• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF on Zelda Switch: Docked has major frame drops, portable doesn't (no score talk)

jett

D-Member
Was it addressed whether or not this is something that can/will be patched? I'm at work :s

reggieshrugsitoff580.jpg

Who knows.

Soi-Fong

I think it says a lot though, that even with these performance issues, it did not affect the scores at all. Any other game would have been hammered. Bloodborne I remember took a hit in scores because of its performance issues.

More disappointing too considering Horizon's rock solid performance.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
It bumps the resolution, meaning it makes performance worse.

Except the GPU clock increase in docked mode theoretically means it should be able to up the resolution while keeping the same level of performance. For some godforsaken reason that's not happening. Memory bandwidth seems the most likely culprit, which means this console (handheld) is gonna be shit for resolutions over 720p.

Theorry

any breakdown of increased draw distance, increased detail/shadows - anything? Because even if portable mode is using the rumoured increased clocks, 900p is only 50% more pixels and docked mode should be minimum 2x GPU clock speed.

It just doesn't make sense.

Its more the same really for both versions.

NSESN

It looks like Nintendo is prioritizing portable performance before docked performance. The Splatoon 2 and Mario Odissey demos are in a similar position, perfect undocked, no resolution bump docked. For me it's good because i see it as handheld that I can play on my TV, but it sure will be disappointing for people expecting great thing for the docked mode.

But have we seen 98 rated games with performance this bad?
There's only about 5 games with that same meta score. The only game above run at 20 fps

Skyzard

Banned
No wonder I was getting OoT flashbacks at the switch event.

Luckily WiiU version feels a lot smoother, looks great and the undocked switch version is good too.

Hope they do a comparison vs WiiU and show villages.

dmr87

Drops down to 20 fps by running down a hill in the starting area, I can't imagine what'll happen later on in the game.

I've noticed the fps issues but apart from that the game looks beautiful to me. I guess I'm just blind to aliasing issues because the game looks great both undocked and docked. I'm gonna stay away from videos like these because they might make the problems more apparent and sour my experience. Still don't know what frame pacing is and my experience with bloodborne was nice and smooth because of that.

Interfectum

Yeah I was noticing very weird drops in just completely random locations. I think this can and will be patched soon, I don't think it'll stay this way

That's what I've seen too. In docked mode I could be doing nothing and the framerate would take a sudden dip then go back up for no reason.

shtolky

Based on the reviews, it sounds like the game is so good that the frame rate issues don't hamper the overall experience. I would rather have an all time classic dip occasionally than a decent game run at a smooth 60fps. I can't wait to play it later.

Skulldead

If this was not Zelda it would have been hammered.

This is sad to tell, but this is freaking true... I could say the same thing for review score, but this is not the subject of this thread.

I could simple change : This was not a Nintendo game it would have been hammered.

Malus

Really starting to feel tempted to wait for potential patch news. Kind of funny since I've played and enjoyed plenty of games with performance issues before, but it'd be nice to play Zelda at its best.

Or maybe I'll play portable mode but that's a last resort.

edit: I see people are discrediting the review scores already lol

I think it says a lot though, that even with these performance issues, it did not affect the scores at all. Any other game would have been hammered. Bloodborne I remember took a hit in scores because of its performance issues.

More disappointing too considering Horizon's rock solid performance.

It did affect the scores though, many reviews mentioned the performance issues and highlighted them as the major significant issue the game has.

I don't really get why folks are so hung up on the review score anyway. It's a throwaway number. Read the text, it's where the game is actually reviewed and quantified.

nkarafo

Is the WiiU version smoother than the Docked Switch mode then?

I wouldn't want to play this game in portable mode. I want to play this game on the big screen.

Instro

To my untrained mind this seems like a fairly simple thing to fix.

Well they would either need to adjust their vsync implementation or improve performance such that there are no framedrops. If the former is not easily possible, that might explain the reason for 900p vs 1080p as well I suppose.

I'm sure someone with more technical knowledge can provide more detail.

I've noticed the fps issues but apart from that the game looks beautiful to me. I guess I'm just blind to aliasing issues because the game looks great both undocked and docked. I'm gonna stay away from videos like these because they might make the problems more apparent and sour my experience. Still don't know what frame pacing is and my experience with bloodborne was nice and smooth because of that.

Get out of here and save yourself before it's too late.

NotLiquid

If this was not Zelda it would have been hammered.

Would it? GTA V's performance on last-gen consoles was questionable at best, but that got critically acclaimed as well.

Unless you want to change the narrative to "if this wasn't -popular franchise- it would have been hammered".

RoadHazard

Gold Member
They're also clearly using the simplest, shittiest v-sync solution. The game might be running at 29.9 fps under the hood, but because of v-sync it drops right down to 20 and stays there. TLDR; Triple buffering, pls.

Top Bottom