• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: GTA V PS4 and Xbox One compared in new frame-rate stress test.

On Demand

Banned
Yea it is just faulty analysis.

It is just as easy to say that MS have improved their API to such a degree that it now outperforms the PS4 API in certain tasks. Now I have no basis to believe that to be the case but it is just as valid an argument as this CPU bound nonsense.

Correct. Or just regular development issues.

-griffy-

Banned
The performance video is designed to showcase the worst case scenarios, though. Having put hours into the game I can safely say that slowdown is barely an issue. The game holds a very steady frame-rate the vast majority of the time (on PS4 at least). It's doing some pretty impressive effects as well, though, which I wouldn't want to see cut as they add a tremendous amount to the visuals.
Exactly. There's a lot of hyperbole in this thread. Last gen had trouble even hitting 30 in regular gameplay, let alone consistently staying there, and dropped to 20 (and probably the teens), when things got hectic.

Whereas here we see it staying at 30 for the vast majority of play, and dropping to the mid 20's at worst when things start to get crazy. And that's with a full 1080p, increased texture resolution/filtering, better shadows, better AA, increased draw distance, extensive parallax mapping, better lighting, increased traffic/pedestrian density, new foliage system, higher poly models, etc etc etc.

Its more than playable. I couldn't stand GTA4PS3 because of the framerate (and drab setting) but GTA5 looks good, runs well and the setting is far more pleasing to my eyes.
Dropping below 30fps better not be a trend this gen though. I will give GTA5 a free pass because it's a last gen port with completely different hardware architecture.

Seriously with the sub 30fps stuff on current gen. Its really ridiculous. Shows you how underpowered both systems are, and particularly how crappy the CPUs are. And this is an upscaled remake to boot.

There is no way they make it past 5 years for this gen. The hardware can't support it.

Ya think?

Elios83

Next up: "But who has more animals in the forest? Join us in our hunting session!!"
Honestly so many articles for a single face off, updates when patches (especially day one) are released making previous comparisons pretty pointless, Digital Foundry/Eurogamer are really trying hard to maximize their hits out of every single comparison.
Not seeing anything here that warrants a specific article, both games are 30fps with a few slowdowns here and there, they happen in different situations? Guess what, they're different platforms with different optimizations, trying to find the specific moment when one performs better than the other just to create nitpicking drama and write an other article isn't really an interesting thing in my opinion.

The Llama

The performance video is designed to showcase the worst case scenarios, though. Having put hours into the game I can safely say that slowdown is barely an issue. The game holds a very steady frame-rate the vast majority of the time (on PS4 at least). It's doing some pretty impressive effects as well, though, which I wouldn't want to see cut as they add a tremendous amount to the visuals.

Don't forget the original version of ZOE2. An absolute travesty. The fact that HexaDrive came along and reworked the whole thing into something infinitely superior should show how important optimization really is.

Really depends on where you play the game, tbh. I like to drive around the city and hardly ever go out into the countryside, so I see a LOT of slowdown (not constant or anything, but it's there). Now, does it affect gameplay? Not really. But is it an issue? Sure. But then, if I spent most of my playtime out in the desert and mountains, it definitely wouldn't be an issue at all.

Ishida

Banned
Exactly. There's a lot of hyperbole in this thread. Last gen had trouble even hitting 30 in regular gameplay, let alone consistently staying there, and dropped to 20 (and probably the teens), when things got hectic.

Whereas here we see it staying at 30 for the vast majority of play, and dropping to the mid 20's at worst when things start to get crazy. And that's with a full 1080p, increased texture resolution/filtering, better shadows, better AA, increased draw distance, extensive parallax mapping, better lighting, increased traffic/pedestrian density, new foliage system, higher poly models, etc etc etc.

Well, everything some people can do for their "underpowered consoles" concern trolling.

Derpyduck

Banned
After playing this for maybe 8 hrs I have no problem with the framerate. R* did an admirable job.

I don't have much of a problem either, online or single player, but it was clear right away when you get into a car as Franklin during his first mission that the framerate wasn't a solid 30 (PS4). I've yet to see it get to the point that the 360 version often got to though, which made it hard to drive at times.

shandy706

So both systems perform pretty well across the board and both have a few small areas where the frame-rate drops a few frames for a short period of time.

The next-gen build is excellent. The graphics are incredible too...heck of an upgrade in many ways across the board.

R* really delivered well on upgrading such a massive game.

Alienous

Seriously with the sub 30fps stuff on current gen. Its really ridiculous. Shows you how underpowered both systems are, and particularly how crappy the CPUs are. And this is an upscaled remake to boot.

There is no way they make it past 5 years for this gen. The hardware can't support it.

I feel like they're too similar to PCs to have surprise juice left in them after 5 years. I feel like by that point they will be pretty tapped out efficiently.

So.. AC:Unity isn't the only game that seems to tax the console hardware making them dip below the 30fps threshold...

This is a stress test.

The developers deliberately are trying to cause more taxing events on screen so as to observe the frame rate.

AC:U on PS4 runs in the high teens and low 20s simply by playing the game as intended. It chugs even during very standard scenes.

goonergaz

even with the dips where PS4 drops lower than the XBO it's nigh on impossible to confirm if that's not because there's more traffic, it seems all scenarios where both consoles are doing the same things PS4>XBO (see 1:10 to1:40 for a couple of examples where the traffic is 'scripted' rather than random)

omonimo

Banned
Travelling at speed through city junctions - such as Strawberry Avenue - turns out to be a particular Achilles Heel on PS4, with sustained drops to around the 24-26fps range at their worst. It's a situation that also applies to Xbox One, but to a consistently lesser degree when testing under the precise same conditions (and borne out in repeated tests). Put simply, in areas where junctions are stacked up one after the other, the Sony platform suffers more prolonged frame-rate drops when burning through traffic with your foot jammed to the floor. It's an interesting, recurring scenario that points to a CPU bottleneck, where Xbox One's increased clock-speed has an advantage when racing around these busy sections.
Dat juicy overclocked cpu. Xone suffers of less prolonged frame-rate drops. A new achievement for the new era of console face off. The mistery it's what the fuck it means.

Guile

Banned
really disappointing to see both can't keep a steady 30. i mean, were talking about a remaster here.

RIP 8th gen

11173530003_a732eebaee_o.gif

Sub 30? Well technically, yeah.

Even if you took the average frame rate over hours and hours of gameplay, you may even get 29.8 fps with a small standard deviation.

Games have dips. Especially during stressful moments.
I'm sorry if the PS4 version is just unplayable for you. Everyone else seems to be having a good time.

If we sat on the couch together and played GTA 5, and I had access to the frame rate and you didn't, I wouldn't be surprised if you missed several split second frame rate drops that actually occurred.

nkarafo

25 fps is unacceptable this day and age. We already had this problem with the ps3-360 versions.

PC version it is. I hope its gonna be a decent port...

omonimo

Banned
really disappointing to see both can't keep a steady 30. i mean, jeez, were talking about a remaster here.

RIP 8th gen

They have said to understressed the engine, it means it's pushed over its limits.
25 fps is unacceptable this day and age. We already had this problem with the ps3-360 versions.

Maybe it's time someone start to understand what means understress an engine. Probably in AC Unity it means 15 - 19 fps of average.

really disappointing to see both can't keep a steady 30. i mean, jeez, were talking about a remaster here.

RIP 8th gen

Gen is still gonna be fine but don't expect a ton of stuff that requires a lot of CPU power. I doubt we'll see a big jump in physics and shit.

TyrantII

A lot of devs have trouble with CPUs in general. Even on PC. We just got out of a generation where one core would be dialed to 100% and the others ignored in PC platforms, let alone consoles. The PS3 was criticized widely for its cell architecture which was meant for multi threading on steroids.

Give them time. Its not rocket science but its close.

Especially when the CPU is most likely still being used over GPGPU, mostly because these cross platform engines haven't had time to account for it.

I'm starting to feel kind of underwhelmed with the performance of the new hardware. Obviously, PC performance is always going to be better just because its an ever-evolving platform with no fixed specs, but we should at least be seeing solid/locked 30fps frame rates if not 60 for some of these games, especially remasters. I haven't seen anything so far on either console that has blown me away visually, screaming this is why we need new hardware, and stuff like this and even Dragon Age running at 30fps is kind of worrisome. I kind of think it would have been better to, instead of buying both consoles, simply invested that money into a new PC.

Did everyone watch the video or just looking at the captured screenshot of the lowest framerate? 95% of it had the framerate locked at 30. Play the game. It is definitely a more smooth experience compared to last gen.

RetroStu

Banned
I'm starting to feel kind of underwhelmed with the performance of the new hardware. Obviously, PC performance is always going to be better just because its an ever-evolving platform with no fixed specs, but we should at least be seeing solid/locked 30fps frame rates if not 60 for some of these games, especially remasters. I haven't seen anything so far on either console that has blown me away visually, screaming this is why we need new hardware, and stuff like this and even Dragon Age running at 30fps is kind of worrisome. I kind of think it would have been better to, instead of buying both consoles, simply invested that money into a new PC.

The problem with the new consoles is that they should be 4 years old now, not 1 year old.
Pure power wise, they are the usual 8-10 times jump we usually get between generations, its just that they came out 3 years later than usual.

Ziggs

Neo Member
I opened my PS4 copy last night and the frame drops become very apparent right after the prologue. Extremely disappointed... Not sure how I'm supposed to do high speed chases when the frame rate can't keep up. Call me the grinch, but I wasn't impressed by the graphics either, would much rather have a higher frame rate. But atleast there's grass, right?

Alienous

I opened my PS4 copy last night and the frame drops become very apparent right after the prologue. Extremely disappointed... Not sure how I'm supposed to do high speed chases when the frame rate can't keep up. Call me the grinch, but I wasn't impressed by the graphics either, would much rather have a higher frame rate. But atleast there's grass, right?

It's not too late for you to take it back, is it?

Teletraan1

Banned

So why not dial back any of the 12 things not including 3 etcs you mentioned to get a rock solid 30? Some of those things stress a GPU others a CPU. You basically provided a list of things they didn't need to improve at the expense of what should have been a solid 30fps frame rate target. Stuttering while driving is not what I consider hectic it is something you do all the time in a game called grand theft auto. They dropped the ball plain and simple.

And it is at this point I can no longer relate.
I like a stable frame rate as much as anyone else. I can notice drops in frames just as well as other people.

But it honestly seems that people are willing to dismiss this game if it were to drop to 25 fps for a brief moment because you put in a cheat code to spawn 10 jets next to each other and then have them all blow up.

"OMG it dropped some frames! Unacceptable!"

Really?

omonimo

Banned
The supposition from DF is pretty shameless.

It's not DF, it's Leadbetter. That's why I don't like at all his analysis; everytime I'm reading stuff like this, I can't stop to laugh. I mean, try to extrapolate an evidence of the advantages of the 10 % of cpu overclocking, it's ... ok I don't know what is it, but it's not healthy for his own mind. Still curious if we were in the reverse situation where ps4 was the xbone hardware, if really he would care to find such stuff. I have some great doubt.

Ishida

Banned

wtf-is-this-shit.jpg

I think it looks amazing and the dips don't affect gameplay, but just from playing about 30 mins there have been 2-3 times where I thought "Ouch man the frame rate".

Talk about a very suspect posting history.

So, basically, DF delayed PS4 frame rate analysis until everyone unsealed their PS4 copy.

Please, don't return your PS4 copy.

Biased DF!

Let me remove your tin-foil hat for you....

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-grand-theft-auto-5-performance-analysis

Quite where the PlayStation 4 version fits into the equation remains unknown at this precise moment. While we were able to acquire the Xbox One version ahead of time, we'll be buying the PS4 version on release day along with everyone else. We'll report back with more analysis and some initial comparisons as soon as we can.

-griffy-

Banned
So why not dial back any of the 12 things not including 3 etcs you mentioned to get a rock solid 30? Some of those things stress a GPU others a CPU. You basically provided a list of things they didn't need to improve at the expense of what should have been a solid 30fps frame rate target. Stuttering while driving is not what I consider hectic it is something you do all the time in a game called grand theft auto. They dropped the ball plain and simple.

I don't know. Ask Rockstar. They obviously struck a balance between new and improved tech vs. performance that they found acceptable, that is still a categorical improvement in framerate in every conceivable way compared to the PS3/360 versions.

They dialed back grass LOD on certain selected areas on Xone and they got a couple of threads, one of them counting 30 pages, here on GAF.

Imagine if they dare to dial back traffic/NPC densitisty for PS4's weaker CPU.

Eusis

Unlikely, they will have been binned and tested based on the current clock speed, at the current voltage settings with the current cooler. While 90% of consoles may be able to support the increased clock speed without upgrading the cooling system or increasing the voltage there will be a few that will not because the particular chip only just passed the tests at the desired speed bin.
Yeah, the only reason this ever happened with PSP was that all of them passed for the higher clock speed, then were downclocked for the sake of battery life. You can't really do the inverse without possibly having the shitstorm to end all shitstorms on your hands.

vesvci

Banned
So, both versions (besides the added foliage on PS4) are very comparable. Hardly surprising, it's a last gen game after all.

Top Bottom