• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF Performance Analysis: Dark Souls 2 The Scholar of the First Sin (PS4 vs. XB1)

UnrealEck

AF problems solved for PS4?

First thing I checked in the screenshot tool was AF and it seems to be identical on both systems, both using some amount of AF. In fact the graphics look identical on both systems.
The only difference I can tell is the framerate, which is rather obvious.

Do you guys think From will target 60 fps for Dark Souls 3 ( Ps4 and One of course) ?

I'd put a bet on it that they won't. BB wasn't and DS3 might even have better graphics on PS4 than BB does. I expect a 30 FPS target again on consoles.

BPoole

Hopefully they'll get those fixed, only issue I've had so far is really long wait times in Chalice summoning..

No one posted impressions when they played the PC version after PS3/XB360? I personally didn't "feel" much difference in the FPS other than weapons broke faster, and I ran it 2560x1440 on PC so it looked LOT cleaner, but preferred the experience on PS3 because I encountered one too many cheater invading me on PC, of course I played it on PS3 first so that might be the cause too.
There was a 60fps mod for Dark Souls 1 for PC, being only the second Souls game in the series.

At this point, we have had Demon's Souls, both Dark Souls, and Bloodborne all at 30fps, and I imagine many console games have not experienced a Souls games in 60fps before.

hodgy100

I would just refer to the english word "locked." When a door is locked, it doesnt allow anything to cross its threshhold. 60 is 60 is 60 is 60.

Personally, if it had the occasional (1 time every 2 minutes) short CPU related blip to 59 fps, I would sy it is pretty close to locked. But entire gameplay sections being in the 50s is not IMO.

to use your door example. You can still smash through a locked door with enough force unless you re enforce the door (in this example lots of unused resources (gpu time, cpu time, memory).

NewDust

to use your door example. You can still smash through a locked door with enough force unless you re enforce the door (in this example lots of unused resources (gpu time, cpu time, memory).
When you bust through the door, would you still qualify it as locked?

Loris146

First thing I checked in the screenshot tool was AF and it seems to be identical on both systems, both using some amount of AF. In fact the graphics look identical on both systems.
The only difference I can tell is the framerate, which is rather obvious.

I'd put a bet on it that they won't. BB wasn't and DS3 might even have better graphics on PS4 than BB does. I expect a 30 FPS target again on consoles.

We'll see. I hope they won't downgrade anything this time.

RootCause

Isn't it a bit pathetic to bring Bloodborne into this thread and making wishful predictions on overreactions?
Wouldn't go as far as pathetic, but it sure falls under derailing.

On topic
Big improvement compared to the original release on last gen systems(going by video tests, never played it myself). The choice is simple. Go for the ps4 version if you can. Not attempting to downplay anything, but 36 at its lowest doesn't seem that bad. Would dropping to 900P improve the fps in this case?

I've got $30 credit on gs. So I'll pick it up once I've had my fill of BB.

The lowest frame drop everyone keeps quoting also didn't happen during the boss fight. It happened on victory when the character aquired the boss's souls. During the boss fight, the frame rates for both consoles were much closer.

If that's the case then I'll buy the XB1 version, it's not a big deal to me. Can't see the video right now.

Derpcrawler

Whilst true, drops from 30fps to 20fps are going to be just as noticeable as drops from 60fps to 34fps. Obviously you'll still have better input response with the latter, which is a big advantage, but in terms of the aesthetic experience, you're going to feel a massive difference with the drop all the same.

Honestly, I think they should have just dropped the Xbox One version to 900p. Not sure why they decided to keep it 1080p.

The lowest it dropped (36FPS) was during cutscene, boss fight itself was almost locked 60FPS. Then it dropped to 30s again when achievement poped after the fight.

It might be just a streaming issue I think coupled with heavy effects during cutscenes.

People are exaggerating the drops, from gameplay parts Xbox version drops to 40s, PS4 drops to 50s. Not a big deal.

no maam

Banned
How can they release these console games with frame drops that bad? I can move my seat back a few feet to neglect 900/720p, but my eyes will always see shitty frame rates. I Want to say it's the weak consoles, but there are games out there that do run a solid 60(I think). From now on I'm only paying the developers by how many fps their game has.

MrWisker

Could have gotten it on the PS4 but opted to get the game for the XBOX One. Wanted to give my MS box some love. Also, I have the consoles hooked up to different TVs in the house so I can get me some From Software love no matter if the kids are occupying one of the TVs.

Nephtes

The lowest it dropped (36FPS) was during cutscene, boss fight itself was almost locked 60FPS. Then it dropped to 30s again when achievement poped after the fight.

It might be just a streaming issue I think coupled with heavy effects during cutscenes.

People are exaggerating the drops, from gameplay parts Xbox version drops to 40s, PS4 drops to 50s. Not a big deal.

I've put in an inquiry to DF to see if the can retest with a profile that already has the achievement to determine if that was the cause of the slowdown. The graphical effect going on at the time didn't look like it should have had that severe of a drop compared to what the rest of the test showed gameplay in the 40's-50's.

Makes me question how the achievement system is set up on XOne...

Oemenia

Banned
How can they release these console games with frame drops that bad? I can move my seat back a few feet to neglect 900/720p, but my eyes will always see shitty frame rates. I Want to say it's the weak consoles, but there are games out there that do run a solid 60(I think). From now on I'm only paying the developers by how many fps their game has.
I do wish developers would let you lower the resolution from the console settings rather than downscaling.

Journey

Banned
Whilst true, drops from 30fps to 20fps are going to be just as noticeable as drops from 60fps to 34fps. Obviously you'll still have better input response with the latter, which is a big advantage, but in terms of the aesthetic experience, you're going to feel a massive difference with the drop all the same.

Honestly, I think they should have just dropped the Xbox One version to 900p. Not sure why they decided to keep it 1080p.

Not really, drops from 60fps are less noticeably than drops from 30fps, in fact you can drop all the way down to 30fps and still play fine even if you can notice it, but drop from 30 to 15 and it becomes an unplayable slideshow. Also, the developer felt that that game performed well enough, and in a blind test I'm sure most people would be fine. They don't need to switch their target for the sake of DF analysis or for framerate parity with PS4. Many people have made clear that as long as a game is above 30fps and matches the native resolution of their 1080p displays, that they're perfectly fine with that target. I personally don't mind 900p but at the same time am happy with decisions like keeping Bloodbourne at 1080p even if it has some noticeable drops, but the point is, you can't please everyone.

Not at all. In fact it's very relevant concidering they are the same type of game from the same developer. Even more so if someone wants to call one version horrible for it.

One version? How is bloodborne a different version of Dark Souls 2 now? o_O

Whatever, you're arguing against a nice strawman here anyway. There's been no lack of criticism of Bloodborne's technical failings, even in its OT.

Maybe, just maybe people prefer the game for other reasons but I dunno.

Both formats target 60fps and engage v-sync at all times, but Microsoft's platform suffers the greater drops between the two in each scene of our frame-rate analysis. The Forest of Fallen Giants area is a good example, where a barrage of enemies causes a read-out of between 40-50fps on Xbox One, while PS4 operates within the 50-60fps range. Even while uncontested beneath the giant, arching trees of Things Betwixt, a regular margin of 10fps exists between the two - PS4 operating at a near perfect 60fps, while Xbox stutters along at 50fps.

Unfortunately this has the knock-on effect of making combat sluggish on Xbox One. In one example, an encounter with The Last Giant boss gives us our lowest drop, a record tumble to 36fps cued by a batch of floating souls. The PS4 goes entirely unruffled by the effect here, and it's fair to say the smoother controller response makes it easier to tackle a lingering knight after this boss battle's finished. Sony's machine does not produce a perfect 60fps of course, but it is a consistently better performer - and in a game that demands pinpoint timing for rolls and ripostes, the smoother frame-rate can make a difference.
PS4 clearly the better version.
Well, good! Will be bought :)

Read the article and thought that doesn't sound too bad, then watched the video.

Don't get the X1 version
Yep
Seems like a good port. I'll probab pick it up after Bloodborne
Yeah, will do the same.
After Bloodborne -> this!

pixlexic

Banned
One version? How is bloodborne a different version of Dark Souls 2 now? o_O

Whatever, you're arguing against a nice strawman here anyway. There's been no lack of criticism of Bloodborne's technical failings, even in its OT.

Maybe, just maybe people prefer the game for other reasons but I dunno.

if that's the case then there is nothing to get upset about. I just said "if" Someone harps on the framerate Here but not for bloodborne. That's the context for the comment.

That has nothing to do with not liking either game. I love both.

Going to love to see people who praise bloodborne harp on the frame dips That don't go below it's highest framerate.

I don't think you'll find many people who are completely satisfied with Bloodborne's technical performance, regardless of how much we actually like the game.

if that's the case then there is nothing to get upset about. I just said "if" Someone harps on the framerate Here but not for bloodborne. That's the context for the comment.

That has nothing to do with not liking either game. I love both.
Well thank god you brought it up in the first place. It would truly be completely absurd for someone to have different technical expectations for two games that look entirely different made on different game engines with different physics, lighting, textures, and such. Especially when one so obviously outshines the other in terms of graphical fidelity.

Thank you, pixlexic, for preemptively fighting the good fight.

FranXico

Not exactly a perfectly performing port on either console, it just performs better on the PS4.

Let's not exaggerate about the X1 frame drops, though. If you have an X1 and not a PS4, it still is quite playable.

It does beg the question, though: why did they choose to port DS2 instead of DS, since the first seems to be the one favored by the community?

pixlexic

Banned
Well thank god you brought it up in the first place. It would truly be completely absurd for someone to have different technical expectations for two games that look entirely different made on different game engines with different physics, lighting, textures, and such. Especially when one so obviously outshines the other in terms of graphical fidelity.

Thank you, pixlexic, for preemptively fighting the good fight.

You are welcome :)

Hey its Very early here. I get to have random thoughts sometime.

I've put in an inquiry to DF to see if the can retest with a profile that already has the achievement to determine if that was the cause of the slowdown. The graphical effect going on at the time didn't look like it should have had that severe of a drop compared to what the rest of the test showed gameplay in the 40's-50's.

Makes me question how the achievement system is set up on XOne...

Well did achievement pop-up make frame drop in other games too?

Yeah there are few case of good implementation but i don't like it at all :(

Do you guys think From will target 60 fps for Dark Souls 3 ( Ps4 and One of course) ?
If Bloodborne was 30 I don't see them aiming for a high frame rate over high visual density and fidelity.

Derpcrawler

As if anyone was going to do that anyway.

I am buying one for Xbox One and one for Steam, even though I have DX9 version with Season Pass. I am done with Bloodborne anyway, just couple of chalice dungeons away from Patinum trophy.

I would take Xbox Ecosystem and Achievements (or Steam for that matter) any day over PS4 versions of games. Until Sony implement account region migration and name change, I am not taking PlayStation as consumer friendly platform, just as exclusive boxes.

All I am saying messages like "Don't buy it on Xbox One" are stupid, especially if person has only Xbox One console.

ClearData

I wish they could add a graphics option that would bump it down to 900p and give players 10 to 15 fps back. In Dark Souls smooth gameplay is a must I think. Having graphics options like that is really helpful on PCs.

I wish they could add a graphics option that would bump it down to 900p and give players 10 to 15 fps back. In Dark Souls smooth gameplay is a must I think. Having graphics options like that is really helpful on PCs.

Even with the occasional framerate hiccups this game is the smoothest Souls game on consoles. The idea that smooth gameplay is a must is a funny thing to say given that it's never been smoother than this before.

vg260

At this point, I would be content if third party multiplatform games on the Xbox went for 900p instead of 1080p if it avoids a frame rate disparity.

I heard the 60fps durability glitch is still on the PC version. Does the consoles have it too? Anyone who plays on newgen and played on oldgen that can confirm?

in this version as well sadly- I have reached out to BandaiNamco rep-but havent gotten a response yet-

edit:for now just roll with multiple weapons until they hopefully address a fix

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
sounds rad - would love to play Souls at a solid frame rate but whyyyy did this release so close to BB

hopefully i'll be able to find a good deal on this soon

no maam

Banned
At this point, I would be content if third party multiplatform games on the Xbox went for 900p instead of 1080p if it avoids a frame rate disparity.
I'm with you. Make every game a solid 60fps, and let me guess the resolution. Smooth gameplay will always be better than a checkmark next to 1080p. Of course that's my opinion.

ironcreed

Banned
That will more than suffice for me on Xbox One. It sure as hell will be an upgrade from having played the PS3 version. Which I actually had no problem with, either. I'm good.

Top Bottom