• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Performance Analysis: Destiny on Xbox One

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-destiny-xbox-one-performance-analysis

So our first port of all is checking the resolution itself; a pixel-count during both campaign and Crucible modes showing Bungie's promise has been kept. The Xbox One now delivers the maximum 1920x1080 frame-buffer allowed by its front-end settings, with each pixel revealing its own matching stair-step on vertical and horizontal edges. It's the real deal.

But such a boost to pixel count can't come cheap. Microsoft's June SDK may have unlocked resources previously assigned to Kinect, but this marks a considerable upgrade. However, in terms of in-game assets, nothing appears to have been pared back for Destiny's campaign or straight multiplayer modes. A charge through the initial Steppes areas, for example, shows draw distances and pop-in are like-for-like between the retail and beta builds on Xbox One, and even PS4. Even on the distant cliffs, shadow maps, geometry and enemy placements remain as they were. Bump-mapped rock textures also go untouched, but as a result of the resolution boost, now appear more defined even from a long range.

Otherwise, Bungie's target 30fps is strictly adhered to, and with v-sync permanently engaged to boot. In fact, we only catch one hiccup to 28fps; a momentary blip while riding a Sparrow quickly across the wastelands. Based on its timing, this seems to have less to do with strains on the GPU, and is more about the engine's ability to stream the world, as made evident by the way it strikes at the same point as the beta release.

Overall, the Xbox One version runs identically to its already impressive beta build, albeit with an added full-screen distortion effect, refreshed HUD design, and a crisp 1080p viewing window. With no performance penalty or pared-back visual settings in sight, first impressions suggest a release that very closely matches its PlayStation 4 counterpart in terms of both looks and performance - a state of affairs we're looking to fully confirm in our upcoming Face-Off.

Send me to the moon if old.

Omni

So the resolution increase didn't come at any significant cutback?

Why weren't they able to get it before then?

iMax

Good job underutilizing the PS4, you mean?

i3pw2NnDdFArP.gif

ElTorro

What are your impressions of the PS4's AA? I only played the game for 15 minutes, but I did not have the impression that they improved it compared to the Beta. If they did, the improvement is only slight. AA is the only area where a missing improvement over the XBO version would be somewhat disappointing. Don't really care about the rest.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
It has already started, my friend.

Seriously though, why should Bungie be obliged to utilize everything the PS4 is capable of? I'm curious

Wanting their product to be the best it can be. Do you complain when higher quality settings are available in PC versions?

theWB27

This is so perfect.

Wanting their product to be the best it can be. Do you complain when higher quality settings are available in PC versions?

This thing was developed across 4 platforms. We knew what the PS4 would be doing. The X1 managed to reach those same heights. The FPS should be a bigger issue of under utilization...not the X1 meeting the PS4. Stop it.

herod

Isn't this an MMO? It's normally practice to leave plenty of headroom for larger player numbers and network is normally the bottleneck.

MilkyJoe

Good job underutilizing the PS4, you mean?

Oh stop moaning. You will have your exclusives, there's no need to whine like a child in every thread. Anyone would think the PS4 has a 780ti on board, the way some people go on.

Great news. The more parity (without compromising the PS4 version) the better.

what? how can ANYONE want this?

of the PS4 version is on par with the Xbox one, then it has been compromised.

Now it is official that bungie went for parity for destiny, so no real news here, also its cross gen so I guess its not that bad. But if I see this in next gen titles, I will be pissed.

What are your impressions of the PS4's AA? I only played the game for 15 minutes, but I did not have the impression that they improved it compared to the Beta. If they did, the improvement is only slight. AA is the only area where a missing improvement over the XBO version would be somewhat disappointing. Don't really care about the rest.

If the Destiny screenshots in the 'Console screenshots' thread are anything to go by, then the PS4 version looks like it has slightly better AA for retail than it did in the beta. At least to me, anyway.

bombshell

So the resolution increase didn't come at any significant cutback?

Why weren't they able to get it before then?

Digital Foundry has a strange tendency to test and conclude how good a game's framerate is by only testing in some of the early areas a game. They did this with Diablo 3: UEE and now again in this analysis.

It would be much better to test such a thing late in the game when a full fireteam is spamming abilities left and right. I'm not saying this will reveal bad performance on Xbone, but they already mentioned a dip to 28 fps in the first area of the game.

I hope they go further in depth in the full face-off.

panda-zebra

Banned
Pretty much my thoughts. If you have more capable hardware, why not utilize it? Resolution, anti-aliasing, textures, frame rate, draw distance, etc. Just give us something.

Or. Else.

I hope they go further in depth in the full face-off.

It does feel like that recently, can't help thinking they've gone to greater lengths historically to find the point where differences begin to show. Of course, CBA citing any right now, I'm off to endure this ridiculously gimped festering lump of parityware on my ps4 for the rest of the day, I promise I won't enjoy a single second of it just out of spite.

Honestly Destiny isn't exactly a graphical powerhouse but the art style is enjoyable enough for me. Parity doesn't bother me much in this case, just a company with probably way too many platforms to optimize in the first place honestly, and it was certainly always easier to shoot for the highest set of values that would run on both platforms.

PJV3

what? how can ANYONE want this?

of the PS4 version is on par with the Xbox one, then it has been compromised.

Now it is official that bungie went for parity for destiny, so no real news here.

Weren't MS working heavily with Bungie to get it up to speed, I don't think it's down to a lack of effort on the Playstation.

Since we know that the PS4 is considerably more powerful than the One, how can we be seeing multiplatform games at parity? Is it because this is not a next gen only game so the game is already held back technically by the necessity of the last gen versions?

Stillmatic

That's great news, not really surprised though. Outside of the art direction I don't think it stands out much visually. Maybe cross gen held this one back, or visuals just weren't a huge priority for them.

iMax

Since we know that the PS4 is considerably more powerful than the One, how can we be seeing multiplatform games at parity? Is it because this is not a next gen only game so the game is already held back technically by the necessity of the last gen versions?

I would imagine this.

ElTorro

It definitely shows that the game is a cross-gen game, most notably in the relatively small open areas and the relatively low poly count in some environments. Nevertheless, they could likely always use additional GPU time for better AA. Im interested to see if they really improved AA.

sobaka770

Banned
This game tech is not ground-breaking, after all it's a crossgen release. What makes Destiny look awesome is the art design. I wish more games were to pay attention to that.
KHEM! Crytek

Harmen

This means they underutilized the PS4 version, which is a shame.

But it is good that the One version runs and looks well. Some devs make a version for the strongest/most easy to program console and then release a crappy port at the other one (see early PS3 multiplats). I am glad that did not happen.

Weren't MS working heavily with Bungie to get it up to speed, I don't think it's down to a lack of effort on the Playstation.

there was an interview or an IGN article "not sure which" about destiny and how they where basically aiming for parity across the board.

oh well, its a cross gen game, but if this shit is going to be happening in next gen multiplatform games, then I will be pissed off and stop supporting those lazy ass devs that decide to aim for parity

Synth

Guys... it's a 360 game at heart. Are we going to start complaining when the next version of Tetris runs the same on both platforms?

Guymelef

Almost every multi platform game launch to the date are cross gen and we are seeing differences.

T.O.P

Banned
Why is it so hard for people to think that Bungie was set for a standard in graphical quality, they reached it first on Ps4 and they said, that's good, now let's get to work on the X1 to see if it can reach the same standard...

and it happened!

It's also hilarious to read that kind of stuff about a cross-gen title lol

Top Bottom