• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: GTA 5's next-gen grass compared

vesvci

Banned
Wow.

That is FAR greater than last generation's Red Dead Redemption differences... differences which could have been erased had Rockstar invested the effort and money to tap further into the SPUs on Cell to boost rendering at the time the game was released.

There's no such well of squandered potential on the XBO, just a significantly smaller GPU and far less effective memory bandwidth.

Top work Digital Foundry. It would have fascinated me no end had these differences been picked up by NeoGAF AFTER the full DF analysis hit. Actually, no it wouldn't.

Suddenly such differences shouldn't affect one's purchasing decision... pretty sure a 2fps advantage and a few extra blades of grass made the choice crystal clear last generation. Never mind the crushed blacks and compressed audio.

I'd REALLY love to see Digital Foundry's list of shareholders.

I know I'm coming off caffeine high, and my reading comprehension may be spotty....but what was your point?

This almost makes me feel like "dare I say" Rockstar is purposely gimping the xb1 version in some area for comparison sake. Sony putting that extra PS+ money to use y'all.
It's not like Rockstar can just magically pull extra juice out of nowhere to make the game run at 1080p 30fps on the xbone with no compromise.

Lucent

Ya man totally, me too. My psn ID is JoeCanada

Excatly... the dual shock 4 features for this game is top tier, and unmatched.

QFT.

Swiping the touchpad for the radio and guns and stuff is great. It's like a big button with about 6 functions.
The quick swipe for grenade throws is cool too.

I love the speaker use for phone calls and the flashing lights during the police chase is a fun addition too.

I find the controller it's self to be just as good as the 360 one in terms of handling too.

lol!

Yeah I much prefer the dualshock 4. That touchpad I was feeling iffy about when I heard about it, but it allows for a lot of cool features not possible with the back button on the X1 pad.

onanie

In a GTA game, the amount of Grass is not a priority for me.

Now,
if this was the Red Dead Redemption Remastered version, Grass would be.
I'd be *throwing money at screen* for the Ps4 version.

I think Leadbeater would understand this reference.

So what there's less grass on the Xbox One version, I think the fact that the XBO has a better friends list and joystick makes it better for my preferences. My achievements and friends are better than more grass.

A lawnmower will probably be DLC for the PC version.

Shaneus

CVk5WNs.gif
Negative points for not changing "ass" to "grass".

le.phat

So what there's less grass on the Xbox One version, I think the fact that the XBO has a better friends list and joystick makes it better for my preferences. My achievements and friends are better than more grass.

Your preference has nothing to do with the quality of a friends list or joysticks lmao.

quetz67

Banned
I can't understand how grass and foliage is not important to people. It is one of the things bugging me most for generations that grassland was alway flat or had some stupid texture effects on it to fake grass.

It may not be the most important part of a GTA game, but the added grass and foliage was alway the main point of the "this is next gen GTA" comparison videos. And now it feels like XB1 fails to deliver that next gen promise much like the Wii U or at least is stuck halfway through.

Again, not that important for this special game, but what difference will it make in GTA VI where they won't use this advantage only for some nice meadows. How about the insane amount of trees in Drivelub, which we will probably never see in an XB1 game and how about games like Witcher 3 where the added foliage would really make a nice difference throughout the game if they use the extra power?

Unity as the first real next gen graphics game fails to use this extra power, which is probably due to XB1 being lead platform and PS4 being an "afterthought" but as soon as this changes, what differences will we see when rather the XB1 becomes the afterthought?

shandy706

To contribute to the actual technical talk.

I knew I had seen the sun/blue lens flare and I saw it again last night near a beach. It's very subtle/transparent on the X1, but it's there and I saw it all the time, but didn't record until after it was mentioned "missing". It only shows up if the camera is at a certain angle. I've seen it cast off of the sun and off of regular white lights around buildings in first person.

Here's a quick gif, I kept the sun on the edge of the screen and move back and forth quickly to try and make it obvious. Short and sweet here.

npvric.gif

Vizzeh

Banned
This probably belongs here, posted in another thread but clearly more relevant here.

RGT's screenshots on GTA5.

10576773_994489243911637_1024998283_o.jpg

10825031_994490843911477_542104584_o.jpg

Lace

This probably belongs here, posted in another thread but clearly more relevant here.

Is this only in certain areas or is this widespread? I don't really understand why foliage would be significantly different

Vizzeh

Banned
Is this only in certain areas or is this widespread? I don't really understand why foliage would be significantly different

Check out their video here for a good side by side ps4 v x1 comparison. For more on the image above

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DH15UZVPsX8&feature=youtu.be

I think they have another video going up tomorrow judging by the commentary. There are probably a few screen-shotable area's in that video for comparison but its quite interesting anyway.

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
Check out their video here for a good side by side ps4 v x1 comparison. For more on the image above

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DH15UZVPsX8&feature=youtu.be

I think they have another video going up tomorrow judging by the commentary. There are probably a few screen-shotable area's in that video for comparison but its quite interesting anyway.

Could this guy go on for another 20 minutes about foliage because that was so damn interesting.

too bad there is nothing objective about your post

malfcn

Here is an example of why resolution isn't everything.
When a game is announced as having the same res, or even same frame rate people knee-jerk react and call it tragic or lazy on the devs.

But there are still differences.
1080p just says how many pixels are displayed, it doesn't describe the quality of the pixels or geometry or other calculations.
Same thing with frame rate, by itself 30 or 60 means nothing. There are variables, or locks or adaptive syncs and res to control consistency.

Even if the res gap eventually closes between the 2 platforms, there are always going to be differences between the two. As an Xbox owner I am not surprised when the PS4 version has a few extra details considering the GPU and set up.

wow that's more than I would have expected.. that's too bad. genuinely I would have probably lowered res or other effects before i lowered the grass...

i know grasslol got made fun of a lot early on but a week into the game and and the grass makes a huge difference

i'd argue that the added grass to the countryside has improved the game just as much as the added traffic density AND variety to the cities.

and it does affect gameplay... watching a huge grass fire start after an explosion is pretty awesome. that grass fire will spread if there's more grass, and that can effect other objects like cops you're fighting, other cars, etc.

wow that's more than I would have expected.. that's too bad. genuinely I would have probably lowered res or other effects before i lowered the grass...

i know grasslol got made fun of a lot early on but a week into the game and and the grass makes a huge difference

i'd argue that the added grass to the countryside has improved the game just as much as the added traffic density AND variety to the cities.

and it does affect gameplay... watching a huge grass fire start after an explosion is pretty awesome. that grass fire will spread if there's more grass, and that can effect other objects like cops you're fighting, other cars, etc.

WTF, I did not know that is in the game. Cool!

Did nobody notice the trees are completely static as in they don't move in the wind like on ps3?
I'm still in LS so I haven't really went to Paleto forest yet but.... I was sure the trees swayed in the wind in that official Rockstar comparison video.

sirap

I love driving offroad in GTAV, that's pretty uch all I do in the game. So yeah, having that extra bit of grass does enhance the experience, especially in first person

Top Bottom