• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry Performance Analysis: Fallout 4

Malcolm9

There is nothing wrong with comparing the performances on each platform, but can we stop turning into a "let's shit on the consoles" thread.

When we see examples of other games running great with better visuals etc, it's more the fault of Bethesda that this game has its problems. It's pretty much a day one issue with most games these days, let's wait for the inevitable patches ie The Witcher 3.

We all know the consoles could have been more powerful, we get that, but it's pretty boring to regurgitate that in these types of threads.

Mahonay

Banned
Oh come on, more power? Isn't that what they got from ps3 to pa4. No amount of power stops their issues. Not even sure what your thinking

Can't wait for the pc issues to show up more
That's a pretty plain way to look at it but sure.

Also I already mentioned (in the post you just quoted) part of the problem lies with Bethesda and their use of this engine.

For the record I bought this on PS4 already and am excited to play this tomorrow.

Mahonay

Banned
You can only polish a turd so much. As long as Bethesda insists on using gamebryo every game they make will be a janky, buggy mess.
At the end of the day absolutely. I was disappointed at the initial reveal when it was obvious it was the same old engine.

Thankfully they still executed on a good game outside of performance/jank. Maybe all the talk of shortcomings this time will force their hand come next Elder Scrolls game. Then again...probably not.

Coroner

Banned
Oh man the hyperbole hits once again Fallout 4. I've played now the PS4 version for several hours and can confirm that the game runs very smooth for the most part. You have to seek for massive framedrops to even notice them (Indoor and Outdoor)
Clearly not everyone is having the same experience as you.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
You can see how it does in The Witcher 3 here:

https://youtu.be/gGf4SVWEw2g

So about on PS4 level unless you OC it. And does that rig (including everything you need when starting from scratch, excluding screen/TV) run you less than $350?

Including mobo, GPU, CPU, RAM, HDD, disc drive (ok, you can get away without that these days, but that would be a bit unfair), case, mouse + keyboard (and/or controller, but you can't really use a PC with only one of those)? Am I missing something? You can't just go "everyone already has most of those parts" (I personally don't, since my current PC is a laptop), the comparison has to be fair.

Aaaaand did you rip all those ROMs yourself? Or are you a filthy pirate? ;)

Why did you come to that conclusion?
BC on PC means you can still play games that are already in your steam library forever, no matter how many times you rebuilt your PC. Well, at least as long as valve is still on the business.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Am I right in saying most pc games don't come with rumble/vibration though? I'd really miss that and didn't buy a ps3 until Sony sorted out their bullshit.

Pretty sure they do, at least the ones that are also developed for console. 99% support 360 controllers out of the box, including rumble.

Why did you come to that conclusion?
BC on PC means you can still play games that are already in your steam library forever, no matter how many times you rebuilt your PC. Well, at least as long as valve is still on the business.

That was about the emulation part of the post I replied to.

Pretty sure they do, at least the ones that are also developed for console. 99% support 360 controllers out of the box, including rumble.

That was about the emulation part of the post I replied to.

Great. I'm almost there in building my first ever gaming pc. The footage of the i7 and 970 looked beautiful :)

There is nothing wrong with comparing the performances on each platform, but can we stop turning into a "let's shit on the consoles" thread.

When we see examples of other games running great with better visuals etc, it's more the fault of Bethesda that this game has its problems. It's pretty much a day one issue with most games these days, let's wait for the inevitable patches ie The Witcher 3.

We all know the consoles could have been more powerful, we get that, but it's pretty boring to regurgitate that in these types of threads.

I was playing heart of stone waiting for fallout 4 to unlock and its amaazing what CD Projekt did to optimise it better for PS4. It runs super smooth now.

bede-x

Heh, so you noticed that Richard re-published that article this past Sunday. I'm surprised more people didn't pick up on that hint. ;)

I actually remembered the original article and the re-published one was just the first that came up, when I searched for it :)

Really appreciate the work you guys put into these things and hope you do an updated budget build guide at some point.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Why is the GPU (750ti) still being discussed?

The i3 is the real difference maker in these scenarios, not the 750ti.
Yeah, I'm not sure why the performance advantage is being attributed to the 750ti. People have been repeating over and over again that it's the CPU.

If you factor in the online tax on consoles+Steam sales, it can easily be cheaper.

Literally every DF thread ends with a weird console vs cheap pc 'discussion'. Why and who cares?

PC gaming can be cheaper, just as console can easily be cheaper. There are so many variables, you can't really say anything useful about this subject.

Malcolm9

I was playing heart of stone waiting for fallout 4 to unlock and its amaazing what CD Projekt did to optimise it better for PS4. It runs super smooth now.

Exactly, it's a great experience on the PS4, especially after the patches.

It just seems like a good choice to wait rather than buying day one, most of the time the patches bring the game up to scratch.

I'd love to say it should be like that from day one, but developers don't like to delay a game instead preferring to patch it upon release. You could say we are all glorified beta testers in that respect, but more often than not I can still enjoy the game without being hung up on occasional FPS drops/glitches.

Skyrim PS3 is the only game I've had to stop playing due to how it ran later in the game, now that was a slide show and a half before they improved it.

Javin98

Banned
Heh, so you noticed that Richard re-published that article this past Sunday. I'm surprised more people didn't pick up on that hint. ;)
Wait, the hint? Is there more November released games than just Fallout 4 that the i3/750Ti combo outperforms the PS4 version? Call of Duty Black Ops 3? Or am I just assuming too much?

dark10x

Wait, the hint? Is there more November released games than just Fallout 4 that the i3/750Ti combo outperforms the PS4 version? Call of Duty Black Ops 3? Or am I just assuming too much?
Just Fallout 4 and Black Ops 3 (which, spoiler alert, runs like hot garbage). :(

Vanguard

Every now and again something will catch the corner of my eye that looks off, I knew it was something to do with how it handles culling but could never recreate it, until now!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VhH9diaZIA

Makes me wonder if this is what's causing certain locations to have really odd performance at certain camera angles, if the culling is this off.

hodgy100

Yeah a copy of Windows + decent keyboard/mouse or controller are always going to bump up the cost for a first time build. They gloss over this somewhat in that article. All I'll say is add an extra £200 to your budgets.

what?

you dont need an expensive kb&m a £15 set will do, a controller can be had for £20 and a copy of windows is about £70.

add £100
not £200 christ.

dark10x

But I don't see any other major gaming websites calling Bethesda on it, so as far as they're concerned it's all good... It'll still sell shitloads.
This...I do not get. The issues shouldn't be ignored or brushed off.

I've played about 5hrs so far, haven't gotten into major firefights or anything yet. It's really nice looking imho and the aa solution is working great. I haven't had any stuttering on PS4 yet but I do have a WD Black 7200rpm hd installed.

Hopefully the frame slowdowns during fire/smoke are just a bug fix, I can deal with the 28fps in a busy town hub zone, but scoping and stuff should stick to 30.

The disappointing thing is how these companies constantly ship things like this instead of working out the kinks, it's making release day buying brutal. Hell some games don't get fixed for months or ever. The winners are the people who buy things a year later tbh. I wish I had more restraint sometimes =(

Kezen

Banned
This...I do not get. The issues shouldn't be ignored or brushed off.

I agree, although it is fair to say that those issues will not be a concern for the vast majority of players. Your average gamer be it on PC or consoles does not seem to care about those things at all.

derExperte

what?

you dont need an expensive kb&m a £15 set will do, a controller can be had for £20 and a copy of windows is about £70.

add £100
not £200 christ.

You don't need a more expensive mechanical keyboard. But just like with an SSD the second you've used a good one you'll stop caring about its cost. Most likely it will also mean not buying another one for many years/PC builds. So I say add 200 and buy something that'll last.

Durante

Yeah, I'm not sure why the performance advantage is being attributed to the 750ti. People have been repeating over and over again that it's the CPU.
In most cases, probably. But the alpha blending drops on PS4 don't seem CPU limited. Which is curious.

what?

add £100
not £200 christ.
Windows is a lot cheaper than that.

Top Bottom