• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Difficulty Levels in The Witcher 3 (Dark Mode, Permadeath)

Auctopus

Yeah but you gotta shoot for what resonates with an audience. Whats a more popular modern game that is more difficult on the default difficulty?

Fair enough, CD Projekt Red do seem to name drop a lot of popular RPGs.

The thing that bothers me is Dark Souls 1 doesn't have a difficultly level, the game is lovingly balanced so it's challenging but fair. When developers try to meet that level of challenge (including FROM's B-Team), it usually results in bullet-sponge enemies and attacks taking about 2/3 of your health.

If the gameplay meets it then Dark Mode will very enjoyable. I remember the parts of TW2 that I did play where the combat basically involved rolling in and out of mobs, swinging and placing hexes(?) when you could. It wasn't too enjoyable.

Bl@de

Would be funny if all trophies would be tied to Dark mode. Ultimate polish trolling

what-is-love-polska-edycja-gif-gif

jem0208

Is there a way to have faith difficulty without permadeath? Because I think permadeath is a terrible mechanic, especially in a heavily story driven open world game.

autoduelist

first RPG that implement Permadeath?

Crazy talk. I mean, c'mon, all the roguelikes have it. Games like Fire Emblem and Xcom have it, though it's not 'game over' since you have a team. IIRC one of the Wizardry's had an option for it.

If you look at my avatar, Autoduel, which is sort of a post-apocalyptic action RPG (you have stats, though your primary weapon is your car), there was permadeath. You could buy an expensive clone that would save you (once) if you died... though for the long final mission of the game your clone was eliminated so if you died on the final mission, you died, game over, start over. Oh, and the game deleted your save game upon load. Those were the days.

squidyj

I don't mind having a permadeath option, what I want to see is a mode that has all other things set the same as the permadeath mode, but doesn't have permadeath. I found normal and hard quite easy in the witcher 2, so I was glad when they added Dark Mode with the challenge of Insanity just not the permadeath.

UrbanRats

Can't wait for someone 40 hours in, to die to some stutter or a glitch. This ain't a super polished 8 hours action game, it's a massive open world rpg which is bound to have a lot of imperfections along the way, due to its nature.

Still, options are generally good.

Seanspeed

Banned
Normal mode it is.

Never found the combat in the Witcher games to feel that great, so unless the combat is a lot better this time around or the game is just entirely too easy on Normal, then I don't think I'm gonna be feeling the urge to crank the difficulty.

Tenebrous

Good luck to trophy hunters. In that big leak it was confirmed that they out source their trophies. I'd wager there's a 70/30 shot perma death has a trophy/achievement.

I highly doubt a Permadeath run will be a requirement for 100% on console. Witcher 2's permadeath mode was a requirement for 100% on PC, but they lowered it on the Xbox 360 release to a Dark clear.

Savitar

I tend to play normal, a decent challenge and having fun is what's important to me.

Those that beat it at it's highest difficulty certainly have my respect.

Nordicus

I know that a lot of people are groaning at Dark Souls being the example of a difficult game in the article, but I have to ask:

If not Dark Souls, then which action RPG would you call hard? Preferrably a game that's not crap.

I remember taking screenshots for fun of Geralt in front of fire in Witcher 2.
The part where theres a building burning down.
That fire ended killing me and ending my save file :(.

Gumbie

If I was playing permadeath and died 5 minutes from the ending....my fist would cause my PC and monitor to have a permadeath as well.

Interfectum

I don't get this. Shouldn't trophies and achievements be held for actual, you know, achievements within the game?

Achievements are ruined by people who think they are entitled to get all of them. I think most developers just toss them in as "feel good" moments at this point.

Barzul

Now that I think about it, this can be done. All you have to do is save often and reload when you think you're going to die. Still a very risky proposition.

Yopis

Great news and lol to all the babies crying about this. People like that are reason games are so easy these days. People want ultimate challenge, let them. What makes this stupid? Anything hard gets the entitled crying, love this.

Varna

More options are good.

I don't really trust these guys with balancing the game right though. TW2 was abysmal in that regard. Started out decent enough and half way through any and all challenge disappeared while you continued to amass ridiculous stats through gear upgrades. The higher difficulty modes were the very definition of lazy... just pump the enemy damage/health levels to 11!

CD Projekt totally does not earn this in their combat. W3 seems better from the trailers, but I don't believe at all that they are able to craft combat so refined and skill based to earn this mode. Nor do I believe in the combat scenarios or hitboxes of attacks. This is just a bad idea from their part. Not even talking about playing a permadeath action game at 30fps.

I am sorry but they have no idea about how combat should work and respond to player's input.

QaaQer

I highly doubt a Permadeath run will be a requirement for 100% on console. Witcher 2's permadeath mode was a requirement for 100% on PC, but they lowered it on the Xbox 360 release to a Dark clear.

Witched devs think console gamers are p*****s confirmed.

TheFatMan

Oh god a 100 hour game with permadeath? I'm glad it's there for you nut jobs with a love of torture, but I think I'll be sticking to normal in this game!

daninthemix

I hope easy is actually easy. I couldn't get pass Witcher 2's tutorial mode, so am hoping for a double-dose of accessibility this time.

Dunkley

I hope this works like Quicksaves by deleting your savegame each time you enter the game and making one when you exit, with a safeguard if this game terminates itself for some reason, of course.

Beat it without a memory card? Easy-peasy.

Beating FF7 without a hard drive is gonna be extremely difficult, in fact, you might already have issues getting to the title screen.

Will definitely play w/ permadeath at some point, but not on my first playthrough. Defintiely something you need systems mastery to plan for.

There is challenging and then there is masochism.

Some of us are masochists, but playing so it can hurt you is not what permadeath is about. Permadeath changes the way you approach a game completely-there is risk/reward evaluation that must be constantly performed, and character builds and traits will look radically different for permadeath characters vs. regular difficulty ones.

It's a rich experience, one that does require more investment in time and planning but for those of us who like that sort of thing, having it around greatly increases the game's appeal. There's a reason why games with permadeath modes often have a very strong following-once you start getting used to the permanent paranoia and the reality of living with your decisions, it's really hard to go back.

Vitten

so... pauze your game each time you're close to death and then reload your last save ?

edit... also, sounds like something you could do in speedrun mode after knowing the game through and trough.. Like Dark Souls.

vivekTO

I completed witcher 2 two times, on normal. that will be enough for me on pc.
Regarding Dark difficulty:
What happen when there is a glitch or game breaking bug. will it allow to reload the checkpoint? and if it can how will they stop player from abusing that.

QaaQer

To alot of sad cases, it is.

Not even in souls games is there skill gating, a bad player just has to summon to win.

AAA devs are under strict orders to eliminate ragequiting and minimize frustration in single player games. Hence the elimination of games requiring skill and practice, even in the racing genre (driveclub being the exception). There is actually a lot of effort that goes into dynamic difficult, that is reducing difficulty on the fly and hidden from the player, because a lot of gamers crank up difficulties yet have no tolerance for practice or patience.

Games always have, at the bare minimum, on the fly skill sliders, or insta-win cheats like summoning, or rewind buttons. And most also have dynamic difficulties.

The only big game I can think of that has real, unavoidable skill gating in single player in the last 4 or 5 years is driveclub.

This will end up going on my buy when really, really cheap or no backlog list if there are trophies attached to that mode.

You heard me, trophies. (Yes it is petty but I need to cut down on the games I buy.)

Yopis

This will end up going on my buy when really, really cheap or no backlog list if there are trophies attached to that mode.

You heard me, trophies. (Yes it is petty but I need to cut down on the games I buy.)

Hope it does have a trophy for this.

Guess you want the thrill if trophies just don't make hard? This mentality is killing me what a joke.

Minions

I don't even want to imagine permadeath in Dark Souls....

The option is always nice... but I think I am a little burnt out on modes that end 60+ hours worth of effort with 1 death. I assume you could always get around this by backing up your saves however.

Hope it does have a trophy for this.

Guess you want the thrill if trophies just don't make hard? This mentality is killing me what a joke.

There's hard and then there's cheap. Dark on Witcher 2 was a mix of of both.

I'm kinda curious how many people beat insane on W2 without Quen spam.

ironcreed

Banned
Now that I think about it, this can be done. All you have to do is save often and reload when you think you're going to die. Still a very risky proposition.

Unless you accidentally die before you have that chance. Which is a strong possibility in a game like this.

At any rate, normal mode for me. Good luck to the brave souls who want to gamble with losing so much of their precious gaming time. I foresee many doing this and then never returning to the game after losing so many hours. But hey, I am all for the option for it to be there for those who want it.

Einbroch

Banned
Permadeath is fine in some games. Sounds awful for a game like this. 100+ hour story-based game, and if it glitches out, you're fucked? No thanks.

Top Bottom