• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Snake Pass PS4/Switch Comparison.

Skyzard

Banned
^ see my post. ciao

No offense, man, but if you want to keep pluggin' this, then make a thread so folks can talk all about it. Right now, this is a thread about the PS4 and NS version of the game. If you don't want to talk about that, then make a thread about what you want to talk about. The last few posts have been nothing but stuff that has nothing really to do with the topic at hand. You like the way you play? Great. Make a new thread.

I'm talking about it too, I'm saying there's a better way that solves the problems of wanting to play this handheld on the switch for some people.

I might make a thread about it if there enough games I find to work well with this method that people would be interested in. But I'm happy to inform people here.

shiyrley

Banned
I just docked my Switch to see how it looks post-patch. IQ-wise I'd say it's the same, but the new shadows are really noticeable. The game looks less plain now.

EDarkness

I just docked my Switch to see how it looks post-patch. IQ-wise I'd say it's the same, but the new shadows are really noticeable. The game looks less plain now.

Did they update the graphics in docked mode, too? I'm playing it right now and I haven't noticed anything different since I played it last night.

shiyrley

Banned
Did they update the graphics in docked mode, too? I'm playing it right now and I haven't noticed anything different since I played it last night.
Yeah, they added some shadows and DoF effects that were missing, and that applies to both docked and undocked modes.

SMDH at the Switch apologist in this thread. You guys can be happy with 475p and giving developers your hard earned money for obvious quick port jobs but fuck that there are too many platforms and other great games deserving of my money I'm not going to reward this kind of port.

If i get it I might get it on the PS4 Pro and if i want to play portable will just remote play it.

Sucks cause was going to get this on my Switch, :(
SMDH at the Sony fanboys baffled and upset that their port isn't 1080p for the base version, and that the switch is holding on its own against it.

EDarkness

Yeah, they added some shadows and DoF effects that were missing, and that applies to both docked and undocked modes.

Ah. I guess I wasn't paying the much attention before. I'll see if I can check out some early videos of the game on the NS to see if I can notice some differences.

watershed

Banned
Have the devs confirmed improved visuals for the Switch in handheld mode? I'm hopeful but not ready to take the word of a smattering of forum posts. If they did fix any visual bugs or IQ issues, I hope they would clarify that point.

Before the update:
KEpIXti.jpg

After the update:
83Gfssl.jpgl

I personally can't see any resolution change, but there are added shadows at least for the start of the game and the depth of field in the cutscenes has been added.

Edit: Comparing DF PS4 footage and the updated Switch version the shadows are the same across both versions now.
Thanks for posting these!

J.W.Crazy

Is it just me or does the frame rate seem noticeably worse after the update? At first I thought it might be that the later levels were more demanding but even on the first level it's pretty much unplayable for me now docked or undocked. Just panning the camera is super choppy.

And thus begins the internal war of docked fans vs primarily undocked fans...smh..

The internal console wars have just begun!!

PS4 vs PS4 Pro.
Switch portable vs Switch docked.
Xbox One vs Xbox Scorpio.

I'm sure PC gamers find it hilarious lol.

Personally I think Snake Pass is a technical marvel running on Switch at all when you look at it's specs vs the base PS4. A tablet vs a huge in comparison home console.

SMDH at the Switch apologist in this thread. You guys can be happy with 475p and giving developers your hard earned money for obvious quick port jobs but fuck that there are too many platforms and other great games deserving of my money I'm not going to reward this kind of port.

Switch is a tablet. Expecting parity with Xbox One or PS4 for third party games is foolish. Snake Pass is impressive on Switch for it's limited hardware.

In handheld mode Switch has 11% of the standard (fp32) GPU performance of PS4. Its running the game at the same framerate at 30% of the resolution of PS4. Yet people with no clue like the person you're replying to will vilify the developer.

Great post. 11% of the standard PS4's GPU power in portable mode. Think about that. This port is impressive.

EDarkness

No probs. Here are a couple more comparisons between the DF video and the updated game (portable mode) showing the new shadows and cutscene depth of field:

Whoa. I didn't notice that change at all. At least we know now that they did do something with the graphics. I wonder when we're going to get the Time Trial mode....

CEJames

But it's completely inappropriate for this thread and this argument.

You're expecting the experience a $200 Vita and a $700+ computer offers in a $300 device? That's not reasonable.

Doesn't even need to be a 700+ computer. PS4 streams to Vita just a fine as well. Even better with a Pro.

I hope that sub native handheld resolution doesn't become the norm for the Switch.

If it means Switch get's games that it wouldn't get if 720p were enforced by Nintendo then I hope it does. People are really getting bent out of shape that a game isn't native resolution on a 6" screen. There are Xbox One games that are 720p native that people play on 50" HDTV's... That's far worse.

notaskwid

If it means Switch get's games that it wouldn't at 720p then I hope it does. People are really getting bent out of shape that a game isn't native resolution on a 6" screen. There are Xbox One games that are 720p native that people play on 50" HDTV's...
Shit looked gross on Vita's 5" screen, looks gross here too.
Any native res game looked magnitudes better than non native on Vita.

watershed

Banned
On the topic of sub native res, I remember there was a Wii game that ran sub 480p. Was it Skyward Sword or DQ10? Something strange but obvious when you looked at it.

TLZ

Banned
It's easy: become a parent.

I guess that old claim that almost nobody on NeoGAF actually plays games is true, after all you are in the gaming section, posting on a gaming thread, telling people to stop gaming.
Thanks for putting words in my mouth.

TLZ

Banned
This isn't a system wars. You act like you're trying to sell PSVita to the people here. Are you a Sony employee ? We get that your alternative is cool, and we got it with your first post. There was no need to keep reassuring yourself that it's the best way to play it handled. The subject of this thread is the Digital Foundry comparison video between PS4 and Switch version of the game. Not the fact that you really like your Vita.

Seriously, how old are you?

The game is on ps4 and the ps4 allows remote play to vita, so for people without a switch and with a vita it's a good option/substitute to play portable-y. Sheesh calm down.

Ridley327

On the topic of sub native res, I remember there was a Wii game that ran sub 480p. Was it Skyward Sword or DQ10? Something strange but obvious when you looked at it.

A couple of Capcom's games ran at 360P, IIRC. For RE4 Wii, it looked no different from using the zoom function on your TV on the Gamecube version. Monster Hunter 3 was also lower res, but that did have the benefit of a softer art style that hid its edges a bit better than other games.

People are really getting bent out of shape that a game isn't native resolution on a 6" screen. There are Xbox One games that are 720p native that people play on 50" HDTV's... That's far worse.
No, it's not necessarily worse at all. People using 50" screens are usually 6-10x further away than from a handheld screen. This washes out most or all of the image density difference between the two situations.

watershed

Banned
A couple of Capcom's games ran at 360P, IIRC. For RE4 Wii, it looked no different from using the zoom function on your TV on the Gamecube version. Monster Hunter 3 was also lower res, but that did have the benefit of a softer art style that hid its edges a bit better than other games.

Yeah I think it was RE4 and MH that I noticed when I played them.

I hope sub native res isn't going to become common for games in handheld mode on the Switch though with the res and framerate issues Snake Pass has across PS4 and Switch, it seems more to be a developer thing.

Seriously, how old are you?

The game is on ps4 and the ps4 allows remote play to vita, so for people without a switch and with a vita it's a good option/substitute to play portable-y. Sheesh calm down.

I don't understand. The guy was talking about PC to vita, not ps4 to vita. I didn't mind his posts, but they were off topic.

Skyzard

Banned
The latency is so obvious in that it's hilarious. I'm going to guess around 120ms. We get it, you like it. But seriously, enough of the remote play on a hacked Vita nonsense.
What's obvious are the visuals when you play it this way. That latency is easily manageable with this title. I dunno, maybe I'm just really good or enjoy a challenge but I can't say I've felt like I've died due to latency and have not found it to be annoying with this. Have a look at the video and gifs again.

And if I'm okay with the latency, I know a lot of others would be too.

It's an awesome way to play and I recommend people giving this and remoteplay a try if their router connection is good. I'm looking forward to trying it out with my phone too.

Skyzard

Banned
I just played on PC at 60fps for a whole level (6), and it's a completely different experience, and not for the better. Yes, I'm serious.

60fps - you're a complete mess. A shambles of a snake. Super anxious and freaking out all over the place. It's a lot more responsive and you kinda have a lot more to take in.

Switched to 4k and 30fps... my god, so much better! Much more like the Vita gameplay I had but a tiny bit snappier. You're more of an actual snake. You make deliberate and determined movements. Also helps to to have vibration off - which it doesn't look you can do on pc. It kinda puts you off using the grip even though sometimes you need to use it for a while to hold on and it's just rinsing my batteries giving me a panic buzz.

I think it's super cool. He shows Snake Pass performing with an alternative tech option. He exploits a variety of means creatively. His passion is inspiring, you learnt something today. What's not to like?

You see passion, I see:

Enjoy 30fps and sub vita native resolution with that screen. It's cool if you can handle it. I think I'm done with playing those resolutions though.

It's 2017.
Dedicated handheld is dead without streaming imo. Just looks so dated and plain, whereas this is incredible.
I understand it makes people feel less good about the Switch but that's not a reason to block information.

Nope, not inspired. It was good to know, but his posts then turned into something else.

Skyzard

Banned
You see passion, I see:

Nope, not inspired. It was good to know, but his posts then turned into something else.

Parts of those messages were curated for the person I was responding to, who were being so shitty I responded in kind.

It's legitimately a great way to enjoy the game, and you might be able to do it, for those interested.

I've tried it on PC at 1440p 60fps, 4k 30fps and on Vita streaming at 60. It's great in each case, and I'm sticking to Vita - or maybe my phone if it performs better when the gamepad arrives.

It's rare but I actually prefer this at 4K30fps over 1440p60fps... can't think of any other game like that. It's more of a chill game, don't want it to be a twitch action platformer.

Zil33184

Multi-platform games have often been used for platform comparisons.

I'd be wary of assuming this is indicative of the norm for multiplatform software between PS4 and Switch. It's one of the lowest resolution PS4 games and for the most part didn't look like it should stress the hardware.

There some discussion going on at B3D as to whether hardware utilisation of the Switch is better than the PS4 version due to unreal being less friendly to GCN hardware out of the box. The assumption is that Sumo digital didn't do extensive work on either version and this disadvantages AMD hardware because it relies on heavy use of compute shaders to get good efficiency.

EDarkness

If be wary of assuming this is indicative of the norm for multiplatform software between PS4 and Switch. It's one of the lowest resolution PS4 games and for the most part didn't look like it should stress the hardware.

There some discussion going on at B3D as to whether hardware utilisation of the Switch is better than the PS4 version due to unreal being less friendly to GCN hardware out of the box. The assumption is that Sumo digital didn't do extensive work on either version and this disadvantages AMD hardware because it relies on heavy use of compute shaders to get good efficiency.

Isn't this always going to be the case? If the PS4 version was better than the NS version, then it could be argued that they didn't take advantage of the NS.

Zil33184

Isn't this always going to be the case? If the PS4 version was better than the NS version, then it could be argued that they didn't take advantage of the NS.

Not necessarily, since this is a particularly egregious example of PS4 underperforming. Sub 900p on PS4 is an extreme rarity, especially given what Snake Pass delivers.

The Switch port probably hasn't received special attention either, but the conjecture is that Unreal is a better fit for Nvidia hardware.

OryoN

Wasn't expecting an update this soon(if at all), so that's definitely a surprise. The fact the update came so quickly may indicate that Sumo always intended to have these featutes in the Switch version, but they just didnt have enough time, despite the incredible progress that was made in just two months or so. This is all the more impressive when you consider they are working with new hardware, with tools/software they are have yet to master. Kudos to the team for tying their very best to insure the Switch version launches alongside the others.

I wonder if this means we should expect a few other minor performance updates. The frame pacing issue comes to mind mainly, but might as well keep an eye out to see if they will adress the lacking water rippling effects, or heck, even a small resolution bump.

Poppyseed

Shit looked gross on Vita's 5" screen, looks gross here too.
Any native res game looked magnitudes better than non native on Vita.

I remember how disappointed I was that Hot Shots Golf on the Vita wasn't native. Pissed me right off, since it's not the most graphically intensive game on the Vita.

The lighting and shadows are definitely different post-patch on Switch. Did another comparison video to show the difference.

https://youtu.be/vEK2c6opsDs

Yep, huge thanks for the comparison! Not only are the shadows back in the Switch version (specifically the self-shadows cast from the environment onto Noodle), but I think it might be crisper now?

Wonder if the frame-pacing issue is also fixed. We need to light-up the Digital Foundry signal again!

Now where is that...

Ah here it is! *turns on*

Crayon

I just tried it for the first time on switch. Docked with patch. Notably low res but the as is indeed good and the framerates holds true. The image is soft (blurry) but very stable (little crawling/moire). It looks like a kids show on a DVD.

My PCs aren't very fast so I have to compromise and I often find a combination of lower res and better as is more pleasing to me. I'll go down to about 720p, tho. This game is even lower. Still, I am pleased with the result.

shiyrley

Banned
So, it's been announced that they will patch in time trials on the Switch version. That was the big elephant in the room with this version of the game, so it's cool to see that addresed. I wonder if the reason for it being absent is the fact that the Switch online infrastructure isn't finished yet? I mean, that mode is for online leaderboards, right?

Anyway this means the game will keep being updated for Switch which is cool, let's see if they try to do a little resolution bump, maybe they'll do it for all consoles at some point

f@luS

More than a member.
Just bought it on switch because I crave for game here I have just Zelda and fast rmx and I want portability. Hope I won't regret not taking PS4 pro one

Banned
Member when this was a Snake Pass thread comparing PS4 performance vs Switch performance?

I member.

Top Bottom