• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo 3 - Necromancer Pack - June 27th - $14.99

Don't know much about the NM skills and abilities, but is there a build where you can have a bunch of minions that do most of the killing for you? Kind of like the WD.

In the beta, I ran Skeletons, Skelly Mages, and Golem (later swapped him out because he was too slow). I used Devour (Devouring Aura rune) to auto pickup nearby corpses to gain Essence). Then just spam Mages, focus fire Skeletons on elites, and occasionally use Siphon Blood to get my Essence back up. I used Reaper Wraps, so I picked the passive that gives a 20% chance for a corpse to give me a health globe, so I can get more Essence and spam Mages.

This is roughly the build I used to run Torment 4 rifts: https://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/necromancer#WcdhTU!XdZa!baZZYb

You can use Revive as well for a Zookeeper build, but it's reliant on corpses (slow at the beginning) and the revives' AI kinda sucked.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
i prefer the console version above the pc version .

that direct control and auto lock just does wonders.
having a witchdoctor or necro just plays like another game on consoles

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
My biggest problem with D3 is that in order to have any challenge, you need to play through the entire game once at a difficulty that presents zero challenge.

They tried to fix this by unlocking higher difficulties from the beginning, but this doesn't work because the quality of loot scales up if you start at a higher difficulty... effectively making it actually even easier to play than if you just played at the already braindead-easy normal difficulties.

Has this changed in the past 4 months? I just get completely bored by midway through the third act and just can't press on.

Spukc

My biggest problem with D3 is that in order to have any challenge, you need to play through the entire game once at a difficulty that presents zero challenge.

They tried to fix this by unlocking higher difficulties from the beginning, but this doesn't work because the quality of loot scales up if you start at a higher difficulty... effectively making it actually even easier to play than if you just played at the already braindead-easy normal difficulties.

Has this changed in the past 4 months? I just get completely bored by midway through the third act and just can't press on.

hahah that is cute. try master with a clean char no paragon crap and gems gl with that

jchap

hahah that is cute. try master with a clean char no paragon crap and gems gl with that

Master even with no paragon and no items is very easy. I did a fresh hardcore start like this to try the Necro and it was pathetically easy.

I just go into Adventure Mode on Hard with new characters and ran Halls of Agony (Act 1, the zone where the Butcher is), because enemy density is super high there. I'd play Story up to Skeleton King to get Leoric's Crown, then socket my best ruby into there, but I wouldn't play the entire thing when Adventure Mode exists.

Basically, following this guide can get you to 70 in a day or two: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...ipexFr-zZlriuMA-4FC6Lapbkc/edit#gid=699801965

Spukc

Master even with no paragon and no items is very easy. I did a fresh hardcore start like this to try the Necro and it was pathetically easy.

maybe i did one higher then cause elite's where sponges took me ages to kill em
had to kite like crazy

yeah if you want to level fast just take leoric's crown and stick a big fat red gem in it. 78% experience boost

Yes, but can you select the difficulty without having taken another character through all the acts once?

I believe you only get up to hard, once you hit 60, I think it opens up to Torment 1 then the rest upon completing all acts or hitting 70. Don't quote me, since I completed the story mode years ago, so I may be wrong.

UberLevi

Yes, but can you select the difficulty without having taken another character through all the acts once?

Bought the game last week and started my first playthrough. After Act 1 I felt it was too easy on Normal and it let me bump it up to Hard.

Matthew23

The VO is awesome and fitting for a change..Crusader female for example was better than the male VO.

Also i love it how everything explodes around me, like i said a page back it feels different and awesome to play.

Other people saying why pay for one class? Well i already have my money's worth out of it and when the new season starts i will play. I am to OP with the paragon point right now since it is a non season character but i am enjoying the hell out of it.

Also i love the new set tiles when doing rifts, they look really cool.

My only real complaint is that there's no season going on right now. With my 400 or so paragon I've been playing T1 difficulty which seems about right with mostly terrible gear. It takes a while to kill things and I have the occasional death but I find the gameplay more enjoyable when I'm not too overpowered.

I haven't tried the rifts yet but I am having fun with the campaign. I've been skipping all the old dialog so I can just get to the necro lines.

Edit- After the WD took so many of the old Nero skills I never thought Blizzrad would be able to make the class work while keeping some of the feel of the original character, but they seem to have done a good job.

Manu

As someone who hasn't played in years, could someone give me a quick run on what seasons are and how they work? Thanks.

New002

My only real complaint is that there's no season going on right now. With my 400 or so paragon I've been playing T1 difficulty which seems about right with mostly terrible gear. It takes a while to kill things and I have the occasional death but I find the gameplay more enjoyable when I'm not too overpowered.

I haven't tried the rifts yet but I am having fun with the campaign. I've been skipping all the old dialog so I can just get to the necro lines.

Edit- After the WD took so many of the old Nero skills I never thought Blizzrad would be able to make the class work while keeping some of the feel of the original character, but they seem to have done a good job.

Yeah I wish this dropped the same time as a new season, but for I'm just walking the story as practice/to get a feel for the char, and to hear the dialogue. Once the league starts I'll hit the ground running with adventure mode.

cakely

As someone who hasn't played in years, could someone give me a quick run on what seasons are and how they work? Thanks.

A season character starts in a vacuum as essentially a fresh account. No vendor upgrades, no prestige levels, no powers stored in the cube, no stash upgrades, and you can't send them gear from your other non-season characters on the account.

There's an XP bonus so leveling goes a little more quickly.

There are also season rewards for completing certain goals with the season account (for example: run a level 30 greater rift solo). The goals are in tiers of increasing difficulty, and if you complete three of the tiers you're rewarded with a full set of set gear for a class of your choice. They pick a specific set gear for each class each season. (for example: for season 10 the barbarian set gear was The Legacy of Raekor).

At the end of the season, all of your season characters get rolled back into your main account, along with cube recipes, and prestige XP. All the gear in your season stash ends up in your mailbox, and you have 30 days to pick it up.

Alavard

Basically, characters are divided into normal characters and 'seasonal' characters. A seasonal character cannot interact with a normal characters. So when you create your first seasonal character, you're basically starting from scratch all over again - no story progress, no gold, no items, no crafter levels or recipes.

During the season, you have certain milestones you're challenged with achieving with seasonal characters. There are also usually new seasonal-only items that can only drop for seasonal characters.

When a season ends, all your seasonal characters become normal characters, you get the rewards you've earned for your seasonal progress based on those milestones I mentioned, and you need to create completely new fresh seasonal characters to do the new season.

Manu

A season character starts in a vacuum as essentially a fresh account. No vendor upgrades, no prestige levels, no powers stored in the cube, no stash upgrades, and you can't send them gear from your other non-season characters on the account.

There's an XP bonus so leveling goes a little more quickly.

There are also season rewards for completing certain goals with the season account (for example: run a level 30 greater rift solo). The goals are in tiers of increasing difficulty, and if you complete three of the tiers you're rewarded with a full set of set gear for a class of your choice. They pick a specific set gear for each class each season. (for example: Last season the barbarian set gear was The Legacy of Raeokor).

At the end of the season, your season character gets rolled back into your main account, along with cube recipes, and prestige XP. All the gear in your season stash ends up in your mailbox, and you have 30 days to pick it up.

Basically, characters are divided into normal characters and 'seasonal' characters. A seasonal character cannot interact with a normal characters. So when you create your first seasonal character, you're basically starting from scratch all over again - no story progress, no gold, no items, no crafter levels or recipes.

During the season, you have certain milestones you're challenged with achieving with seasonal characters. There are also usually new seasonal-only items that can only drop for seasonal characters.

When a season ends, all your seasonal characters become normal characters, you get the rewards you've earned for your seasonal progress based on those milestones I mentioned, and you need to create completely new fresh seasonal characters to do the new season.

Sounds awesome.

Thanks!

What is their reason to change the gameplay so mutch compared to Diablo 2? I had more fun with the D2 necro so far :( When people wanted to play the necro again. I dont think they had this in their mind. The barbarian played like the original class but the necro is so different.

What is their reason to change the gameplay so mutch compared to Diablo 2? I had more fun with the D2 necro so far :( When people wanted to play the necro again. I dont think they had this in their mind. The barbarian played like the original class but the necro is so different.

The soup effect: too many things going on at once causing confusion.

enbred

Banned
Nah, there ain't nothin pullin me back in there again. Nothin. I'd go as far as saying, even if that shit was for free. Nah. Life is too short for that kinda shit. Nice try though Blizzard, nice try.

Spukc

lol i just got the act 2 chest drop those no clip shoes.

what the fuck this item is game breaking i can walk through enemies XD

Nokterian

Running Bone Armor build now..holy moly yup this will be the build for season 11. It feels like a juggernaut when killing enemies.

necromancer1j7syz.jpg

HF2014

I don't really feel like paying 20$ CAD for one character, even if I might spend many hours on it.
Hopefully it doesn't take over a year to see the first discount on it.

Ahh cmon. christ , its only 20$. Diablo 3 have given you how many free updates, new zones, sets, things to do? I think its one if the most generous title receiving free updates for half a decade, only had to pay once 50$ for the expansion. Its the price of one month of WoW, and the class will give you hundreds and hundreds of hours of game time. I seriously tough it would be like 30 cnd, at 20$ i was freakin impress. Man spamming corpse explosions never felt so good, stop conplaining and go buy it! Its worth it!

HF2014

i prefer the console version above the pc version .

that direct control and auto lock just does wonders.
having a witchdoctor or necro just plays like another game on consoles

Agree. Its amazing! Bought it for PS4, always felt the gameplay was made for consoles.

commissar

Man those corspes look stupid :/

Fun to explode, but would have thought they'd use the existing enemy model and just highlight it.

NeoBob688

Yea - you and me both. I deleted old save files and the install data, too. I mean, wtf?

For other folks having trouble accessing the DLC necromancer in-game on the PS4 (content not available error) try restoring licenses (PlayStation network settings) and restarting the system.

In my case, however, the problem is that Amazon USA stupidly shippped me a European version of the Ultimate Evil Edition and the DLC is region locked.

Spukc

any diablo expert here knows a good site for necrobuilds ?
i got a shit load of loot but i need some kind of guideline what to build to .

So I bought the Necromancer thanks to the impressions I saw here, I'm really having fun with him so far. The Crusader is my favorite class but this one might overtake it. Now I just need my friends to get back into Diablo III.

So I bought the Necromancer thanks to the impressions I saw here, I'm really having fun with him so far. The Crusader is my favorite class but this one might overtake it. Now I just need my friends to get back into Diablo III.

I've yet to play a Crusader, but I'll probably do that in the season after next.

I've not played this game in about 18 months. Wow this class is so fun. Love just commanding my little minion army then blowing up corpses so satisfying.

Jedi2016

So this question comes up with practically every character I make, but I'll ask it anyway...

One-hander + phylactery, or two-hander?

trebbble

Do we need to purchase separately for PS4 and PC - as I expect - or have they done us a solid with an account level unlock across platforms on purchase?

Woorloog

Banned
So this question comes up with practically every character I make, but I'll ask it anyway...

One-hander + phylactery, or two-hander?

Arguably build-dependent. Some builds will want more special abilities from legendaries, others will do just fine with something cubed and from one weapon and need more damage output.

For leveling, just use whatever has most damage at the moment.

Do we need to purchase separately for PS4 and PC - as I expect - or have they done us a solid with an account level unlock across platforms on purchase?

Separately, pretty sure. I think the accounts may be linked but they're still separate things.

How are people getting whole sets this fast?
haven't played in years

Stocked blood shards and use Kanai's Cube to upgrade rares to Legendaries and Sets.

How are people getting whole sets this fast?
haven't played in years

Paragon levels, Cube crafting/changing sets, unlocked cube effects that are powerful without necro ones by themselves allows for higher GR for higher blood shards, etc.

It's why I can't be bothered to try Necro now when you have all that without seasons.

Top Bottom