• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Rise of the Tomb Raider PS4/Pro Patch 1.06

BillyJack

Banned
So what are we missing then? What do you want tested?

I would appreciate a broad look at the technical prowess of some of the Tiger Electronic games especially the Castlevania series. I feel like you guys have been really lacking in that regard.

III-V

DF is getting to be really annoying. Personally their shit about resolution and frame rate testing is ruining gaming for me. It's like we can't just enjoy a game without worry about what framedrops happen where or what dynamic resolution a game is using.

And people are into it so much to dick wave which version of a game is better. It's getting old.

DF retro is the only thing they have that interests me anymore.

Dick waving? Are you serious? The DF analysis is objective and honest. Where is the problem, I couldn't be happier with their product.

a new atari archive is out on ps4 please test the version of centipede provided against all other versions of centipede even the 3d one on ps1 and provide UNBIASED comparisons

i will know it is biased if it does not agree with my platform preference so get it right

Does performance tank in Geothermal Valley like it does on PC? What a fucking disaster that area is. It's not even that impressive. One of the least impressive looking parts of the game.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
DF is getting to be really annoying. Personally their shit about resolution and frame rate testing is ruining gaming for me. It's like we can't just enjoy a game without worry about what framedrops happen where or what dynamic resolution a game is using.

And people are into it so much to dick wave which version of a game is better. It's getting old.

DF retro is the only thing they have that interests me anymore.
DF allow consumers to make more informed decisions on their purchases, which is great. They're doing a service for gamers. If you don't like the buzz around the articles then just tune out the comments and the threads and focus on the articles.

DF's articles have directly lead to significant fixes and improvements that everyone benefits from. There's no way you can construe that to be a bad thing.

DF allow consumers to make more informed decisions on their purchases, which is great. They're doing a service for gamers. If you don't like the buzz around the articles then just tune out the comments and the threads and focus on the articles.

DF's articles have directly lead to significant fixes and improvements that everyone benefits from. There's no way you can construe that to be a bad thing.

I do agree a bit with him. Directly or indirectly, they help fuel fake console wars. I agree with you too, though. Their efforts do help consumers make better purchase decisions.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Does performance tank in Geothermal Valley like it does on PC? What a fucking disaster that area is. It's not even that impressive. One of the least impressive looking parts of the game.

On 1.05 or before on 4K it used to go down to 27~ but based on this new video, it's been ironed out to a solid 30 there too. Unlocked is up and down a lot though, not anywhere locked 60.

btrboyev

I'll give you credit where it's due as you make a good point. However, I think most gamers have made up their mind long prior to DF videos and it then your point only really applies to those who own both consoles.

I still stand by my statement that it directly ignites a lot of fanyboyism and I'm sort of sick of hearing about technically shortcomings of consoles. We know they will always have them compared to PC. All it leads to is arguing and complaining that developers are inept at doing their jobs which is hyperbole to the extreme.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
it's really a shame. the Xbox One version is the most neglected of the bunch. even the 360 version is objectively superior

Nixxes did the 360 version as well.

Yep, funny enough the 360 verison had a day 1 patch which actually improved the quality of the visuals, added more foliage, better lighting effects and water effects (eg Lara's clothing getting wet upto just her waist if she's in just waist high water) at absolutely no cost to performance. This is an older post which highlights some differences, I'm not sure whether the pics still load (I'm at work and most pictures don't work for me anyway, so copying here just in case anyone's interested).

Nixxes is amazing. There is also a 300mb day one patch (according to a player on TR forums) that improves the visuals even further compared to the leaked videos. Sorry about the black crush in the screens but these give an idea.

HwJRnUW.jpg
(missing sun effect)
swoVmNs.jpg

BvqZWpj.jpg
(missing plants)
h2X9TYX.jpg

JBhQ0eh.jpg
(missing plant shadows)
vK4c29n.jpg

OlLfsac.jpg
(missing wet efect and shadows)
Gj9bpNk.jpg

Nixxess are absolute masters of taking code from Crystal Dynamics, Eidos etc and refining the shit out of it.

The game is back to its best? No, it's not.

Framepacing is fixed, but the input lag has returned for the camera and aiming - it's not as bad as it originally was, but it's still enough to make the game feel quite a lot worse than it was with the previous patch. So damn annoying!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I'll give you credit where it's due as you make a good point. However, I think most gamers have made up their mind long prior to DF videos and it then your point only really applies to those who own both consoles.

I still stand by my statement that it directly ignites a lot of fanyboyism and I'm sort of sick of hearing about technically shortcomings of consoles. We know they will always have them compared to PC. All it leads to is arguing and complaining that developers are inept at doing their jobs which is hyperbole to the extreme.
The thing is, top developers work around and overcome those limitations. You can see this with the sheer number of nice looking, 60fps titles on Wii U or games like DOOM. Those are crafted experiences that take great advantage of consoles and PC alike to deliver great experiences. When a console game releases with serious issues it's not the console that should take the brunt of the criticism - it's the development efforts themselves.

So it's official the pro is able to do miracles when devs
know how to use it?

pro- has been out for less than a month,
I'm expecting good things to come :)

jelly

Yep, funny enough the 360 verison had a day 1 patch which actually improved the quality of the visuals, added more foliage, better lighting effects and water effects (eg Lara's clothing getting wet upto just her waist if she's in just waist high water) at absolutely no cost to performance. This is an older post which highlights some differences, I'm not sure whether the pics still load (I'm at work and most pictures don't work for me anyway, so copying here just in case anyone's interested).

Nixxess are absolute masters of taking code from Crystal Dynamics, Eidos etc and refining the shit out of it.

Amazing, didn't know it. Nice one Nixxes.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
dark10x said:
Would be interesting to see more VR coverage(including head to heads with all the cross porting/multiple configurations), although I guess everything from capturing that isn't based on social-screens(those aren't representative on any hardware), to framerate measurements to pixel-counting doesn't work with existing methods on VR.

Kareha

I hope you realize that's because it's a new console .. expect the exact same when Switch comes out or later still when Scorpio comes out. This is even more unique than Switch because aside from just 'new hardware new games' here we're seeing older games being revamped to match the new hardware which warrants a look.

Let's see if you still have the same reservations next year.

Well I was planning on getting Scorpio but ever since MS turned around and said they will be releasing games on Xbox and Windows 10 I was just going to buy a new GPU to replace my 980 Ti.

So boring though.

Shadowfall was just a rushed tech demo showcase forthe PS4's launch the game is bad.
But yeah for a day 1 PS4 launch title it's impressive

Oh sure guys, I did play the game. Doesn't change my thoughts about the visuals though, it was a great step forward and a pro patch would be cool. Best not to think too long about Shadow Fall anyway, reminds you that Horizon is no way a sure thing hah.

Well I was planning on getting Scorpio but ever since MS turned around and said they will be releasing games on Xbox and Windows 10 I was just going to buy a new GPU to replace my 980 Ti.

Didn't play anywhere and Scorpio happen on the same show, with Scorpio afterwards? That was a quick change in decision XD

Cleve

So which mode is best on a 1080p display? Super sampled 4K or High Details?

Choose for yourself. It's super easy to swap modes in this game. Really something other developers should take to heart.

I want to have a shout out to Nixxes for really caring about the quality of this port, particularly in an age of ports and updates that seem to be shit out without testing, they've gone above and beyond to make sure they did a great job.

I wouldn't call fixing framepacing a miracle.

It would be if From Software could figure out how to do it.

black070

RG0BS1U.gif

No more frame pacing and acceptable lag, at least much better than XB1. And to think we had people in the original patch topic claiming how it was so much worse than ever now ...

The GAF hyperbole machine never ceases to amaze.

Pretty much this.

SURGEdude

I just find it weird that you blame DF because people use the facts that they bring to the table to be assholes.

And as enthusiasts many of us do own multiple consoles/PCs. Knowing the differences in versions allows a person like myself to weigh the titles that might be on sale on one platform but not on the other. In some cases I've bought games during Xbox sales because I knew the compromises on that platform were small enough to make the money saved worth it.

Another thing to remember is that sometimes there are outliers such as the handful of games that have had bad AA solutions on one console or the other for seemingly no reason.

FWIW patches that don't add new assets don't usually add to the file size of a game, they replace existing data

For sure that's the way it's supposed to be with these simple delta patches. But at least on Xbox it's not uncommon for them to throw assets into what should be otherwise small patches. Halo 5 seems to be especially guilty.

Something interesting I notied on the 4k-mode:
Some animations, like a few weather effect or animals in the distance are running at half-framerate. Could be weird ghosting effect, but I guess it's the first. I switched to other modes aswell and they are fine there (same framerate as the game), so I guess it's a little cutback for saving some performance costs.

Top Bottom