• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF Retro: Legacy of Kain Soul Reaver - A Classic Revisited on PS1/PC/Dreamcast!

Joqu

It's probably more complicated than I'm assuming, but I'm surprised there isn't some PC mod for the Dreamcast models, considering it's just a few.

...There hasn't been one, right?

Rflagg

Bookmarking for later when I have more time, so glad Mama is in this since I can no longer think of soul reaver without thinking of Mama.

Fou-Lu

I've never played an LoK game. I have all the ones available on Steam but have heard they are awful ports. I would really like to play the series one day though, it sounds right down my alley.

EmiPrime

It's to CD's credit that they made a PSX game that matches the size, scope and look of a lot of PC games of that time. It's a moody style from the late 90s I have a lot of nostalgia for; when we'd have 3D games with increasingly large worlds that were still sparsely populated due to technical constraints.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
What are the issues with it?
I've never played Soul Reaver 2 and was thinking about doing so on PC.
Aside from the widescreen patch not working for me, and having to use software EAX emulation rather than hardware EAX, it seemed to be working fine up to the first save point at 5760x4320 when I tested it earlier. Unlocked framerate too.

Crashes all the time (and this game has rare save points AND unskippable cut scenes... some of which are very very long), audio glitches (SR1 was even worse on that, dynamic music didn't work and even music switching after changing area often failed), no controller support.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
You can also unlock it to beyond 60hz / 60fps. I am currently playing it at 120fps/120hz! No bugs visible as of yet! It even works with driver SGSSAA.
1920X1080 w/ no Texture Filtering and 8XSGSSAA
vlcsnap-2017-07-16-23yoszj.png
Oh that's awesome. How about control? Has anyone modded in support for analog movement? It didn't feel great when I was going through it. Also the broken music playback remains an issue.

daninthemix

Oh that's awesome. How about control? Has anyone modded in support for analog movement? It didn't feel great when I was going through it. Also the broken music playback remains an issue.

Analog movement from that era on PC is non-existant, no? I would expect mouselook, but movement was almost always WASD.

daitoqu

Also the broken music playback remains an issue.

Did you try this out?
Version 1.2.3.0 (28/03/2017)
All modifications below are optional (can be disabled in kain2.txt).
New Soung Engine for music and voice (to fix old problems with sound on some PCs).
Support of additional music tracks for locations (file music.txt).
Dynamic effects for music like on PS (under water and in the spectral realm).
Added 50 achievements (coded only 40) and interaction with Steam-API.
Added hotkey P (can be reassigned in kain2.txt) to view list of taked achievements.

I remember seeing ads for this game back during that time, but I never played it. This episode convinced me to finally give it a shot. I grabbed the PS1 version off ebay, and am looking for a Dreamcast version. I figure I'll play a bit of both and then decide which one I like better. I've been rather partial to PS1 graphics lately, so I've got a feeling I'll go that direction, especially given the supposedly better controls.

Parsnip

I think I'm going to emulate the PS1 version instead of playing the PC one.
PGXP should eliminate the wobbly textures at least.

firelogic

I remember seeing ads for this game back during that time, but I never played it. This episode convinced me to finally give it a shot. I grabbed the PS1 version off ebay, and am looking for a Dreamcast version. I figure I'll play a bit of both and then decide which one I like better. I've been rather partial to PS1 graphics lately, so I've got a feeling I'll go that direction, especially given the supposedly better controls.

Call me crazy but the PS1 has a certain charm. The PC and Dreamcast versions look better but they also kind of don't. I can't really explain it but the slightly wonky graphics "fits" PS1 but the sharper/cleaner graphics with everything looking really plain on PC/DC doesn't look that great to me.

Call me crazy but the PS1 has a certain charm. The PC and Dreamcast versions look better but they also kind of don't. I can't really explain it but the slightly wonky graphics "fits" PS1 but the sharper/cleaner graphics with everything looking really plain on PC/DC doesn't look that great to me.

I feel like really low resolution textures just look better when they're not filtered. Everything on the PS1 just looks super sharp, in a pixelated sort of way.

The_Spaniard

Netmarble
It's probably more complicated than I'm assuming, but I'm surprised there isn't some PC mod for the Dreamcast models, considering it's just a few.

...There hasn't been one, right?

That's what I asked on page 2. I own both the PC version and the DC version, but I'd play it on PC if I could just install some kind of mod with the better DC models.

Watching the video has brought back a flood of memories. Reminds me how great a game it is. I'll always cherish it. Still surprises me that they originally had something more ambitious in mind. It already seemed like a massive game to me, and I don't remember the ending feeling abrupt at all. Just shows how well Crystal Dynamics fared given the circumstances.

But hearing about all that cut content... makes me wish for a remake with its initial scope, though it would have to be made by people who know it inside-out.

Dreamcast version looks beautiful. Shame about the camera being mapped to the d-pad, and interesting nugget about the main theme song too! I love it. It's been in my head all day.

The_Spaniard

Netmarble
Stupid question, but are there a ton of spoilers in the video? I ask because I've played part way through the game several times, but just never finished, and intend to some day. I don't mind minor spoilers, such as enemies, and environments, I only really care about story stuff.

Syril

Stupid question, but are there a ton of spoilers in the video? I ask because I've played part way through the game several times, but just never finished, and intend to some day. I don't mind minor spoilers, such as enemies, and environments, I only really care about story stuff.

It spoils the ending of Soul Reaver.

Joqu

That's what I asked on page 2. I own both the PC version and the DC version, but I'd play it on PC if I could just install some kind of mod with the better DC models.

Same. Well, I'm guessing the answer is no considering no one has linked me to a mod like that. I've been searching around and I'm certainly not finding one.

:(

Analog movement from that era on PC is non-existant, no? I would expect mouselook, but movement was almost always WASD.

No, lots of games had analog movement and gamepad support. It just used direct input instead of the modern xinput (360 controls) that modern games have so most people are unfamiliar with it. It was kind of a pain to set up but it worked.

Awesome video as always!

Any of the Splinter Cell games on your to do list John? :3

Oh man, that would be a great episode. The differences between the Xbox and GCN/PS2 version are pretty big, to the extent that the later two even have a slightly altered story.

Then there's all the fun of the PC version's very specific GPU requirements for it's shadows.

Loved the video! Thought this thread would have more posts by now.

I especially enjoyed the technical details of the engine on PS1, didn't care much about the DC or PC ports, and I still prefer the look of the PlayStation version. I think I still have the disc somewhere.

Loved the cut content and story details too. And seeing the GIA website was definitely a blast from the past. My mind is blown that the site still exists but seems to have completely fell off the radar.

Lork

It was truly possible to run from one end of the world to another without seeing a single loading screen. Prior to Soul Reaver this was simply unheard of on a disc based console
Not true. King's Field 2 (released in the US as "King's Field") did it on the Playstation in 1995.

Psxphile

Not true. King's Field 2 (released in the US as "King's Field") did it on the Playstation in 1995.

I've never played it, but wasn't the original Ridge Racer completely, in its entirety, loaded into the PS1 ram and thus never required loading past the initial boot? I seem to remember reading something like that years ago.

CAR105 3

I was under the impression Dreamcast had the dynamic music as well?
I'm not sure, if anyone can confirm that the DC version has dynamic music, that would be great. I've been recomending the OG PSX edition as the definitive edition, but if DC has dynamic music it would be a very good and perhaps better than the PSX version.

Prithee Be Careful

Industry Professional
Watched this last night and it was a lovely trip down memory lane.

I had a friend who was working on a sequel to this a few years ago - a concept designer working out of a freelance studio in London. They did about six months of work on it before it eventually got canned again.

My heart was broken.

I got in my copy of the PS1 version yesterday. Was pretty excited to play it.

But then the audio started skipping. To the point that it was unintelligible, and the game wouldn't continue until the sound clip was done. It works a tad better when I play it on an actual PS1, but I'm still bummed I got a bad disk. It doesn't even look that scratched, at least not any more than I would expect from a disk of that age. I wonder if there's disk rot. It's kind of hard to tell with the black disk.

daninthemix

Ugh, this game with SRhook and DGvoodoo2 seems to be the only game that consistently crashes the Steam overlay after a few minutes. I need that for DualShock mapping of course.

trejo

That was both amazing and nostalgic and it was a nice surprise to see Mama Robotnik involved. Kudos for another excellent episode Dark10x!

Also, I know it's probably an unpopular pick but I'd still love to see an Advent Rising retro someday, lol.

Paragon

Ugh, this game with SRhook and DGvoodoo2 seems to be the only game that consistently crashes the Steam overlay after a few minutes. I need that for DualShock mapping of course.
It's possible that it's a conflict with the SRHook and dgVoodoo2 software but the Steam Big Picture Overlay crashing generally points to an unstable GPU.
I would try reducing its core/memory clocks and see if this continues to happen.
I don't know how frequently it's happening for you but I tested the game for 20-30 minutes and it didn't happen here. It was an occasional problem for me in other games and once I made this change to my overclocked 1070, I haven't had the overlay crash once.

daninthemix

It's possible that it's a conflict with the SRHook and dgVoodoo2 software but the Steam Big Picture Overlay crashing generally points to an unstable GPU.
I would try reducing its core/memory clocks and see if this continues to happen.
I don't know how frequently it's happening for you but I tested the game for 20-30 minutes and it didn't happen here. It was an occasional problem for me in other games and once I made this change to my overclocked 1070, I haven't had the overlay crash once.

Nah I don't overclock at all. BP overlay is fine in all other games.

Luigiv

No, lots of games had analog movement and gamepad support. It just used direct input instead of the modern xinput (360 controls) that modern games have so most people are unfamiliar with it. It was kind of a pain to set up but it worked.
Unfortunately it's not that simple. Even when using a dinput analogue controller, it's completely broken. Razeil (sp?) Just runs around in circles as the game has no idea how to deal with anologue axes. Really weird as I would have assumed analogue dinput controllers would have been a thing for years by 99.

Psxphile

Played up to the first battle with Kain. Can also confirm that other patch fixes the dynamic sound issue, but it's a little rough. During dialogue the sound minimizes but between lines the volume jump is a bit jarring. Still better than the alternative.

Using Xpadder isn't really a fix, more of a workaround (and a suboptimal one at that).

Not talking about Xpadder. Check the last posts in the thread.

SZips

Just a quick FYI if it hasn't already been posted, Crystal Dynamics is doing a 25th anniversary charity bundle, $1 gets you the soul reaver trilogy and Project Snowblind: https://tiltify.com/events/crystal-dynamics-25th-anniversary-campaign

(It's the Steam versions tho)

First off, I had no idea Legacy of Kain was on Steam. That's awesome!

What isn't awesome though are some of the recent reviews for it, at least for Soul Reaver. Seems as though just getting the game to run without constantly crashing on Windows 10 is like asking for a minor miracle. That's supposedly even with some unofficial patches.

Luigiv

Not talking about Xpadder. Check the last posts in the thread.

Oops my bad. Was on my mobile at the time so I missed those (the thread didn't redirect to mobile so it was hard to read). Doesn't help that EternalWolf just dropped those links without any labels or context provided.

Anyway, that's cool I'll give it a shot.

Top Bottom