• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Nintendo NX Powered By Nvidia Tegra! Initial Spec Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.
$300

In the other hand you'll have a turbo charged last gen console in handheld form. That's a very nice jump from 3DS.

IMO is wrong to look at this as a console.

I get it, as a handheld it should be pretty sufficient and it is said to have a docking station that will bump up the hardware specs for 1080p + (yeah right) gaming. It is essentially just an evolution on the Wii-U with a reverse role between the Wii-U gamepad and the system console. It is interesting I guess... but do they really need to go this route and re-invent the wheel for the Xth time?

dickroach

the most important part is wether the base station with the TV input adds additional power. does the video mention anything about it? tl;dw

Hip Hop

Pretty much confirms that there will be no backwards compatibility. No surprise there.

Also,

"you can think of the NX as a turbo charged last gen console"

... So barely a leap over the Wii-U then? What's with Nintendo's obsession with releasing turbo chared last gen hardware?

Not a big fan of that, but at least it's a mobile.

Correct me if i'm wrong but cartridges will mean significantly shorter loading times,right? As for turbo powered last gen console...heh. Not at all what i was hoping for, but i already know i'll buy it eventually. Never want to miss out on a new Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong, Metroid and so on.

Let Nintendo at least go for that X2 then.

As a home console, it's kind of disappointing, but hey, at least it's a decent bit more powerful than Wii U, so I'm good.

As a handheld, this thing is mindblowing, especially coming from Nintendo.

Can't watch but is more powerful then the Wii U or not?

Quite a bit more powerful, but not at XB1/PS4 level.

I get it, as a handheld it should be pretty sufficient and it is said to have a docking station that will bump up the hardware specs for 1080p + (yeah right) gaming. It is essentially just an evolution on the Wii-U with a reverse role between the Wii-U gamepad and the system console. It is interesting I guess... but do they really need to go this route and re-invent the wheel for the Xth time?

There's no space for another traditional console in the market, that's the harsh reality.

This is basically Nintendo saying, "Fuck, you can keep yopur stagnating core console market" and focusing on handheld, using an unified system that will streamline their resources on one device instead of two.

I hate this with a passion cause it's speculation based on something that isn't the actual NX chip.

This is the exact same bullshit I told people not to do in the Eurogamer thread.

So, what's the actual NX chip?

Proelite

I hate this with a passion cause it's speculation based on something that isn't the actual NX chip.

This is the exact same bullshit I told people not to do in the Eurogamer thread.

Their Scorpio speculation was pretty offbase too. 54 CU Vega cutdown running at 825 mhz.

Really? AMD designs a custom APU just so that can slap on a desktop GPU?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Correct me if i'm wrong but cartridges will mean significantly shorter loading times,right? As for turbo powered last gen console...heh. Not at all what i was hoping for, but i already know i'll buy it eventually. Never want to miss out on a new Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong, Metroid and so on.

Let Nintendo at least go for that X2 then.

No, slightly faster loading times at best. Very high read speeds increase the cost of the carts a lot.

I'd be kind shocked if Nintendo went with Terga X2. That's completely unlike them to go a brand new/cutting edge chip. And I still don't think they would have a high resolution screen or use the full clocks of anything Terga on battery.

Underclocked + low res screen on battery. Plug it in at home and it can run at full clocks and 720/1080p on the TV.

At the end of the day it's indeed all speculation on unconfirmed reports, but Eurogamer and Kotaku sure seem to believe it. Both are not exactly some no name websites either. But from here on i am not going to expect anything really. Let's just hope Nintendo finally stops with the silence in September.

Fingers crossed that their specualtion about it having the Tegra x2 instead of the x1.

If not I'd still be more than happy with better than Wii U quality graphics on a mobile device, and that does line up with Nintendo's usual handheld power upgrade path.

Keeping costs down, especially for a handheld device.

I don't think they want a repeat of the 3DS's launch of $250.

I would be happy with something like the Wii U with a faster and more modern OS and to have all of that on a beautiful screen on the go sounds pretty good to me. Of course this is coming from someone who owns a Wii U only for the Nintendo exclusives.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
TLDR: Here's our full analysis, but there's a chance it could be an entirely different chip.

It's the worse kind of speculation cause it's semi accurate, but it's not the real actual thing.

It's clickbate, and it spreads misinformation.

Pif

Banned
The most powerful mobile device ever, powered by Nvidia, produced by Nintendo.

That has the ability to connect to a TV and expand performance even further via optional dock.

That's the PR you will hear and love.

I call success.

4Tran

What happened to "industry-leading" tech?
Industry-leading means more advanced technology. However this doesn't mean what you may think: any newer technology is going to be more advanced than something older, regardless of their actual performance or capabilities. Hence, without further context, industry-leading only ever means newer.

Ryoku

The most powerful mobile device ever, powered by Nvidia, produced by Nintendo.

That has the ability to connect to a TV and expand performance even further via optional dock.

That's the PR you will hear and love.

I call success.

Don't forget about potential Gamestream from your PC to the TV!
Honestly, though. I can only hope.

WalTech

Dude needs to fix his glasses. It was an interesting video, but every time he was on screen I wanted him to stop and adjust those damned things.

To actually contribute, I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo stuck with the X1. It's reliable, it's a known quantity, and there should be room for upgrading like they've been talking about forever. I wouldn't be surprised if they release the NX now, and then in a couple years we see the NX2, feature the X3. They've been saying they want a back/forward compatible ecosystem for a while now, so moving to a chip like this would give them room to do so.

Newline

This has gotten me all kinds of excited. Home console level experiences on a handheld? The thought of playing games with the level of polish that nintendo provides on a portable console thats powerful is just madness. The leap from 3DS to NX will be crazy. Also I don't think much more than the Wii U is really necessary for the kind of art style nintendo is known for.

Nobody knows unless your Nvidia, Nintendo, or else maybe a high level dev under NDA.

Hell I doubt even everyone at Nintendo or Nvidia know the ins and outs of this thing that aren't on the project.

Then what's the problem?

That they shouldn't report at all their sources on the matter? They said that the dev kits uses X1, but is not unlikely that they might use the newer NV mobile architecture since it's around the corner.

They clarified that this last part is 100% speculation considering the timing of the release of both NX and the new NV Tegra X2. Is a plausible scenario knowing that devkits often uses similar parts and not the real hardware.

Keeping costs down, especially for a handheld device.

I don't think they want a repeat of the 3DS's launch of $250.

This will be actually opposite of keeping costs down. It will be high end device outperforming even current high end phones. Just can't see how they can sell it under $300 without taking hefty loss per device. I mean current high end phones are over $700 dollars (obviously NX will be far less but you get the point).

Interesting that he speculates that Tegra X1 might just be a dev kit placeholder and maybe NX actually uses the next gen X2 chip..that would be a much more acceptable performance mark for me personally.

Probably wishful thinking though.

According to Eurogamer and Digital Foundry, the X1 chips in NX dev kits are rumored to be overclocked, so it's very likely to be an X2 chip in the final product or at the very least an improved version of the X1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom