• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Board Games Thread: Async Multiplatform Meeples

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Was using the wifi at work and adding a friend gives no feedback. On my mobile connection (T-Mobile), playing online is just grayed out and I get similar problems in Ascension. Wonder if the providing is restricting those connections.
Ah yeah you just have to quit out and restart the app.

Grifter

Ah yeah you just have to quit out and restart the app.

Tried force-closing both apps and this has been consistent.

BTW, played a live game of Terra Mystica to get a feel for the game. Got wrecked by tunneling dwarves and it's not clear to me how to stop that.

HotHamBoy

pic2971899.jpg

Star Realms released a major update last week. In addition to adding some QoL features and changing MP from async to realtime, the Colony Wars expansion was released. This is a stand-alone expansion IRL that features another 80 cards. You can get it as an in-app purchase for $5 and can mix it in with the original set and expansions. The purchase includes a new set of SP campaign missions, too. As always, Star Realms IAP is linked to your Star Realms account and unlocks across all devices.

PittaGAF

Just a note that they didn't change async with realtime.
They ADDED realtime matches.
You can still choose which kind of mp you want on a per game basis.
I generally use async with friends and realtime with random people when I want to play for 5 minutes.
The update got me back in the game with both feet after almost an year and I was really surprised by how fast matchmaking works....the community must have been really got bigger and bigger.
Generally I can play in less than 5 seconds.
App is still awesome.
Great update.

Good news! Just got a reply from Playdek:
So despite that reply, there still doesn't seem to be any news from Playdek, their social media accounts are silent, and their website is an Under Construction WordPress page.

I'm not expecting a Lords of Waterdeep update, which is fine because I'm playing on an iPad 3, but how will the App Store handle IAP once it's delisted if I have to reinstall or move to another (old) iPad? I bought the original app ages ago, but never played it because it was too intimidating on my iPhone 4S. I finally got that iPad 3 a few month ago and finally tried it and loved it. I want the IAP, but not for $6 if it might disappear in a couple of months.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
So despite that reply, there still doesn't seem to be any news from Playdek, their social media accounts are silent, and their website is an Under Construction WordPress page.

I'm not expecting a Lords of Waterdeep update, which is fine because I'm playing on an iPad 3, but how will the App Store handle IAP once it's delisted if I have to reinstall or move to another (old) iPad? I bought the original app ages ago, but never played it because it was too intimidating on my iPhone 4S. I finally got that iPad 3 a few month ago and finally tried it and loved it. I want the IAP, but not for $6 if it might disappear in a couple of months.
Hmm...damn...what a huge loss for digital board games if so. No one ever could do it quite on the level of Playdek's games (pretty much all of them) and Carcassonne.

HotHamBoy

Cross-posting my write-up from the iOS gaming thread.

Majestia (Free, also on Android)

kbp_majestia_banner.jpg

02.jpg

majestia-00.jpeg

033.jpg

Majestia72575.jpg

This is a turn-based strategy/card hybrid featuring figures from various mythologies and world history. I was attracted to this game by its cool aesthetic but had low expectations. Happily, those expectations have been exceeded by a good margin.

Game is very good, especially for F2P. The actual gameplay is a pretty unique approach to the light-strategy/card game hybrid. There are timers for acquiring and training new cards and the like but no energy timers or anything, you can play to your heart's content like most CCGs. Game starts you off with all you need to get going and running through the challenges will net you a bunch of new cards.

New Heroes can be acquired through several means but the main two, after exhausting the challenge levels, is through a chest purchased with premium currency, which gives a random hero, or through a selection of three that refreshes every 12 hours and is obtained through the standard currency. Both currencies are earned through play as victory prizes and achievement unlocks. You can use the premium currency to reduce the wait for the Hero refresh or you can use the "Soul Timer" which is an amount of time that automatically builds that can be spent to reduce any wait timer as you see fit.

Any new heroes and tactical cards you acquire can be used instantly, btw, if that's not clear. The selection and leveling up process is what is on a timer.

All in all, given how many cards and heroes I have acquired after a couple days of play, I feel like I have plenty of deck-building options already and have not felt the need to spend any money at all. There is a good amount of depth here while also still feeling breezy.

Also, Abraham Lincoln is a warrior in this game, as is Dracula. Live the dream.

headerimage0.jpg

Lol that's Genghis Khan.

Let me know what you think. If you like it add me, HotHamBoy.

Hahahahahaha I'm calling him Santa anyway now because that's even more hilarious than if he really were santa.

I got it downloaded yesterday and tried to play but it was maintenance time, so hopefully I can get in at some poin today to check it out

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Epic looks fun. Star Realms is a great implementation so I'll definitely give it a shot. RFTG is excellent too. :D Honestly the problem now is not so much library but just finding people to play with. Carc and Ascension are still my mains by far.

patchday

wow Majestia looks beautiful. But its f2p tho. I am just going to assume you have to open booster packs to get cards. will probably pass if that's the case ;(

(Yep just read that gear appears randomly and cant get it directly I am tired of that stuff so no download from me)

----------

Need to grab that Star Realms update I love that one. Can buy it one price and get everything. Blessing

will checkout Terra mystica too on Steam.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
What is the best Hearthstone-like going now? I'd actually play Hearthstone but I'm stuck in some weird Authorization error that somehow has lasted two years (last time I played).

I played and enjoyed PvZ, but at level 49 there now and don't feel like putting in the 20+ games it'll take to get me to 50 (plus I feel kind of topped out here skill/deck-quality wise).

butzopower

proud of his butz
What is the best Hearthstone-like going now? I'd actually play Hearthstone but I'm stuck in some weird Authorization error that somehow has lasted two years (last time I played).

I played and enjoyed PvZ, but at level 49 there now and don't feel like putting in the 20+ games it'll take to get me to 50 (plus I feel kind of topped out here skill/deck-quality wise).

I really like Faeria. Even the single player missions are real good, especially the puzzle levels (there's like 70 of them). It's on PC/Mac, iPad, and soon mobile (they did a TestFlight alpha a few weeks ago).

It's on Steam, but Duelyst is a lot of fun. Think Hearthstone, but mixed with strategy RPG elements. The cards you play are heroes and minions that you move around on a board, so placement is very important. The music and art are great, as well.

butzopower

proud of his butz
Has anyone played Age Of Rivals?
It's the last item from the article and launching at 1$/£ this week.
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/66424/app-news-solitairica-getting-expansion-warlock-fir

Bought it and it's pretty neat rules and the rounds are quite fun. Really could use async, definitely think it would be possible with the mechanics. iOS app is honestly a bit crap. Also, for some reason you unlock cards with in game currency, but it just extends your pool of cards you might play with.

patchday

yeah I really like Age of Rivals I have the Steam version. pay one price for the game and you can enjoy being able to easily unlock cards. Everything is unique drops- no dupes.

mercviper

I've been playing Gwent since it hit open beta and that's been pretty good. Less RNG in that game. If you want something that's basically anime hearthstone you can check out shadowverse

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Is that the PC version? Bout to buy it now. I've never played Race for the galaxy.

It's actually the iPad version but I believe they all pretty much look the same (and I think there's cross-platform too?). Really great implementation of a great game.

I've been playing Gwent since it hit open beta and that's been pretty good. Less RNG in that game. If you want something that's basically anime hearthstone you can check out shadowverse

Thanks for the recommendations on HS-likes all. Have definitely heard good things about Gwent and Duelyst so will probably give those a shot first. Funny thing about me is I actually really like RNG hahah.

patchday

Duelyst strikes me as money grubbing. Originally during their kickstart they promised you'd get all cards. After they got their money they 360'ed and went booster packs. Then later when they released an expac they actually lowered their legend drop rates.

I only boot it up to play offline lol and havent even done that in awhile.

Good game if you dont care bout them being greedy. Gwent seems a lot more straight up too me

Granted I'm not playing any of those. I'll make a post bout Rival Books in a bit. They promising an interesting monetary model. no booster packs etc. It's like an expandable card game from what I'm reading. It's on Steam

Bout to boot up RFTG in a bit too keep putting off. I'm sure I'll dig it

-----

Also there is the Digital Epic Card game. Waiting on that to hit early access. Playing the alpha a little right now on Steam since I was a backer. includes all the cards. no grinding at all

PittaGAF

What a time to be alive for digital card games.

Super addicted to both Age of Rivals and Race for the Galaxy.

Great games.

PittaGAF

I'm totally addicted to Race for the Galaxy.
If anyone wants to play I'm always up for a game...my friend code is: W3YZBJ22
I'm playing the vanilla game for now with NW on, but I'll buy expansions soon.

Quasar

Well I finally got a response from Sage about their 64bit plans.

Thanks for your interest! Rest assured, we do indeed intend to update our apps to 64bit compatibility.

Ra has already been converted and updated on the App Store already, and we are currently working on Le Havre and Brief History of the World.

Tigris & Euphrates and Tikal should be updated before the “App-ocalypse” but need a bit more work to support the latest device resolutions.

Medici is at the most risk because it needs much more than just a 64bit rebuild, but we will be doing our best to update it too - or at least return it to the App Store as soon as possible.

We appreciate your continued loyalty and patience - your support means a lot to us. If you’d like to help us even more, you can encourage your fellow board game enthusiasts to buy our games - we will be having a summer sale this weekend!

Sincerely,

Sage Board Games / Codito Development Inc.

Was a bit fearful I'd lose things like La Havre. Hope they manage to update Medici.

patchday

Havent had spare time to play RFTG and stuff like I wanted but I really like the game. I guess I really like building my own decks preferably although the scifi backdrop of RFTG overcomes that. Very deep game too. Still didnt even play Books of Asher yet

What a time to be alive for digital card games.

Super addicted to both Age of Rivals and Race for the Galaxy.

Great games.

Yeah I really dig Rivals

JPS Kai

Might buy this. Was initially disappointed they decided to go random cards / dice but been playing Disgea a bit to scratch that other type of itch

It's not random of either. You have a deck of abilities that automatically get upgraded as characters level and can customize, kind of like Baten Kaitos. You also get new dice as random loot drops that will affect every one of that character's rolls.

The dice aspect is pretty meh, but I can see what they're going for here.

I've been enjoying Children of the Zodiarcs. I almost wish I had chosen the harder difficulty level, but also I got my ass kicked during an Elite Skirmish, so maybe it's good that I didn't

HotHamBoy

Faeria just released their 30 card expansion. I'm really confused about how you get the new cards. Are they integrated into regular boosters or do you *have* to buy the bundle that says 30 cards will be added to your collection?

Krosmaga's new expansion came out in June and I can say by now that it has been fantastic. The meta is good, the new cards and mechanics and God are fun. My favorite CCG right now.

I miss Solforge...

Top Bottom