• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry - Skyrim on Switch Hands-on Look

Wow, they were very impressed with the Switch code. That's very reassuring. Game looks to run very smoothly.

Can't wait for the full analysis.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
cool if you're still in skyrim and want the portability.

if i ever get a switch i'll probably replay skyrim on it.

Robin64

If good sales of this ever lead to a port of New Vegas, I will be a very happy person. Best Fallout game. I mean, not really port begging, but I hope that good sales get Bethesda liking the Switch and supporting it more.

Lexxism

I remember when ppl cited this game as one of the many chalkboard reasons Switch would be DOA

Lol
I still remember a thread worried about it when it was shown during the November switch trailer. That it was just a mistske etc. Glorious thread

So this has 720p30 in portable mode and maybe 1080p30 in docked mode. And that with better graphics and performance than the X360/PS3 Version. And still people think the Switch is weaker than these two lol.

Day 1 for me. Doom and Fallout New Vegas would be nice too.

heringer

So this has 720p30 in portable mode and maybe 1080p30 in docked mode. And that with better graphics and performance than the X360/PS3 Version. And still people think the Switch is weaker than these two lol.

Probably 900p when docked.

Native 720p in handheld mode meanssounds like it's somewhere between 900p and 1080p in docked mode.

Neat, never played Skyrim before.

Is it worth playing if I have never played any Elder Scrolls game?

Try it out first. Elder Scrolls Games are terrible. They look like an ocean, but has the depth of a kiddy pool. The combat is terrible and mindless. It feels like your character is waving a stick mindlessly. The games are filled with game breaking glitches. Usually fans have to make patches to fix some of the shit. The art is beyond ugly. You'll be wandering aimlessly trying to find something interesting to do. People recommend mods, but that hilarious when you think about it. The core game isn't good enough, so rely on fans to mod the game to hell and back for something playable. Usually these games perform like ass, though this doesn't seem to be the case here, so yay.

z0m3le

Banned
The only reason Switch raises the clocks on dock mode is because the dock has fans to keep it cool while playing.
Considering cables aren't going to do that job, I don't think it's playing at dock clocks.

no, the fan is in the tablet. When plugged into the dock, it runs a higher clock simply from the power not coming from the battery. It is technically possible for Nintendo to push a software update to run the docked clocks when portable, though the current docked mode, will auto change the display to the HDMI port on the dock, and the screen will go blank.

I would doubt that it is running at the docked clocks, simply because the screen would currently turn off and would need a special firmware.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
I would doubt that it is running at the docked clocks, simply because the screen would currently turn off and would need a special firmware.

The assumption is that they are devkits and aren't hold to those limitations. IDK why would Bethesda do this, though.

Ricker

Native 720p in handheld mode meanssounds like it's somewhere between 900p and 1080p in docked mode.

Neat, never played Skyrim before.

And 30 fps locked is really good...well if you like this type of game,you should enjoy it...just remember its not just about the combat ;)

R00bot

no, the fan is in the tablet. When plugged into the dock, it runs a higher clock simply from the power not coming from the battery. It is technically possible for Nintendo to push a software update to run the docked clocks when portable, though the current docked mode, will auto change the display to the HDMI port on the dock, and the screen will go blank.

I believe they've already pushed an update like this that allows it to run at slightly higher clocks when undocked, although not many games utilize it. I remember reading about it a while back.

z0m3le

Banned
The assumption is that there are devkits and aren't hold to those limitations. IDK why would Bethesda do this, though.

It has 8 times as much ram as last gen consoles, a better CPU that is quad core and about twice the GPU performance of a 360 in portable mode. I don't see why anyone would think that Skyrim wouldn't run 720p 30fps locked on the Switch. It's even using Nvidia hardware which Skyrim favors.

I think people just really don't understand how powerful the Switch is, they tend to treat it like it is a handheld version of last gen consoles, but when you actually look at the numbers in context of the hardware, it's a clear step above last generation, even as a portable, so I doubt there is foul play going on in this demonstration.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
So between Skyrim Switch and Xenoblade 3DS....whats the biggest open world rpg on a portable right now ? Or am i missing something else.

RAWRferal

Dynamic resolution sounds most likely when docked, will probably fluctuate between 900p/1080p.

Now if only they talked about mod support. At a minimum PS4 levels, but portable Skyrim that is moddable on the level of the Xbox One version would be a dream come true.

Mithos

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I was about to say no, but actually I think we may have heard about that already? I can't remember.

So far officially they just said that there will be more richness in the variety of landscapes compared to X
Probably each area will be very big but smaller than X continents but there will be more Titans to explore

Nothing has been said about a comparison with the Wii one

Galava

Indeed they did.

Undocked
CPU: 1020MHz
GPU: 307.2MHz / 384MHz (boost mode)
MEM: 1331.2MHz

Docked
CPU: 1020MHz
GPU: 307.2MHz / 384MHz / 768MHz
MEM: 1331.2MHz / 1600MHz

Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...-boosts-handheld-switch-clocks-by-25-per-cent

Still I believe that many devs still do not take advantage of extra power, but they just make the resolution go to 900 or 1080p but making use of the same clock speed (that's why we see slow downs on docked and not on undocked on many games).

I'd say they need time to learn how to make use of that extra juice and make it work seamlessly.

z0m3le

Banned
I believe they've already pushed an update like this that allows it to run at slightly higher clocks when undocked, although not many games utilize it. I remember reading about it a while back.

That was before launch and is available to every retail unit, it's not a temporary boost mode though, it's a standard clock speed for all developers to use. The clock increase was from 307mhz to 384mhz for a gflops increase of 157gflops to 196gflops. Docked the Switch has 393gflops.

It's important to note that Switch is using a Maxwell+ GPU that is basically the precursor to Pascal and older consoles like the 360 use GPUs based on 2005 hardware, so it's 240gflops is extremely limited, and was actually only able to hit 217gflops, to make matters worse, the gpu efficiency is ~66% so that 217gflops performs around 143gflops on average, and the GPU is DX9 with some extended DX10 features, so it works harder to achieve the same effects as later hardware. This is why the 176gflops Wii U GPU was superior to the 360's 217gflops gpu, and why the Switch in portable mode is about twice as fast as the 360 gpu.

So far officially they just said that there will be more richness in the variety of landscapes compared to X
Probably each area will be very big but smaller than X continents but there will be more Titans to explore

Nothing has been said about a comparison with the Wii one
Ok.

But then again... Can the original Xenoblade be considered "open world"?

Chrisdk

Sounds pretty good. Fifa 18 delivered, Skyrim delivered...now if Rocket League runs well on Switch we i am set for this Holiday season in addition to Mario and XB2. Sweet.

Delivered? The games are not even out yet. Lets wait with the verdict until we can actually play them. Lots of times i have heard good news pre releases and then ending up waiting for several patches before the game is in a good state.

It's good pre release news though...

If the ad for this game doesn't involve some dude playing Skyrim in an actual mountain I don't know what Bethesda's marketing team is doing

KageMaru

Kind of disappointed they didn't go into any graphical settings. I figure they're saving that for the launch analysis where they can have proper time with the game.

No one in their right mind thinks the Switch is weaker than the PS360.

MisterR

Hopefully the performance holds up. These big Bethesda games usually start to fall apart performance wise the further you get into them as those saves get bigger and more complicated in relation to items in the world.

Maledict

Going to be blunt - initial impressions don't mean anything for this game. Initial impressions from Skyrim on the PS3 / 360 said the PS3 version was better. It was only after 10+ hours did the game breaking bugs and poor memory management issues come to light that basically made the game unplayable.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
damn that looked fantastic

what a perfect game to curl up with when the first winter blizzard hits

i dont remember but are these similar engines / companies as New Vegas? i never played it before and have always wanted to

Aaron D.

Try it out first. Elder Scrolls Games are terrible. They look like an ocean, but has the depth of a kiddy pool. The combat is terrible and mindless. It feels like your character is waving a stick mindlessly. The games are filled with game breaking glitches. Usually fans have to make patches to fix some of the shit. The art is beyond ugly. You'll be wandering aimlessly trying to find something interesting to do. People recommend mods, but that hilarious when you think about it. The core game isn't good enough, so rely on fans to mod the game to hell and back for something playable. Usually these games perform like ass, though this doesn't seem to be the case here, so yay.

Holy Hyperbole, Batman. LOL.

Plum

damn that looked fantastic

what a perfect game to curl up with when the first winter blizzard hits

i dont remember but are these similar engines / companies as New Vegas? i never played it before and have always wanted to

NV is on a less advanced version of the same engine Skyrim used and on the exact same version Fallout 3 used. Not developed by the same people (Obsidian as opposed to Bethesda in-house) but it's Bethesda's game and they'd definitely be able to re-release it if they wanted. Doubt they will, though.

Funny that they went looking for Xbox One X covergae and ended up focusing on Skyrim haha. It looks like a great port and I hope I'll properly enjoy Skyrim now it's on a portable.

z0m3le

Banned
NVidia was the best thing to happen to Nintendo in years.

Absolutely this 1000x. Nvidia hardware is grossly beyond AMD. AMD's Vega needs 2 8pin connectors? AMD needed 14nm to match Nvidia's 28nm Maxwell architecture in performance per watt?

It's going to be very interesting to see the next version of the Switch hardware, and where they go, I mean if they use 7nm hardware, it is going to be much closer to the next AMD consoles than people expect.

Damn...if we could get a Fallout 3/New Vegas collection on the Switch with the ability to add mods...I'd take that over a Doom port in a heartbeat (though a Doom port would be nice).

Top Bottom