• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Nintendo NX Powered By Nvidia Tegra! Initial Spec Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawk269

Next gen Tegra x2 is pretty cutting edge component dude. More so than the CPU / GPU in Neo.
Well it is not confirmed "dude". It is speculation at best so far. It would be great if they end up using it, but Nintendo has a history with lower end components to ensure profitability from the get go.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
What if the handhelds/controllers are X1, but the base station X2?

A Tegra X1 is a huge jump from the 3DS.

RootCause

According to Eurogamer, the X1 chips in NX dev kits are overclocked, so it's very likely to be an X2 chip in the final product or at the very least an improved version of the X1.
I had no idea nvidia was working on a x2 chip. I'm guessing a customized X1.
Crazy as it is, I feel a bit more excited about the portability of the system.

Griss

We'll be going from roughly 5 gigaflops in the 3DS to roughly 500 with the X1.

I don't care if that's inaccurate or they downclock it to save power or whatever - it's clear that this is going to be one of the greatest tech leaps between generations of a device ever.

I am fucking PUMPED. Never thought we'd see Nintendo putting this kind of emphasis on raw power.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
At the end of the day it's indeed all speculation on unconfirmed reports, but Eurogamer and Kotaku sure seem to believe it. Both are not exactly some no name websites either. But from here on i am not going to expect anything really. Let's just hope Nintendo finally stops with the silence in September.

The problem isn't that Eurogamer made the report saying it's a hybrid Tegra controllers detach ect...

The problem is Digital Foundry bills this as a spec analysis when it isn't an actual spec analysis of the NX cause they have no fucking clue what the actual chip is.

This is no better than someone just reposting say Anandtech's Nvidia Shield TV and Pixel C benchmarks and calling it a day.

What makes it doubly worse is people tend to look to DF as somewhat of an authority on these matters.

NimbusD

I mean, I like it. As a PC gamer, I don't have much use to get a ps4 or xbox to put under the tv that sits ~8 feet away from my PC. But something like this would interest me if it did some of the extra stuff right.

I swear to god if they essentially go with a screen controller again and DON'T allow multiple controllers to connect to the main one for multiplayer, then fuck them.

It'd be interesting to see what exactly their solution is for controllers once the main controller is docked.

Anyway, I'm interested for sure.

EDIT: so watching the eurogamer video, the detachable controller parts are the controller? Idk, that doesn't make sense to me, also looks uncomfortable, which is okay for a portable, but once it's on a tv, shit's gotta be comfy.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
What if the handhelds/controllers are X1, but the base station X2?

A Tegra X1 is a huge jump from the 3DS.

That would probably needlessly increase cost, the X2 is probably not going be any more power hungry than the X1. I'd say it's actually more likely that X2 is more efficient and would be better in the portable.

There's no space for another traditional console in the market, that's the harsh reality.

This is basically Nintendo saying, "Fuck, you can keep yopur stagnating core console market" and focusing on handheld, using an unified system that will streamline their resources on one device instead of two.

So, what's the actual NX chip?

Well you do make a good point that the traditional console market is already being occupied by two systems that are very much identical to each other (aside from a few differences in performance) and there really isn't much breathing room for Nintendo to flourish in that market, even if they did deliver a higher end system that could stay in a competitive range.

I personally don't think the hardware would be that expensive to manufacture for a machine that can compete with PS4K and Scorpio. Building a dedicated machine that can fall in that ballpark would actually be pretty inexpensive, if they didn't go overboard on external features like an overpriced game pad.

But this approach does give Nintendo a bit more breathing room to exist in a market somewhere between handheld, mobile and home console. I guess it is also a plus that they are finally dumping PowerPC in favor of something that is actually supported by modern game engines. That will certainly help with them 3RD party and even more indie developer support. Maybe this machine will end up being what they originally envisioned the Wii-U to be?

Sandfox

And mine too, unless he knows something I don't see the point of criticizing DF for reporting what their sources told them.

They clarified that the X2 comment was 100% speculation on their part.
I think his issue is that what DF is reporting is very likely going to be completely inaccurate.

I think his issue is that what DF is reporting is very likely going to be completely inaccurate.

Why?

Several sources backed Eurogamer claims, even here on Neogaf. What's the basis that is innacurate other that the fervish desire that NX shouldn't turn out like this?

The problem isn't that Eurogamer made the report saying it's a hybrid Tegra controllers detach ect...

The problem is Digital Foundry bills this as a spec analysis when it isn't an actual spec analysis of the NX cause they have no fucking clue what the actual chip is.

This is no better than someone just reposting say Anandtech's Nvidia Shield TV and Pixel C benchmarks and calling it a day.

What makes it doubly worse is people tend to look to DF as somewhat of an authority on these matters.

I can;t disagree with that man. Not everything DF says is gospel but some people do seem to think so, more or less.

It really is just damn time Nintendo simply starts talking. Why wait at all really? Afraid the competition will steal their idea? Yeah..fat chance, really really fat chance. August would be nice, but i think September is a safer bet.

jett

D-Member
Tegra X2 seems like a pipedream. Wouldn't developers be made aware of such a fact? My overall take is that it seems to be a decently powered 3DS successor but as far as console gaming goes, I'm just not interested in what the rumors are indicating.

AAMARMO

Banned
I think this is bad news for third party, especially for EA. NX has a different chip set, then PS4 and Xbox One making it harder for Devs to port their software over to NX system.

If the devkits uses an X1, we can have an idea of the relative performance of the device, that's what the video is for.

Not a full detail of NX specs.

Hasney

Which might be a lot of they want to keep the costs low.

For $25 for double the power though... Lower the quality on that handheld screen to save the money back.

Tegra X2 seems like a pipedream. Wouldn't developers be made aware of such a fact? My overall take is that it seems to be a decently powered 3DS successor but as far as console gaming goes, I'm just not interested in what the rumors are indicating.

No, they wouldn't because it wouldn't change their pipeline too much. It's not been uncommon for pre-release dev kits to get more powerful over time.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
If the devkits uses an X1, we can have an idea of the relative performance of the device, that's what the video is for.

Not a full detail of NX specs.

Might as well just copy and paste all of the Pixel C reviews from 6 months ago, and bill them as a NX tech analysis.

EVH

I don't think it is going to be Tegra 2, but it could be a downgraded version of Tegra 2 that also is automatically underclocked when working with battery but fully clocked when working on the dock. That would help with power and consumption and also make that rumor that the console has active cooling system in it something reasonable.

PSqueak

Banned
It just hit me:

This is a portable, so maybe the NX smash will indeed have all the 3ds levels along the wii u levels!

The base station could add active cooling so the chip can run at a higher clock speed.

Nintendo also was recently awarded a patent for having multiple gaming devices share computing resources. They could have additional hardware in the base station to bring games from a 480p/540p mobile resolution to 1080p on the TV.

Do devices end up with better hardware than devkits?

On occasion, as a last minute change. The Xbox 360 famously doubled its RAM shortly before going into production.

VariantX

I can;t disagree with that man. Not everything DF says is gospel but some people do seem to think so, more or less.

It really is just damn time Nintendo simply starts talking. Why wait at all really? Afraid the competition will steal their idea? Yeah..fat chance, really really fat chance. August would be nice, but i think September is a safer bet.

If they're going to steal it, they ain't going to do so until AFTER it's a proven success.

jett

D-Member
For $25 for double the power though... Lower the quality on that handheld screen to save the money back.

No, they wouldn't because it wouldn't change their pipeline too much. It's not been uncommon for pre-release dev kits to get more powerful over time.

Eh, I think they would be made aware that the final console would have different hardware, so that they can target their games appropriately.

Eh, I think they would be made aware that the final console would have different hardware, so that they can target their games appropriately.

Apparently the X1 on the kits are overclocked?

This is Nintendo though, I can see they keep in the dark devs about final specs

antonz

Using an X1 significantly overclocked makes 0 sense for a release product. It would increase power consumption as well as heat to a ridiculous degree hence why the Devkits have an insanely loud fan problem right now.

On the other hand if it is a stand in for an eventual Parker chip it makes perfect sense. Parker is on a smaller manufacturing node and will run cooler and more power efficient. So for now they would be using a stressed X1 to simulate X2.

cost

would be hard keeping it under $250-300 unless they plan to sell at a loss again

Tegra has been overall a disaster for Nvidia. While the chips themselves have finally started to live upto the hype Nvidia has failed to nail any large win for the product line. Playing nice with Nintendo could be a massive win for Tegra

LoveCake

Interesting, how big is the screen going to be though, it seems that it's too big to be a hand-held and too small as a 'full/home' console.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Assuming this is all true I'm wondering if Nintendo is done with standalone home consoles after NX...I certainly hope not.

Edit: should clarify, NX is a hybrid..does that mean no going back to dedicated home consoles in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom