• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Difficulty Levels in The Witcher 3 (Dark Mode, Permadeath)

MattyG

Banned
Nah man, it's great. This is role-playing.
"Now this is role-playing!"

RlMdTPC.jpg

This doesn't work in a game when you are walking through a meadow and giant monsters randomly burst from the ground. How are you supposed to prepare for the unknown besides saving the game every minute and reloading the game. Which is not fun at all.

A good rule of thumb is to look at the monster manuals being sold by local merchants before heading into the wild. Usually gives you a hint at what to expect.

Nameless

Played the first half of The Witcher 2 on normal before bumping it up to hard. Normal was a bit of a cake walk, so if things are similar in Witcher 3 hard will be my sweetspot.

I'm neither an achievement/trophy whore or a masochist so Dark Mode doesn't sound appealing at all.

Canucked

They should make finishing dark mode a bronze trophy or like one achievement point. Not enough to be worth the challenge but enough to tear at your soul for eternity.

This doesn't work in a game when you are walking through a meadow and giant monsters randomly burst from the ground. How are you supposed to prepare for the unknown besides saving the game every minute and reloading the game. Which is not fun at all.

that's a big reason I never got into W2. it just seems like a dumb design choice. yeah, I know its an established part of the franchise's lore. that doesn't make it a worthwhile or fun game mechanic.

sublimit

Banned
Making a "hard" game for the sake of being hard is easy.

Making a hard game with a deep and flexible enough combat system to appeal to those who like to experiment with different playing styles in order to overcome the game's challenges (which must also feel fair ) is what is really hard.

I really hope The Witcher 3 combat will be good and deep enough to make me want to play it on the highest difficulties because otherwise it will be pointless.

erawsd

that's a big reason I never got into W2. it just seems like a dumb design choice. yeah, I know its an established part of the franchise's lore. that doesn't make it a worthwhile or fun game mechanic.

The devs agree, which is why youll be able to use them in combat this time. They also got rid of the excessive herb farming.

CHC

Sounds horrible, I don't know why you'd ever want to play that long and invested of a game with permadeath.

Oops I died let me just restart the game and sit through the probably-2-or-3-hour-long semi-playable intro and dialogues.

The devs agree, which is why youll be able to use them in combat this time. They also got rid of the excessive herb farming.

that's awesome news (to me). I'm still on the fence about W3 because of what I assume the combat will be like, but that's a big positive.

Bear

I hope there is something like TW2's Dark mode this time around. I enjoyed playing the game at the hardest difficulty without permadeath. This game is way too long for that mechanic to be any fun, imo, especially if it takes a long time to get started.

Wait, what? Dark mode in Witcher 2 was harder than insanity, but insanity had permadeath. Dark mode was my favorite difficulty to play for those reasons (too high of a risk of hitting a glitch and losing the save), but what's up with the change in naming? I sure hope they have hard mode still at the least, otherwise that's a huge bummer.

Shengar

Dark Souls isn't that hard, damn.

Miyazaki and a SCE producer/director said that they considering the addition of permadeath in Demon's Souls. Imagine you fall into the wrong platform on your way into 2nd try of Flamelurker fight lol

Good luck to trophy hunters. In that big leak it was confirmed that they out source their trophies. I'd wager there's a 70/30 shot perma death has a trophy/achievement.

Witcher 2 had an Insane difficulty Steam achievement, so yeah...

I guess it'll be interesting to see how many people actually manage to get it but I'm sure as hell not going to bother.

Witcher 2 had an Insane difficulty Steam achievement, so yeah...

I guess it'll be interesting to see how many people actually manage to get it but I'm sure as hell not going to bother.

Well to be fair, Insane difficulty wasn't present on 360. I didn't know it was a thing until this thread.

I've trudged through worse, so whatever... I'm gonna get this plat.

gdt

Is there a "hard" option? Like dark mode but without the perma death?

That's what I want.

Witcher 2's Dark had no permadeath, and it has badass exclusive armor that you could earn there. It was awesome.

Well to be fair, Insane difficulty wasn't present on 360. I didn't know it was a thing until this thread.

I've trudged through worse, so whatever... I'm gonna get this plat.

Yeah, now that I think about it, I suppose you could always back your save up to PS+ or a USB stick. Maybe it wouldn't be too bad.

PatDH

In Witcher 2 the "permadeath" mode (Insane) and Dark Mode were different things.

I beat Insane in Witcher 2 by pretty much immediately quitting the game the second I felt a fight wasn't going my way.

The way it's meant to be played!

/s lol

Options are great. But nope, not touching this one, not with permadeath. Even if it unlocks trophy. (Pls no cdpr, want to platz this)

If there's a mode equivalent to Dark mode in Witcher 2 (just harder enemy with special equipments available), now that's sounds more reasonable for my 2nd playthrough after normal one.

Tigress

Huh? Permadeath has been present in various ASCII RPGs (Rogue, Nethack, Angband) since forever, though easily cheated around with backups and whatnot.

For those three games you listed, the game is different every time you play it though. I tried playing Skyrim iron man (permadeath) but found that after a while I just didn't want to play again cause I didn't want to go and repeat the intro over again (rather I didn't get far until I realized why it kinda sucked to play iron man).

Some one finally told me what I should do is lose all my items I have gained when I die. It still gives a reason you really don't want to die (cause it is fun to truly fear dieing) but doesn't make me have to get bored repeating the same thing over again.

Maybe I'll try fallout with that method next ;).

misho8723

Banned
Right now Witcher 3 has 4 difficulties to choice from:
Easy
Normal
Hard
Dark (this time, no special items like in W2)

Phear

Hopefully there won't be a trophy tied to dark mode. Or else, there are MANY DS4s flying ouzt of my window...

bobawesome

At the end of my time with The Witcher 3 and CD Projekt RED earlier this month, I decided to nail down precisely how hard the RPG is. Pulling out my notebook and a pen, I drew a simple chart and labelled the Y axis with “Skyrim” at the bottom and “Dark Souls” at the top.

“I don’t know what the X axis is,” I apologised, “But let’s say the Y axis is a difficulty scale. Down at the bottom here is the toughest challenge in Skyrim. Up the top here is the hardest thing in Dark Souls – something really life destroying, you know?”

I rolled my eyes so hard they're in the back of my head. I managed to post this due to muscle memory.

Is there a "hard" option? Like dark mode but without the perma death?

That's what I want.

Yeah, of course!

That is so lame.

Why would anyone want to torment themselves like that? Permadeath?

There is challenging and then there is masochism.

Because some people like a challenge? Permadeath creates a tense environment because you really, really don't want to die.

I'm not buying this. The game should had being easier not harder!! is hard to enough to deal with the awful combat system that rewards blind preparation over reflexes.

So play on easy then? Geez, dude.

Hopefully there won't be a trophy tied to dark mode. Or else, there are MANY DS4s flying ouzt of my window...

I hope there is.

BouncyFrag

This could lead to some soul crushing, meltdown inducing live streams. I never bother with trophies, but getting one for a completed permadeath run would be a worthy challenge, but I wouldn't attempt to do it in my first play-through. I'm not that hardcore, lol.

For when you die facing the last boss thinking you were just about to defeat it:
ezgif_4284955170.gif

LesPaul

I think permadeath in games like Fire Emblem is great because the game continues. If you die after 100 hours and have to start again that would just be bad (also in terms of game design)......I would even be anoid if I have to do 10 hours again. If the game is not based on a permadeath-premise it should not be in the game.

Top Bottom