• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] New Scorpio Spec Leak: ESRAM Gone, GPU Features Revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
This plus the tight integration with onedrive etc that I use for my productivity is convenient. I would never recommend a windows phone to someone who asks me what they should buy, the app gap is just too big for a lot of users, but in my use case it's quite good.

Current biggest annoyance is that the keyboard swiping on messenger is wonky with and for some reason there's a pause whenever you activate/deactivate an alarm.

I migrated to iOS while continuing to use SkyDrive (OneDrive) as my file cloud. I use the office apps on iOS, and it's easy. This was my biggest fear too.

thurrot is pretty good at criticizing MS. In fact Brad Sams broke the Scorpio news and others followed. He is a member of the site.

Thurrot is okay, but I wouldn't take my "news" from people who are tight with platform stakeholders. Thurrot won't criticize Microsoft when necessaryas his whole career is based on his Microsoft connections who might get upset.

That's the problem with Microsoft insiders, they are all in the Microsoft bubble.

FyreWulff

MUAHAHAHA.

I developed for it.

I owned two, a 920 and a 830, both gifted to me by Microsoft at conferences, Build 2012 and Build 2013. It was a bad platform outdated by the competition, eternally playing catch-up, and lead by a team of people who switched their minds every six months.

After three years of forcing myself to like Windows Phone, I got an iPhone, and I have never been happier.

Games that supported dynamic resolutions will look better immediately or will be easier to patch. I am not sure if all games will receive a performance boost. Sony's API is closer to the metal than Microsoft's and it is possible that this could prevent Xbox One games from immediately taking advantage of the new compute power.

Yeah, Windows Phone had some nice ideas, but the constant overturn on it's direction made it an unstable target and the customers agreed. Microsoft's been doing a real good job with their Android releases afterwards, at least.

dLMN8R

thurrot is pretty good at criticizing MS. In fact Brad Sams broke the Scorpio news and others followed. He is a member of the site.

Thurrott is pretty good at whining about shit that doesn't affect anyone except for press people who have to cover Microsoft. He's become pretty insufferable on Windows Weekly lately.

Thurrott is pretty good at whining about shit that doesn't affect anyone except for press people who have to cover Microsoft. He's become pretty insufferable on Windows Weekly lately.
His new shtick of complaining about the way Xbox handles insider updates is so laughable

Agreed. I unsubscribed from his weekly newsletter and it was a major pain in the arse which is quite ironic as he's always banging on about the 'user experience'

It's probably best to not get hyped about anything anymore and just wait for MS to announce an event for Scorpio. Last week was the time for some real leaks to happen and they didn't. MS has got this stuff on lock down and maybe that's only good too. How many times did we knew almost everything beforehand of an E3 show? It's better to be surprised.

Head.spawn

Decent info from Windows Central. I just think people had their expectations a bit too high and apparently MS has shit under lock and key this time.

gamz

I migrated to iOS while continuing to use SkyDrive (OneDrive) as my file cloud. I use the office apps on iOS, and it's easy. This was my biggest fear too.

Thurrot is okay, but I wouldn't take my "news" from people who are tight with platform stakeholders. Thurrot won't criticize Microsoft when necessaryas his whole career is based on his Microsoft connections who might get upset.

That's the problem with Microsoft insiders, they are all in the Microsoft bubble.

So. Not. True. Thurrott is most critical.

Bobnob

So Jez waited a week for verification on none news that had already been verified and was already known by the public, is this correct?

iMax

Thurrott is tight with MS, and also not critical so far as that he wants Xbox to win, and sometimes complains when they aren't.

He's totally biased against Playstation and forms articles around how Xbox can beat Sony. For example: https://www.thurrott.com/xbox/xbox-one/67330/microsoft-can-fix-xbox-one-2016

Of course he's biased. Everyone is biased. And that article reads as what Microsoft needs to do to fix the Xbox One and he doesn't hold back with criticism. Where does he say anything about 'beating' Sony?

Ehker

Of course he's biased. Everyone is biased. And that article reads as what Microsoft needs to do to fix the Xbox One and he doesn't hold back with criticism. Where does he say anything about 'beating' Sony?

Um, it's an article about fixing Xbox having "been outsold by as much as 2-to-1 by the PlayStation 4". What do you think it means?

Read the first paragraph.

Outrun

And he said this :

7A3dlty.jpg

So, bigfuckingnothing.gif

Wow.

Jez Corden should not announce Information in order to create hype, and then act as if GAF fueled said hype...

Edit: Corrected my stupidity.

iMax

Um, it's an article about fixing Xbox having "been outsold by as much as 2-to-1 by the PlayStation 4". What do you think it means?

It's a criticism piece highlighting Xbox's mistakes with suggestions on what it needs to do to pull itself back up?

Ehker

It's a criticism piece highlighting Xbox's mistakes with suggestions on what it needs to do to pull itself back up?

Again, it directly refers to Sony. You asked me, "Where does he say anything about 'beating' Sony?" and it talks about being outsold 2-to-1 by Sony right in the first paragraph. Are you being serious?

Windows Phone is enjoyable, for me. I'm back on Android right now but I miss my Lumia 1520 (I still have it, but it was time to upgrade.)

Really hoping these surface phone rumors pan out and can pull me back in. I don't recommend WP to most people, but it's still my favorite OS overall. Just a shame that it took so long to get to Windows 10, where it really shines.

Xbox.

iMax

Again, it directly refers to Sony. You asked me, "Where does he say anything about 'beating' Sony?" and it talks about being outsold 2-to-1 by Sony right in the first paragraph. Are you being serious?

Not everyone is concerned with juvenile fanboyism and I'm sure he's smart enough to understand that organic competition within the market is a good thing, and that's all he wants for Xbox: for it to compete in the market better, reinforced with the sales statistics attributed from the outset.

If you're inferring his words as an attack of hostilities on Sony, that says a lot more about you than him, frankly.

MaulerX

Haters gonna hate but I love my 950 XL. Sure, it doesn't have as many apps as other platforms but it DOES do things others don't. I can connect my XB1 controller to it and play emulators on the big screen with it's USB-C port long before Switch even launched as well as other games and everything that goes along with Continuum.

But on topic glad to see 4K Bluray confirmed for Scorpio.

Ehker

Not everyone is concerned with juvenile fanboyism and I'm sure he's smart enough to understand that organic competition within the market is a good thing, and that's all he wants for Xbox: for it to compete in the market better, reinforced with the sales statistics attributed from the outset.

If you're inferring his words as an attack of hostilities on Sony, that says a lot more about you than him, frankly.

Are you kidding me? Again, you asked:
Where does he say anything about 'beating' Sony?

This article is him saying in regards to Sony they are being outsold 2-to-1 and how to "FIX" this. What does that mean besides beating Sony?

iMax

Are you kidding me? Again, you asked:

This article is him saying in regards to Sony they are being outsold 2-to-1 and how to "FIX" this. What does that mean besides beating Sony?

I've said all I can, so I'm going to leave it there.

Fixing Xbox ≠ Beating Sony.

Mercedes and BMW are both healthy brands and most people aren't concerned about one beating the other. This is no different. Stop trying to make wars out of everything.

Ehker

I've said all I can, so I'm going to leave it there.

Fixing Xbox ≠ Beating Sony.

Mercedes and BMW are both healthy brands and most people aren't concerned about one beating the other. Stop trying to make wars out of everything.

I'm done. Here is the first paragraph from the article. Decide for yourself if this is about beating Sony:
The Xbox One is a paradox of sorts. It has sold at a far faster clip than previous Xbox consoles, which should be celebrated. But it’s also been outsold by as much as 2-to-1 by the PlayStation 4. So “fixing” the Xbox One in 2016 is tricky: Microsoft will need to continue with what’s working while making the platform more appealing to a wider audience.

Jez, Daniel Rubino, and others from Windows Central are still in the honeymoon phase where they get utterly fascinated by any sort of leaks.

To them, it's like they don't even care about what the leaks are, or whether the leaks are actually providing any new information. They just feel special because someone is leaking stuff to them, so then they play up the leaks as much as possible in order to kind of brag about the fact that they (think they) have sources leaking to them.
I'm not sure if that's the case here as he was teasing about specific games being 4k (and ultra) on Scorpio.

Sounds like he either didn't get to confirm the info, or was intentionally vague to not bite him in the ass if turns out one of the games he heard is wrong.

Anyway that's a strange article that has no reason for the delay, save for 4k BD and HDMI 2.0a there was no data needed to confirm and that he could put as unconfirmed anyway.

I wasn't expecting much from it other than more details on stuff he has been teasing like some development details or some specific games being 4k native but that has none XD

So Jez waited a week for verification on none news that had already been verified and was already known by the public, is this correct?

Pretty much man.

He also for some reason tweeted things like "what about 4K/ultra" "BF1 @4K/60fps " when someone asked something about Scorpio. It clearly was all nonsense but I expected this guy to be more serious I guess. Ah well.

Problem is if they make a event before E3 and mostly about hardware no games, people will "get mad" and said it doesn't have games though, see 2013 event before E3.
Unless they have enough games for 2 events, otherwise i don't think they have to make a event before E3, because
1. Announce Scorpio's specs
2. Announce Scorpio's price and actual name
I highly doubt it will take more than 10 minutes.

Outrun

It'll be before E3. Their focus for E3 is games on Scorpio, they need to show what the Scorpio is before that.

I thought that Phil opened the door for a possible event pre-E3 last week on the ign podcast?

I dont think 90 minutes is enough to cover games plus hardware.

marciocdb

Banned
Problem is if they make a event before E3 and mostly about hardware no games, people will "get mad" and said it doesn't have games though, see 2013 event before E3.
Unless they have enough games for 2 events, otherwise i don't think they have to make a event before E3, because

Well, they could do the same thing Sony did with the Pro.... maybe with a little more excitement.... show the console, the specs, price and a few upcoming games and partnerships.... and that's it...

Outrun

I think that blowback was due to MS's initial reveal of the X1.

Phil could say clearly in the first minute of a presentation, that today is hardware and E3 will reveal games.

They then should show Forza 7, and a couple of patched games, while talking tech.

Madness

MS can't beat Sony.

All they can do is build the brand and expand slowly.

This generation is already won. The goal for MS is now to salvage the Xbox brand, and grow it beyond just what 360 was. Grow W10 and the store to compete with Steam, get more locales to offset complete loss of Japan and decline in Europe. Build up their own IP's but third party so important and what they've done with Ryse or Sunset Overdrive is not good and really shit the bed with Scalebound.

Scorpio is about fixing how weak the original Xbox One is. With Elite controller they saw there is a market for high end and more hardcore consoles or peripherals.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
The Windows Phone OS, as in, the OS itself. It's functionality, design and usability is still the best of the three in my opinion. The way it handles contacts is unparalleled. The look you can an create with the home screen is always gorgeous. It's a damn shame Kids Corner is gone. Silly move.

But the app situation was just terminal. The funny thing is, by the time I switched back to iOS, all the major apps I was using were on Windows Phone. But the issue is, even the apps it does have tend to be the worst version of each app. I think only the Twitter app was the best of the 3 main platforms. Every other app was an inferior version compared to the others.

I tried my best to stick with it, but just couldn't. Had a 920 and a 930. In between iPhone models.

I'd come right back again if a Surface Phone happens though.

Outrun

The Windows Phone OS, as in, the OS itself. It's functionality, design and usability is still the best of the three in my opinion. The way it handles contacts is unparalleled. The look you can an create with the home screen is always gorgeous. It's a damn shame Kids Corner is gone. Silly move.

But the app situation was just terminal. The funny thing is, by the time I switched back to iOS, all the major apps I was using were on Windows Phone. But the issue is, even the apps it does have tend to be the worst version of each app. I think only the Twitter app was the best of the 3 main platforms. Every other app was an inferior version compared to the others.

I tried my best to stick with it, but just couldn't. Had a 920 and a 930. In between iPhone models.

I tried win10 phone. Loved the integration, but lack of apps killed it for me.

Hawk269

After today, I think expectations will be in check until

A) MS announces a pre-E3 event

Or

B) E3

Well based on the interview with Phil it does sound like there will be a separate event and then more info at E3. I would assume the way they will do it is have a lot detail on the hardware and some games at the pre-event and then a lot more games and a Scorpio portion at E3.

Lady Gaia

Why is noone excited about WCG , that can be huge in graphic fedelity

Sadly, it seems like most of the discussion in these threads is limited to ammunition for a completely unnecessary war. Like HDR, Wide Color Gamut is indeed a big deal that will do more to make games stand out than the bump to 4K alone, at least with a compatible display.

I'm really looking forward to titles that take full advantage of the wider range of representable colors. I'm also hopeful that Microsoft's HDMI 2.0a implementation is flexible enough to adoption the variable frame rate aspects of the 2.1 specification since it doesn't require the extra bandwidth of the new physical transport.

Bought myself an iPhone, loved all the apps but I'm back on my 950. Just can't get over the start screen. Live tiles are just too damned good and most apps have a Mobile website equivalent. It's a compromise for sure but works for me. The camera quality on the 950 is also superb & with two babies, I need something that can take quick and decent photos.

Head.spawn

What info?

His article is based on things Phil already said last E3.

I just skimmed it but I thought it confirmed that games will downsample by default and older games with variable framerates will increase to their limit. Scaling resolution games taking advantage of extra resources. Then the bit about launching with SM6.... whatever the hell that is. HDMI type confirmed. Confirmed there will be a "sizeable amount" of native 4k games at launch.

It's not stuff that people couldn't have guessed on their own, but I assume he is confirming said information with a source of some sort. At the very least, I don't recall Phil or anyone else confirming these things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom