• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry - Skyrim on Switch Hands-on Look

Video with John and Richard

Feature on Eurogamer

John and Richard went hands-on with Skyrim on Switch, playing solely in handheld mode. It basically held a rock solid 30fps at all times while rendering natively in 720p to the Switch's screen. They did some traversal and light combat and it all went off - to quote Richard - without a hitch. Ha!

There was also a brief glimpse at loading times near the end of the recording.

Richard Leadbetter said:
But if what we played is indeed fully representative of how the final game shapes up when running in mobile mode, the Switch port of Skyrim should be well worth checking out. We've tried playing the game on an Intel Atom-based tablet with integrated graphics and the experience is nothing like as good as this - if you're looking to play a fully portable Skyrim, you're looking at a larger gaming laptop to offer the visual feature set and performance the Switch version is offering. Ultimately, 15 minutes of hands-on time with a game only goes so far - especially in a vast game like Skyrim - but what we've seen so far holds up really well, and we're looking forward to taking a deeper look at the final release.

---

Update: Looks like the Switch version is based on the Special Edition. Some detectives in this thread have compared like-for-like areas across the Switch version and Xbox 360 version, uncovering lighting and detail not present in the original game on Switch:

I know the quality is shit... Here is a small comp.

X360
Bzci9it.png

Switch
4VYYqqF.jpg

X360
XXln4JZ.png

Switch
AnEVf2H.jpg

Digital Foundry's John weighs in:

Well, looking at the evidence in this thread, it does seem based on SE rather than vanilla. It's been a while so, on the floor, it was hard to say (since the SE also looks dated). Wasnt there some dynamic depth of field on SE though? That's not in the Switch version from what I could see.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I have been wanting to replay this since 2011, and the Switch is the perfect place. Still no word of a release date?

On the handheld screen, the title looked like it was rendering at native 720p, and while graphics comparisons aren't really viable on the showfloor - especially on mobile screens - the Switch version of Skyrim delivered an accomplished mobile experience. It's the consistency in performance that's really impressive, especially compared to the last-gen versions of the game. The wobbly frame-rates with hitching and stuttering during traversal and combat simply aren't an issue on Switch: that 30 frames per second is as close to locked as you're going to get.

This is all I needed to know.

Robin64

Nice that it performs well. The notion of playing Skyrim in a handheld configuration is appealing, even though I played vanilla Skyrim to death on the Xbox 360.

Though I've not played any of the official expansions, so those will be fun to tackle too.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Sounds pretty good. Fifa 18 delivered, Skyrim delivered...now if Rocket League runs well on Switch we i am set for this Holiday season in addition to Mario and XB2. Sweet.

sinonobu

Banned
I have been wanting to replay this since 2011, and the Switch is the perfect place. Still no word of a release date?

I believe that recent Amazon listing stated that it will be released on November 28th. We'll probably get the official release date announcement on fall Direct though.

MrKeinov

I've been mainly a console gamer for the last decade and this excites me so much. Skipped it on PS3 6 years ago because of the technical problems last gen versions have. PS4 version that came last year seem to provide a decent enough experience but I didn't jump in because I already knew the switch version was on the way. It makes me happy that this is indeed comparable to steady PS4 version. Day 1 for me.

PS3 version was a unplayable mess, so yea, this will be my first real time to play skyrim.

It's all kind of impressive to be able to play that on the go with smooth framerate and 720p.

awesome, day 1

jonno394

I'm hoping what we're seeing is true handheld mode, if thats the experience i'll get, then i'm rebuying Skyrim.

However, this comment has me wary

It's all looking impressive so far, but there are a couple of caveats to bear in mind. Firstly, the handheld unit looked very much like retail Switch hardware, but it was connected via a meaty-looking cable harness leading into a closed box, and we're told by Switch developers that debug units can run the full-fat GPU clocks in what otherwise looks like the handheld mode.

LordKano

I'm hoping what we're seeing is true handheld mode, if thats the experience i'll get, then i'm rebuying Skyrim.

Seems unneccesary to me. So far, there hasn't been any case of a game performing better during hands-on than at launch.

And this right here is a large chunk of the Switch's appeal in a nutshell, for me. Even last gen ports - albeit a remastered one here - become appealing with some extra power and portability in the mix.

EVH

Don't get why they dont male a good gameplay trailer showing the important stuff in this version, but whatever.

With Rabbids, Skyrim, Mario, Rocket League and so the Switch will be served till christmas. Still missing FPS like CoD, DOOM and Titanfall.

Don't get why they dont male a good gameplay trailer showing the important stuff in this version, but whatever.

With Rabbids, Skyrim, Mario, Rocket League and so the Switch will be served till christmas. Still missing FPS like CoD, DOOM and Titanfall.

agreed
A portable Doom version would sell a shiton.
alone for the multiplayer

Kevin

Pretty neat to see stuff like this in a handheld. I wish more developers would support the Switch. Looks like the Skyrim port is going to turn out better then I was expecting.

Hopefully Bethesda and other pubs see a market for porting more of their legacy titles. Portability really ups the allure of even so-so ports.

Fallout 3, Fallout NV, Oblivion, older Elder Scross, classic Doom, Mass Effect, Arkham series, Assassins Creed series, etc.

The only reason Switch raises the clocks on dock mode is because the dock has fans to keep it cool while playing.
Considering cables aren't going to do that job, I don't think it's playing at dock clocks.

13ruce

Banned
Will get it probably the motion controls + master sword in game is enough for me lol hopefully you can enchant it then it will be my main weapon lol.

Motion control + magic is gonna be cool as heck.

Great vid sounds like the port is very good and not a rush job.

Robin64

It's especially worth it if you never played any TES game before.

I do recommend you focus on ranged combat if you want the combat to be fun, though.

Hm, I wonder if having motion controls will help melee combat feel fun. Because yeah, in normal Skyrim it wasn't amazing.

13ruce

Banned
Hm, I wonder if having motion controls will help melee combat feel fun. Because yeah, in normal Skyrim it wasn't amazing.

Probably makes both magic and melee more fun to use. I dunno i kinda like waggling my controller to do combat lol that's why i love the wii version of Twilight Princess so much, loved Skyward Sword and adored Metroid Prime Trilogy.

I don't think the dock has fans. Just the console.

I stand corrected, then.
Though, I suppose running at dock clocks while having the handheld display on would be a significant increase in heat and something DF would notice, perhaps? Unless Nintendo is somehow preventing that, but I don't think they're going out of their way to mask a Switch running at dock speeds.

Robin64

Any impressions on HD Rumble for this? It should be pretty good, feeling magic in your hand or the clash of swords.

Top Bottom