• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Rise of the Tomb Raider PS4 Pro vs PC 4K

choofed.gif

"brute force" always amuses me. What do you mean when you say that? Specifically.

Why does it amuse you? The PC gaming market provides a great selection of components strong enough to play games with higher resolution and framerates in comparison to consoles.

This is probably what I'll be doing on the Pro most of the time anyway. I'd rather have 1080p with higher settings.

-edit-
Also, one of the first things said is that he thinks it looks pretty good on the Pro but I guess people here are either willfully ignoring that because of a pre-determined opinion or they didn't actually watch the video (which is probably about as bad).

Same. I rather have 1080p and 30fps/60fps with all the bells and whistles.

Just don't pay any attention to the YouTube comments section. They're awful with so much negativity and misinformation about console gaming and capabilities.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
And wasn't RL emphatic about how great it looks in motion? Especially at the conference?

Yeah

If you listen to all of the DF coverage, especially in relation to this game, they're very impressed with it (aside from Deus Ex which seems to be in poor shape).

Maybe it runs at a lower resolution in cutscenes like the x1 version?
Would make sense

Could also just be some current weirdness in how they handle the reconstruction.

ktroopa

There is too much 4K ambiguity flying aaround atm, and i dont accept that pspro will deliver a true native 4K experience like we would all really love/hope to see.it can and will deliver a 4k 'experience' that we can enjoy but you will always look for more. I.e. 60fps which i seriously doubt we will see. So upscaled or checkboarded or whatever the technique they use, i will consider it just that, a 4k experience. Native 4k not gona happen on this refresh hardware. Just accept it. Trouble is at 1080p i knew my tv was doing 1080p. 1080p meant 1080p. The discussion on 4k is not as clear. I think we are being lead somewhat, as we all want the next leap visually now, but its too soon maybe. I consider 4k native to be 4k content i want to see in HDR. None of this fake 4k crap.for the record i am getting the pspro so not hating on that, just levelling what i expect to see.

LostDonkey

Ouch that looks rough in comparison.

Suppose in isolation though it would be an improvement over the standard box and that's all you can ask for really.

insonator

Banned
So we're comparing shots from a full $399 machine, to a PC with a video card costing $700 by itself ?

Color me surprised the PC version looks better

ViolentP

I don't think threads like these should act to dissuade consumers from picking up a Pro, but to serve as an accurate source of what the product is actually offering. Seeing as Sony certainly isn't providing that service.

RibMan

The PS4 Pro version looks like it has a layer of vaseline applied to it. Strange. Is this a case of the hardware not being able to achieve better IQ or is this a case of the devs prioritizing performance over IQ?

you never said it didn't

o_O

someone said twice the price, you said twice as powerful.....but twice the price of a whole system. You're talking just a card alone. Huge difference in value

The original comment I responded to was laughing at the fact that the PS4 pro is £200 cheaper than a 1080 GPU, implying that they are comparable.
I simply pointed out that they aren't, a RX 480 would be a better comparison if you wanna compare value.

martino

the stagering difference everybody can notice come from texture
this tells me scorpio must be 12gb...it not, it will be a huge mistake (but who know after xbone one announcement fiasco)

Next question is what does it take to play the game on high settings at 1440-1620p and how does it compare image quality wise. It might only take a $200 380x or GTX 1060, before people starting busting a gut over GTX 1080s.

belvedere

Junior Butler
So we're comparing shots from a full $399 machine, to a PC with a video card costing $700 by itself ?

Color me surprised the PC version looks better

Don't let it bother you, the founder of DF said the Pro exceeded his expectations after hands on time with it, and that ROTR looked stunning in motion.

You won't find any threads discussing these things, however.

marrec

Banned
Next question is what does it take to play the game on high settings at 1440-1620p and how does it compare image quality wise. It might only take a $200 380x or GTX 1060, before people starting busting a gut over GTX 1080s.
The 1060 can comfortably play Rise at medium to high settings and ~60fps

Edit: At 1440p, I should say.

martino

Don't let it bother you, the founder of DF said the Pro exceeded his expectations after hands on time with it, and that ROTR looked stunning in motion.

with a 4K hdr tv (that's part of the quation)

No matter how unoptimized or bad coded the game is... you can always buy a stronger hardware to play it at highest IQ without need compromises.

By that definition, wouldn't the pro be under the category of brute forcing it's (moderately) improved visuals?

I feel like they can get closer to PC 4K by improving the texture quality.

I'm slightly confused. How would that help improve performance?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The original comment I responded to was laughing at the fact that the PS4 pro is £200 cheaper than a 1080 GPU, implying that they are comparable.
I simply pointed out that they aren't, a RX 480 would be a better comparison if you wanna compare value.

Apart from the fact that one's a component and the other's a complete system! Which lets be honest massively inflates the cost as if the "uncompromising" approach doesn't apply to every other part of the PC, you aren't going to reap the full benefit of your top-of-the-line GPU.

People really need to get to grips with the $399 rrp being *THE* key aspect of the Pro as an offering.

Lister

Banned

Because taking someone's opinion over actual data is always the rational thing to do...

PC will always brute force better graphics but look how close this comparison is:

75w6me.png

LxsXSh.png

PS4 Pro is a £350 console. You're not going to get anything close to that in the PC space for even £450.

I can't keep up with these narratives anymore. In one thread you have "PS4 has the best looking exclusives even PC can't match". In another thread you have "PC brute forces everything and PS4 is cheap so cut it some slack".

Also, check out the screenshots after your post. The different is huge.

jett

D-Member
Key words: "for what it's trying to do"

lol obviously it looks like a mess but as the first attempt I have seen to get something running at decent fps at "4K" with not everything on lower than lowest on a console it's a solid effort.

This video is rather more an example of focusing on not-even-actually-4K being an absolute waste this generation.

The 1060 can comfortably play Rise at medium to high settings and ~60fps

At what res? I'm talking about aiming for 30fps with 1440p-1620p and see it runs/compares. From the shots released by SE a ~$200 GPU may beat it.

Should really wait till the game comes out though.

I've already played the game at 2880x1620p capped at 30fps on my 970 with high textures, image quality is way above Pro.. A 1060 should beat it and play very high maybe.

Vipu

Banned
PC will always brute force better graphics but look how close this comparison is:

75w6me.png

LxsXSh.png

PS4 Pro is a £350 console. You're not going to get anything close to that in the PC space for even £450.
You can get gtx1070 for 450£ and that crushes some pixels.

Apart from the fact that one's a component and the other's a complete system! Which lets be honest massively inflates the cost as if the "uncompromising" approach doesn't apply to every other part of the PC, you aren't going to reap the full benefit of your top-of-the-line GPU.

People really need to get to grips with the $399 rrp being *THE* key aspect of the Pro as an offering.

Yes, I know this. When you're buying a new system from scratch you're gonna get more bang for your buck with a console

On the flip side, if you already have a PC you can spend that $399 and get a better GPU than what's in the PS4 pro. You can't upgrade an old PS4.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Nice video comparison, thanks dark10x & DF crew.
You guys are gonna be super busy in the upcoming months I can tell! Hahaha

marrec

Banned
At what res? I'm talking about aiming for 30fps with 1440p-1620p and see it runs/compares. From the shots released by SE a ~$200 GPU may beat it.

Should really wait till the game comes out though.

I've already played the game at 2880x1620p capped at 30fps on my 970 although the 3.5gb might cause and issue so best use a 1060 or AMD equivalent.

Sorry I should have been more specific.

The 1060 (Founders Edition) at Very High in 1440p averages around 54fps with dips down to the mid 30s.

My EVGA SC 1060 (further OCd to 2mghz non-boost clock speed) can get a solid 60fps at 1440p with "high" settings. If I messed around I could probably make it look better but meh.

That's with 8g 1600mhz DDR3 ram and an E5-1650 cpu.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
That's impressive looking for a 4K mode, considering what kind of hardware you need on the PC to run the game at that resolution acceptably. The actual high quality screenshot they released looks better than 1440 or 1600 upscaled to 4K, and whatever technique they're using is just slightly softer than native 4K.

I'm far more curious what the high settings 1080p mode in this game will be like though. They even listed some of the improvements it will have, but I forgot where I've read it.

Top Bottom