• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Nintendo NX Powered By Nvidia Tegra! Initial Spec Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty much confirms that there will be no backwards compatibility. No surprise there.

Also,

"you can think of the NX as a turbo charged last gen console"

... So barely a leap over the Wii-U then? What's with Nintendo's obsession with releasing turbo chared last gen hardware?

Proelite

Like I said before This is unprecedented power in a mobile SOC in comparison to its peers. This will outclass everything mobile when it releases.

This is everything I ever wanted from a handheld/hybrid, but I still believe there's more - too many people saying that sources have suggested multiple SKUs.

Zubz

Banned

... So barely a leap over the Wii-U then? What's with Nintendo's obsession with releasing turbo chared last gen hardware?

On paper? Cost effectiveness. In actuality? Nintendo's like Thanos; they secretly want to lose, so they keep giving the competition easy ways to steamroll them.

$300

Pretty much confirms that there will be no backwards compatibility. No surprise there.

Also,

In the other hand you'll have a turbo charged last gen console in handheld form. That's a very nice jump from 3DS.

IMO is wrong to look at this as a console.

Kouriozan

Interesting video, if Nintendo decided to put Tegra X2 in there it would really be amazing.
September can't come soon enough.

Well... worst case scenario, Nintendo's one step closer to going mobile only.

Fixed for accuracy. It's hilarious that people think that Nintendo's going to join a declining dedicated hardware segment instead of a growing one AND forego 30 percent for far less returns than they have with their currently modest sell-through.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
it would be the most nintendo thing in the world to have been given the option of a state of the art x2 chip and go instead for the x1 because they bought a job lot of them on ebay.

stuminus3

Banned
What happened to "industry-leading" tech?
capturepva6s.png

etta

my hard graphic balls
I mean, if they continue to do their own thing, sure I guess Tegra is enough.
But I was thinking they'd want to get third party support and big games like Mass Effect and Battlefield, at which point developers will probably just say "nahhhhh" to the Tegra.

Cool video. Thanks, OP!

I don't think the NX will launch with the Tegra 2. Nintendo will probably do the same it did to the 3DS: we'll have the Tegra 1 NX next year and, two or three years down the road, we'll have the New NX with a Tegra 2 to boost performance. It's basically what Sony and Microsoft are doing right now with the PS4 Neo and the Xbox Scorpio.

Fixed for accuracy. It's hilarious that people think that Nintendo's going to join a declining dedicated hardware segment instead of a growing one AND forego 30 percent for far less returns than they have with their currently modest sell-through.

Dedicated gaming handhelds is a growing segment of the market?

Proelite

Cool video. Thanks, OP!

I don't think the NX will launch with the Tegra 2. Nintendo will probably do the same it did to the 3DS: we'll have the Tegra 1 NX next year and, two or three years down the road, we'll have the New NX with a Tegra 2 to boos performance. It's basically what Sony and Microsoft are doing right now with the PS4 Neo and the Xbox Scorpio.

Tegra X1 running at full clocks will not be in a mobile device. (20W)

Considering the fact that ShockingAlberto said the NX is around Xbox one in power, it has to be 16nm FF Pascal based Tegra.

terrible

Banned
Even though I personally don't really do any handheld gaming and I don't plan on changing that it sounds pretty awesome to me really. So I gather the base "console" will be acting almost like a Steam Link rather than being it's own standalone system?

Fingers crossed that their specualtion about it having the Tegra x2 instead of the x1.

If not I'd still be more than happy with better than Wii U quality graphics on a mobile device, and that does line up with Nintendo's usual handheld power upgrade path.
Keeping costs down, especially for a handheld device.

I don't think they want a repeat of the 3DS's launch of $250.

Hawk269

Also,

Nintendo rarely takes a loss on hardware, which is why they never go hi end component's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom