• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Rise of the Tomb Raider PS4 Pro vs PC 4K

nah man it's the PC dudes who are the villains for pointing out that shit's missing from the screenshots

Theres pointing out the differences and then theres shitposting. Guess which comments some people have an issue with.

But its cool. Lets compare it to higher priced machines and not a $400 PC because that would be absurd.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
So far the assumption is that pro games will still be targeting 30FPS for games played at 1080p.

It really depends on what was bottlenecking them on the standard version or what they target for in the pro version really. No guarantee of anything
Just an assumption. The reality is actually dev dependent, has been dev dependent, and will ALWAYS be dev dependent till eternity.
Pro will not be targeting any fps. Will Sony mandate bare minimums like 1080P and possibly 30fps? Yes. Will 60fps ever be targeted HW-wise or mandated? Never.

What would be nice is a philosophical shift in how we develop games in general and resource priorities.

MUnited83

For you.
No you can have preordred it and be totally fine with the 470 level of performance it will bring to console exclusive over the oldest version and not trying to make it more than that.

I'm not talking about those people though, I'm talking about the people that constantly pop saying that "the differences are insignificant, tiny, etc" and that "you need a 1500$ PC to match PRO performance". That's the ones that are trying really hard to justify their preorder.

nOoblet16

It would depend on the graphical advantages. You got 2.5 times more gpu raw power along with a bump in bandwidth and cpu. My guess is msaa 2-4x/fxaa combo to really clean up the visuals along with what for honor is doing for 1080p mode : higher res textures, better ssr, increased ground density with more grass, better motion blur. That is a bigger difference imo than 4k upres which you can tell from a mile away is not native and default ps4 graphical effects.
Better SSR, motion blur and grass? Sure.

But you can't really get better textures on PS Pro, the RAM quantity is the same.
If anything doing MSAA will increase the framebuffer size hence leading to lesser available availability even at 1080P...and obviously even more so in 4K mode.

NXGamer

But you can't really get better textures on PS Pro, the RAM quantity is the same.
If anything doing MSAA will increase the framebuffer size hence leading to lesser available availability even at 1080P...and obviously even more so in 4K mode.
It's not the same, Pro has 512MiB greater allocation over base and greater bandwidth. Also game will (most likely) not be using MSAA.

Siphorus

Yea that was one thing I didn't like about the PS4 Pro, it's still 8gb with a resolution bump. That will probably be the limiting factor for it.

Vipu

Banned
But the PS4's GPU didn't cost anywhere near 400 when the console came out, why would you essentially dismiss the entire rest of the unit including the RAM, and CPU? That makes no sense. Why expect an entire console to eat the cost of a single GPU that probably takes in as much heat and electrical power alone as the console itself?

Wait what?...

A complete system (CPU, GPU, Mobo, RAM, HDD, case, input device) that costs $400..you think it should pump out graphics on par with a GPU that costs $400 by itself? Are you kidding?

Why? You're literally asking to have a CPU, hard drive, case, networking hardware, power supply, and operating system thrown in for free for what reason, exactly? Actually watching the video makes for a pretty favorable impression considering the price of the system as a whole. Much more so than one screen grab of a comparison done from video captured by someone else used out of context would suggest.

Ok but most of these ps4pro buyers have already ps4 right?
Why cant pc people have pc too?
This is just doing same kind of comparison in long run, not at the very start when you find out about gaming.

So yes pc cost a bit more at start but after that start pc is gonna be always ahead of consoles in price & power.

Jamex RZ

Banned
Not a lot of 1080p screens have HDR right now. (read, none)

How the PS4 Pro looks on a 1080p screen is still up in the air.

There is none, and won't be probably, only 4k TV's. Still, doesnt cancel the fact that the game and ps4 could still output in 1080pp maxed out with HDR. If you have a 4k tv you're golden.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
It's not going to be 60fps at 1080p.
This is also a bit silly to say as all of this is dev dependent. If a dev wants to make a 1080p 60fps game on OG or Pro, they can. There is literally nothing stopping them as before.
However, no console HW will automatically turn games from 30fps to 60fps. If people thought the Pro & Scorpio will magically give them that 60fps, they're in for one hell of a reality check. It is time for most to accept this and face reality.

marrec

Banned
There is none, and won't be probably, only 4k TV's. Still, doesnt cancel the fact that the game and ps4 could still output in 1080pp maxed out with HDR. If you have a 4k tv you're golden.

I'd love a PS4 Pro that concentrated on 1080p 60fps with HDR for my 4K TV. It upscales quite nicely, I don't need hamstrung 1440p 30fps checkboarded to a zombie like 4k state.

Unfortunately that's not what Sony wanted to do. :(

Tecnniqe

Banned
So what do you call this? Subnative 4K?

It's not awful but the image seems very blurred compared to the more crisp PC.
Especially in moving scenes.

Also the background stuff missing changes the scene feeling quite a bit on the dramatic end of the scale.
aecOm1y.jpg

Wonder if this changes.

This is also a bit silly to say as all of this is dev dependent. If a dev wants to make a 1080p 60fps game on OG or Pro, they can. There is literally nothing stopping them as before.
However, no console HW will automatically turn games from 30fps to 60fps. If people thought the Pro & Scorpio will magically give them that 60fps, they're in for one hell of a reality check. It is time for most to accept this and face reality.

I'm saying if OG PS4 game runs at 30fps, the Pro won't have the CPU grunt to get that up to 60, even at the same res.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'd love a PS4 Pro that concentrated on 1080p 60fps with HDR for my 4K TV. It upscales quite nicely, I don't need hamstrung 1440p 30fps checkboarded to a zombie like 4k state.

People who have seen it in person have been very pleased with the IQ

I'm very impressed with how Days Gone's IQ looks in the 4K mode and that was only handled by one person. Hopefully devs are communicating on how best to proceed.

Gurish

lol if there was something to kill the hype of the Pro... such a turn off, I don't think I'm gonna bother with this system, I'll wait for proper next gen hardware.

icespide

Banned
I think the power of the PS4 Pro is stopping most devs from doing this.

We'll see.

my underlying point is that games will be 60fps if developers feel 60fps is important for their gameplay, not because the hardware is powerful.

the main reason stopping developers from going 1080p 60fps is the fact eye candy sells games more than framerate

Jamex RZ

Banned
that has nothing to do with the direction Sony took the hardware. there is literally nothing stopping devs from doing this if they want

Indeed. Hopefully all devs will follow nixxes and add the option to play their games on either 1080p maxed out or 4k checkerboard or not with some compromises. Give us the options.

marrec

Banned
People who have seen it in person have been very pleased with the IQ

I'm very impressed with how Days Gone's IQ looks in the 4K mode and that was only handled by one person. Hopefully devs are communicating on how best to proceed.

Best I can do is DL the videos to my TV, and it does look very nice.

Specifically with Rise, I can compare the video to my PC output at 1440p and (duh) my PC looks better. But the videos look good for what the PS4 Pro costs.

ktroopa

Call what you like it aint ever gona be 4K for the real world. If i buy a ferari i would want to know its a real ferari, not some fake one that looks like a sexed up ferari. No dice.

Kaako

Felium Defensor

We'll see.
I'll let you in on a little secret marrec. IF you gave the same 30fps devs a system with unlimited CPU/GPU power, you'll still get 30fps games instead of 60. Why do you think that is?

marrec

Banned
I'll let you in on a little secret marrec. IF you gave the same 30fps devs a system with unlimited CPU/GPU power, you'll still get 30fps games instead of 60. Why do you think that is?

Because the fairies of 60fps haven't blessed those devs with the magical fairy dust needed to add more frames.

Sad, I know.

bonej

Digitalfoundry needs to make their vids available via download with much less compression. yt 4k is pointless

Metfanant

Ok but most of these ps4pro buyers have already ps4 right?
Why cant pc people have pc too?
This is just doing same kind of comparison in long run, not at the very start when you find out about gaming.

So yes pc cost a bit more at start but after that start pc is gonna be always ahead of consoles in price & power.

Yeah, but you still can't just throw out the coat of the rest of the components...it's not a matter of having existing PC parts...this is part of the reason the comparisons between PCs and consoles font work...you can't expect a $400 console to have graphics equal to a PC with a $400 video card...it just doesn't work that way

Has nithing to do with what Sony wants...and everything to do with what the developers want...

We'll see.
The power of the Pro isnt stopping them...the power of the PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, or any other console isn't stopping them...

Developers are stopping themselves...period

Just an assumption. The reality is actually dev dependent, has been dev dependent, and will ALWAYS be dev dependent till eternity.
Pro will not be targeting any fps. Will Sony mandate bare minimums like 1080P and possibly 30fps? Yes. Will 60fps ever be targeted HW-wise or mandated? Never.

What would be nice is a philosophical shift in how we develop games in general and resource priorities.

Definitely, I agree, I probably should have said 30FPS on PS4 will more often than not end up with 30FPS on pro, depending on what was causing the 30FPS in the first place.

Shifty1897

I feel like the PS4 Pro shouldn't exist, they should've just released a backwards compatible PS5 in November 2018 at $400 with a more modern CPU and GPU. I would've bought that.

Please don't hate me for saying that.

marrec

Banned
Has nithing to do with what Sony wants...and everything to do with what the developers want...

The power of the Pro isnt stopping them...the power of the PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, or any other console isn't stopping them...

Developers are stopping themselves...period

I get it, I do. My point is that if Sony weren't up there pushing 4k this and 4k that then it would leave some breathing room for devs to take advantage of the remaining headroom at 1080p.

It sounds like some games are going to come with a "1080p" mode that will include improved textures and overall better performance, but we don't know what that will actually mean since none of the hardware or games are actually out. If Sony had decided that the "Pro" was going to be a 1080p 60fps machine, then devs would have been able to target and possibly even deliver on that because these games aren't so different internally from their PC counterparts these days.

Rise runs at 1080p 60fps on extremely modest PC hardware.

Instead we have weird 4k compromises and promised "1080p" modes. It's all very cludgy and unappealing.

MaulerX

It's actually super cool that the OG PS4s get HRD output capability as well.

No doubt but how many people will buy a 4K TV just to get HDR out of their OG PS4's? They still haven't fully explained how that'll work or what games will support it that I'm aware of.

matmanx1

Did I watch a different video from everyone else? He said right in the video that the game looked far better on PS Pro than it did on the normal PS4 at 1080P. For what is being shown, I think it's a nice upgrade. Is it worth the $400 asking price for such an improvement? I really don't know. You will have to answer that question yourself.

Top Bottom