• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF Performance Analysis: Dark Souls 2 The Scholar of the First Sin (PS4 vs. XB1)

Liamc723

wiPb6so.png

"Just".

That's a much more severe performance gap than we've seen in recent times on these two machines.

...The only thing that table is displaying is frame-rate drops. So yes, "just" that.

Carn82

even when running 2560x1440. Admittedly never checked my FPS on PC but I think it was pretty stable around 60, GTX 670 and i5-750@ 4Ghz.

yeah, but compared to the consoles that's cracking a nut with a sledgehammer. The consoles hammer is more on the small and cheap side.. I think a lot of people forget that PS4/X1 CPU's dont even come close to i5 performance.

Seanspeed

Banned
Bloodborne is a 30fps game and DS2: SotFS is a 60fps game so this is a really dumb comparison to draw. This must be upsetting for you.
You really missed the point of the comment. And no one was acting upset, what are you talking about? :/

Framerate sometimes dips below 60 on my system for some inexplicable reason.
4770k (stock), GTX 970.
347.88 drivers.

That really should not happen. I can run DS2 @4k without dips on my 3770K+970.

wiPb6so.png

"Just".

That's a much more severe performance gap than we've seen in recent times on these two machines.

Well, it is what happens when you use the same resolution in a semi demanding game.

Going to love to see people who praise bloodborne harp on the frame dips That don't go below it's highest framerate.

What a mature statement. Personally I criticized BB a lot on this forum for the tech issues, but it is still a great game. Same for DS2 obviously.

Problems with the console versions it seems, but it sounds like the XB1 version especially really sucks in comparison to the PS4 one.

The PS4 is terrific. Small barely noticeable framerate drops that occur only 1.4% of the time is neglible. The game is locked at 60 fps.

Shredderi

Will be interesting to see a rundown of the new, enhanced graphics. Wish they would have implemented the original lighting quality. The ports seem pretty good except for XB1 frame drops.

They really should both be at a locked 60 but that is expecting a lot for FS to pull off. I played it on PC and phew aside from a couple nice areas it is one ugly looking game.

The PS4 is terrific. Small barely noticeable framerate drops that occur only 1.4% of the time is neglible. The game is locked at 60 fps.

In an FCAT article, 1.4% frametime percentage from 60 would spawn like 3 follow up articles and a small war on Guru3d. It is a matter of perspective to be honest.

I would not use the term "locked @ 60."

bombshell

Yeah I'm glad you like your console so much that you need to pointlessly defend how it runs the game better under stress than the other console does,

while all that gaffer was saying is that even the Xbone version runs DkS2 better under stress than last gen did at best.

Well, excuse me for simply stating that it's only on one version that the framerate drops as low as 36 fps. If that's "pointlessly defending a console" in a thread about game performance, then you should probably not be in this thread.

DALBEN

Banned
Horrible remaster, almost the same graphic and they cant lock on 60 fps.

Disappointed at my x1 version.

Bloodrage

Banned
Xbox One pays a persistent price for matching the PS4's visual standard. Both formats target 60fps and engage v-sync at all times, but Microsoft's platform suffers the greater drops between the two in each scene of our frame-rate analysis.
The gap is closing amirite

Dark Souls 2 is pretty ugly, so it's quite shocking to know Xbone couldn't handle it at 1080p/60.

Syrus

Banned
Shrugs, im fine with this. Neither is locked by any means, one is a clear winner but both look amazing and easily playable

It is quite clearly not a 'locked' 60fps. Let's not water that term down now.

Yeah ok. Framerate drops to 58 fps as the video showed which is undectable that only occurs a little over 1% of the time is locked at 60. The amount of needless overhead they would need just make sure those rare instances of a 2 to 3 drops in fame would be a waste of time and resources.

bombshell

Doesn't matter what it looks like.

If 30fps dipping to the 20's constantly isn't a issue then yes it will be funny if the same people overreact here.

Are you describing Bloodborne's performance there? Because that's not the results Digital Foundry came to.

Bloodborne is the most stable souls game yet on consoles. It only has very minor framerate problems in single player. The bigger issue is in its framerate pacing, which definitely needs to be fixed.

Going to love to see people who praise bloodborne harp on the frame dips That don't go below it's highest framerate.

I also find it amazing how you know Bloodborne's highest possible framerate, when it's capped at 30.

Seanspeed

Banned
The gap is closing amirite
No one said anything about a gap closing here. Is this comment the least bit relevant or necessary?

Anyways, XB1 performance is getting ragged on, and it's clearly not great, but watching the video, drops to under 40fps look exceedingly rare. It seems to average in the 50's still, which would put it in line with something like Tomb Raider DE on PS4.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Seanspeed said:
It is quite clearly not a 'locked' 60fps. Let's not water that term down now.
Prior to DF style testing, the term was defined solely on perceptual impressions - and 1% is something that is entirely possible to go unnoticed, especially if frames are relatively evenly spread out.
Not saying that's the case in this game mind you - but to water the term down we'd need a more solid historical precedent first.

wrowa

Haven't really paid attention to this until I saw it in a local store yesterday. It's safe for me to assume that the remaster still doesn't look as good as the original bullshots, right?

Seanspeed

Banned
Yeah ok. Framerate drops to 58 fps as the video showed which is undectable that only occurs a little over 1% of the time is locked at 60. The amount of needless overhead they would need just make sure those rare instances of a 2 to 3 drops in fame would be a waste of time and resources.
Have you not watched the video?

PS4 framerate drops lower than that and for more than just a blip at times. In certain combat situations, it was regularly dipping into the low 50's.

You're greatly downplaying the drops here.

If 30fps dipping to the 20's constantly isn't a issue then yes it will be funny if the same people overreact here.

Isn't it a bit pathetic to bring Bloodborne into this thread and making wishful predictions on overreactions?

Have you not watched the video?

PS4 framerate drops lower than that and for more than just a blip at times. In certain combat situations, it was regularly dipping into the low 50's.

You're greatly downplaying the drops here.

Ehhhh, no not really. Again a piece meal rare instant of a minor drop thats not detectable by the naked eye is not a reason to say the game doesn't run at 60. And for all intents and purposes it is a locked 60.

No that definitely is an issue, what I am saying is people will make concessions based on what a game looks like all the time. Come on you have to know that. BB performs better out the gate than any other Souls title at launch so yeah do we wish it was a locked 30? Of course! Are we shocked it isn't? No.

DS2 on the other hand should be an effortless 60

Ehhhh, no not really. Again a piece meal rare instant of a minor drop thats not detectable by the naked eye is not a reason to say the game doesn't run at 60. And for all intents and purposes it is a locked 60.

Arguing stuff like that in a technical thread will lead only to trouble.

ps3ud0

Do you guys really think FROM didnt make the XO version 900p because of 'resolutiongate'? Seems far-fetched, though 900p would have seemed to be a suitable compromise IMO considering the DF findings

Still another remastered title that doesnt really achieve much better than the original game (as in it still has similar multiple compromises)

Skipped this last gen so its a welcome remaster for me though

ps3ud0 8)

pixlexic

Banned
Isn't it a bit pathetic to bring Bloodborne into this thread and making wishful predictions on overreactions?

Not at all. In fact it's very relevant concidering they are the same type of game from the same developer. Even more so if someone wants to call one version horrible for it.

Arguing stuff like that in a technical thread will lead only to trouble.

I always thought that technically a lock is a maximum as ensuring a minimum frame rate is impossible. Is there some four nines style standard for specifying a game as having a locked frame rate?

hodgy100

why are people suprised this isnt a perfect 60fps and that the AA is jsut fxaa?

these consoles arent powerful why are you suprised!

NewDust

Saw in the video that the Xbox one's lowest frame drop occured while unlocking an achievement. DF blames the visual effects outright, but I can imagine the cheevo popping can just add a liitle more stress to the system, lowering the frame rate more than otherwise. Does anyone with an Xbone now if this might be the case? Any other occurrences of 'achievement slowdown'?

I always thought that technically a lock is a maximum as ensuring a minimum frame rate is impossible. Is there some four nines style standard for specifying a game as having a locked frame rate?

I would just refer to the english word "locked." When a door is locked, it doesnt allow anything to cross its threshhold. 60 is 60 is 60 is 60.

Personally, if it had the occasional (1 time every 2 minutes) short CPU related blip to 59 fps, I would sy it is pretty close to locked. But entire gameplay sections being in the 50s is not IMO.

UnrealEck

The PS4 is terrific....The game is locked at 60 fps.
No, it's not locked at 60.

Yeah, looking at the framerate comparison video, whenever there's enemies around the Xbox One version drops below 60 fps immediately.
Framerate drops below 60 immediately on PS4 as well depending on how many enemies there are. (only a couple more)

Dark Souls 2 is pretty ugly, so it's quite shocking to know Xbone couldn't handle it at 1080p/60.
Neither can the PS4.

I didn't really expect much honesty and unbias in a DF performance thread.

Nephtes

Saw in the video that the Xbox one's lowest frame drop occured while unlocking an achievement. DF blames the visual effects outright, but I can imagine the cheevo popping can just add a liitle more stress to the system, lowering the frame rate more than otherwise. Does anyone with an Xbone now if this might be the case? Any other occurrences of 'achievement slowdown'?

The lowest frame drop everyone keeps quoting also didn't happen during the boss fight. It happened on victory when the character aquired the boss's souls. During the boss fight, the frame rates for both consoles were much closer.

Top Bottom