• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: GTA V PS4 and Xbox One compared in new frame-rate stress test.

brobban

Which platform? I've got the PS4 version and I'm usually quite sensitive for frame drops, but this remaster is FAR from the mess we got on PS360. I can easily ignore those, in my case, infrequent drops.

PS4. I agree that it's MUCH better than last gen versions, but I still notice framedrops quite often (every time i drive around in the city).

More that porting code from the previous gen to current gen is not a straightforward task. They run totally different base architectures.

This. I remember Naughty Dog saying how incredibly difficult it was to even get TLoU:R running on the PS4. I wouldn't ever use a remaster as an accurate representation of what either console can do.

shandy706

grandtheftautov_201410pba1.jpg

Watch out for that stingray!

He thinks he's hidden.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
It's a port-over, in the first year of the generation.

In other words...yes, to your last question :)

Or to put it another way, I'm sure GTAVI in 2 or 3 years will blow this out of the water, on the same consoles.

Yes. I think so too.

I myself havent yet encountered any frame drop, on any situation...My friend does notice framedrop on high speeds, my game remains solid 30. It might have to do with how many games you have installed maybe ? (my ps4 is new)

gioGAF

Leadbetter is trash. Whenever I read excerpts from a Digital Foundry article and it starts sounding like MS propaganda, I can bet Leadbetter is behind it. This performance "update" is so lame. He glancingly mentions that the PS4 version runs better and then he spends the remainder of the update going on about how the xbone performs better in this one particular situation, while heavily downplaying any PS4 advantage.

I really hope Leadbetter is directly receiving a check from MS, since at least that way there is good reasoning behind the turds that come out of his mouth/keyboard.

EGM1966

Lots of uninformed opinions goingbmon here.

One, porting forward code does not autuomatically mean itll run better easy peasy. In fact its likely to be the opposite. Emulation requires a lot fvhorsepower to run old games and while tjis isnt emulation its taking code designed and optimized for one architecture to another one. The result, without extensive re-writes, is code that will perform worse than native code: i.e. Code ported from 360 to XB1 or PS3 to PS4 is likely to perform worse than code written specificcaly for the PS4 or XB1. People need to realize that remasters are harder to squeeze performance from vs native titles.

Two this isnt an applesbto apples comparison. The two versions are close to parity but there remain notable differences as called out by DF themselves meaning there diect comparisons arent quite direct comparisons. How would the PS4 perform if it only had to render the same content as XB1? Coversely how would the XB1 perform if it had to match the extra elements present in PS4.

Bottom line its seems like a fairly solid port on both that doesnt perform totally smoothly on either platform. Perhaps if they scaled back extra effects on PS4 they could hit an almost solid 30fps and perhaps if they scaled XB1 back a little further again that could be more solid too. Or they could have invested further effort into optimization on each where its needed.

They didnt but even as domeone whose lukewarm about GTA at the best of times id argue overall given the scale of the game and the challenges of porting code forward Rockstar did a pretty damn good job.

BNGames

Way too many self entitled people in this thread. Oh your sub $500 box doesn't always hit a consistent 30fps every moment? Than buy PC hardware and wait for that port. I have the PS4 version and it is perfectly fine.

Dmented

Banned
This. I remember Naughty Dog saying how incredibly difficult it was to even get TLoU:R running on the PS4. I wouldn't ever use a remaster as an accurate representation of what either console can do.

Possibly, but there was always the hint that a PC version has been in development from the start with some PC related files being in the 360/PS3 versions. If that is the case then most likely GTAV was not ported from 360/PS3 but from the PC version which would be much much easier to work with. TLoU however did not have a PC version of course and would be more difficult to port.

Who knows either way.

Lots of uninformed opinions goingbmon here.

One, porting forward code does not autuomatically mean itll run better easy peasy. In fact its likely to be the opposite. Emulation requires a lot fvhorsepower to run old games and while tjis isnt emulation its taking code designed and optimized for one architecture to another one. The result, without extensive re-writes, is code that will perform worse than native code: i.e. Code ported from 360 to XB1 or PS3 to PS4 is likely to perform worse than code written specificcaly for the PS4 or XB1. People need to realize that remasters are harder to squeeze performance from vs native titles.

Two this isnt an applesbto apples comparison. The two versions are close to parity but there remain notable differences as called out by DF themselves meaning there diect comparisons arent quite direct comparisons. How would the PS4 perform if it only had to render the same content as XB1? Coversely how would the XB1 perform if it had to match the extra elements present in PS4.

Bottom line its seems like a fairly solid port on both that doesnt perform totally smoothly on either platform. Perhaps if they scaled back extra effects on PS4 they could hit an almost solid 30fps and perhaps if they scaled XB1 back a little further again that could be more solid too. Or they could have invested further effort into optimization on each where its needed.

They didnt but even as domeone whose lukewarm about GTA at the best of times id argue overall given the scale of the game and the challenges of porting code forward Rockstar did a pretty damn good job.

If it was a port from the 360/PS3 versions, they're not going to go 360 > XB1 and PS3 > PS4. They're going to just use one and fit it to both. Porting both to their specific platforms would be such a waste of time and completely unnecessary.

And GTAV doesn't even drop to nearly the extent AC:U does and is also doing a considerable amount in game as well by any objective measure.

I'm sure it is doing a lot..certainly more than ISS. But just not doing the complexity in AC:U.

AC:U and GTAV are not even remotely the first games to drop below 30 on these consoles, by the way.

No, but AC:U is the most graphics intensive of the games on these consoles.

Krilekk

Banned
Grass has never been this cinematic.

No, seriously am I missing something here? Why is a last-gen up-port enhanced it may be chugging sub-30? Devs stop feeding this slop to us and demanding 60 dollars for it.

Yeah, stable framerate should have been the goal first.

Even then it is a lot different. The IBM PPC in the 360 is a RISC based CPU using the Power architecture, the AMD Jaguar is a CISC based CPU using X86 architecture. They work in a fundamentally different way.

True, but they didn't have problems with Max Payne. GTA4 was a bad port, and they didn't even want to touch RDR after it was finished. Maybe it is just super specific code.

omonimo

Banned
I'm sure it is doing a lot..certainly more than ISS. But just not doing the complexity in AC:U.

What exactly is intensive in Unity? I genuinely asking because npc a part, I missed the other details. It's ot but I want to hear something about this high tech in Unity.

AC Unity is not doing shit compared to GTA, despite NPCs and graphical effects that neither console can handle.

It's a port-over, in the first year of the generation.

In other words...yes, to your last question :)

Or to put it another way, I'm sure GTAVI in 2 or 3 years will blow this out of the water, on the same consoles.

And so the myth continues to provide hope to the hopeless..

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The more likely variant for them would be to free an additional CPU core. Right now, only 6 cores are available to games. It's hard to see what the OS is doing with two cores, so maybe there is a reserve there.

I don't think that an upclock is possible. If it were, why wouldn't they just have set the clock speed accordingly right from the beginning?

The PS4 is doing a fair bit in the background though. Twitch streaming with chat overlay, video of your face inset and chromakey background seems to be the most the OS does while still also playing a game.

UrbanRats

Weird, and honestly disappointing to see a game from last gen (albeit maybe the biggest game from last gen) still not hit a rock solid 30 fps. Really wish they would cut back on the effects to keep the frame-rate stable. At least give us the option to do so.

You want options, buy a PC.

What exactly is intensive in Unity? I genuinely asking because npc a part, I missed the other details. It's ot but I want to hear something about this high tech in Unity.

If you can't seriously look at the lighting/physically based shaders/ highly detailed textures and architecture in the game then I don't know what to say honestly. The game has massive detail in just about every asset. Take the "hand" in GTA5 used to dial your cell phone and compare it to the skin in AC:U. That's very compute intensive to get that kind of detail for skin. Notre Dame cathedral that has the stained glass windows that make the consoles drop to their knees? It's the shader complexity doing that. Maybe they can cut some corners and pull some more performance of the consoles to make it faster, but right now, they are using brute force to render the game... which is why the PCs can handle it and the consoles can not.

Possibly, but there was always the hint that a PC version has been in development from the start with some PC related files being in the 360/PS3 versions. If that is the case then most likely GTAV was not ported from 360/PS3 but from the PC version which would be much much easier to work with. TLoU however did not have a PC version of course and would be more difficult to port.

Who knows either way.

If it was a port from the 360/PS3 versions, they're not going to go 360 > XB1 and PS3 > PS4. They're going to just use one and fit it to both. Porting both to their specific platforms would be such a waste of time and completely unnecessary.
IMO I don't think Rockstar ported the game from PC. How can they port it from a version which hasn't been finished yet? Or maybe they just ported some parts of the game? I don't really know :p

The myth that games later in a console generation are notably superior in performance and graphics compared to its first launch year? Yeah, definitely not tried and tested for decades...

Yea.. tried and tested on hardware that wasn't basic PCs.. this generation is different. Accept it. These consoles are just basic PCs.. all the way from the hardware to the SDKs. Ther e is no secret-sauce to be extracted out -- which is why most of the exclusives have been locked at 30fps and still lacking advanced DX11 features. I have yet to see any game on console come out with tessellation active in an open world.

omonimo

Banned
If you can't seriously look at the lighting/physically based shaders/ highly detailed textures and architecture in the game then I don't know what to say honestly. The game has massive detail in just about every asset. Take the "hand" in GTA5 used to dial your cell phone and compare it to the skin in AC:U. That's very compute intensive to get that kind of detail for skin. Notre Dame cathedral that has the stained glass windows that make the consoles drop to their knees? It's the shader complexity doing that. Maybe they can cut some corners and pull some more performance of the consoles to make it faster, but right now, they are using brute force to render the game... which is why the PCs can handle it and the consoles can not.
Wait a minute, you are talk of shaders? Isn't it cpu bounded?

Popup

Perhaps straying a little from the main focus of this thread, I would really love to know how things currently stand with these Consoles.

Has the Xbox one API been honed or are devs beginning to leverage performance from it's architecture in more novel ways? Microsoft has certainly had enough incentives to improve the somewhat dire situation they seemed to have been placed in, early on this gen.

Maybe Sony have been resting on their laurels with regards to PS4 system development thus far?

Or are we simply starting to see bottlenecks and cracks starting to reveal themselves with regard to the chosen hardware routes? I would be interested to see some of the early Face Off's revisited to see if frame rates have improved during the course or the last year.

Despite having good reason, It's such a shame that we may never truly be privy to the inner goings on with regard to these platforms and have to surmise instead. Mind you, this is all pretty good fun, trying to work it all out, don't you think?

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
Not sure how they came to this conclusion when every segment minus two showed the X1 version dropping more frames even including high-speed chases.

IB4DKI1.jpg

I more surprised not more people are talking about the AF.
The far away shadows look atrocious!
Easily as bad as they were on the last gen consoles.

Wait a minute, you are talk of shaders? Isn't it cpu bounded?

It may be CPU bound.. but every game is both CPU and GPU bound depending on the circumstances. You can't possibly have a really low end CPU be able to send draw calls to the GPU at the same speed as a high end CPU. I think AC:U is both CPU and GPU bound which is why 900p is used instead of 1080p.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
It seems like the CPU is always going to fuck things up. AMD dropped the ball on their offerings big time. Sony should have upclocked it like MS did, the framerates would be a bit different

omonimo

Banned
It may be CPU bound.. but every game is both CPU and GPU bound depending on the circumstances. You can't possibly have a really low end CPU be able to send draw calls to the GPU at the same speed as a high end CPU. I think AC:U is both CPU and GPU bound which is why 900p is used instead of 1080p.
It run in the gpu of the xbone which is pratically a 7770 at 900p. Surely it's not that gpu bounded.

Yea.. tried and tested on hardware that wasn't basic PCs.. this generation is different. Accept it. These consoles are just basic PCs.. all the way from the hardware to the SDKs. Ther e is no secret-sauce to be extracted out -- which is why most of the exclusives have been locked at 30fps and still lacking advanced DX11 features. I have yet to see any game on console come out with tessellation active in an open world.

You're pretty wrong, at least in the case of the PS4:

Though based on AMD's GCN architecture, there are several known differentiating factors between the PS4's GPU and current-gen PC graphics cards featuring first-gen GCN architecture:

- An additional dedicated 20 GB/s bus that bypasses L1 and L2 GPU cache for direct system memory access, reducing synchronisation challenges when performing fine-grain GPGPU compute tasks.
- L2 cache support for simultaneous graphical and asynchronous compute tasks through the addition of a 'volatile' bit tag, providing control over cache invalidation, reducing the impact of simultaneous graphical and general purpose compute operations.
- An upgrade from 2 to 64 sources for compute commands, improving compute parallelism and execution priority control. This enables finer-grain control over load-balancing of compute commands including superior game-engine integration.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_4_technical_specifications#Graphics_processing_unit

Tainted

I've definitely noticed the frame drops on the PS4 when driving through the city. Slightly disappointed after watching some of those HQ streams prior to release, I was sure this thing was locked hard at 30fps

Its def a hell of alot better than the PS360 versions though.

Looking forward to seeing how the PC version pans out in Jan

The only way that was possible was if they binned the chip for the higher speed in the first place but only enabled the lower speed to start off with. In effect they would have underclocked the chip. There is no other way to guarantee that it would work at the higher speed grade for all the existing units.

That's exactly what they did while they waited for battery tech to catch up.

Guile

Banned
It's a thread about the framerate comparison of a game on 2 different plattforms. If you're not interested, why even enter?
Once upon a time we were satisified with movies not having color and sound, but guess what, standards change.

"Non gamers", get of your high horse. Been playing games since early 80s, and for the last 15 years I've always had issues with games not holding the low standard of 30 fps. Hell, I couldn't even play Perfect Dark due to the shitty framerate.
amen :)

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
People say that every. single. time. And it's simply not true. It's not about 'extracting' more power necessarily, it's about figuring out more clever algorithms that do things better and faster. More optimized math, better optimized parallelization, things like that, which require ingenuity and new thinking, rather than making old algorithms run faster. As a recent example, you have an AA method like HRAA now which runs in same frame time as FXAA on the same hardware, but blows it out of the water in terms of quality.
If you want to talk about actually extracting more power of of something, that too is not out of the question. Just look at the Tomorrow Children presentation and how they've done something that's exactly that, using unconventional methods. Or look at something like Infamous: First Light that achieves 20-30% better frame rate in exact same scenes compared to original game, which they've accomplished just by some smarter data packing in a few months time. This is all on a machine that's easy to develop for, and in case of XB1 the advancement in the last year has only been more dramatic (see CoD:Ghost vs. CoD:AW)

Top Bottom