• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Performance Analysis: Destiny on Xbox One

ICPEE

This game is not a graphical showcase. The old gen and new gen versions are almost in the same ballbark visual wise.

Its clear the goal Bungie was going for. Acceptable looks and performance across all platforms, old and new.

This is the goal of the developer. Everyone and their dog knows the PS4 has more muscle but the devs chose for the game to look great regardless of what platform you play on.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
capping at 30 absolutely is for the best if the average framerate is going to be in the 45fps range...youre going to get all sorts of issues with it being out of sync with your TV...
I and many others much preferred playing KZ:SF and Infamous unlocked, which were at that range or slightly below. I didn't see any issues per se, and the games were more responsive and fluid at unlocked framerate. Yes, there's an uneven jitter, but 30FPS basically jitters more, it's just even. I guess developers of both games felt the benefit as well, as unlocked was the default.
In the end, some people won't agree, which is why it's nice to have the option, which by all accounts seems incredibly easy to include.

ICPEE

I and many others much preferred playing KZ:SF and Infamous unlocked, which were at that range or slightly below. I didn't see any issues per se, and the games were more responsive and fluid at unlocked framerate. Yes, there's an uneven jitter, but 30FPS basically jitters more, it's just even. I guess developers of both games felt the benefit as well, as unlocked was the default.
In the end, some people won't agree, which is why it's nice to have the option, which by all accounts seems incredibly easy to include.
Locked framerate is best. Nothing worse than having framerates all over the place while gaming. Its noticable too and it really detracts from the experience.

J

JoJo UK

Unconfirmed Member
Engine work and optimization should continue until and after release. It seems the PS4 version has not progressed past the alpha. This tells me Bungie had a very low bar and did not put any effort into the PS4 version. Its great that they put effort into the gimped XB1 and limped it over the finish line, but a little effort on the largest selling SKU with the most horse power would have been nice. Some better AA or unlocked refresh would have been nice. KZ was a launch game and it looks much better, its kind of embarrassing for Bungie.
Potential improvements were brought up again and again throughout the alpha and beta. Many people wanted a 60fps game or non FXAA. Anything. What it loos like is MS bullied Bungie into parity and Bungie left the PS4 version 'good nuff' for at least the last 6+ months. Squeaky wheel gets the oil.
never-go-full-retard_1271.gif

Mastperf

Locked framerate is best. Nothing worse than having framerates all over the place while gaming. Its noticable too and it really detracts from the experience.
The option to choose is the best. Lock it by default and give an option for those wanting it unlocked.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
As I said, I know some people will disagree, but it wouldn't surprise me if majority actually values responsiveness and increased fluidity more than even but slower framerate pacing. It's a practical gameplay update vs. visual preference. Even if I'm on the minority's side, my point is, it's so easy to add an option that makes everyone happy.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Having played the PS4 version for some hours yesterday, I'd now say that they have indeed improved the AA. There is still pixel crawling in cut scenes, but if my memory is not tricking me, the aliasing and shimmering on environment details like vegetation was more visible in the Beta.

tuna_love

Banned
Having played the PS4 version for some hours yesterday, I'd now say that they have indeed improved the AA. There is still pixel crawling in cut scenes, but if my memory is not tricking me, the aliasing and shimmering on environment details like vegetation was more visible in the Beta.
Ahh so ms bullied them into putting better aa on ps4

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
I don't believe the myth that the PS4 is 40%/50% more powerful than the XB1 - most devs say the PS4 has little or slightly more powerful hardware but in real terms they are close.

The reason the early titles were 1080p on PS4 and 720/900p on XB1 was down to the poor XB1 sdk that it launched with compared the PS4 sdk.

Don't believe the media hype and fanboy rubbish, do your research from the devs that code the games, this will give you a more accurate assessment of the two consoles.

I think the next AC and COD will be a good test

Ya no, COD is nothing ground breaking nor special, AC Unity I could see being the test whether the xbone can hack it, also I think a good test will be the new batman game as well.

Top Bottom