• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Hands-on with DriveClub (second tech preview)

nib95

Banned
Digital Foundry: Hands-on with DriveClub

Some snippets.

It's a classic trade-off; one in favour of visual integrity over performance, putting the PS4's horsepower to use in different ways. Systems for depth-of-field, the lighting model and reflections have all been upgraded, alongside the eventual arrival of a weather system (coming after launch). But a drive through an overcast Scotland track in a Mercedes SLS screams aloud the team's proudest achievement.

"It's the whole dynamic nature of the game. Nothing's baked, nothing's faked. We run everything real-time, and some of the demonstrations I've done you can speed the time-of-day to up to 500 times and see all the clouds roll by," Perkins continues. "We've got a fully volumetric cloud system. You play the same track 20 times in a row and you'll get a different sunset every time. It all feeds back, and because of the atmospherics and the draw distances it's all mixed in - from the cars to the roads to the mountains to the skies."

Gamescom footage frame rate analysis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csWu0sxhzrU

From a direct digital feed of Sony's live Gamescom demo, it's a convincing, constant 30fps for the Scotland and Norway stages. And thankfully there are no frame-pacing issues to speak of, nor tearing during the PS4-driven gameplay. Save for the introduction of tearing during a debug 'orbital' mode towards the demo's end, it's a perfectly locked experience during regular gameplay.

2670750-4269673729-Excel.gif

To achieve DriveClub's consistency in lighting, reflections and effects across the world, a materials-based system is in place across all cars and tracks. Every surface is built to reflect light according to real-life values;

"We developed our own system for actually capturing surface data. You find that around the cars and throughout the world as well," Perkins explains. "And then, of course, we've got highly detailed information on the manufacturers. Wherever we can we've used the data actually used to build the cars. So CAD data in particular, [it's as] as good as the engineers have."

"We'll be adding things like screen-space effects to actually get all the water droplets on the screen. We'll get the wind-screen wipers working [too], that'll have a full simulation pass so that you get proper droplets," Perkins explains, using his own, private debug build to demonstrate. "It's all modelled. Because of the atmospherics system, everything has to be modelled. It all sits in and writes at the same level. It's one of those things that's really subtle and helps tie it all in."

The game's 1080p resolution is put to effective use too, producing one of the cleanest grades of image quality on PS4. And yet Evolution isn't content to leave it there, backing this full HD setup with an excess of techniques to tackle aliasing from every angle. Asked what anti-aliasing is fit for purpose in this case, DriveClub takes a no-compromise approach.

"It's a mixture. There's a pixel-based system that we're using, there's a temporal-based system, there's FXAA and there's actually a material-based system as well. We've only got four systems in place and we've got another for the key points that we don't quite hit. We obsess about the small details, so we're getting another one to go on top of that, to get on top of the very final image quality issues."

Asked if all these added passes for anti-aliasing add to the game's overall controller latency, Perkins quells the concern: "Everything needs to be immediate and direct for the player. We do everything as quickly as we can, because we want to get that across at 30 frames a second."

5KZInJ.jpg

sVTnnW.jpg

VeeP

The game looks gorgeous. For those who have played it whats it control like? Is it arcade style? More similar to a sim? Similar to Need 4 Speed, Forza, Horizons, Gran Turismo, etc.?

erale

I hope they didn't spend too much time implementing all those graphical features and forgot the gameplay...

stryke

The game's 1080p resolution is put to effective use too, producing one of the cleanest grades of image quality on PS4.

When I'm still able to see significant aliasing on the powerlines, then obviously those "four systems" aren't doing enough. Let's hope the extra one they've got in the pipeline addresses it.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I hope they didn't spend too much time implementing all those graphical features and forgot the gameplay...

Impressions have been pretty great from the last build. PGR influence shining through in every area.

I'll have to try it myself, but if it's true.. hype.

tskeeve

Good point, I bet the visuals team is poaching the gameplay design team to help deal with various anti-aliasing issues.

erale

AKA Order 1886 syndrome.

Well I'm looking at racing games here. Just look at rFactor2 on PC for example. All that high end physics features (tire model for example) and is it that more realistic and/or fan than Assetto Corsa? Also it's aweful to mod...

What I meant is, that more complex technical features sound nice on paper, but don't have to make the gameplay in any way better than without them.

The game's 1080p resolution is put to effective use too, producing one of the cleanest grades of image quality on PS4.

As I said in the other thread, I don't know about this. I haven't seen any footage that suggests it has a cleaner image than Second Son (Now there's a game with a stunning IQ). Maybe because Sony are hell-bent on releasing footage through YT and the like.

I guess we'll find out for ourselves soon enough. Only 30 days left...

stryke

Well I'm looking at racing games here. Just look at rFactor2 on PC for example. All that high end physics features (tire model for example) and is it that more realistic and/or fan than Assetto Corsa? Also it's aweful to mod...

What I meant is, that more complex technical features sound nice on paper, but don't have to make the gameplay in any way better than without them.

You're making some weird assumption that the people responsible for the graphics are taking away resources from the people responsible for the gameplay.

And going on about this in a DF tech thread too...

sublimit

Banned
They are seriously raising the graphics bar. Polyphony will have a hard time to catch up with these guys.

When I'm still able to see significant aliasing on the powerlines, then obviously those "four systems" aren't doing enough. Let's hope the extra one they've got in the pipeline addresses it.
No actual subsamples does that. Perhaps they should look into Phone-wire AA.

Curious why they chose FXAA for their PPAA instead of SMAA given everything we know about the two now. Surely their 30fps budget could allow that.

Maybe they want a softer look?

LCGeek

formerly sane
The graphics are off the charts... Goddamn if they somehow, magically pulled this off with 60fps.

Not possible and they admitted it. The GPU and CPU could never hope for it considering the specs. We should be pleased they did this with the hardware they have when better hardware still isn't being fully utilized like the PS4 is.

The AA techniques my god. I love the IQ in this game while I do like the lighting the fact it's a clear image and we can see so much details be it materials, lighting, environment is beyond me. There's no non sim game like this on the market which is a good thing cause I'm getting sick of trackmania.

They are seriously raising the graphics bar. Polyphony will have a hard time to catch up with these guys.

Is this based on reality? Considering what Polyphony has done with PS3 or PS2 hardware you're saying this without even knowing what the current team might be able to do.

Unfortunately, it is just a game where you drive a car across different locations. Nothing screams next-gen to me...
Somebody post that wonderful DriveClub concern GIF!

ethomaz

Banned
Unfortunately, it is just a game where you drive a car across different locations. Nothing screams next-gen to me...
But that is the goal of a racing game, no?

Which features in racing game can be next-gen? VR?

The only thing that would change things really is have a full damage model in there and maybe implement VR and have 60 fps.

What else do you expect in a racing game? I mean, in addition to actual racing, they have all the social features.

Some of the people behind PGR are working on this

You have no idea how happy I am to hear that. PGR2 was pretty much the main reason I bought the original Xbox.

sublimit

Banned
Is this based on reality? Considering what Polyphony has done with PS3 or PS2 hardware you're saying this without even knowing what the current team might be able to do.

PS1-PS2 Polyphony was God-tier but GT5 had many faces.Some were beautiful and some not so much. I didn't buy GT6 (first game in the series that i skipped) so i can't comment on that.

And i didn't say that they won't catch up just that they will have a hard time.Getting this graphics quality at a solid 60 fps is no easy task,but then again the tracks in GT7 will not be as big as DriveClub's so who knows.

As I said in the other thread, I don't know about this. I haven't seen any footage that suggests it has a cleaner image than Second Son (Now there's a game with a stunning IQ). Maybe because Sony are hell-bent on releasing footage through YT and the like.

I guess we'll find out for ourselves soon enough. Only 30 days left...
Mind you, I remember before Second son launched there were lots of concern over the IQ of that game too. They really chose some diabolical screenshots to release for that game. Some people tore it to shreds and then it came out and people were astounded and of course photo mode produced some gems.

I guess we could find the same again here.

But that is the goal of a racing game, no?

Which features in racing game can be next-gen? VR?
I think given they requested the concern gif that they were being sarcastic.

stryke

No actual subsamples does that. Perhaps they should look into Phone-wire AA.

The problem is still pretty bad even when it's more than just a few pixels wide.

"It's something that obviously we're very excited about," Perkins smiles. "It's not something we've actually started to look at yet in terms of DriveClub, but we have got a dedicated team at Evolution who are actively looking into the technology. So the focus is getting the game out, adding things like weather, and we'll look into Morpheus at a later time."

It's interesting they're still keeping the Morpheus dream alive.

Abriael

Banned
Wait. Am I getting this wrong or... they measured the framerate from a compressed video of the conference?

Please tell me I'm wrong, or that there's a technical explanation for this that I'm not catching.

I'm confident driveclub will look amazing and that Evolution will deliver perfect framerate, I'm just not understanding how this is even relevant.

The thing that impresses me most about this (and KZ: SF) is the incredible draw distance, might be one of the best looking games.
I haven't really been following the game outside of its visuals, but if it plays more like an arcade racer than a sim, I'll be more then tempted to upgrade the PS+ edition for the full game just to admire the environments.

even pc games with 4xmsaa AND downsampling have aliasing so please. txaa is the closest you can get to aliasing free quality in motion