• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry - Skyrim on Switch Hands-on Look

Yeah because no one played Skyrim before. That was the trouble, it was such a small, undiscovered gem.

People owned the game, but many never really played it as much as the liked or hoped to

Being portable will dramatically increase peoples playtime, much like what occurred with Zelda, the convenience of portability should not be overlooked

JoeLT

Is the game going to be 1080p docked? If so would be weird if it pulled a Minecraft and somehow managed to have a smoother framerate than the PS4 XB1 versions at 1080p, still don't get how that happened.
The version of Minecraft on Xbox and PS4 isn't the same Minecraft on Switch. The Switch version is based off the Bedrock version that is currently being ported to Xbox and is in beta atm. It runs on a potato on PC and low end smartphones so should run a lot better on Xbox One.

I would really love to see it running at 1080p docked. Has there been a technical breakdown as to how some games are going 720p-1080p undocked and docked but then some games only get to 900p?

Caelus

Has there been a technical breakdown as to how some games are going 720p-1080p undocked and docked but then some games only get to 900p?

No formal breakdown, just informal observations that the SE doesn't really push the XBO/PS4 and runs at native 4k on PS4 Pro, and that this version seems to be based on the SE.

Even with that, Skyrim itself is an old game and runs at high resolutions on laptops with integrated graphics, so an optimized port for the Switch running at 1080p wouldn't be too much of a surprise for me.

So are these graphics based off the definitive edition? Or the vanilla 2011 game
I know the quality is shit... Here is a small comp.

X360
Bzci9it.png

Switch
4VYYqqF.jpg

X360
XXln4JZ.png

Switch
AnEVf2H.jpg

Answered before but as you can see from above the game is based off the definitive edition as it has much better lighting, textures, and foliage compared to 360.

Cheech

Damn those digs at Microsoft. I can't believe im considering buying this again, portable mode is a very attractive feature.

I'm going to buy it even with no Switch, just to support one of the best games ever made. Yes, I'm listening to the soundtrack right now.

FIFA and Skyrim are going to be two of the best selling Switch games, period. Great for the mass market. Rockstar would be wise to port GTA V to it aswell. Money for old rope.

JoV

What sort of mods do other console versions get?

I assume massive gameplay altering mods, like Frostfall, are out of the question.

Which is a pity, as that mod in particular would give the game a real BotW vibe...but with Ninty any sort of mod support will come as a pleasant surprise.

JoeLT

What sort of mods do other console versions get?

I assume massive gameplay altering mods, like Frostfall, are out of the question.

Which is a pity, as that mod in particular would give the game a real BotW vibe...but with Ninty any sort of mod support will come as a pleasant surprise.
Correct me if I'm wrong but the exact same mods you can get in the in-game mod store on PC. (At least on Xbox, not PS4, PS4 mods are limited to script and no new assets.)
Not sure if there's limitations to publishing mods to the in game mod browser in comparison with Nexus Mods. I haven't heard of any.

Rellik

People owned the game, but many never really played it as much as the liked or hoped to

Being portable will dramatically increase peoples playtime, much like what occurred with Zelda, the convenience of portability should not be overlooked

Skyrim is a constant sight on the most played games on Steam.

People play the hell out of it. And now more people will, which is great.

TLZ

Banned
OP. You should also mention when they say this is only comparable to and based on last gen, doesn't come close to current gen.

So what we're basically getting is a last gen port that's a little improved on a portable machine. And this should be good enough.

On TV though, not worth it. But we're all here for it's portability.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
OP. You should also mention when they say this is only comparable to and based on last gen, doesn't come close to current gen.

So what we're basically getting is a last gen port that's a little improved on a portable machine. And this should be good enough.

Well, looking at the evidence in this thread, it does seem based on SE rather than vanilla. It's been a while so, on the floor, it was hard to say (since the SE also looks dated). Wasnt there some dynamic depth of field on SE though? That's not in the Switch version from what I could see.

Irminsul

That's not what they're saying at all, though. They're talking about the raw horsepower of Switch's GPU.

And as has been mentioned multiple times already, Skyrim on Switch is based on the "current gen" version. I mean, you can see for yourself if you want in this very thread.

Did you look at the comparison pictures on the last couple of pages?

720p native and 30fps locked framerate, which ps3/360 both struggled with.

Also, better lighting and significantly better textures and more foliage.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
FIFA and Skyrim are going to be two of the best selling Switch games, period. Great for the mass market. Rockstar would be wise to port GTA V to it aswell. Money for old rope.

I think CoD and GTA V will likely happen next year - if not they wont happen at all.

Graphically it looks much better than the PS360 version and is comparable to the PS4/X1 version. Obviously. So what do you really want?

Chinner

Banned

Well, looking at the evidence in this thread, it does seem based on SE rather than vanilla. It's been a while so, on the floor, it was hard to say (since the SE also looks dated). Wasnt there some dynamic depth of field on SE though? That's not in the Switch version from what I could see.
lol.

I have a feeling this is getting kicked into next year, freaking end of August and no release date yet? Damn.

The problem with GTAV is R* is all about selling online currency, they probably see that as a higher priority than a few million Switch sales.
...but I would love that on switch.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I think CoD and GTA V will likely happen next year - if not they wont happen at all.

I actually can't see either of these happening. Modern Warfare remastered is very likely though IMO.

I have a feeling this is getting kicked into next year, freaking end of August and no release date yet? Damn.

Maybe they just haven't decided when is best to release it, the end of this year is stacked, particularly for Switch owners.

Lol

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I actually can't see either of these happening. Modern Warfare remastered is very likely though IMO.
Wait....what ? You cant see either of IP happening on Switch but Modern Warfare is very likely ?
I wasnt specifically talking about the next/new mainline CoD but any type of CoD on Switch.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Wait....what ? You cant see either of IP happening on Switch but Modern Warfare is very likely ?
I wasnt specifically talking about the next/new mainline CoD but any type of CoD on Switch.

Ah right, well then we are on the same page. I don't think Rockstar would be bothered tbh

Fbh

Looks really nice.

I'm not the biggest fan of the game (combat is shit IMO)...but I might replay it in portable mode

Rellik

Looks really nice.

I'm not the biggest fan of the game (combat is shit IMO)...but I might replay it in portable mode

If you dislike the combat then I recommend going with an archer build. I found it much better than swinging a weapon or using magic.

Robin64

Ok. I officially want one of these machines. Think I'm going to hold for an Xmas bundle though.

I would suggest picking one up whenever you can simply due to the scarcity. They are currently super hard to get hold and with Mario on the horizon it's only going to get worse.

Eh? Even ignoring the constant presence on Steam's charts, Todd help a talk a while after the game launched (I think GDC?) and revealed that even on consoles the game had an AVERAGE playtime across all users of about 70 hours. That's insane. And for the game to still be the go-to fantasy RPG of the day (alongside The Witcher 3 now at least) you can bet it's been played to death.

Portability will indeed be awesome, but it's not like it's essential for the game to be enjoyed. I play this game on my PC more than anything else even in 2017, but work away from home for up to 7 days in a row all summer. Skyrim in my hotel room? Yep, that will sell me on a Switch. My playtime will go up in this game, but it was already higher than everything else anyway.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
If you dislike the combat then I recommend going with an archer build. I found it much better than swinging a weapon or using magic.

I'd been using the Etheral Bow during my last Skyrim sessions and it's been far more fun then melee weapons.

Also makes it a head scratcher when people complain about the combat, because you're not limited to only melee weapons.

I'd been using the Etheral Bow during my last Skyrim sessions and it's been far more fun then melee weapons.

Also makes it a head scratcher when people complain about the combat, because you're not limited to only melee weapons.
A timed block mod helps wonders too. And dual wield blocking for those that fight with two weapons or a spell in one hand. I really want to see Bethesda and Nintendo questioned about mod support.

Cartho

I never played the DLC for Skyrim either so I'm looking forward to doing that here. I've also never played a stealth build in the game, my previous characters being pure fighter, pure mage and a hybrid battlemage thing. Gonna enjoy being a sneaky fucker with a bow!

Robin64

Although you can do every guild on one character, it does feel better to decide your "role" and then do the appropriate stuff only. So going with bows and stealth? Make sure you do the Thief's Guild stuff. (And maybe Dark Brotherhood, if you are into that..)

sirap

The best way to play Skyrim is to approach it like an isekai.

Break the game. Exploit trading. Troll NPCs. Steal everything.

Top Bottom