• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] New Scorpio Spec Leak: ESRAM Gone, GPU Features Revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrayToes

Pretty much what was to be expected. Anyone thinking it would be anything other than a more powerful PS4 Pro was kidding themselves. Only thing that will really get me to consider buying one would be if RDR2 is vastly superior on it.

LordOfChaos

MS has far more experienced engineers when it comes to emulation. Remember they emulated games running on a completely different architecture (PowerPC vs. x64).

Given the wizardary to get 360 games running on Xbox one, I don't think that's a major concern.
WiiU has a similar setup, as did the Gamecube , as did PS2, all of which are now able to be run on non native hardware.

I doubt the answer is anything related to emulation, but perhaps DX12 is still a higher level API than GNM on PS4, which is why one is very particular to hardware changes and the other is not.

Fezan

Hopefully you'll be able to run older games on this at higher resolutions without using a patch like xboxs. If that's the case this will be day one for me

KORNdoggy

As an option? Absolutely. Why wouldn't they support it?

if MS don't hit 4k native consistently it would be a bit of a joke given how they sold it at reveal and how they keep going on about it. i'd hope 6TF would at least allow it to achieve that.

Bsigg12

Hopefully you'll be able to run older games on this at higher resolutions without using a patch like xboxs. If that's the case this will be day one for me

If they somehow manage to do that without breaking games it would be really impressive.

Which if true would translate to 30fps again for most games and just a resolution bump like the PS4 Pro...

giphy.gif

Xbox One.5 and PS 4.5

That's what these machines have always been. Microsoft tried to spin it somewhat that their machine wasn't that.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
While the paper was dated from E3 2016, only seven months ago, it was not published to public... I guess only key MS partners could see it.

Now it leaked.

And there is some news over the E3 presentation inside it.
Eh, I don't see how this video confirms anything other than the few objective bullet points at the end of the video which aren't exactly provocative.

What is provocative is no Zen which they admit themselves is speculative conclusion jumping but people here are taking as confirmation.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Let's wait for some documents that were written more recently then right after the E3 announcement

DF
It is worth nothing that nothing is yet set in stone. I don't know if MS can pull a 8GB GDDR5 equivalent with the Zen CPU, but it would be pretty nice wouldn't it? ;)

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
People are disappointed, what? I thought this was what most guessed for its specs? This is still a huge jump from XO to Scorpio.

I think some care more about XBO vs PS4.

I dont see why some would be disappointed. Maybe some really did want this to be MS's next gen console to get a head start on their fav console leading the way for sales. Some may just want a lot more powerful XBO.

All I know is I'm not disappointed. I have an XBO S now, will get this as the funds allow.

Apathy

Pretty much what was to be expected. Anyone thinking it would be anything other than a more powerful PS4 Pro was kidding themselves. Only thing that will really get me to consider buying one would be if RDR2 is vastly superior on it.

Well all those people that thought it was a "game changer" "three gpu's and 5 cpu's" or "stephen hawkins in box form" it's just an eye opener.

The thing is now if/when sony starts pushing a new gen with a ps5 in what we expect in 2019/2020 is MS really going to keep pace or are people going to see their scorpio as old tech

vpance

So jaguar cores overclocked to the max.. Yay..
=(

So does this mean $400 at launch with at least a 1TB or higher for storage? I would say $350, but that does not come across as premium..

Still more expensive to manufacture than Pro any way you slice it, so it depends on MS desire for any profit margins.

It'll retail for at least $50 more than Pro is my guess.

if MS don't hit 4k native consistently it would be a bit of a joke given how they sold it at reveal and how they keep going on about it. i'd hope 6TF would at least allow it to achieve that.

They've said since day one that developers are free to use the hardware as they see fit.

wachie

ESRAM Gone? When was this first rumored to be in, in the first place?
No Zen? No mention of what is being used if there is indeed no Zen.

I call bullshit on this leak.

Papacheeks

Banned
This thing is dead on a arrival without compelling software by MS to show it off. There goes the dream of them treating it like a new gen and start fresh.

This will only hurt XBox even more. They should have just washed their hands of xbox one and started fresh and used Project scorpio as a new console with best looking version of both first party and third party.

This thing is dead.

ethomaz

Banned
Eh, I don't see how this video confirms anything other than the few objective bullet points at the end of the video which aren't exactly provocative.

What is provocative is no Zen which they admit themselves is speculative conclusion jumping but people here are taking as confirmation.
So you believe in the zen dream... that is fine ;)

usp84

I was hoping they would go for 60fps game but i suppose that would make their games not look that much better than PS4 Pro and possible not even 4k maybe?

Anyway still a long time before it comes

Fliesen

it'll have a few extra bells and whistles, but it won't be 'vastly', i suppose. Definitely not as huge of a difference to be purchasing an entirely new console in addition(?) to the PS4 pro.

belvedere

Junior Butler
The gap between PS4 pro and Scorpio is larger than the gap between Xbox one and Ps4

Not from the GPU perspective (30-33%). Nearly identical to the Xbone/PS4 gap. Maybe with Scorpio's extra RAM boost the gap is slightly wider, but nothing notable.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I'm not a tech guy, but is the general consensus that these specs aren't as strong as many expected?
Is the console market able to fulfill "our" expectation about graphics anymore?
It seems that almost any reveal as (more or less, of course) some degree of "disappointment".

I'll be honest,it's around what I was expecting,always thought it would be PsPro ish... Obviously abit more powerful but not by a big margin.

Tryxx

Yea this is just a leak nobody knows what is true besides MS. They have had enough bad press the Scorpio is gonna have to be a beast because that's what they claimed it would be. Could MS take another huge hit to its rep if this thing isn't way more powerful than the ps4pro?

Sounds like a hell of an upgrade.

Ive been more than happy with my Xbox one over the last 3 years.

I'll be upgrading to Scorpio this year, hoping for some nice upgrades to Gears 4 and Killer Instinct

I'm glad this is coming out and that DF's speculation will stop the craziness of "next-gen" and see that MS and Sony are doing the same thing but that MS will be marketing their console harder (imo). Been saying that since the announcement. Now the craziness can stop (hopefully). MS has been clear that it's an upgrade.
Nah, it's the start of generationless Xbox.
MS has far more experienced engineers when it comes to emulation. Remember they emulated games running on a completely different architecture (PowerPC vs. x64).
Is it experienced engineers or Sony just wanting to sell PS Now?

Why are people suddenly underwhelmed lol?

The paper basically tells you that they can run XB1 Forza 7 at native 4K using only 3.5X the performance increase. The Scorpio has ~4.5X the performance, meaning there will still be power left in the tank. That should give you a good idea of how powerful this console is. It's a very healthy upgrade.

And whatever CPU it has is meaningless as long as it gets the job done. It was never going to have a monster CPU as it doesn't need one for what it aims to achieve.

Always the hyperbole lol, one way or the other.

cebri.one

Zen was not going to happen due to excessive power consumption for a console. Zen 8 core should be at least 90/100W. 8 core Jaguar was around 30W by the time XBO launched.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom