• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Nintendo NX Powered By Nvidia Tegra! Initial Spec Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antagon

So does the SD820, hence why they replaced it with 821 which ran cooler than he previous SD.

Also I do believe Nintendo could go out with 3 configurations

1. Handheld (with dock)
2. Hybrid
3. Console

Would that be feasible or would it cause to much confusion for people?

It'd probably be confusing early on. Might be best to start with the hybrid and release a handheld / console version down the line as a budget option.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
So power wise its an overclocked WiiU or:

27% of PS4 power.
38% Xbone power.
11% NEO power.
8% Scorpio power.

Pretty inadequate for 2017 machine tbh.

*if NX had X1 chip.

It's a handheld that connects to TV. Now do a comparison with handhelds and even tablets/phones on the market.

KAL2006

Banned
It's most likely an X2

A X1 is terrible in terms of heat. Why do no phones use an X1

This also explains the delay as well as Nikkei original saying latest chips.

X2 on a 6" 540p portable can have Zelda BotW performance that matched the Wii U with decent battery life.

Also when docked whether the dock has extra cooling to allow the system to overclock or the dock has a extra processor. Games can be upgraded to match Xbox One power.

Price wise they can have
Tablet - $200
Tablet and Dock - $300

martino

need to be at least 10" to be interesting for video usage (imo) (and can be interested then because x1 or + means hevc -hdr support)

spekkeh

Banned
On the other hand, the Nvidia Shield uses a Tegra X1, the 16GB storage version already costs $199

https://shield.nvidia.com/store/android-tv

This is without the screen, the portable form factor, the docking station and has a useless amount of storage.

Now Nintendo does probably sell more bulk and can sell at cost, but an X2 NX would easily bump it up to $350-$400. Which is not impossible, but might not be what Nintendo is aiming for.

ViciousDS

Banned
So does the SD820, hence why they replaced it with 821 which ran cooler than he previous SD.

Also I do believe Nintendo could go out with 3 configurations

1. Handheld (with dock)
2. Hybrid
3. Console

Would that be feasible or would it cause to much confusion for people?

My one plus 3 under heavy gaming is really not that hot. It gets no hotter than an iphone

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
On the other hand, the Nvidia Shield uses a Tegra X1, the 16GB storage version already costs $199

This is without the screen, the portable form factor, the docking station and has a useless amount of storage.

Now Nintendo does probably sell more bulk and can sell at cost, but an X2 NX would easily bump it up to $350-$400. Which is not impossible, but might not be what Nintendo is aiming for.

All the Shield products, with screen or not have been around $200 haven't they? Plus Shield products have probably a very low production, so bigger costs on the chips. $200 for the handheld only with X1 should be feasible. Now X2 is more of a question, but I doubt the price will grow with $150, seeing how this is most probably a licensing deal and we assume same production volumes for NX.

Genio88

"Pretty much the most powerful tablet form factor chip on the market right now"... really how is that my Surface Pro 4 has a i5? It's not the most powerful they can get, fact is this thing has to cost no more than 250$ so they're going cheaper on hardware

martino

but it has nvidia margin included.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
"Pretty much the most powerful tablet form factor chip on the market right now"... really how is that my Surface Pro 4 has a i5? It's not the most powerful they can get, fact is this thing has to cost no more than 250$ so they're going cheaper on hardware

You really don't see how your Surface Pro 4 is irrelevant in a discussion about mobile/portable devices? Really? (not even touching how you mix CPU and GPU, unless you where really talking about Intel HD GPU in which case lol)

Easy_D

never left the stone age
You really don't see how your Surface Pro 4 is irrelevant in a discussion about mobile/portable devices? Really? (not even touching how you mix CPU and GPU, unless you where really talking about Intel HD GPU in which case lol)

No dude a slim laptop running an entire OS is the same thing as a dedicated gaming system with an actual GPU.

Honestly though, if Ultra Trine 2 at a locked 30 at 1080p is what it can do, I'd be pretty fucking happy because I haven't seen a mobile game look that good yet.

AzaK

Their video made me enthusiastic.

If this has an X2 and a lower res, so it can run PS4 like games on mobile, and then the dock has an SSD, then this will be an instabuy.

Otherwise, proof is in the pudding. Nah I'll buy it anyway cause Nintendo, but I might wait a bit.

The problem is, noone making games that run on PS4 (or XBO of course) will port to such a low powered machine. It's not worth it. Why port from the current highend consoles that have a 70 million install base of core gamers to a hand held unit by a company who doesn't care about your audience and sold 15 million units in 4 years.

No dude a slim laptop running an entire OS is the same thing as a dedicated gaming system with an actual GPU.

Honestly though, if Ultra Trine 2 at a locked 30 at 1080p is what it can do, I'd be pretty fucking happy because I haven't seen a mobile game look that good yet.

And then you plug it into the TV and go "meh"

Easy_D

never left the stone age
The problem is, noone making games that run on PS4 (or XBO of course) will port to such a low powered machine. It's not worth it. Why port from the current highend consoles that have a 70 million install base of core gamers to a hand held unit by a company who doesn't care about your audience and sold 15 million units in 4 years.

And then you plug it into the TV and go "meh"

I have absolutely no intention to plug it into a TV. It's a portable system for me and that's how I'll judge it.

Maniac

Banned
Yep. Youtube comments are absolute trash.

Unlike GAF..? I mean sure there's less child-rape comments here but that's just because you'll get banned for that kinda stuff; there's just as high a volume of stupid here as in the YT comment section.

wrowa

Keeps them low cost so parents will buy them for their kids.

But this doesn't sound low-cost at all, that's precisely the problem. More likely to be in the price range of PS4 and Xbox One by the time it launches.

Japanese developers absolutely would. If all of this turns out true, the NX seems be once again aimed primarily at the Japanese market and its unique handheld/console ecosystem anyway.

ethomaz

Banned
So are they going to make a console too or is this probably their plan going forward? A handheld that connects to the TV.
This is a hybrid console... it will have a dock to connect to TV.

Don't think like PSTV because docked NX possible run like a full power console.

Yonafunu

Fully expecting Nintendo to come out with multiple new docks down the line for the people wanting that extra power. That might be the SCD stuff.

AzaK

This looks like will be an handheld in first, so will not compete in raw power with X1 or PS4. Also, problem of Wii U was software drought, not specs, infact Nintendo games looks fantastic. If they sell a good number of NX, they'll have also the third party support and to sell NX at first they need a lot of software, so I hope they are working on a lot of games for the first months.
And games didn't come because specs sucked. If you want western third parties you need specs which shows those devs you're catering to their audience.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
And games didn't come because specs sucked. If you want western third parties you need specs shich shows those decs you're catering to their audience.

Third parties won't come to a Nintendo device. Move on. And this is not the topic for this discussion.

It seems like an awfully big gamble overall. People are quickly assuming 3DS like sales are a guarantee etc. For all we know a new dedicated handheld device may not even break 20 million units going forward and in the meantime they are basically abandoning the console side of things.

A huge risk

Agreed. I have a feeling that this is Nintendo's last effort to carve out space in the gaming hardware business. They're taking this risk, because the alternative is to pull out of the hardware race entirely(unpopular opinion, but I don't care). If the NX isn't a success then my guess is that they will change to software development for other consoles, probably in addition to branching out to other areas. (QoL possibly, nostalgia milking like the NES mini and maybe some Amiboo type collectibles etc)

But I don't think Nintendo needs that large a install base to be successful. 20 million sold NXs would probably keep them more than afloat, considering the high attach rate the Wii U had and fhag most of the games sold on the platform will be Nintendo's own. And they could make at least small profit on the sale of every console (don't get too greedy here Ninty, for your own good) and peripherals like pro controllers will probably do well.

If they get to 30-40 million and above I think it's a slam dunk. Especially if they for example buff up their Virtual Console offerings and maybe introduce a ps plus type program where you pay a fee and get a VC game each month or something.

It could be a lot more successful than this as well, but I don't think it HAS to be.

Personally I'm just looking forward to owning such a powerful handheld, and not having to buy two separate machines to play a relatively low amount of games. This was really the only way for Nintendo to win me back, as a very disappointed Wii U owner.

Rodin

this is a portable.
a "turbo charged last gen console" is more that what even Vita did.
Going from the 3DS up to this would be 2 gen leaps for Nintendo.
This is much more than turbo last gen, they said that during the shield footage but it's going to perform way better with vulkan and no android.

Also, if it has x2 it will be within spitting distance from the xbone, if not better when connected to the dock, depending on how the chip performs. But it will be closer to that than to wiiu for sure.

heringer

This is much more than turbo last gen, they said that during the shield footage but it's going to perform way better with vulkan and no android.

Also, if it has x2 it will be within spitting distance from the xbone, if not better when connected to the dock, depending on how the chip performs. But it will be closer to that than to wiiu for sure.

You will be underwhelmed.

Seriously, people never learn with Nintendo. smh

Knowing Nintendo it'll be £250.
Hopefully £250 with a pack in game?
I think £250 is too much for a Nintendo product in the UK these days, unless this has a Wii-like hook. Nintendo is dead here right now. Majority of the public doesn't assign have value items with Nintendo.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Where is all this "Tegra X2" talk comes from?

There is a yet unreleased new Shield Tablet X1 that should come at the end of this year.
Why would Nvidia launch a tablet with X1 when they hava a X2?
16 nm might be paramount for nintendo, if we recalled what broke apart their last partnership..

Rodin

You will be underwhelmed.

Seriously, people never learn with Nintendo. smh

You know, english isn't my first language but i'm pretty sure i know the meaning of the word "if".

Also, i don't give a fuck. So i'm not sure how am i supposed to be underwhelmed. I'm merely speculating based on what we know and what we (and DF) think can happen.

Well that's what they should be aiming for.

A $199 (or less) handheld and a $199 (or less) home console, that run the same content ....would sell better than a $299 hybrid IMO.

I don't see how it can be less than 249. And even that would be good news.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
So are they going to make a console too or is this probably their plan going forward? A handheld that connects to the TV.

I guess that, based on what Iwata has said in 2015, that's at least an open possibility.

http://www.wired.com/2015/03/nintendo-nx-analysis/

In case anyone in the audience was thinking that what Iwata was discussing was the merging of home consoles and handhelds into one single successor device, he was quick to put the kibosh on that. “I am not sure if the form factor (the size and configuration of the hardware) will be integrated,” he said. “In contrast, the number of form factors might increase.”

“Currently, we can only provide two form factors because if we had three or four different architectures, we would face serious shortages of software on every platform,” he said. But if Nintendo had one unified platform like Apple’s iOS, Iwata said, it could actually create more than just two different game machines each cycle. “To cite a specific case, Apple is able to release smart devices with various form factors one after another because there is one way of programming adopted by all platforms.”

“Another example is Android. Though there are various models, Android does not face software shortages because there is one common way of programming on the Android platform that works with various models. The point is, Nintendo platforms should be like those two examples.”

In conclusion, he did not rule out the possibility of a future in which Nintendo does only make a single form factor that’s used for multiple purposes: “Whether we will ultimately need just one device will be determined by what consumers demand in the future, and that is not something we know at the moment.”

For now, it will probably just be the handheld-hybrid.

However, it seems possible that they will build variants of NX that use the same architecture and thus can play all games, but might come in different form factors (cheaper "NXTV" without screen and battery) or higher specs (future "NX2" with a faster Tegra variant).

Ennosuke

I love the Hybrid idea. I think it is the perfect idea. To have 3DS and Wii U content on one console, would have been perfect. Definitely enough content and Wii U games looked great, despite the weak hardware power.

Boney

Banned
So this is based on their own sources huh?

Wonder who supposedely leaked everything nx to everybody last week.

I honestly think Nintendo shouldn't care about third parties. Focusing on one platform instead of 2 means that Nintendo probably can keep their fans happy software wise without any third-party support. And if the console is a success some third parties will come regardless. There is very little Nintendo can do about this themselves at this point. They should basically plan for the worst and expect to be the only ones carrying the torch. And why do you even care about third parties? Most of us already have either a PC, Xbox one or PC. The NX could become the perfect second home console/platform and primary handheld in the market. There's money in that, potentially lots. Nintendo will probably never be dominant in the console space again, and that's fine.

I am super curious about the dock. And also, when using it at home, how will it work exactly? If it's a stationary dock that plugs into the TV with an HDMI, wouldn't you need at least one proper controller in the box to even play on your TV? (Since the dock would probably be near the TV, not near the couch where the player is sitting.)

I would suggest the following SKUs:

1. The handheld alone for 199 USD.
2. The handheld plus dock and one wireless pro controller for 249 USD

Obviously these prices are quite aggressive, and they probably won't have a huge profit margin on the hardware . But as long as they're not losing money it's a great start, and their margins will probably improve as the parts get cheaper to produce.

It also makes a lot of sense for the chip to clock down while in handheld mode. 720p is good enough for the screen I think. And the dock could probably include some sort of fan as well, although I'm not sure about that.

If it's supposed to transfer wirelessly from the dock to the TV, why are we even talking about a dock? Shouldn't the transmitter for he signal just be in the handheld, which then transmits to a receiver dongle that's plugged into the TV?

Personally I hope that they go for a proper dock with cable . Wireless always brings some compromise.

Ahh, i haven't been this excited about a console reveal since the Wii. I want to know more now! :p

Lucifon

So this is based on their own sources huh?

Wonder who supposedely leaked everything nx to everybody last week.

All it takes is a few third party devs speaking to other people and the word can spread. People in the industry definitely talk to other people in the industry. It's almost impossible for the word not to leak out there.

Taker666

You know, english isn't my first language but i'm pretty sure i know the meaning of the word "if".

Also, i don't give a fuck. So i'm not sure how am i supposed to be underwhelmed. I'm merely speculating based on what we know and what we (and DF) think can happen.

I don't see how it can be less than 249. And even that would be good news.

It would be terrible news.

Over $200 and it'll bomb in the handheld market (3DS certainly did until a significant price cut)...and it'll bomb in the console market (if it's weaker but close to the same price as PS4 and XB1).

People can argue that it's better value because it's both a handheld and a home console...but a big chunk of consumers just want one or the other, the "added value" will mean nothing to them.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
What about something like this.

In handheld mode, its got the modified Tegra X1 or Tegra X2. To give it decent battery life, in handheld mode the GPU is clocked in such a way that developers get about 256 GFlops performance. That's half of what X1 does in Shield TV plugged into the wall. The screen is 540p, same as PS Vita, but still ~10x the GPU power.of VITA (26 GFlops).

The dock contains another Tegra processor, same as the one in the handheld. But when docked, the two processors operate together and clock speed is twice as high, meaning 4x the GPU performance of the handheld alone, thus 1 TF and nearly XboxOne level performance, and upto 1080p resolution (4x the handheld's native screen resolution.) Games are developed with scalable assets, more impressive on HDTV, can get current gen ports. Amazing handheld / portable system.

Would that be feasible ?

Single SKU.

I like this.

breakfuss

I honestly think Nintendo shouldn't care about third parties. Focusing on one platform instead of 2 means that Nintendo probably can keep their fans happy software wise without any third-party support. And if the console is a success some third parties will come regardless. There is very little Nintendo can do about this themselves at this point. They should basically plan for the worst and expect to be the only ones carrying the torch. And why do you even care about third parties? The NX could become the perfect second home console and primary handheld in the market. There's money in that. Nintendo will probably never be dominant in the console space again, and that's fine.

I am super curious about the dock. And also, when using it at home, how will it work exactly? If it's a stationary dock that plugs into the TV with an HDMI, wouldn't you need at least one proper controller in the box to even play on your TV? (Since the dock would probably be near the TV)

I would suggest the following SKUs:

1. The handheld alone for 199 USD.
2. The handheld plus dock and one wireless pro controller for 249 USD

Obviously these prices are quite aggressive, and they probably won't have a huge profit margin on the hardware . But as long as they're not losing money it's a great start, and their margins will probably improve as the parts get cheaper to produce.

It also makes a lot of sense for the chip to clock down while in handheld mode. 720p is good enough for the screen I think. And the dock could probably include some sort of fan as well, although I'm not sure about that.

If it's supposed to transfer wirelessly from the dock to the TV, why are we even talking about a dock? Shouldn't the transmitter for he signal just be in the handheld, which then transmits to a receiver dongle that's plugged into the TV?

Personally I hope that they go for a proper dock with cable . Wireless always brings some compromise.

Lol @ those prices. Insanity.

I think the gamble is will people actually use the console as a hybrid, as Nintendo has intended?

I could see a lot of kids, families, etc. not taking the time to dock the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom