• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Board Games Thread: Async Multiplatform Meeples

PittaGAF

Race for the Galaxy is sooooooo good.
I'm now having a total blast with last expansion, in particular when I'm playing imperium.
Takeovers are SO GOOD.

Paperback is a lot of fun now it's got multiplayer.

It would be very nice if it had stats, achievements and badge notifications.
(You do get banner notifications so it's ok - better than RFTG)

There's a few niggles with adding players by nickname so you can create invites, we had to create a game, join it and then the friend can be added as a known player.
However other can add 'friends' without needing to go through this step.

HotHamBoy

It is, just not for every region. I'm not in it :(. I want to love the game but it rejected me.

Faeria is really good, that sucks. It's my favorite CCG after Krosmaga.

Both games are gorgeous and pretty generous. They also win big time for being very different from all the god damn Hearthstone clones.

-----

Cross-posting from the iOS Gaming thread:

So for some reason I never played Age of Rivals despite buying it at launch because it was 99 cents and because I really like deck-building games.

I think I just was never really in the mood to sit down and learn a new ruleset for a card game, I play a lot of card games as it is.

Well, finally got around to it last night. This shit is really good. This is one of the more unique takes on the DBG genre I've played in awhile. It's basically Age of Empires: the card game. No doubt that's why they named it what they did.

The app is really polished (probably because they've updated it like every week since launch) and the art is really good. My only disappointment is that there is no unique art for each card, only unique art for card types. That's totally understandable for a small game like this, though, since that is a massive workload for an artist. But it would be cool if they updated the game with an art package, I would even pay for it as DLC.

The game would also work in physical form and I'd love to buy it if they ever printed it. It would be a little obnoxious to juggle tokens ala Ascension, which is why I prefer these games digital, but I'd still want to have a real copy to play with people IRL.

After the launch period the game bumped from $1 to $4. Right now it's on sale on iOS and Android for $2 and I can't recommend it enough. Grab it for a great price right now!

Unfortunately, Age of Rivals does not follow Star Realms' example where the game unlocks on all devices for one in-app purchase. The Steam version is $9.99. I'm not saying the game isn't worth $10 but the mobile pricing disparity will never not upset me.

SumGamer

Faeria is really good, that sucks. It's my favorite CCG after Krosmaga.

Both games are gorgeous and pretty generous. They also win big time for being very different from all the god damn Hearthstone clones.

We can monitor this here in case it become available to the rest of the world.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=be.abrakam.faeria&hl=en

Which is really weird because I have iOS version running on my ipad running just fine. The only issue I have with that version is the Network code they have isn't quite suitable for mobile connection.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Burgle Bros. is so good to have in app form, but damn that game is ridiculously hard. I need to go read some strategy articles or something.

patchday

Race for the Galaxy is sooooooo good.
I'm now having a total blast with last expansion, in particular when I'm playing imperium.
Takeovers are SO GOOD.

I have the base Steam game but havent played in a bit. I should get back into it. This game, Age of Rivals, and Sentinels of the Multiverse are some of my fav card games

Lords of Waterdeep 64-bit update coming in a week (August 23). Also releasing on Android and Steam.

https://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/68127/preview-lords-waterdeep

Finally!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
you'll want to split your team as evenly as you can between the floors if possible to reduce guard coverage

I did it...I finally did it! So many things had to align but the gang finally got out, with a dynamite blast and a mad dash at the finish. I used to not think much of The Rigger, but absolutely couldn't have won the game without him. (Playing on the Medium building fwiw.)

mercviper

I did it...I finally did it! So many things had to align but the gang finally got out, with a dynamite blast and a mad dash at the finish. I used to not think much of The Rigger, but absolutely couldn't have won the game without him. (Playing on the Medium building fwiw.)

nice grats. Game is hard indeed. I think I'm around 30% winrate playing the game with a team of four and no quarterbacking irl. There's a lot of stuff that can go wrong really fast so it's always an accomplishment.

PittaGAF

Temple Games, makers of the excellent Race for the Galaxy on iOS (my personal GOTY) just announced at Gencon they are making Roll for the Galaxy, which is apparently (knew nothing about it, just checked online) a dice and refined version (highly regarded too, it seems).
And I happen to love dice.

Awesome.

HotHamBoy

Legendary DXP has released on iOS!

legendary-dxp-02.jpg

sc552x414.jpeg

patchday

Too bad its iphone only. I would try it on android/steam as long as there's no booster packs (which a deck building game shouldnt ever have)

HotHamBoy

First off, I was wondering if it would be cool to make a seperate OT specifically for digital card games.

Secondly...

Solforge, my favorite digital CCG (I spent around $300 over two years despite it also being easily the most generous of all CCGs I've played) is still alive and kicking!

solforge-blight-witch.jpg

If you didn't know, the game was set to die in January. The devs were no longer able to support the operation, which sucks because it's a super cool game with very unique mechanics. Well, they managed to get a donated server from another dev so those of us who really loved the game would still have a place to play.

All the same, without new card cycles I kind of just drifted away and games like Krosmaga, Elder Scrolls Legends and Faeria took its place.

On a whim, I just checked the website and was shocked to find that not only is the game still active, they even pushed a significant balance patch out on August 3rd.

If you guys are curious about the game or want to join me for a match I'd love to play.

In fact... to date, Solforge is the only digital CCG (that I'm aware of) that allows players to share cards. What this means is that you can give one copy of any card acquired with premium currency to another player while still keeping your original copy for yourself - effectively making every purchase a two for one and an awesome way to easily acquire specific cards you want in "trades."

I have a shitload of cards I can still share so, again, if there are any former (or current) players or people interested in a F2P account (I'll give you commons and uncommons for nothing, they are worthless to me) then let's play!

My user name is HotHamBoy

Too bad its iphone only. I would try it on android/steam as long as there's no booster packs (which a deck building game shouldnt ever have)

The game has an IAP of $2 that unlocks everything but the cosmetics you can buy with free and premium currency. Like Star Realms, basically.

The app is busted as fuck. I couldn't even get through a game against the bots without the UI breaking and making it impossible to continue. People are reporting a lot of problems like that as well as not being able to find matches.

Basically, the game feels like it was released in an alpha state to coincide with GenCon. It doesn't just lack polish, it lacks playability.

Devs have been actively communicating though and I'm sure it will be patched up, still not good.

patchday

Oh yeah I like Solforge but havent played for quite awhile. Still been keeping up with Kaleri's efforts though

Too bad bout that new Legendary game hopefully they can patch that right up cause it looks interesting.

Phinor

Legendary DXP has released on iOS!

I was interested enough to pay the $1.99 to unlock the base game despite people having issues with the game. Well count me among those with issues, I can't actually play it. When a game starts, I can play my cards but then never do anything with them, it doesn't register them as played. When I click end turn, I get booted back to login screen.

I certainly hope they at the very minimum detach the singleplayer/playing with AI from their online services because not being able to play at all thanks to their servers crapping out isn't good. Also turn timer when playing against AI because sure, why not...

Should have kept this in beta for a while longer.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I was interested enough to pay the $1.99 to unlock the base game despite people having issues with the game. Well count me among those with issues, I can't actually play it. When a game starts, I can play my cards but then never do anything with them, it doesn't register them as played. When I click end turn, I get booted back to login screen.

I certainly hope they at the very minimum detach the singleplayer/playing with AI from their online services because not being able to play at all thanks to their servers crapping out isn't good. Also turn timer when playing against AI because sure, why not...

Should have kept this in beta for a while longer.

They are seriously toeing the line in terms of getting booted from the App Store imo. Definitely the buggiest official (or even beta!) release I've ever played.

HotHamBoy

They are seriously toeing the line in terms of getting booted from the App Store imo. Definitely the buggiest official (or even beta!) release I've ever played.

It's really bad for a brand this big.

I mean, okay, $2, but how bout we don't give people more reasons to not take a chance and buy premium games?

Age of Rivals is one of the best games I've played this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCVnOGuOVx0

It's really good! Buy this deck building game instead of Legendary DXP.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
It's really bad for a brand this big.

I mean, okay, $2, but how bout we don't give people more reasons to not take a chance and buy premium games?

Between the bad art in stuff like Legendary: Firefly and this I feel like UD does a disservice to a great system.

patchday

Yeah I love to support premium games but that Legendary sounds so busted right now. Come on devs you gotta make sure the game is playable and you only released on one platform

Was even thinking to buy the game even though I"m android user since I can fallback to my kids ipads

But I'm waiting on fixes

Vyse24

So I don't know if this is the place to put it, but there's a game in Early Access on Steam called Sumer that calls itself a "digital board game". Basically, you have your workers collect resources to use in rituals and material-crafting to earn points. You can also use the workers to raise goats, which are used as currency. In-between rounds, you bid on buildings and power-ups with the goats to give you an advantage for the next round. Highest point total at the end wins. It's $14.99 and currently only has local multiplayer (online will be in the full version), but if you're into games like that, you should probably give it a shot.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/464950/Sumer/

emag

The Waterbeep update is live.

The new landscape orientation will take some getting used to.

It's tolerable on iPad, but horrible on iPhone. I understand that Playdek wanted to consolidate development between all versions and so went the landscape route, but I hope portrait comes back to allow one-handed play on iPhone. The new animations are also really slow and distracting (cards flipping).

It's tolerable on iPad, but horrible on iPhone. I understand that Playdek wanted to consolidate development between all versions and so went the landscape route, but I hope portrait comes back to allow one-handed play on iPhone. The new animations are also really slow and distracting (cards flipping).
I appreciate the fact that it pauses before drawing new cards now, which might stop me making terrible mistakes on buildings where I think I can play an intrigue card (instead of drawing one).

TTA trailer

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
What's the status of Carcassone on iOS?

Does anyone still play this?

yeah man -- got invites from various gaffers (i think?) every few weeks. that game has so many expansions that there's lots of flavors of it you can play -- never gets old (well except pure base w/ no fields which is a bit boring :p)

Anyone have recommendations on a good Android digital board game with a good campaign?

Sheltered has been meh. Never could super get into Galaxy Trucker...anything else?

Alright gang, the wife and I are heading out of town this weekend without kiddos and expect to have a fair amount of time to play board games on our iPad. I see there's a Through the Ages app now, so I will get that for sure since that's among our favorite games.

Anything else recent-ish that ya'll can recommend with pass and play multi? Here's stuff we have digitally already:

Love:
Ascension
Waterdeep
Carc
Le Havre
Agricola
Ghost Stories

Like:
Galaxy Trucker
Small World

Meh:
Penny Arcade Deck Builder
Samurai

Also willing to accept non-board/card games that we can play together with a single ipad!

HotHamBoy

Alright gang, the wife and I are heading out of town this weekend without kiddos and expect to have a fair amount of time to play board games on our iPad. I see there's a Through the Ages app now, so I will get that for sure since that's among our favorite games.

Anything else recent-ish that ya'll can recommend with pass and play multi? Here's stuff we have digitally already:

Love:
Ascension
Waterdeep
Carc
Le Havre
Agricola
Ghost Stories

Like:
Galaxy Trucker
Small World

Meh:
Penny Arcade Deck Builder
Samurai

Also willing to accept non-board/card games that we can play together with a single ipad!

Splendor
Race for the Galaxy
Castles of Mad King Ludwig
Desert Island
Forbidden Island
Potion Explosion
Baseball 2045
Pandemic
Puerto Rico
Stone Age
Eclipse: Dawn for the Galaxy
Suburbia
Neuroshima Hex
Dominant Species
Star Realms
Yggdrasil
Dead Man's Draw (Free! I love this game for quick local games with anyone)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Anyone have recommendations on a good Android digital board game with a good campaign?

Sheltered has been meh. Never could super get into Galaxy Trucker...anything else?

lttp on this question, but try out elder sign. not strictly a campaign per se but you do progress and unlock new maps and it's really fun imo (the extra maps are worth it once you've got the hang of the game -- super challenging)

lttp on this question, but try out elder sign. not strictly a campaign per se but you do progress and unlock new maps and it's really fun imo (the extra maps are worth it once you've got the hang of the game -- super challenging)

Good idea, I actually have this but never considered it, thanks!

Top Bottom