• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF on Zelda Switch: Docked has major frame drops, portable doesn't (no score talk)

ckaneo

You do that. While reasonable people will hold Nintendo accountable for Zelda's shoddy performance in docked mode.
My sentiment is about people thinking docked mode games run better in general than portable games. That was never proven, stated, or really suggested, except from clock speed rumors."Surprising" results.

Obviously Zelda's performance is Nintendo's fault.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Trying to sell this thing as a home console was a huge mistake. Messaging is important from the start and Nintendo chose to forgo "HOLY SHIT THIS THING IS THE MOST POWERFUL PORTABLE EVER!" headlines in favour of "It's the worst home console on the market".

They did it because marketing it as a handheld would make it seem like Nintendo has bowed out of the home console market. Which they have. They just don't want to make it that obvious.

How big is the difference between Wiiu and switch version? If Wii u version is good then my Wii u might get some playtime again after more than couple of years.

burgerdog

Ugh, I really want to play this on my oled but if performance is going to suck that much then I'll just have to play it in portable mode.

What happens if you set the switch to 720p resolution at the OS level? Will docked still run at 900p, downsample to 720p and then tv upscale to 1080p/2160p?

If issues like this were not overlooked, it would not be sitting at 98. #commonsense.

They weren't overlooked. Read the reviews. Almost every outlet talks about them.

They also say that they don't impact the game enough to lower the score. Because the game is that good.

We also have a number of journalists stating that, for some reason, framerate dips occur less frequently after the Great Plateau region (shown in this video).

x-Lundz-x

Pretty bad, but when I do get a switch it's going to only used in handheld mode anyway. Sucks for those that want it as a home console, pretty clear it can't handle trying to get to 900-1080P.

If issues like this were not overlooked, it would not be sitting at 98. #commonsense.

this dude's talking about common sense but you can tell he hasn't read a single one of the reviews

because almost every one of them mentions the framerate as something they were able to overlook

but

yknow

#commonsense

Tecnniqe

Banned
17098274_10210942378369435_8670639736504454731_n.jpg

giphy.gif

Abysmal performance. 98 and this performance is ridiculous...

That is essentially what I am saying. And I am sure the game itself is fantastic, but issues like this were obviously overlooked, else it would not be sitting at 98. The proof is in the pudding.

You judge a piece of art based on how it affects you. The glowing reviews are having such a good time with the game they don't feel the FPS detracts much if at all.

Not sure why this is hard to understand.

I don't think back to my experience with OoT and consider the FPS, I think of seeing the Great Deku Tree for the first time or riding Epona or swimming in Lake Hylia. That's why it's considered one of the greatest games of all times. It sounds like BotW is filled with even more of those moments.

pswii60

Trying to sell this thing as a home console was a huge mistake. Messaging is important from the start and Nintendo chose to forgo "HOLY SHIT THIS THING IS THE MOST POWERFUL PORTABLE EVER!" headlines in favour of "It's the worst home console on the market".
That didn't help Vita though.

Peroroncino

Pretty disappointing to see. :/

I don't like playing vast games on a smaller screen. I hope by the time I buy a switch it's gonna be ironed out.

Why did GTA get such rave reviews on PS3 and 360?

OH IT MUST BE BECAUSE IT'S GTA

and literally no other reason! It got high ratings SOLELY because it's called GTA. If it was called Violent Carjackers, nobody would have given it a second look. It'd be 88 on metacritic right now.
After all, look at those performance issues!

morons.
And Witcher 3 before being patched. And all Souls games. And all Bethesda games. And most of the PS360 games. Plus, those sweet game breaking glitches.
But this got one point too much on metacritic so we should all agree that there is some Zelda bias in gaming journalism.

Isn't docked supposed to provide more power? Like come on now. Ninty usually puts so much effort into performance.

Yes, and it shows in something like Mario Kart 8 where the docked resolution is doubled (720p->1080p) without affecting the frame rate. So something is going on with Zelda.

Mikey Jr.

Remember when people were saying the dock had like some secret gpu and CPU in it to boost performance?

Good times.

jotun?

This type of comment is so obnoxious.

20 fps has ALWAYS been a bummer. Why do people always feel the need to say "in 2017", like a smooth framerate is some modern thing?

I see nothing wrong with their comment. What they mean is that with technology nowadays - as it's obvious better each year - we shouldn't be dipping that low.

It has nothing to do with technology. It has everything to do with dev time and priorities.

I agree that it has little to do with technology. But if it has "ALWAYS been a bummer", then it sucks that we still haven't learned to avoid it. Each year that goes by without it becoming a bigger priority just makes it more frustrating.

They weren't overlooked. Read the reviews. Almost every outlets talks about them.

They also say that they don't impact the game enough to lower the score. Because the game is that good.

You mean the text of a review contains nuance and makes a point about the game's quality, but with qualifications? They actually mention negatives (like performance) and then explain how they factor into the experience? Butter my biscuits! Maybe there is something to this "reviewing" after all!

They did it because marketing it as a handheld would make it seem like Nintendo has bowed out of the home console market. Which they have. They just don't want to make it that obvious.
It's marketed as a hybrid. Even if they call it a home console, the portability is a big aspect of it. It's not just a handheld either. It's clearly designed to be both.

hampig

Maybe the framerate issues aren't that big of a deal, and don't detract from the experience? GAF is so good at making mountains out of molehills.

LotusHD

Banned
They weren't overlooked. Read the reviews. Almost every outlet talks about them.

This. There's really nothing other to say other than to hope Nintendo fixes this ASAP.

In the meantime:

FflohQi.gif

Skyzard

Banned
Do you get the freeze-frame game halting on undocked as well?

what about the Wii U version? same as docked mode?

Not from what I played of the switch at the event (it feels a lot better on wiiu than docked) but they said at the end of the video they'll do a comparison as soon as they can get a copy...

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.

Imagine how much cheaper the thing would be as just a portable, no dumb JoyCon shit and HD rumble or whatever. Plop an HDMI out on it to just fart out 720p and sell the Pro controller & dock separately as the "NOW ITS A CONSOLE TOO" solution.

Would be off to a far stronger start I can tell you that.

What's the reason this thing has a dock and can plug into a TV again?

It should have just been a damn normal portable. This hybrid concept is already a flaming trainwreck. It's such a shitty home console compared to the PS4 and Bone.

Prithee Be Careful

Industry Professional
This is embarrassing for Nintendo.

It's a hugely ambitious game running a on tight hardware budget, I don't think Nintendo need to feel too embarrassed about it. With better optimisation solutions for the new hardware it's bound to improve in the long term.

The dozens of journalists who gave it a gushing, perfect score without noting that it runs a bit like ass in docked mode though, yeah they ought to feel a bit embarrassed.

If this had've been a Ubi game tanking to 20 fps, you know it've been docked points.

trixx

why not have an option to output 720 in docked as well with stable or higher framerate. Would rather have stable frame rate than the resolution boost.

My sentiment is about people thinking docked mode games run better in general than portable games. That was never proven, stated, or really suggested, except from clock speed rumors."Surprising" results.

Obviously Zelda's performance is Nintendo's fault.

What has that got to do with Zelda's docked performance? The onus is on Nintendo to at least provide standard performing experience in both modes.

Rodin

Being a quick port, and considering that the gpu clocks 2.25x higher when docked, they likely had issues with bandwidth optimization from a vastly different RAM configuration because no way that the GPU has problems in 900p considering 720p performances are so stable. It's really unfortunate and i hope they'll be able to address this, but the hyperbolic comments in here make it look like it's running at a constant 20fps, which isn't the case.

NSESN

For people talking that it should get a worse score becuase of performance, does the portable mode deserves a better score then?

ironcreed

Banned
They weren't overlooked. Read the reviews. Almost every outlets talks about them.

Yeah, I am sure it is indeed great. That is not in dispute. But I still think that it gets more leeway because it is a darling and that is where I am going to leave it.

At any rate, moving on. The only interest I had in Switch was it's ability as a home console. It fails on every front compared to the competition and is even more expensive.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
yeah it can't be highly rated because it's a solid game
after all there's never been a highly rated game that had performance issues that people were willing to overlook

seriously, shit's a gamefaqs console wars level sentiment. y'all can keep trotting it out as long as you like looking stupid

And its not like there's a reason Zelda games are held in high regard either. They just randomly decided to give 'em high ratings. Not that it's a series full of amazing games.

Jedi2016

The only question now is whether or not they'll do anything about it.

Also, did anyone else notice that the 720p screenshots from portable mode seem to be a lot more compressed than the 900p shots? JPEG artifacts all over the place. Or do you think they were using stills from their capture for the 900p instead of the built-in screenshot feature? Need a PNG option stat.

Maybe the framerate issues aren't that big of a deal, and don't detract from the experience? GAF is so good at making mountains out of molehills.

Or maybe they are a big deal to the people who know that performance issues do detract from the experience for them?

Top Bottom