrong about it. He's catching shit that just isn't there.

So we all are just imagining the details that he is pointing out? Ok his mumbo jumbo jargon maybe wrong but I can clearly see the details he is talking about. I don't know how they get there or what tricks they are using but its impressive.

Tom Penny

Nobody can even get all their games a constant 1080p 60FPS. Nobody is going to make a generational leap this entire gen.

I'm seeing a very clear generational leap in visuals. I can't believe people are trying to deny that.

And like others have said... The new gameplay mechanics, environments, and AI are also adding to the leap. The gameplay overall looks fun and exhilarating! Can't wait.

While I was watching the keynote live, I was thinking to myself how amazing the game looked, how Naughty Dog always thought of things before other developers.

I thought about how excited everyone on Neogaf was going to be...
Baffled at the reactions.

kpaadet

I wonder why so many people think the graphics of a game is getting better near release, when nearly all games got huge downgrades between first gameplay clips and final game in the last few years.

I think Uncharted 4 does look good, but its clearly no big leap. Theres nothing that makes me go wow about it. Maybe Ryse set the bar too high for consoles, even through using kinda small areas

You are talking about the Ubisoft way of showing high end PC footage and then pretending its the console version (and sometimes the first shown footage can't even be done on PC). Also Ryse setting the bar to high? Yeah that sub 1080p and sub 30fps game really made the bar too high for other devs to follow.

My thoughts on what constitutes a generational leap haven't changed. If you have to explain to people why the footage they're watching is a generational leap, with graphs and arrows and the highlighting of various details, then it isn't a true generational leap. A real leap in graphics is immediately apparent, you don't need anyone to explain it to you. You just see it.

After watching a couple of more times, I am perphaps more hyped than before. As any sensible person would say, graphically the game does match the expectations set by ND themselves, but I'd trade even more graphical tech over a true leap in A.I. and gameplay mechanics like we saw on the demo. The way characters reacted to drake, the truly dynamic and fun gameplay, the different dialogue kicking in depending on your actions, I really felt a new level of immersion that almost all recent titles fail to reach. I recently had the chance to play Unity on PS4 for a while, and the borderline PS2 level A.I. detracts from the experience a lot. I hope they continue on focusing on that, and hopefully if the title is successfull enough others will follow and we can finally have some real new gen experiences.

So we all are just imagining the details that he is pointing out? Ok his mumbo jumbo jargon maybe wrong but I can clearly see the details he is talking about. I don't know how they get there or what tricks they are using but its impressive.

Perhaps, for some of it. Some times its more, they're doing a simple procedure, effect to make it look like something way more complex and he's saying they're doing the complex thing in real time.

Again I'm not trying to say the game looks bad or anything like that. He claims there's adaptive tessellation on Drake's Nose, Face, the rocks, and the Sea Lines, but there's nothing in that video to give us any idea that that's the case. They're detailed models for sure, I don't see anything that says its adaptive tessellation.

He keeps claiming there's Global Illumination here and there, and look at this light bounce, and at once point he even circles an area where there's no bounce lighting going on saying look at this amazing bounce light.

Some of the stuff ND is doing is REALLY awesome, and there's some nice looking effects going on. This guy is just super enthusiastic about it, and calling stuff that could be something simple, these complicated effects, that no hardware is doing in real time. IMHO siting it as reference material creates a lot of miss information out there, because the game is not doing real time Global Illumination or Caustics.

What we saw at PSX in no way looks bad, it looks fantastic, Nate looks great, animation is improved, amazing new gameplay techniques and so much more.

However, we were all expecting what we saw at E3 and for it to look even better. Naughty Dog said so themselves, that it was in game, realtime, 1080p60 and that it will only look better....and it didn't.

It is a downgrade, but it still looks amazing. Just disappointing, especially coming from Naughty Dog.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
It's unfortunate that we, as people, often diminish the quality of a product based off of a better displayed version of that said product.

Fortunately, I still see how amazing the game looks in those screens and in the gameplay videos. Love them.

ISee

By the way, if anyone wants to see a truly amazing dissection of the demo in both gameplay and tech watch this video.

He catches all sorts of shit I missed the first time, really gives you an appreciation of what Naughty Dog is already accomplishing. It's infinitely more useful than this Digital Foundry article, but your mileage may vary.

And he brings up some great points about the framerate as well.

Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

gamerMan

I don't think anyone familiar with the tech could say the gameplay demo was in line with the E3 teaser. I agree with Digital Foundry. It looks amazing, but it doesn't represent the massive generational leap we saw in the teaser.

Gaming Bolt, the site that broke that the E3 teaser was running a real time, echoed the same sentiment.

Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End Graphics Analysis- The Pristine Image Quality From E3’s Teaser Is Missing. Although Uncharted 4 looks fantastic, Naughty Dog has a lot of work ahead if they want to achieve the quality seen in the E3 teaser.

The E3 footage showcased incredible anti-aliasing and one of the best simulation of hair we have seen in a video game. However all of those features have not made the transition into the gameplay video that was released yesterday.

The anti-aliasing also doesn't seem to match the quality we saw in the reveal trailer. It seems that the demo was using post processing anti-aliasing and we saw a few instances of jaggies here and there. The PlayStation 4 is completely capable of rendering 4 X MSAA, something which we have seen utilized in The Order: 1886, so it will be interesting to see whether the final game will have an expensive anti-aliasing

The almost flawless hair rendering from the reveal trailer seems to be missing here. We understand that hair rendering is one of the most resource intensive process out there but we have already seen Assassin’s Creed Unity utilize some advanced techniques in this regard.

In the end, it must be noted that the game is in pre-alpha so the gameplay video was in no way the final representation of Uncharted 4. But we are disappointed that the image quality does not quite match up with the one we saw during E3 2014. The almost flawless anti-aliasing and hair rendering is completely missing in the latest build
Read more at http://gamingbolt.com/uncharted-4-a...rom-e3s-teaser-is-missing#mhs3XqIQkGG9f7B9.99

jacobeid

Banned
This game is looking great. Anyone who says otherwise just wants to hate, I'm convinced. We're year away, frame rate can easily come together.

Whether or not the game feels better to play in comparison to the previous games remains to be seen (i.e., bullet sponge enemies, finicky climbing controls, etc.).

nOoblet16

Nobody can even get all their games a constant 1080p 60FPS. Nobody is going to make a generational leap this entire gen.

Metro Redux, MGSV, COD: Advance Warfare MP (those split second drops to mid 50 during killcam replay over hours of gameplay do not count) say otherwise.

I don't think anyone familiar with the tech could say the gameplay demo was in line with the E3 teaser. I agree with Digital Foundry. It looks amazing, but it doesn't represent the massive generational leap we saw in the teaser.

Gaming Bolt, the site that broke that the E3 teaser was running a real time, echoed the same sentiment.

Read more at http://gamingbolt.com/uncharted-4-a...rom-e3s-teaser-is-missing#mhs3XqIQkGG9f7B9.99
The hair was certainly not as great. But what was wrong with the antialiassing?

TRI Mike

To be honest, I'm not impressed. The graphics look great, though not as good as the E3 reveal, but great nonetheless. My problem is the gameplay and the structure of the game. It's the fifth time (including the Vita one) we've seen Drake climbing around a jungle killing mercenaries. Only this time he uses a tool for climbs, a hook and a bit of stealth in the tall grass.

I'll reserve a judgement until I see more but right now, they have to do better than that.

The hair was certainly not as great. But what was wrong with the antialiassing?

The first teaser had 0 aliasing at all (as in it was 100% supersampled among other things).

I get the feeling it was unfair and or questionable to put out that Teaser at all. It represents unrealistic graphical quality on even the highest end components.

jamsy

Judging solely by the demo, I think the major problem with the series - the shooting bits, haven't really been fixed.

Still looks like the game will have too many dudes to shoot that take too many shots to kill.

valkyre

My thoughts on what constitutes a generational leap haven't changed. If you have to explain to people why the footage they're watching is a generational leap, with graphs and arrows and the highlighting of various details, then it isn't a true generational leap. A real leap in graphics is immediately apparent, you don't need anyone to explain it to you. You just see it.

I dont think most sane people, needed someone to explain to them that what they were seeing was a generational leap compared to its predecessors.

Of course the drama here in neogaf is always extreme. We got people saying that it looks like a PS3 HD game... nuff said really...

nOoblet16

Many tests have proven that per object motion blur, or motion blur are less efficient @60fps than @30.
That's why I still believe that ND is targeting 60fps...

I doubt those tests, check out how Tekken 6's movement looked with per object motion blir. Or play the games on PC that have them, a good per object blur always improves thing such as animations considerably. Motion blur is a very real phenomenon which happens all around us and this is why it is an important element in making animations and movement appear lifelike.

The first teaser had 0 aliasing at all (as in it was 100% supersampled among other things).

I get the feeling it was unfair and or questionable to put out that Teaser at all. It represents unrealistic graphical quality on even the highest end components.

Low contrast, heavy DoF and no small edges (the face was huge onscreen) meant it looked perfect...it's probably my first guess than supersampling.
Why are we all ignoring the tweet by Corrine Yu where she said it was being rendered in real time on a PS4 and that it didn't look good enough to be considered pre rendered CGI.?

I think the teaser was a real time cutscene, remember that last gen we had some insane real time cutscenes on puny hardware (RE5, Halo 4).

Those tests are wrong then, check out how Tekken 6's movement looked with per object motion blir. Or play the games on PC that have them, a good per object blur always improves thing such as animations considerably.

My man, my man.
Low contrast, heavy DoF and no small edges meant it looked perfect...it's probably my first guess than supersampling.
Why are we all ignoring the tweet by Corrine Yu where she said it was being rendered in real time on a PS4 and that it didn't look good enough to be considered pre rendered CGI.?

It didn't look like prerendered CGI (because that is an entirely other level of stuff), but the fact that it was running @ 60fps and had a number of things which are even missing from the 30fps cutscenes in the recent trailer... makes you wonder how they got it running on a PS4 at all. Especially i you take into consideration that the hair in the first vid is comprised of individually modelled strands and the water is physicalized geometry. Nothing approaches that in the cutscenes presented in the video.

And as much as I like communicating with devs, I think we should be skeptical of what they do at times and what they say. I mean, batman is demonstrated on a very high end PC with PS button prompts...

GQman2121

Banned
I can't help but feel like articles like this are the reason publishers are so protective over their products over the course of development.

I wonder why so many people think the graphics of a game is getting better near release, when nearly all games got huge downgrades between first gameplay clips and final game in the last few years.

I think Uncharted 4 does look good, but its clearly no big leap. Theres nothing that makes me go wow about it. Maybe Ryse set the bar too high for consoles, even through using kinda small areas

I don't know if I agree about Ryse setting the bar, but I agree with everything else you said.

Worse than previously before, the hallmark of nearly every major release this gen is that graphics and features are likely to be downgraded the closer to launch we get. Many of these games still end-up being great, but it makes gamers cynical as hell.

Hellshy.

Things must be slow at old DF. Maybe they should ask this question when the games not in a pre alpha state

This. Im sorry but I find it odd they dont even mention the game being in a pr-alpha state or alpha state when they talk about downgrades.

Jacobi

Banned
While I was watching the keynote live, I was thinking to myself how amazing the game looked, how Naughty Dog always thought of things before other developers.

I thought about how excited everyone on Neogaf was going to be...
Baffled at the reactions.
Haha, yeah. Thinking about quitting Neogaf because of all that negativity though. It just isn't fun anymore

JimiNutz

Banned
I thought the graphics were absolutely amazing.
Gameplay isnt really my sort of thing, which did dampen my excitement somewhat, but graphically I was blown away.

Top Bottom