• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry - Skyrim on Switch Hands-on Look

Caelus

Going to be blunt - initial impressions don't mean anything for this game. Initial impressions from Skyrim on the PS3 / 360 said the PS3 version was better. It was only after 10+ hours did the game breaking bugs and poor memory management issues come to light that basically made the game unplayable.

Well, it's 4 GB of RAM on the Switch vs. 512 MB on the 360/PS3. I'm not too worried.

Logash

I've owned the PS3 and PS4 version of this game and I've never been able to get into it. It feels like I should stop but the idea of a portable version is so enticing... It sucks because I loved Oblivion...

rudger

Do the menus have touch controls? Cause that would honestly make it worthwhile. navigating menus on 360 was atrocious...as was the loading. I legit threw the game down after dozens of hours because I knew I had to go through a series of doors and back for a quest. I'd had enough.

Any impressions on HD Rumble for this? It should be pretty good, feeling magic in your hand or the clash of swords.

Yeah I'm gonna second this question. I really think HD rumble would be very nice in this game, hopefully they've supported it.

Also definitely excited to hear about mod support. Game is looking great so far!

Tyaren

Why is DF so surprised it runs and looks good? Skyrim was a PS3/Xbox360 game and the Switch is a good deal more capable than those two consoles.

z0m3le

Banned
Why is DF so surprised it runs and looks good? Skyrim was a PS3/Xbox360 game and the Switch is a good deal more capable than those two consoles.

Because they are deep in the numbers, and a 196gflops handheld is being compared to 240gflops last gen consoles without context of what that means. They know the Switch as a portable is able to out perform last gen consoles, they just don't realize it's double the performance.

Widge

I'm really fancying getting the Switch. I wonder if Square Enix, who are seemingly happy to port their titles everywhere, will start bringing more titles across?

If I could have the PSone / remaster PS2 Final Fantasy series on it, I would be tipped over the edge. I keep having a hankering for my old Vita.

J@hranimo

Banned

Even so, Skyrim and well...all Bethesda games are notoriously buggy and have weird performance. We're still in the learning phase for the Switch and 3rd party games being ported to it.

Gestault

Native-looking resolution for the screen and very consistent 30 fps is a great combo for this version. I honstly had no idea what to expect, but this is sounding nice.

z0m3le

Banned
I'm really fancying getting the Switch. I wonder if Square Enix, who are seemingly happy to port their titles everywhere, will start bringing more titles across?

If I could have the PSone / remaster PS2 Final Fantasy series on it, I would be tipped over the edge. I keep having a hankering for my old Vita.

I just realized Switch rhymes with Twitch! OMG guys, I think Square Enix is bringing over the FF15 series to Switch, you heard it here last guys!

z0m3le

Banned
Hey, do you know if the reported flops numbers for mobile devices are often about fp16? Because there's a big performance delta otherwise.

Mobile devices use fp16 often yes. The Switch chip was actually the first time Nvidia did this too, and claimed it was the first 1TFLOPs mobile chip, but this is only fp16, and with Switch clocks it is 384gflops and 768gflops in full fp16 mode (which couldn't be used for games)

Realistically though, these GPUs are able to accomplish a mixed precision and developers have reported as much as 70% of their code being capable of running in fp16, meaning that you'd get a 30% FP32 gflops number and then a 70% FP16 number, so the 196gflops portable Switch would max out around 333gflops of Maxwell+ performance, while it's docked performance would be twice that. These are important numbers as engines start utilizing this Technic more and more, because PS4 and XB1 base consoles and XB1X do not support FP16 modes, making this a push for parity, with mixed precision the Switch comes in ~25% of the PS4's base performance in handheld for best case scenarios, while docked performance is ~50%, and it's even better when compared to XB1. Nintendo and Nvidia could have done a better job, but it's certainly better than Nintendo and AMD did with Wii U.

The only reason Switch raises the clocks on dock mode is because the dock has fans to keep it cool while playing.
Considering cables aren't going to do that job, I don't think it's playing at dock clocks.

The dock has 0 fans. Docked mode reverts to more power due to being plugged into a power source. Before you jump in and ask why then does it not run faster when just plugg d in is USB c and Nintendo.

random25

The GX video of this in portable is much better looking because of the viewing angle of the video footage. From what I can see it looks and runs good. Can't wait to play this one again, now on the go.

Neiteio

Oh, wow. Nice!

I originally wanted to play this back when it first came out, but I only had a PS3 at the time. As you may recall the PS3 version had this glitch at launch that caused the save file to balloon in size. So I skipped it. I later got a gaming PC, but I didn't get around to Skyrim. I now have a PS4 Pro, but I didn't pick up Skyrim there, either.

I'm interested to maybe pick it up for Switch. I remember I was really hyped for it back in the day. I especially liked how you can zoom in on every item you collect and it's fully modeled in 3D. The main theme is epic, too.

JoeLT

Wait so this is the Enhanced edition? So it can potentially have a lot of the same mods? Does this have mod support?

Man, I really wish this were Morrowind.

A Morrowind remaster would make me so ecstatic, yeah.

But Skyrim is good too. Portable Skyrim is gonna sell incredibly well... I'm actually holding off replaying it (which I do like 2-3 times a year) until the Switch version releases.

Wait so this is the Enhanced edition? So it can potentially have a lot of the same mods? Does this have mod support?

I don't think there's been any official word on mods yet. The early rumors said it had the same mod support the PS4 version has but those were just rumors.

watershed

Banned
I tried to play Skyrim Remastered on the PS4 but I couldn't get into it. The stiff animations, poor combat, and excessive menu navigation really burned me on the game. Yet, I always hear about how great it is and I want to give it another try. Maybe this Switch edition will be my final test drive.

Peltz

Mobile devices use fp16 often yes. The Switch chip was actually the first time Nvidia did this too, and claimed it was the first 1TFLOPs mobile chip, but this is only fp16, and with Switch clocks it is 384gflops and 768gflops in full fp16 mode (which couldn't be used for games)

Realistically though, these GPUs are able to accomplish a mixed precision and developers have reported as much as 70% of their code being capable of running in fp16, meaning that you'd get a 30% FP32 gflops number and then a 70% FP16 number, so the 196gflops portable Switch would max out around 333gflops of Maxwell+ performance, while it's docked performance would be twice that. These are important numbers as engines start utilizing this Technic more and more, because PS4 and XB1 base consoles and XB1X do not support FP16 modes, making this a push for parity, with mixed precision the Switch comes in ~25% of the PS4's base performance in handheld for best case scenarios, while docked performance is ~50%, and it's even better when compared to XB1. Nintendo and Nvidia could have done a better job, but it's certainly better than Nintendo and AMD did with Wii U.

50% of a PS4 when docked? I can believe it. ARMS sort of looks like it would be right at home on an XB1.

People teasing about a NV rerelease @-@...This world isn't that good. I would also want a doom release. Would be fun to try a legit FPS w motion controls.

People teasing about a NV rerelease @-@...This world isn't that good. I would also want a doom release. Would be fun to try a legit FPS w motion controls.
Shit, I'd take a Fallout 3/NV collection on the switch. Both would be amazing on the platform.

I want all the games ever on the switch, lol.

Neiteio

Just have to see Snake Pass to see how close the Switch is to the XB1/PS4. It's incredible really.
Mario Kart 8 DX looks better in motion than most games on my PS4 Pro and it runs at 1080p/60fps. With the right art direction and balance of effects, these games can look and run amazing.

Snake Pass is a poor example, though. As good as it looks, I bet a more capable dev could've optimized it better. (Not that Sumo is incapable; they're just new to Switch.)

I've got a feeling it'll be dynamic, 900p-1080p

Why?

It's Skyrim

the amount of people I've seen expecting a dynamic resolution so that this modern heavyweight, this incredibly heavy game, Skyrim, The Crysis of 2017, could possibly run on the Switch's hardware... is a little weird

I had Skyrim running @ 1080p 60fps on a GTS 8800 and a basic CPU. I think the Switch can manage 1080p 30fps

ryushe

Yeah I'm gonna second this question. I really think HD rumble would be very nice in this game, hopefully they've supported it.

Also definitely excited to hear about mod support. Game is looking great so far!
Hold on just a minute - this has mod support?

Zedark

Mario Kart 8 DX looks better in motion than most games on my PS4 Pro and it runs at 1080p/60fps. With the right art direction and balance of effects, these games can look and run amazing.

Snake Pass is a poor example, though. As good as it looks, I bet a more capable dev could've optimized it better. (Not that Sumo is incapable; they're just new to Switch.)
His point was that Switch was unexpectedly close to the 8th gen twins.

Top Bottom