• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Is Uncharted 4 the generational leap we were hoping for?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
It looks exactly the same. The only difference being the lighting condition. In a trailer they have the option of adjusting the lighting condition to make it better for the viewer. It's the same thing directors do while filming. The night shot has the moonlight hitting drake in the face

Ridiculous that people even need to explain this.

You keep telling yourself that. Photoshopping images to somehow prove a point? Shaking my goddamn head here.

The differences aren't just in the lighting, no matter how much you want them to be.

JordanN

Banned
Maybe it's just me, but I don't think they've actually downgraded anything.

Watch when the camera zooms in when Drake pulls out his gun and the muzzle flashes. You can see all the same detail in his hair and his skin.

Look at his arm and his face. They're being lit by the flash while the rest of his body remains dark. You can say the same about the environments too. Look at plant leaves being lit by the sun.

0YGg0Vu.jpg

JordanN

Banned
Yeah, I'm going to call bullshit on the dirt picture being "just the angle"

That came from the slide where they discussed PBR.

This pertains to reflections where you see the specular at grazing angles. A good example of this is cloth.

You need proper lighting conditions to actual make the cloth shine back light.

RBS190f.jpg

ksOJgsw.jpg

Crayon

Watch when the camera zooms in when Drake pulls out his gun and the muzzle flashes. You can see all the same detail in his hair and his skin.

0YGg0Vu.jpg

It's not just you. If there is any downgrade, we dont have suffuccient information to even confirm it. And we have okay pictures meaning that the downgrade would be vanishingly small anyhow.

Superflat

You keep telling yourself that. Photoshopping images to somehow prove a point? Shaking my goddamn head here.

The differences aren't just in the lighting, no matter how much you want them to be.

The light in photoshop for the left image is messed with because the E3 image on the right was tampered with as well; it's a matter of making the images actually comparable. The E3 image looks like an off-screen shot. It's brightened to shit, the white specks are blown out and bloomy -- none of that is in the actual clip. This is a straight screenshot from the teaser:

i2U1VQ6USMbhF.png

I took that image from the 1080p gamersyde clip and you can still see the compression and lack of clarity. Brighten it up, change the color tone, and mirror the image like so and you get this:

ibxUUwRTg3DGVB.png

"Photoreal Drake" because it looks like someone took a picture of a person on a SD television.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The light in photoshop for the left image is messed with because the E3 image on the right was tampered with as well; it's a matter of making the images actually comparable. The E3 image looks like an off-screen shot. It's brightened to shit, the white specks are blown out and bloomy -- none of that is in the actual clip. This is a straight screenshot from the teaser:

I took that image from the 1080p gamersyde clip and you can still see the compression and lack of clarity. Brighten it up, change the color tone, and mirror the image like so and you get this:

"Photoreal Drake" because it looks like someone took a picture of a person on a SD television.

I'm sorry, but I honestly don't even know what you're talking about. Who is tampering with screenshots and why?

I'm just looking at the two different videos as they were released. No idea anyone feels a need to do more than that.

Superflat

I'm just looking at the two different videos as they were released. No idea anyone feels a need to do more than that.

Me neither, but that e3 screenshot everyone is using for comparison has been tampered with, and is contrasted against a screenshot from the demo with none. Beats me.

RayMaker

Banned
So yeah on first impressions it looks very nice, some next gen things in there we have already seen and some that while being nothing new they are done better here (foliage). However it does not impress with the standard setting ND is known for, apart from the foliage it does look a lot like uncharted 2/3 with added next gen bells + whistles and not a game built from the ground up exploiting the PS4 fully.

I keep coming across this pic, anyone care to explain why both look different? different TOD or something else?
If I recall correctly, Naughty Dog reedited some cutscenes to fit the real-time sequences. But they didn't have enough time so some final build's cutscenes might not be the same as the E3 build's.

If I recall correctly, Naughty Dog reedited some cutscenes to fit the real-time sequences. But they didn't have enough time so some final build's cutscenes might not be the same as the E3 build's.

I remember seeing/hearing somewhere back then, that the inclusion of 3D in UC3 caused minor visual inconsistencies!

I see VFX_VETERAN has been hard at work.
8IF06MZ.jpg

I kid ;)

I find Drake to be a little chubby in the actual gameplay demo at PSX. He didn't look that way back in the E3 2014 trailer! I've seen the gamersyde's color corrected 1080p version of UC4 gameplay and lord it's just stunning!

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
I find Drake to be a little chubby in the actual gameplay demo at PSX. He didn't look that way back in the E3 2014 trailer! I've seen the gamersyde's color corrected 1080p version of UC4 gameplay and lord it's just stunning!

He's stoped training, starting eating... I think he is getting depressed because of the downgradaton.

Kidding kidding :)

I keep coming across this pic, anyone care to explain why both look different? different TOD or something else?

Its a prerendered cutscene. The left one is from E3, the right one is in the actual game and the lighting is changed in order to fit whats happening in the game in that moment.
The also added a necklace.

It looks different because the lighting changed. Its about as much of a downgrade as going from sunny to rainy in Driveclub is a downgrade. Just different conditions that look different.
Downgrading a prerendered cutscenes would also be a weird thing to do.

Its a prerendered cutscene. The left one is from E3, the right one is in the actual game and the lighting is changed in order to fit whats happening in the game in that moment.
The also added a necklace.

It looks different because the lighting changed. Its about as much of a downgrade as going from sunny to rainy in Driveclub is a downgrade. Just different conditions that look different.

I thought the cinematics were rendered real time in engine?

Javin98

Banned
Naughty Dog's PS3 games all had pre-rendered in-engine cutscenes with higher visual fidelity than gameplay. So you can see why the UC3 comparison is full of shit. No one would downgrade pre-rendered cinematics. Apparently, ND is moving to real time cinematics starting with UC4, possibly to save disk space

camac002

I always thought this scene was just a plain mistake by somebody there. Perhaps a last minute change, error in rendering, we know the game was rushed. Her model there is abnormally bad compared to the others in that scene, even taking lighting change into account. Like using her in-game model instead of the standard cutscene model. As you and others have said, very frustrating when people don't realise this was a pre-rendered video.

Sid

What's the point of color correcting images? the game will most likely have a similar color tone it's using now

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

U2, U3 and Last of Us all use FMV's for their cutscenes. A lot of PS3 games did it like LA Noire and FF13-1, they could disguise it well because the blu ray disk size allowed for the video files to be a high enough quality so as to lack compression to make it obvious.

In this generation however, games are becoming too big by themselves, they cant use FMV to that level. So now everything is basically real time for ND's next games, or so they say.

Jak and Crash all had real time cutscenes from start to finish...i think games are more impressive when they use realtime as opposed to cutscenes. I like Bungie for doing that for every Halo game they made. And platinum too..

Look at his arm and his face. They're being lit by the flash while the rest of his body remains dark. You can say the same about the environments too. Look at plant leaves being lit by the sun.

Nope, there's definitely a downgrade. The hair is the most noticeable, and I recognized it instantly. DF is bang on with their analysis - this is definitely a downgrade from the E3 trailer, but importantly it's still an incredibly detailed character model and possibly the best we've seen yet on consoles. If they hadn't made the mistake of setting unreasonably high expectations with that E3 con, then we'd all be discussing how amazing the character model in this gameplay trailer is, rather than how much of a downgrade it is.

I also love their breakdown of the AI and level design. That's what impressed me most about the demo - the game play is taking some great steps forward.

Fezan

I remember seeing/hearing somewhere back then, that the inclusion of 3D in UC3 caused minor visual inconsistencies!
No such thing. The e3 trailer had a different settings and time of day. If you play the game you'll see its morning time and haze is caused due to tinted mirrors and morning time.

Nope, there's definitely a downgrade. The hair is the most noticeable, and I recognized it instantly.

The only "downgrade" the hair went through was a loss of the impossibly-perfect subpixel AA - which happens to be the only real thing missing - but seemed to be there during the final cutscene with his brother.

DF's analysis isn't very good because it's like the author doesn't know how easier it is to have good-looking real time lighting in circumstances such as the teaser's (dark+one dim source of direct light) compared to the demo's; it's harder to make daylight look good, probably because there is a lot more bouncing of light during the day, and the absence of those reflections clues our brains to the fakiness of it. As such, trying to compare both scenes for anything but geometry (which seems to be a match) and AA (which is great on the demo but simply perfect on the teaser) is just guessing.

Hell, you don't even have to look far in this forum to get examples. Just take a look at the Driveclub Photomode thread - you will find that most pics are taken in any condition but midday.

No, all the cutscenes are in form of a video on disc.

I always thought this scene was just a plain mistake by somebody there. Perhaps a last minute change, error in rendering, we know the game was rushed. Her model there is abnormally bad compared to the others in that scene, even taking lighting change into account. Like using her in-game model instead of the standard cutscene model. As you and others have said, very frustrating when people don't realise this was a pre-rendered video.

The model is exactly the same, except that they added a necklace.
The only thing that changed is the lighting in the whole scene, from completely clear and sunny to dusty.

Graphics looked sharp but as been said the gameplay really made me giddy.I love when plants react to a players movement not only that but ND ar kings and contextual animations such as placing your hand on a wall when you bump into it etc.

Top Bottom