• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry PS4 Pro Launch Coverage Begins

N30RYU

3 hours from now.

Can we expect PS4 Vs PRO4K Vs PRO1080 comparatives??? I really need some PS4 Vs PRO1080 comparatives to make the jump... and if there are som PS4PSVR Vs PROPSVR comparatives would make it even easier to make the jump.

black070

My preorder is ready to dispatch.. just pull the damn trigger you bastards, I won't tell anyone..

I'd totally tell you guys.

I'm sorry, but that's complete nonsense.

You were on the money until the bolded part, and went off the tracks :)

The embargo is also for those who got a PS4 Pro for testing, and it allows for quality journalism instead of rushing out misinformation and half-formed impressions for quick clicks.

Do you sincerely think Sony has an embargo on impressions because of PS4 Slim? PS4 Pro has been in the news for the past week regardless of this particular embargo.

The embargo lifts the week of release after months of the PS4Pro being announced but only the Slim getting any real advertising, as well as Sony launching the PSVR which they need to make sure everyone knows they won't need to buy the Pro for it to work.

Plus, there's only a £50 difference in price between the 1tb Slim and Pro, despite the more powerful and complex innards of the upgraded model. The profit margins on the Slim have to be higher, and you'd be insane if you didn't think that would matter to a business.

Honestly, I'm a bit incredulous as to why you'd think Sony wouldn't be holding back selling a better product until the last minute unless it was to sell an inferior product they already have on the market.

Seriously, the idea a massive multinational company would be keeping all media quiet until this close to a products launch out of the goodness of its heart and respect for journalistic integrity is honestly laughably naive.

coastel

Can't wait to see all the comparisons got the day off work anyway. Hopefully there are loads of them up I want to know EVERYTHING.

Koobion

Did I just buy the SSD for my Pro before waiting for the DF testing on it? Yes. Was that a bad idea? Probably. Will I regret it? Probably not.

2 hours to go! lol

The embargo lifts the week of release after months of the PS4Pro being announced but only the Slim getting any real advertising, as well as Sony launching the PSVR which they need to make sure everyone knows they won't need to buy the Pro for it to work.

Plus, there's only a £50 difference in price between the 1tb Slim and Pro, despite the more powerful and complex innards of the upgraded model. The profit margins on the Slim have to be higher, and you'd be insane if you didn't think that would matter to a business.

Honestly, I'm a bit incredulous as to why you'd think Sony wouldn't be holding back selling a better product until the last minute unless it was to sell an inferior product they already have on the market.

Seriously, the idea a massive multinational company would be keeping all media quiet until this close to a products launch out of the goodness of its heart and respect for journalistic integrity is honestly laughably naive.
No, it's how things are and how things have been for decades. Embargoes are nothing new.

Sure, some embargoes have malicious intent or some other agenda. But don't forget, it's best for Sony if the media has proper time to test out and compare Pro's prowess. They don't want misinformation rushed out.

The lack of information/embargo up to this point has more to do with the timing of PSVR's release than it does with PS4 Slim. PS4 Pro's release and pricing in regards to PS4 Slim is not some closely-guarded industry secret, you know? Do you really think Sony is trying to keep Pro, their premium product, a secret because of the Slim?

The Slim is the cheaper product. For many people, that's all they need to know.

They just didn't want consumers to think you needed the one new product (PS4 Pro) to use the other new product (PSVR). Also, they had a lot riding on PSVR and too much attention on PS4 Pro would harm the attention PSVR was getting. You just made a similar point yourself.

Also, ease up on the 'you'd be insane if/you're naive if' type remarks. You can make a point without being disrespectful.

Koobion

Lol, I got an 850 Evo for it last week. I'll only regret it if the SSD somehow dies.

Good thing they have 10 year warranties on those I believe. Edit: Looks like the 850 Pro has a 10 year one.

8AM EST as it seems.

Did you buy and grab it or just pre-order? EDIT: Sorry misread. I thought you meant you bought the Pro itself. Forget what I wrote, seems excitement took over...

Excitement is taking me over as well haha.

.....the most likely reason they haven't really promoted it yet is due to the release of Titanfall 2, COD: IW/MWR and Battlefield 1. It would be stupid of them to clash with the marketing with these games.

Koobion

Oh, yeah. I just meant even if SSDs give comparatively marginal gains...since I started using SSDs on my PC I love them so even if it "is" wasted money...it won't be in my eyes? If that makes sense >_>

The way I see it is if I'm going to bother getting a Pro, I might as well not hamper it with a mechanical drive, haha :)

jobrro

All the SSD talk has me wanting one, but don't really want lower than the 2TB I am already used to. If Sony allowed external drives and a management system like the XBONE I would probably just stick a 480gb internally for games I'm currently playing and have the rest on an external.

Excited for all the DF coverage. Hopefully THE SATA port isn't bottlenecked like the OG PS4, which would might help even on my current drive.

78 minutes to go!

Chris_C

Called around a few stores in the Philippines (even the official Sony store). No one seems to know when they'll be getting Pro's! Somewhat disheartening, but it looks like I might have to wait till Dec.

Chris_C

Were all pre-orders sold out?

No one's even taking preorders. Some stores are letting you leave a phone number and they'll send you a text message when preorders become available.

Sony Philippines says they haven't received any sort of advisory from headquarters regarding the Pro at all.

Ozorov

No one's even taking preorders. Some stores are letting you leave a phone number and they'll send you a text message when preorders become available.

Sony Philippines says they haven't received any sort of advisory from headquarters regarding the Pro at all.
Lol, I read philippines as Philadelphia haha

ron_bato

Called around a few stores in the Philippines (even the official Sony store). No one seems to know when they'll be getting Pro's! Somewhat disheartening, but it looks like I might have to wait till Dec.

I have been doing the same thing. But i think theyre being told to keep mum.

One store already said they dont know the exact date, but it will be november. Another large chain said they dont know. Then two other store said the 10th is the tentative date, while another said the 11th.

I dont know why theyre keeping mum. It sucks. Out of all asian regions, only japan, singapore, and hk have confirmed dates.i guess ill just hope that its the 10th, and ill be ready to pop by a store to buy because stocks will be limited.

Chris_C

I have been doing the same thing. But i think theyre being told to keep mum.

One store already said they dont know the exact date, but it will be november. Another large chain said they dont know. Then two other store said the 10th is the tentative date, while another said the 11th.

I dont know why theyre keeping mum. It sucks. Out of all asian regions, only japan, singapore, and hk have confirmed dates.i guess ill just hope that its the 10th, and ill be ready to pop by a store to buy because stocks will be limited.

Really weird. I ended up spending most of the money I was saving for a Pro on a Vita, but I can still just about scrape enough together for the Pro.

ron_bato

Really weird. I ended up spending most of the money I was saving for a Pro on a Vita, but I can still just about scrape enough together for the Pro.

I think its because they just launched the ps4 slim cod bundle and they dont want to steal any thunder from that. Its the only explanation i got. They aint telling us shit.

For what its worth play asia has the launch date on the 10th but we will just have to see if thats the same for all of asia and not just select countries.

d9b

Banned
Pro pre-ordered. Just waiting for Digital Foundry to unleash their verdict in 40min.

Bring on Thursday!

Macnair

It's worst here in Malaysia. All the shops are taking preorders and they even had a flashsale recently. I already paid in full and not knowing when I'll get it is anger inducing. Just give us a release date already Sony MY!

ron_bato

It's worst here in Malaysia. All the shops are taking preorders and they even had a flashsale recently. I already paid in full and not knowing when I'll get it is anger inducing. Just give us a release date already Sony MY!

The thirst is real is Southeast Asia lol

Chris_C

I think its because they just launched the ps4 slim cod bundle and they dont want to steal any thunder from that. Its the only explanation i got. They aint telling us shit.

Ah, decent enough guess.

Yikes! They asked me to put down a ~$50 deposit when I preordered my PS VR and I thought that was bad!

Top Bottom