• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry hands-on Quantum Break (XB1)

T.O.P

Banned
Just saw this. Now i'll be trying it with everything in the game.
0IIBogE.gif

LAWD

I was really curious if the game was reconstructing a higher res image when it was still via accumulation (it looked like it) in the videos.

Awesome to get a confirmation.

dr_rus

For PC experts here, I have a question. Since Windows Store games don't support overlays, how am I supposed to tell my framerate? I want to be able to get a locked 60, and it's going to be a real pain in the ass to adjust the settings if I don't know what kind of performance I'm getting.

I have a 980Ti, by the way.

If you won't be able to tell whether you have locked 60 or not by just looking at the screen then why do you even bother?

You can use PresentMon to see your frametimes. Probably won't help much with determining if you have a locked 60 or not however.

Trup1aya

For PC experts here, I have a question. Since Windows Store games don't support overlays, how am I supposed to tell my framerate? I want to be able to get a locked 60, and it's going to be a real pain in the ass to adjust the settings if I don't know what kind of performance I'm getting.

I don't know the answer two your question, but if you can't notice framerate issues without an overlay, then how would knowledge of the exact framerate benefit you?

etta

my hard graphic balls
If you won't be able to tell whether you have locked 60 or not by just looking at the screen then why do you even bother?

You can use PresentMon to see your frametimes. Probably won't help much with determining if you have a locked 60 or not however.

I don't know the answer two your question, but if you can't notice framerate issues without an overlay, then how would knowledge of the exact framerate benefit you?
Errr, because there might be difference in drops that isn't noticeable? Can you tell the difference between 57 and 52 fps? Or 52 and 48?

dr_rus

Errr, because there might be difference in drops that isn't noticeable? Can you tell the difference between 57 and 52 fps? Or 52 and 48?

Why would I want to tell that difference? If you're running at 60 then it's easy to see usually. If you're not then what does it matter if it's 52 or 48?

etta

my hard graphic balls
Why would I want to tell that difference? If you're running at 60 then it's easy to see usually. If you're not then what does it matter if it's 52 or 48?
Because different settings cost different amounts of frames?

Zedox

I live by this rule regarding framerates...if I can't tell, then it doesn't matter. One of the reasons why I don't do overlays to look at FPS (I used to, especially during my Counter-strike days). If i'm enjoying the game, me knowing a specific number or if it dropped some frames doesn't help if I don't notice it.

Genio88

Just saw this. Now i'll be trying it with everything in the game.
0IIBogE.gif

This game is just awesome, will be for sure my game of the gen like Alan Wake was for last gen, can't wait for it, especially can't wait for Microsoft to send me the Windows 10 code, i'm confident that despite the 720p it'll be gorgeous on Xbox One, though i want to play it maxed out on PC, such a great game deserves the best quality available

dr_rus

So if I'm 5 fps away from 60 I'd rather turn off a setting that saves me 5-7 fps than one that saves me 10-15 fps?

Well, turn off the first one and if that won't be enough turn off the second one after that. What's the problem?

Well, turn off the first one and if that won't be enough turn off the second one after that. What's the problem?

For real?

Because it's a shit ton of work for no reason as opposed to simply being able to use an overlay and lock your FPS down.

And how do you know which option is more itensive without a counter? I'm sure it's pretty hard to spot one option tanking the FPS by 9 and differentiate it from another dropping it by 6-7.

gamz

I live by this rule regarding framerates...if I can't tell, then it doesn't matter. One of the reasons why I don't do overlays to look at FPS (I used to, especially during my Counter-strike days). If i'm enjoying the game, me knowing a specific number or if it dropped some frames doesn't help if I don't notice it.

I do this for HDTV's also. I once got it professionally calibrated and hated it. I do it myself and if it's good for my eyes it's good enough.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Because I don't know if I'm at 55 exactly, and I don't know how much exactly each setting saves me, not without RTSS.
In general, I can tell if the fps is in the 10-15 range, I can tell if it's around 20, I can tell if it's 30, but beyond that it's harder to tell. I can tell if it's in the mid 40's, and I can tell if it's 60 or above. That still leaves a pretty high margin of error.
But if you can't tell you're at 55fps without a framerate counter why do you care?
Because I can tell that it's below 60. In fact it's pretty easy to notice if the game is below the refresh rate, you'll get some minor judder and stutter, but I wouldn't be able to tell if it was 53 or 58.

pezley

Banned
lol that is the pure defiition of FPS bragging if you can't tell the difference yep need it to hit 60fps you are giving up the pretties for literally nothing.

So if I'm 5 fps away from 60 I'd rather turn off a setting that saves me 5-7 fps than one that saves me 10-15 fps?
So test both and since they will both get you to the constant 60fps you desire keep the one that you like the most independent of cost?

etta

my hard graphic balls
So test both and since they will both get you to the constant 60fps you desire keep the one that you like the most independent of cost?
Well this is a simple model with just two settings. Most games will have many settings, and the performance impact between settings will not be linear. Between low and medium lighting it could be 10fps, medium and high could have a 15fps difference while high and ultra could be 4fps.

dr_rus

For real?

Because it's a shit ton of work for no reason as opposed to simply being able to use an overlay and lock your FPS down.

And how do you know which option is more itensive without a counter? I'm sure it's pretty hard to spot one option tanking the FPS by 9 and differentiate it from another dropping it by 6-7.
Wat? Work? Changing settings is work? Wat?

How do you know which option is more intensive if you can't see if you're running at 60 with your own eyes? And what does it even matter to you if you can't see shit? Play at whatever fps you have.

Because I don't know if I'm at 55 exactly, and I don't know how much exactly each setting saves me, not without RTSS.
In general, I can tell if the fps is in the 10-15 range, I can tell if it's around 20, I can tell if it's 30, but beyond that it's harder to tell. I can tell if it's in the mid 40's, and I can tell if it's 60 or above. That still leaves a pretty high margin of error.

Because I can tell that it's below 60. In fact it's pretty easy to notice if the game is below the refresh rate, you'll get some minor judder and stutter, but I wouldn't be able to tell if it was 53 or 58.

Great, so you can tell this. Now you can go and lower some settings to make the game run at 60 which you should be able to see with your eyes. Problem solved?

Well this is a simple model with just two settings. Most games will have many settings, and the performance impact between settings will not be linear. Between low and medium lighting it could be 10fps, medium and high could have a 15fps difference while high and ultra could be 4fps.
Yeah I know i was kinda just messing with you :p

But to be honest as a primarily console gamer I find the idea of spec tuning kinda a waste of time. Every time i game on pc I just max out and then start tuning it down until it gives me a stable performance I feel comfortable with.

Wat? Work? Changing settings is work? Wat?

How do you know which option is more intensive if you can't see if you're running at 60 with your own eyes? And what does it even matter to you if you can't see shit? Play at whatever fps you have.

But I can. I can tell when a game isnt running at 60. So yes, it's a lot of guess work tinkering around with several settings to achieve locked 60 when all the different settings have varying levels of impact. It's a lot of guess work when one setting only affects FPS by 4 and another by 6 but there's no counter to tell you that. That's far more work then necessary to go achieve stable 60 at the maximum graphical capabilities of your PC without a frame rate counter.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Great, so you can tell this. Now you can go and lower some settings to make the game run at 60 which you should be able to see with your eyes. Problem solved?
So I guess you're not the type of person who cares what setting they turn off, whether they lower AO or lighting or evironmental geometry, to you it only matters that the fps improved.
However there are people who have preferences, I'd turn down lighting (if it's from ultra to high) before turning down AO (but AO before changing lighting from high to medium), because in most games there's not a distinctive enough difference between the upper lighting settings (ultra to high), except for games like Rainbow Six Siege where it makes a pretty big difference, so I'd turn down AO there before turning down lighting from high. But for Battlefield 4 I'd rather turn down lighting before I turn down terrain quality, or AO. So again it depends on the game, which is why we need exact fps costs so we can weigh our options.

dr_rus

But I can. I can tell when a game isnt running at 60. So yes, it's a lot of guess work tinkering around with several settings to achieve locked 60 when all the different settings have varying levels of impact. It's a lot of guess work when one setting only affects FPS by 4 and another by 6 but there's no counter to tell you that. That's far more work then necessary to go achieve stable 60 at the maximum graphical capabilities of your PC without a frame rate counter.

It's the exact same situation with tinkering with settings to achieve locked 60 no matter if you have an fps overlay or not. You should be able to see when you're running vsynced 60 fps and when you're not with your eyes. The rest is unimportant.

So I guess you're not the type of person who cares what setting they turn off, whether they lower AO or lighting or evironmental geometry, to you it only matters that the fps improved.
However there are people who have preferences, I'd turn down lighting (if it's from ultra to high) before turning down AO (but AO before changing lighting from high to medium), because in most games there's not a distinctive enough difference between the upper lighting settings (ultra to high), except for games like Rainbow Six Siege where it makes a pretty big difference, so I'd turn down AO there before turning down lighting from high. But for Battlefield 4 I'd rather turn down lighting before I turn down terrain quality, or AO. So again it depends on the game, which is why we need exact fps costs so we can weigh our options.

What stops you from doing any of that in the absence of fps readout?

Justinh

I forgot to try this when I had Rise of the Tomb Raider, but could you just leave the RTSS or PrecisionX chart/graph... thingy open with the framerate and frametime counter in the background and then run the program and alttab to check the history?

I don't know if that would work, but I wish I tried it when I still had the windows store version of RotTR.

What if, when xbox announces their new xboxone at e3, that they announce you can play all the uwp games at higher res because of its flexability :p

so then rotr and qb will actually look better on the newer xbox and be part of a bundle when it releases!!!!!! lol

nm, what am i thinking. that'll never happen!

dr_rus

Current and delta fps?

If you want to hit 60 what does it matter to you what delta you have from some setting? Change it, check the result, change again if you're still below 60. If you're at 60 then you may try increasing something and see if that'll stick. It's the exact same process with or without fps overlay.

nOoblet16

It takes 4 720p frames and combines them to make a 1080p image, not unlike what Killzone Shadowfall did in multiplayer. So it's not 1080p, but not exactly 720p either. It's similar to what rainbow 6 siege does.

It's quite likely KZ. It's always a temporal reconstruction. So it's native 720p.
It's not like Killzone.
1) Killzone Shadowfall uses temporal reprojection, Quantum Break uses temporal reconstruction. Not the same thing.
QB uses accumulation to construct a 1080P image from past from 720P frames image..when still. And it takes a small time to get up to full 1080P after stopping. Killzone 2 always displays 1080P, it renders interlaced 960*1080 one frame and then the same another frame, but fills up the gap caused from interlacing with data and prediction acquired from past frame, combines them and creates a full 1080P image ...even when moving (albiet with artifacting).

tldr: It's not like Killzone SF.

2) It's not like Rainbow Siz Siege either, that game uses MSAA samples to reconstruct a 1080P image, which is different from temporal reconstruction.
Reconstructed 1080P image and actual 1080P image in Siege are indistinguishable when both use temporal AA, without the TAA the reconstructed image has some minor jigsaw artifacts.

tldr: It's not like Siege either.

I can tell locked 60. In fact, even minor drops to 55 are noticeable. The thing I'm worried about is I won't know what settings to drop and how much of them to drop them if the framerate dips to 30s and 40s. A lot of modern games, especially graphically intensive ones fluctuate a lot, especially cause I play at 1440p.

Noobcraft

It's not like Killzone.
1) Killzone Shadowfall uses temporal reprojection, Quantum Break uses temporal reconstruction. Not the same thing.
QB uses accumulation to construct a 1080P image from past from 720P frames image..when still. And it takes a small time to get up to full 1080P after stopping. Killzone 2 always displays 1080P, it renders interlaced 960*1080 one frame and then the same another frame, but fills up the gap caused from interlacing with data and prediction acquired from past frame, combines them and creates a full 1080P image ...even when moving (albiet with artifacting).

tldr: It's not like Killzone SF.

2) It's not like Rainbow Siz Siege either, that game uses MSAA samples to reconstruct a 1080P image, which is different from temporal reconstruction.
Reconstructed 1080P image and actual 1080P image in Siege are indistinguishable when both use temporal AA, without the TAA the reconstructed image has some minor jigsaw artifacts.

tldr: It's not like Siege either.
Conceptually similar, functionally very different. You're right.

dr_rus

I can tell locked 60. In fact, even minor drops to 55 are noticeable. The thing I'm worried about is I won't know what settings to drop and how much of them to drop them if the framerate dips to 30s and 40s. A lot of modern games, especially graphically intensive ones fluctuate a lot, especially cause I play at 1440p.

I don't follow your logic. You can tell when you're running at locked 60 without an fps overlay but you can't tell if whatever setting you've dropped has resulted in you running at locked 60 now? How is testing the settings different between you having an fps overlay and not if what you want to get is locked 60 which you can see with your own eyes?

Top Bottom